AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 11006 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got my set in this morning too.. All I can say is "Wow"..

I love the front panel inputs, looks like they have a white LED in there to light it up when the front flips down..

I also have the Hp stand as well, and the set looks really well on it. More info later, as I had to get to work..

One question, whats the best format to feed into this unit for DVD's.. Should I go the 480i route and have the TV upsample it, or get a upsampling player to feed something else like 1080i into the TV?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw /forum/post/0

How's channel to channel speed w/the 8300...I'm getting one installed this week to go w/the new set....

Channel switching is very fast unless the set detects a need to change modes. If it needs to switch resolutions (i.e. 1080i to 720p, etc), it take a few seconds. You can tell the DVR which settings to use for HDMI or fix the resolution at whatever you want. I'm currently using the auto-hdmi setting but I may switch to fixed 1080i. I'm not sure if that is clear... here is an example.

On auto, if you are watching NBC, the set/DVR chooses 1080i. If you switch to ABC, the set/DVR chooses 720P. This causes a few seconds to switch. If you fix the display at 1080i HDMI on the DVR, all channel switches are instant.

I'm going to experiment but my guess is that fixing the display at 1080i will be best. The auto setting works great when you have a 4:3 TV. On a 16:9, it probably doesn't make much sense.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Darrell

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson /forum/post/0

Thanks for the updates maybe we have found the perfect TV !!!! I doubt it.

I'm sorry if I seem overly enthusiastic. I think it is only human when you first get a new toy. I'm sure my opinion will soften as I have more time to play with the set. But who knows... so far so good!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the quick review!

It is much appreciated at this stage in the game when so many sets are coming out. The only negative I've heard about the set so far is the slight rainbows reported by "Sound & Vision". Have you experienced any rainbows on the set? Try out some black and white material if you get a chance. Thanks again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Could one of you who have an xbox or video game system play around with that and see if there are any lag or lip sync issues with it? I have been searching around for months for a new tv and I wanted something that could actually receive 1080p so this set looks like it's gonna be the winner, especially if all the great reviews keep comin in.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool JAWA /forum/post/0

Could one of you who have an xbox or video game system play around with that and see if there are any lag or lip sync issues with it? I have been searching around for months for a new tv and I wanted something that could actually receive 1080p so this set looks like it's gonna be the winner, especially if all the great reviews keep comin in.

My kids have a PS2. Will that prove anything? I really don't play games very often but my kids do. If this will help, I'll let them connect the PS2 for a few seconds

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot /forum/post/0

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the quick review!

It is much appreciated at this stage in the game when so many sets are coming out. The only negative I've heard about the set so far is the slight rainbows reported by "Sound & Vision". Have you experienced any rainbows on the set? Try out some black and white material if you get a chance. Thanks again.

My wife and I have not seen any rainbows... neither of us ever saw any on DLPs in the store either. I suspect we are not sensitive to them.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot /forum/post/0

No rainbows here either. Will try some more material tonight..

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Posted on the original HP 1080p thread as well, but gotta shout it out here as well:

IT IS HERE!!!!!!!!! 65" arrived and set up today.

Came home at noon to see if the delivery service had left a message and YES! Delivery company was just 15 minutes away, talked 'em into bringing it out right away (they were VERY nice) and they just dropped it off and helped me set it up. The delivery guys were awed by the TV...lots of "Wow" and "Cool" comments throughout.

Picture is awesome...haven't done much except watch few minutes of LOTR Two Towers and a short scene from "Finding Nemo" but I think I'm in love...

Looks perfect on the stand I made...pic coming in a moment or two...cable insertion and connection was a breeze.

No rainbows so far...incrediby wide usable field of view compared to my 60" Panny LCD...both vertical and horizontal range is huge, and the drop off almost insignificant.

Beautiful blacks and detail...

The set is a thing of beauty...classiest looking HDTV set I've seen. Looks MUCH better in person than in pictures. Hard to explain, but nothing you see online will do justice to seeing this set in your house. The dark color of the TV provides a great "frame" for the movie and the light-absorbing matte black color means no distraction from the action on the screen....

The source select option is a cool looking feature, but not sure I'll use it too much. But it is really cool.

Oops...I'm gushing.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
So where in the USA outside of hpshopping.com can we get one of these??? Any chance of paying less than retail?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Aren't Best Buys stores supposed to get these in sometime? If not, I wonder if Ultimate Electronics stores will get these In?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
JR has it listed here, but only as future availability:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4054463

J&R shipping is $207, HP shipping is free. Depending on your state you may not pay taxes either via HP (or potentially J&R).

TV Authority is supposed to be getting them soon as well. Not sure who else.

If you're in a no tax state, that combined w/free "white glove" shipping from HP makes it a very good deal.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH /forum/post/0

Yes, but I'm waiting on a video card that can do 1920x1080. I'm currently limited to 1600x1200.

what kind of video card do you have?

don't assume just b/c you the resolution slider doesn't go up to 1920x1080 that your card can't do that resolution. Windows detects the max rez the monitor you have hooked up to the video card can handle and hide other resolutions. My geforce3 which is like 5yo can do 1920x1200. Of course I don't expect to play half life 2 at that rez.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah Dana. The urge to gush is massive

I'm still looking for something I don't like.

The wide stretch mode is most excellent as well. It fills the pillars very, very nicely.

BTW, let's begin speculation as to what "performance improvement" we get from the free 128MB USB drive?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
OK...here's a quick pic. Showing a scene from "The Incredibles."

TV and stand look 10x better in person....pic does not do it justice. My boss just stopped by for a quick look and he was pretty blown away. (Mine's bigger...though he does have a very nice Sharp 42" LCD flat panel.)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/0

what kind of video card do you have?

don't assume just b/c you the resolution slider doesn't go up to 1920x1080 that your card can't do that resolution. Windows detects the max rez the monitor you have hooked up to the video card can handle and hide other resolutions. My geforce3 which is like 5yo can do 1920x1200. Of course I don't expect to play half life 2 at that rez.

Its an embedded workstation card. I think a FireGL or something. I'm probably going to see if I can borrow a 6600 GT to test with though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi.....

Does anyone know if HP will be making a 50 inch version of the 1080P? or something a bit smaller than a 58 incher?

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 11006 Posts