1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this thread as a catch all for receivers that are 1.4/3D compliant

Pioneer Adds First AVRs With 3D-Ready HDMI, ProLogic IIz, Bluetooth

Quote:
Long Beach, Calif. - Pioneer will make 3D-ready HDMI 1.4 inputs/outputs, Dolby ProLogic IIz post processing, proprietary Pioneer Front Wide post processing, and a stereo Bluetooth option available in its A/V receivers (AVRs) for the first time.

The capabilities will appear in all models in the company's mainstream series at prices starting at $229 street price. The features don't yet appear in the company's Elite series of AVRs.

The features will appear in two 5.1-channel AVRs shipping in March to April and in new 7.1-channel AVRs, whose details will be announced later this week. The 5.1 AVRs are the $229 5x110-watt VSX-520-K and $299 5x110-watt VSX-820-K.
http://www.twice.com/article/449417-..._Bluetooth.php

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sony's First 3D-Capable Receiver, the STR-DN1010, Costs $500

Quote:
Featuring HDMI™ 1.4 3D pass-through technology, ample high definition connectivity and compatibility with all of the latest Blu-ray Disc™ audio formats, the new STR-DN1010 A/V receiver is designed to create a simple solution for controlling any high definition or 3D capable home theater.

The 7.1 channel STR-DN1010 A/V receiver (110 watts power per channel @8-Ohms, 1kHz, 1% THD) features full high definition 1080/24p support and seven HD inputs in total (four HDMI and three component) allowing for connection to a wide variety of HD devices. The receiver's HDMI 3D pass-through technology supports 3D video from connected devices and passes them through to a 3D compatible high definition television, while decoding high-resolution audio codecs.

The receiver also features an icon-driven menu system for simple device and content navigation and has the ability to upscale analog video sources to 1080p resolution via HDMI. The model also boasts a sleek piano black gloss design that matches Sony's line of Blu-ray Disc players and televisions.
http://gizmodo.com/5474837/sonys-fir...1010-costs-500

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18229522

I don't see anything about HD Audio like True HD and DTS MA

All the new models have "decoding of all Blu-ray surround formats".

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/18230714

All the new models have "decoding of all Blu-ray surround formats".

OK - got it.

Quote:
True-to-Life, High-Definition Audio and New Dolby Pro Logic IIz

Of course all the latest Pioneer receivers support high-definition audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio to give your Blu-ray Disc® movies a soundtrack that's true-to-life. But Pioneer adds an extra dimension with support for Dolby Pro Logic IIz across its entire 2010 line of receivers, which adds a "height" channel for an even more immersive experience
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...VSX-820-K.Kuro

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18230934

OK - got it.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...VSX-820-K.Kuro

Strange specs. I don't understand how you can do ProLogic IIz on a 5.1 channel receiver that doesn't have outputs for the height channels?? I looked at the image of the back and there are no outputs for height channels that I can see.

EDIT: nevermind, there are preouts for extra channels, they are just hard to see.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RD-7505 – Sherwood’s First Receiver with HDMI 1.4 Capability

Quote:
The RD 7505 is a 7.1 channel receiver that’s is able to decode highest resolution audio format like Doby TruHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, in addition to the audio formats it can already process internally such as DTS 96/24, Dolby Pro Logic II, and Dolby Digital. This Sherwood receiver uses discrete amplifiers which deliver at 110watts RMS for all seven channels. By employing such amplifiers, high-quality audio is produced via 192 kHz/24 bit D to A converters and TI 32-bit DSP audio processing chips. Aside from the three HDMI inputs and one output, RD 7505 also receives two composite inputs and two component inputs. There’s one output for each video format while for audio inputs there are two digital coaxial and two digital optical.
Quote:
However, you have to wait till summer to get a hold of this product.
http://www.geekiegadgets.com/2010/rd...-4-capability/

·
Registered
172 Posts
There was a thread... "It's coming... from Pioneer" ... I'm guessing that was going to show case all the new receivers from Pioneer, those of which would have HDMI 1.4 I bet.... what happened to that thread?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa /forum/post/18233411

There was a thread... "It's coming... from Pioneer" ... I'm guessing that was going to show case all the new receivers from Pioneer, those of which would have HDMI 1.4 I bet.... what happened to that thread?

Guess it didn't make the transition over to 3D Central.

If you look at the topic of each of the 3 forums, there really isn't a place for 1.4 receivers. So I started this thread as a "master" thread for all announcements and discussions of 1.4 receivers.

·
Super Moderator
21,633 Posts
if you see threads that need to be moved, please PM me with a link

·
Registered
792 Posts
Should the relatively inexpensive nature of the Pioneer VSX-520-K throw me off a little? That seems like a hell of a good deal. I wanted a new receiver anyway...

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin /forum/post/18246907

Should the relatively inexpensive nature of the Pioneer VSX-520-K throw me off a little?

No. It looks to me like a good deal, and Pioneer makes good stuff cheap. I have two low end Pioneer receivers now, which I'm happy with. OTOH, this new receiver isn't actually available until April, so you might as well wait and watch until then. I think I'll get a VSX-1020, but not until this summer, after I've seen some reviews and when I can get some modest retail discount from the MSRP.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah, if the reviews are decent to good for it, I'll definitely scoop up the 520K, for THAT price? Hell...why not? I don't need any iPhone support for it at all, my roommates might, but my roommates ain't buying this thing, I am.

I'm just glad it's not too pricey. Yeah, I wanted a new receiver anyway, but I don't NEED one. When I get a Sony 3DTV this summer, though, I'll definitely need a new one for simplicity's sake. And new cables, too. Ugh. Here we go again. At least I'm happy with my speakers and subwoofer.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance :)

I was looking for HDMI 1.4 compliant receivers so I found this thread, but I saw the thread right above saying that there is now an HDMI 1.4a standard (cant post the link as I am new here, but it is in the same forum)

I was looking at getting the Panny VT25 and a matching receiver (maybe the Onkyo offerings). Do I need to wait until the receivers are 1.4a compliant?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Are we sure HDMI 1.4 is really necissary for 3D? Sony doesn't seem to think so, as their players are 1.3 spec, and they claim to output 3D 1080p 24hz.

I ask because I seriously wanna upgrade my receiver to the Denon 4310, and do not wanna wait for Denon to get off their arse and put one out in 6 months to a year. Considering my gorgeous JVC RS2 projector is on it's 1st bulb, I have the new Oppo BD player, and Avatar didn't blow my skirt up FX wise, I have no plans to upgrade everything to 3D capable until the projector breaks.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura /forum/post/18252473

Please excuse my ignorance :)

I was looking for HDMI 1.4 compliant receivers so I found this thread, but I saw the thread right above saying that there is now an HDMI 1.4a standard (cant post the link as I am new here, but it is in the same forum)

I was looking at getting the Panny VT25 and a matching receiver (maybe the Onkyo offerings). Do I need to wait until the receivers are 1.4a compliant?

Thanks!

Old expression . . . "To foretell the future - look back to the past"

Q. What is the difference between HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.3a, or 1.3b?

Quote:
For consumers, there is no difference between HDMI version 1.3 and 1.3a or 1.3b. These minor revisions to the specification typically relate to manufacturing or testing issues and do not impact features or functionality. In addition, HDMI Licensing, LLC is actively working with manufacturers to reduce confusion for consumers by de-emphasizing version numbers and focusing instead on product features and functionality.

For Adopters, the latest HDMI Specification is v1.3a and the latest HDMI Compliance Test Specification (CTS) is 1.3c.
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#112

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 /forum/post/18252957

Are we sure HDMI 1.4 is really necissary for 3D? Sony doesn't seem to think so, as their players are 1.3 spec, and they claim to output 3D 1080p 24hz.

I ask because I seriously wanna upgrade my receiver to the Denon 4310, and do not wanna wait for Denon to get off their arse and put one out in 6 months to a year. Considering my gorgeous JVC RS2 projector is on it's 1st bulb, I have the new Oppo BD player, and Avatar didn't blow my skirt up FX wise, I have no plans to upgrade everything to 3D capable until the projector breaks.

The bottom line?

3D is not part of the specifications for HDMI 1.3. It is part of the specifications of HDMI 1.4.

Whatever Sony is doing or anyone else is doing - those are the facts

1 - 20 of 270 Posts