AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I returned my JBL Synthesis SDP-55 today. Just too many issues with the firmware right out of the gate and I guess I am not patient enough to wait for them to be resolved. I sold my Marantz 7705 before getting the SDP-55 so now I am without a processor. I really wanted a processor with Dirac room correction and so I'm taking a look at the XMC-2. I realize the support for Dirac is not there yet but it is coming. Is the XMC-2 firmware stable at this point? I'm okay with a few bugs but I do not want to be rebooting the processor constantly. I do not have a dedicated HT room. The processor will be used on a daily basis watching TV, movies, and live sports. Music is much more important to me than movies. I typically listen in stereo with my Revel F228Be fronts along with my 2 Rythmik subs. I would mostly stream Tidal and Amazon when I had my Marantz 7704. The XMC-2 doesn't appear to having any streaming services built into it. How are people streaming internet music who have the XMC-2? My surrounds and surround backs are Revel W783 in walls. I sold my Revel C208 center and am looking to replace it with a Revel C426Be center channel. I have no height speakers and don't plan to get them so when I watch movies its in 7.2. I'm a bit concerned with the XMC-2 and doing room correction with my 2 subs. An alternative to the XMC-2 would be the Marantz 8805 but I'm intrigued by the XMC-2 and I'd really like to go with Dirac room correction and not Audyssey. Apologies for the rambling, just looking from some thought from current owners. Thanks.

Maybe get an older 7704/7705, refurbed Denon x6500 or Marantz 7013 to hold you over?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I returned my JBL Synthesis SDP-55 today. Just too many issues with the firmware right out of the gate and I guess I am not patient enough to wait for them to be resolved. I sold my Marantz 7705 before getting the SDP-55 so now I am without a processor. I really wanted a processor with Dirac room correction and so I'm taking a look at the XMC-2. I realize the support for Dirac is not there yet but it is coming. Is the XMC-2 firmware stable at this point? I'm okay with a few bugs but I do not want to be rebooting the processor constantly. I do not have a dedicated HT room. The processor will be used on a daily basis watching TV, movies, and live sports. Music is much more important to me than movies. I typically listen in stereo with my Revel F228Be fronts along with my 2 Rythmik subs. I would mostly stream Tidal and Amazon when I had my Marantz 7704. The XMC-2 doesn't appear to having any streaming services built into it. How are people streaming internet music who have the XMC-2? My surrounds and surround backs are Revel W783 in walls. I sold my Revel C208 center and am looking to replace it with a Revel C426Be center channel. I have no height speakers and don't plan to get them so when I watch movies its in 7.2. I'm a bit concerned with the XMC-2 and doing room correction with my 2 subs. An alternative to the XMC-2 would be the Marantz 8805 but I'm intrigued by the XMC-2 and I'd really like to go with Dirac room correction and not Audyssey. Apologies for the rambling, just looking from some thought from current owners. Thanks.
Have you considered the Monoprice HTP-1? Fully working Dirac Live for starters.

·
Registered
506 Posts

You ought to message @deewan about this, because he was one of the original troubleshooters for the RMC-1, and he has been for over a year. He may end up switching from that to the SDP-55! I will say, with the discount card, you can end up getting the XMC-2 for a very good price.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Emotiva took care of a lot the performance and usability issues with the last couple firmware updates.

Sound quality is outstanding for both music and movies. It’s nice with Disney+ all these Atmos movies. I use tidal for music and I can listen to music for hours on my Revel F208s so if you have the F228Be then it’ll be even more amazing.

Just waiting for Dirac but in the meantime, enjoying my XMC2 on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I think it is going to be amount a month for Dirac.
I think it's going to be longer than that for Dirac.

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting attempting to return the JBL SDP-55. What a train freak that was. I really wanted the JBL to be good. But it was unusable and JBL techs just kept saying "try reloading the firmware" despite it already being loaded. For all the people who LOVE to dig on Emotiva for their processor roll outs, at no point was my RMC-1 in the same nearly non-working state as my SDP-55 is right now. The responses from JBL customer service have stopped since I started providing them proof of my steps taken when I do the FW update and video proof of my issues. At least with Emotiva I always felt the customer service was top notch (KeithL excluded). I joke but I've talked to Damon enough at Emotiva while throwing ideas around that I'll be upset if I don't get a family Christmas card from him this year. ;)

You ought to message @deewan about this, because he was one of the original troubleshooters for the RMC-1, and he has been for over a year. He may end up switching from that to the SDP-55! I will say, with the discount card, you can end up getting the XMC-2 for a very good price.
The current state of the Emotiva processors is fairly stable. I'd say all my remaining issues are small inconveniences instead of show stoppers. Dirac is still missing. Every now and then I would have a failed hdmi sync. But the sound quality is still there, I think the value is still there and gosh darn it I'd pay a premium price to deal with Damon instead of the "I'm not sure... just try loading the FW for a fourth time" JBL tech I've been dealing with this week. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

·
88 Posts
Maybe get an older 7704/7705, refurbed Denon x6500 or Marantz 7013 to hold you over?
I actually moved a Denon receiver I had that I use to drive my outdoor speakers into my home theater. It's a Denon AVR-X3500W. It works fine for my outdoor speakers but is certainly the weakest link in my home theater. It's winter here in New England so I don't have my outdoor speakers setup but in a few months I'll want them and will need to move Denon back. I'll need to have a new preprocessor before then.

·
88 Posts
I think it's going to be longer than that for Dirac.

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting attempting to return the JBL SDP-55. What a train freak that was. I really wanted the JBL to be good. But it was unusable and JBL techs just kept saying "try reloading the firmware" despite it already being loaded. For all the people who LOVE to dig on Emotiva for their processor roll outs, at no point was my RMC-1 in the same nearly non-working state as my SDP-55 is right now. The responses from JBL customer service have stopped since I started providing them proof of my steps taken when I do the FW update and video proof of my issues. At least with Emotiva I always felt the customer service was top notch (KeithL excluded). I joke but I've talked to Damon enough at Emotiva while throwing ideas around that I'll be upset if I don't get a family Christmas card from him this year. ;)

The current state of the Emotiva processors is fairly stable. I'd say all my remaining issues are small inconveniences instead of show stoppers. Dirac is still missing. Every now and then I would have a failed hdmi sync. But the sound quality is still there, I think the value is still there and gosh darn it I'd pay a premium price to deal with Damon instead of the "I'm not sure... just try loading the FW for a fourth time" JBL tech I've been dealing with this week. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
I have been following your posts on the SDP-55 thread since you got your unit last week. Thank you so much for your posts! Mine was delivered this past Tuesday but base on yours and several other folks who had gotten their units the week before I decided to not even open the box. I had per-ordered it 6 weeks earlier and really wanted it based on its features but I'm sorry I need something that works. It's used by my family on a daily basis. I'm a lot more tolerant of screwing around with the HT system than my family. It has to work and it has to be simple for them. It just wasn't going to work out. Anyways, the dealer really wanted me to be patient with it but in the end they emailed me a UPS return label and I sent it back yesterday. Still feeling good about it today despite not having a processor right now.

Reactions: deewan

·
88 Posts
Emotiva took care of a lot the performance and usability issues with the last couple firmware updates.

Sound quality is outstanding for both music and movies. It’s nice with Disney+ all these Atmos movies. I use tidal for music and I can listen to music for hours on my Revel F208s so if you have the F228Be then it’ll be even more amazing.

Just waiting for Dirac but in the meantime, enjoying my XMC2 on a daily basis.
I couldn't be happier with my F228s. They are amazing and by far the best speakers I have ever owned. It's odd, at times I have felt guilty for spending so much money on speakers but I get over it quickly when I sit down and listen to music on them. My thought was that the SPD-55 was going to be a perfect match for them and maybe someday it will but it is not ready yet.

So how do you stream Tidal using your XMC-2? With the Marantz is was very easy using the HEOS app on my phone. I could bring up the HEOS app on the phone, turn on the processor, select a music service ( I use Tidal or Amazon Music), do a search for an artist, title, music genre, hit
play button, and voilà I'd be listening to CD quality music on my speakers. The whole family could do it, which at times with the kids was not a blessing. :) I'd love to have that convenience using the XMC-2 but I need high definition lossless audio, no bluetooth streaming for me.

·
88 Posts
Discount card? What discount card?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discount card? What discount card?
Some time ago, Emotiva gave a 40 percent discount card to folks who had previously owned one of their processors that had problems. You can still find unused cards on eBay. They fluctuate in price (I actually own one that I purchased last year about this time). The only trick is you can’t get a refund for the discount card if you return the processor. I’ve seen the price for the card go from 550ish to 800ish with maybe a normal price being around 650ish this last year? So if you used it on an XMC-2, and you bought the card for 700, the XMC-2 price would be 2500 (retail minus discount card plus price paid for card). Same principle for the others (so the discount gets very steep for the RMC). I keep thinking the cards will get used up and prices will rise for them, but it has been pretty steady this last year. That could change once Dirac is successfully implemented because the demand for them may rise.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my F228s. They are amazing and by far the best speakers I have ever owned. It's odd, at times I have felt guilty for spending so much money on speakers but I get over it quickly when I sit down and listen to music on them. My thought was that the SPD-55 was going to be a perfect match for them and maybe someday it will but it is not ready yet.

So how do you stream Tidal using your XMC-2? With the Marantz is was very easy using the HEOS app on my phone. I could bring up the HEOS app on the phone, turn on the processor, select a music service ( I use Tidal or Amazon Music), do a search for an artist, title, music genre, hit
play button, and voilà I'd be listening to CD quality music on my speakers. The whole family could do it, which at times with the kids was not a blessing. :) I'd love to have that convenience using the XMC-2 but I need high definition lossless audio, no bluetooth streaming for me.
I’m pretty old fashioned and cheap lol. i have my old iMac that I use connected via HDMI. Works perfectly fine imho and in exclusive mode, it sounds great.

And no one in my family uses my stuff. They just aren’t that interested in it. My kids would rather watch tv on their phones over my OLED tv so oh well.

i heard the F228Be at Axpona - such a satisfying speaker to listen to. My buddy got the Salon2 a couple of years ago and they are phenomenal too. I like Revels because they do both music and movies very well with the big center ch speaker.

The XMC2 is such a great deal in the processor world - and with Emotiva’s commitment to really improving the quality (im on the beta team so thats my source) you can put the money you saved towards something else. Again just so everyone understands, my XMC2 works great and i use it every day. p

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am starting Processor shopping and the XMC-2 grabbed my attention. I am currently using a Marantz SR7010 as pre pro and was happy to read that the XMC-2 was a big improvement over the Marantz for some users. I am curious to have more feedback after a couple weeks of usage.

Do you know if on the XMC-2 it's possible to have Front Wides speakers without having Rear surrounds (5.1.4 + Front Wides). It is not possible on the HTP-1 so I scratched it off my list.

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am starting Processor shopping and the XMC-2 grabbed my attention. I am currently using a Marantz SR7010 as pre pro and was happy to read that the XMC-2 was a big improvement over the Marantz for some users. I am curious to have more feedback after a couple weeks of usage.

Do you know if on the XMC-2 it's possible to have Front Wides speakers without having Rear surrounds (5.1.4 + Front Wides). It is not possible on the HTP-1 so I scratched it off my list.

Thanks!
I just checked. Mine is configured 5.1.4 with no rear surrounds. Front Width is an option. The choices are Lg Front Width, Sm Front Width and Bi Amp Front

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I just checked. Mine is configured 5.1.4 with no rear surrounds. Front Width is an option. The choices are Lg Front Width, Sm Front Width and Bi Amp Front
Awesome! Thanks for checking!

Also, any major difference between the XMC-2 and RMC-1L?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for checking!

Also, any major difference between the XMC-2 and RMC-1L?
I have found many things in the menus that are not documented in the manual. Glad to help.

I don't know any more about RMC-1L than is on the Emotiva site and specs. I will say that I had an XMC-1 for a year and a half and the XMC-2 sounded better to me right away, in terms of clarity and brightness of the sound. At this point its performance is stable and predictable ... possibly more so than the XMC-1.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have found many things in the menus that are not documented in the manual. Glad to help.

I don't know any more about RMC-1L than is on the Emotiva site and specs. I will say that I had an XMC-1 for a year and a half and the XMC-2 sounded better to me right away, in terms of clarity and brightness of the sound. At this point its performance is stable and predictable ... possibly more so than the XMC-1.
Any sound quality difference between the XMC-2 and RMC-1 that should be expected?

I do not need more than 16 channels and can't seem to justify the $2k price difference.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Any sound quality difference between the XMC-2 and RMC-1 that should be expected?

I do not need more than 16 channels and can't seem to justify the $2k price difference.
So the sound quality of the RMC1 and the RMC1L is identical. The RMC1 is expandable and has expansion slots in a larger chassis.

The sound quality of the XMC2 and the RMC1/L for 2 channel music is identical. The RMC1/L has dual front displays w a multi-function control knob vs what you see in the XMC2. Also in the back, some of the connectors are better quality in the higher models.

The sound quality for movies should be better on the RMC1/L because all channels are fully differential in “mono” mode. This mean 1 DAC for each channel. This “mono” mode is supposed to squeeze out higher s/n in the AKM4490 DACs. On the XMC2, only the front 3 channels are in “mono” mode and the rest are in stereo mode. All the channels are still fully balanced, but not all channels are in mono mode as I just said.

I don’t regret my decision to get the XMC2 one bit as it sounds phenomenal for music and movies. But as I said before, if the RMC1L was out when I bought my XMC2, I would have strongly considered the RMC1L.

I never considered the RMC1 because I don’t believe in paying for expansion slots when so many times the manufacturer had great intentions with their design but it doesn’t end up as well as originally intended. So if you have no need for anything more than 16 channels then you probably know what you are leaning towards.

The XMC2 is the best deal among the Dirac processors - or will be when it comes out (hopefully in the next 2 months). Dirac is for all 16 channels and I believe it’s 1 memory slot.

Then they’ll need to work on Dirac bass management. This is something I would definitely get for $349 (I think). But the integration will need to happen first so I would hope for September/October 2020 at the earliest but that’s just my guess.

I’ll be very happy once I get Dirac and I can wait on the bass management.

It’s hard to believe it’s the same unit - my XMC2 from a month ago. The snappy controls and now ARC working - I have no complaints.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So the sound quality of the RMC1 and the RMC1L is identical. The RMC1 is expandable and has expansion slots in a larger chassis.

The sound quality of the XMC2 and the RMC1/L for 2 channel music is identical. The RMC1/L has dual front displays w a multi-function control knob vs what you see in the XMC2. Also in the back, some of the connectors are better quality in the higher models.

The sound quality for movies should be better on the RMC1/L because all channels are fully differential in “mono” mode. This mean 1 DAC for each channel. This “mono” mode is supposed to squeeze out higher s/n in the AKM4490 DACs. On the XMC2, only the front 3 channels are in “mono” mode and the rest are in stereo mode. All the channels are still fully balanced, but not all channels are in mono mode as I just said.

I don’t regret my decision to get the XMC2 one bit as it sounds phenomenal for music and movies. But as I said before, if the RMC1L was out when I bought my XMC2, I would have strongly considered the RMC1L.

I never considered the RMC1 because I don’t believe in paying for expansion slots when so many times the manufacturer had great intentions with their design but it doesn’t end up as well as originally intended. So if you have no need for anything more than 16 channels then you probably know what you are leaning towards.

The XMC2 is the best deal among the Dirac processors - or will be when it comes out (hopefully in the next 2 months). Dirac is for all 16 channels and I believe it’s 1 memory slot.

Then they’ll need to work on Dirac bass management. This is something I would definitely get for $349 (I think). But the integration will need to happen first so I would hope for September/October 2020 at the earliest but that’s just my guess.

I’ll be very happy once I get Dirac and I can wait on the bass management.

It’s hard to believe it’s the same unit - my XMC2 from a month ago. The snappy controls and now ARC working - I have no complaints.
I also wonder if the sound quality would even be noticeable under many (most?) circumstances.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would like to think the RMC1L would sound better. My best speakers are my front 3 and there is a drop off but if you have top level speakers all around then it may be a factor.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! I am curious to know to what extent there is a sound difference between the two units. Another question, what pre pro were you using before and did you notice an improvement?

The RMC-1L is tempting but being in Canada, the exchange rate is terrible (especially after yesterday). You guys in the US are lucky!

I had the HTP-1 in mind but it won't run Front Wides without Rear Surrounds, which I don't have.

Hard choice between XMC-2 and RMC-1L...

161 - 180 of 519 Posts