AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 649 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
At 9ft, the Falcon screen material weave is not visible to me. This was one of two main concerns I had in choosing which material to use for our screen. Perhaps someone with better vision might see it closer? but even down to 6ft it looks good to us.

After many "tests" using different materials behind the 3 screen samples I was comparing, I concluded the gain of the Falcon was very comparable to the XD material. (Using ONLY our visual reference for comparison, no meters used) I studied the gain as best I could (again only from a visual reference) using different input signals, brightness settings and different movie scenes etc., since 3D is also a concern for me I really wanted to compare gain. I feel the Falcon was equally as bright as the XD and much brighter than the UF material. Secondly, I could clearly see the weave in the XD material at 9ft and even as close as about 5-6ft.

I'm in the process of building my first dedicated HT so I'm a newbie when it comes to HT screens. My testing is crude to say the least in comparison to technical methods of testing, but hopefully this will give a bit of useful info to others in the same boat as myself. IMO, the Falcon material beat the other two samples hands down. Thanks for all your help Rich! :D

BTW hifiaudio2, I've just read through your build thread, fantastic job and a beautiful outcome on your theater room. Congrats! :)

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have requested a sample as I am looking for a new AT screen (coming from a non AT fixed frame) and wanted to see if anyone was watching 3D on this Falcon fabric and if I should expect a different PQ compared to watching 3D on a non AT Screen?

Thanks!

Hi Barrettmr,
I spent quite a bit of time deciding which material to use and just finally purchased Falcon material for a DIY AT screen. I can't say compared to a non-AT screen when it comes to 3D, but I can say that the Falcon material looked better than the other AT materials I compared it against. I "tested" three types (as I posted above) and the Falcon was the best looking PQ to me and I can't see the weave at 9ft. 3D is also important to us so I spent a lot of time comparing the gain as best I could. Again, I think the Falcon gain was as good or better than the other AT materials. Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Barrettmr,
I spent quite a bit of time deciding which material to use and just finally purchased Falcon material for a DIY AT screen. I can't say compared to a non-AT screen when it comes to 3D, but I can say that the Falcon material looked better than the other AT materials I compared it against. I "tested" three types (as I posted above) and the Falcon was the best looking PQ to me and I can't see the weave at 9ft. 3D is also important to us so I spent a lot of time comparing the gain as best I could. Again, I think the Falcon gain was as good or better than the other AT materials. Hope this helps.

John

Great thanks for the quick reply, that makes me feel much better, I have the Epson 5020UB which has a good amount to light power for 3d so it sounds like I would have a good experience with this screen, I'm going from a 106" diagonal HDTV screen to this 120" to 130" AT screen, my first row is about 14' back so I think it should be a good fit!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great thanks for the quick reply, that makes me feel much better, I have the Epson 5020UB which has a good amount to light power for 3d so it sounds like I would have a good experience with this screen, I'm going from a 106" diagonal HDTV screen to this 120" to 130" AT screen, my first row is about 14' back so I think it should be a good fit!
Great. I'm glad the bit of info I offered may help you out. When you get your sample, you'll see what I'm talking about. Do you have other sample types to compare against?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well I took a good look at all the info on the website and read all the reviews here and decided to order now without the samples... I need to complete my remodel in about 2 week and after speaking with Rich I felt good about going for it :-O

I'll post back once I am done and share my experience with my setup!

Reactions: snickers1

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Well I took a good look at all the info on the website and read all the reviews here and decided to order now without the samples... I need to complete my remodel in about 2 week and after speaking with Rich I felt good about going for it :-O

I'll post back once I am done and share my experience with my setup!
I had screen sample from Seymour of both the XD material and the EN4K material and some from Elunevision 4K audioweave material, I bought my Falcon screen sight unseen and have been extremely happy with the picture and build quality of it. Rich has been awesome to deal with and its always nice to support a fellow AVS member with his start up venture into the screen market.

Next month I'm hosting a small speaker GTG with close to 20 forum members coming out, I can't wait to show off my Falcon screen! :grin:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey Rich I see what you did there!!!! You, Sneaky Devil, LOL Thanks for taking care of my lady!!!

Your very Welcome!! it was my pleasure she was so excited to get this done for you was very happy help.

enjoy
Rich

Reactions: onyxbfly

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had screen sample from Seymour of both the XD material and the EN4K material and some from Elunevision 4K audioweave material, I bought my Falcon screen sight unseen and have been extremely happy with the picture and build quality of it. Rich has been awesome to deal with and its always nice to support a fellow AVS member with his start up venture into the screen market.

Next month I'm hosting a small speaker GTG with close to 20 forum members coming out, I can't wait to show off my Falcon screen! :grin:

Hey i was not invited LOL!!!! Can't waite to hear about the event send me some pics :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:Originally Posted by johnmi 

Hi Rich, I received the sample you sent me and it looks great. Just sent you a PM. 

John

Thanks John got it
Hey Rich, I got my screen material all is great. Although at first sight I was nervous since the box had gotten crushed enroute! However once I checked it out, all is okay. No creases, just a little "smooshed". I have it laying out now to flatten it out. Very happy with the way it looks. Thanks again for getting it right out, now to build a frame. :eek:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey Rich, I got my screen material all is great. Although at first sight I was nervous since the box had gotten crushed enroute! However once I checked it out, all is okay. No creases, just a little "smooshed". I have it laying out now to flatten it out. Very happy with the way it looks. Thanks again for getting it right out, now to build a frame. :eek:

Gotta love Fedex sometimes... if you have issue just send me email and we will take of it.
Now the Fun begins building a Frame. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
speaker colour behind the screen?

So my Falcon screen will be here tomorrow, can't wait :) but I do have one concern, this is my first AT screen and I'm having to use my excising Polk speakers behind it, my old screen was smaller and the speakers were in front of the non AT screen. Anyway when I pulled them out I found they have a silver finish on the front of the speakers and the speaker themselves have a silver cone - now I am concerned a very light scene in a movie will reflect off the speaker and make it visible through the screen? Anyone with this Falcon screen have any issues like that? I read in other posts the back wall behind the screen should be black, so should I have the speaker grill material over them. I just wanted some advice so didn't have to hang it then remove it to add speaker grills nor wanted to add those grills (which I guess will further impact the sound) if they aren't needed :-(

Thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
so i took a sample screen we have to show folks what the screen looks like and how it goes together, i took a few silver z brackets and rested them against the back side of the screen and then turned the lights off in the room and took a bright mag light and shined it on the front side of the screen and i was unable to see the brackets through the screen. I then moved them back a few inches from the screen and same result. The z brackets are much more reflective the a silver speaker painted speaker i would think.

hope this helps
Rich

·
Registered
291 Posts
@hifiaudio2 and Rich

Thanks for the info and advice, sounds like I should try without anything over the speakers first as there is a good chance I will not have an issue. From what I have seen the screen hangs on those Z brackets so it just lifts on and off correct?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
918 Posts
@hifiaudio2 and Rich

Thanks for the info and advice, sounds like I should try without anything over the speakers first as there is a good chance I will not have an issue. From what I have seen the screen hangs on those Z brackets so it just lifts on and off correct?

Thanks again!
That is correct hangs just like a great big picture. very easy to hang and remove if need be.

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is correct hangs just like a great big picture. very easy to hang and remove if need be.

Thanks
Rich
ok, last bit of info I think I need, do you know how much extra space is needed to lift the screen over and onto the fixing z bracket thing? My wood frame is recessed and the finished dimensions were going to be 1" gap between the top edge of the screen frame and the top of the wood frame its being fixed to, so now I am thinking will 1" be enough to raise it up to hook onto the bracket. I did a quick picture to help explain :)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
ok, last bit of info I think I need, do you know how much extra space is needed to lift the screen over and onto the fixing z bracket thing? My wood frame is recessed and the finished dimensions were going to be 1" gap between the top edge of the screen frame and the top of the wood frame its being fixed to, so now I am thinking will 1" be enough to raise it up to hook onto the bracket. I did a quick picture to help explain :)

Thanks!

1" will work perfectly, the lip that slides into the z bracket is a tad over 1/4" so if you leave 1/2 to 1" of room your set.

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks, I'll carry on with the 1" gap then...

Also, the screen arrived about half an hour ago, when I looked at the box it looked visually bent in the middle, good old FedEx! It came off the truck on its side as in the picture, after unboxing it I couldn't see any major damage which is good but after un-bolting the frame from the shipping blocks and placing them on the flat floor, the main top and bottom parts are slightly bent like a banana shape rocking in the middle :-( I don't want to take the plastic off yet as I am still building and don't want any dust on them so will have to see in a few days.....seems like those shipping companies really don't care at all.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 649 Posts