AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one would love to see this on HD-DVD since the dvds where a disaster.

I love this series and would like for them to put it in HD. What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
While it would be great to see this on HD, I don't know who currently has rights. Also in the future can you please put a ? at the end of the title so we know your asking about it instead of thinking it was a new announcement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/11344016


While it would be great to see this on HD, I don't know who currently has rights. Also in the future can you please put a ? at the end of the title so we know your asking about it instead of thinking it was a new announcement.

+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/11344016


While it would be great to see this on HD, I don't know who currently has rights. Also in the future can you please put a ? at the end of the title so we know your asking about it instead of thinking it was a new announcement.

Sure, next time I will do that. The studio that owns the rights is universal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I saw an episode on UniversalHD awhile back. It looked a little rough, but certainly better than the DVDs. I'd buy it in HD for sure if they include the original music. I'd probably still buy it if they don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,314 Posts
I actually thought this was one of the worst films I've ever seen. The footage is so generally massacred and processed I doubt there is much more than SD resolution left on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
No, it's a very very above average example of it's genre. But the genre (sci-fi sub-genre of Oriental postmodern flix) is an acquired taste, so it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But like Mr. D said, this is an extremely stylized movie visually, so there would be some scenes that would look amazing, and some that wouldn't benefit as much, at least to the people who equate HD with glossiness. But over all the effects are top notch, and some of the shots are incredibly cool, so I personally think this would make a great HD release. And with Dreamworks apparently picking it up for theatrical release, hopefully we really will get this flick soon. Casshern is actually one of my tops wants for HD release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek /forum/post/11452010


No, it's a very very above average example of it's genre. But the genre (sci-fi sub-genre of Oriental postmodern flix) is an acquired taste, so it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But like Mr. D said, this is an extremely stylized movie visually, so there would be some scenes that would look amazing, and some that wouldn't benefit as much, at least to the people who equate HD with glossiness. But over all the effects are top notch, and some of the shots are incredibly cool, .

To each their own but the effects work is categorically shoddy stylised or not. Good way to save on handling colour and tone appropriately by crunching the bejesus out of it. Some of it even looks like badly deinterlaced miniDV footage. Got some interesting art direction going on but even if I'd liked it I would never describe it as anything other than slipshod.


Try Avalon instead , although I'd personally rather go to the dentist than sit through that again but it is arguably better executed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
It would be great to have this in HD and with a True HD audio track. This really is a polarizing film when it comes to tastes, but I absolutely love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
I've also heard it was crap, but the trailer looks cool. This thing's been in my queue at GreenCine for like forever now (DVD, that is).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D /forum/post/11452158


To each their own but the effects work is categorically shoddy stylised or not. Good way to save on handling colour and tone appropriately by crunching the bejesus out of it. Some of it even looks like badly deinterlaced miniDV footage. Got some interesting art direction going on but even if I'd liked it I would never describe it as anything other than slipshod.


Try Avalon instead , although I'd personally rather go to the dentist than sit through that again but it is arguably better executed.

Like you said, to each their own...maybe it helps knowing that it's based on a classic animated series from the seventies, so while it didn't meet up to whatever expectations you might have brought in with you, in actuality it very competently realized the particular visual style it was going for. It's basically a live action version of a particular sub-style of Japanese animation, and being aware of that, I found the visual style to be enthralling. Also, it was one of the first films to be shot on a digital backlot, and as such, when compared to the other such films of that time (Sky Captain in particular), I found it to be a quite inspired effort. But I do have friends to whom I wouldn't recommend this film to, so I know where you're coming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Isn't that the truth Capek, haha. I really enjoyed it somehow, but only one other friend felt the same. As much as our tastes vary, our little group of film geeks has never been this polarized on material like this.


Not a film I'd be releasing at this time. Target audience is small and the look so processed to death that the inevitable quality debate will cause more harm than good for people just wanting a cool-looking flick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
I loved the movie. Not much faithful to the original anime, but a work of art of its own. I hope Dreamworks will make the HD DVD!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,030 Posts
This works well in the other forum. All discussion about what movies/shows you would like to see on HD-DVD or when will they come out on HD-DVD (not already announced) should go here. Thanks.


larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Let me kick this off by hoping "Once upon a time in the west" is released by paramount soon. It will look phenomenal on HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Indy Indy Indy!
 
1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Top