AVS Forum banner

6901 - 6920 of 11006 Posts

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Loving my replacement TV, I wouldn't go the route of servicing it, since many Techs are having problems with this TV.

I'll hold off on a HD-DVD or BRay purchase until LG or another company puts out a universal player than can play both in 1080p!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally Posted by pierre2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre2048 /forum/post/0

Power On from remote doesn't work: Either the HP remote or the Harmony 880 can't turn on the TV from the full off state. I have to press the power button on the side of the TV to turn it on. Lifter, sjchmura, TMSKILZ, and The Mac Oracle have reported this issue as well but no one ever addressed it. I've discovered that this only happens when my HTPC has been on for a while. Also, if I turn off my HTPC the remotes can turn on the TV from the full off state. I've tried various power management settings in windows with no resolution. I just thought that there may be some BIOS settings that need some tweaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonus /forum/post/0

Maybe you found some information (having PC on extended time while connected to HDMI2 =>TV in full off state won't turn on correctly, turning PC off allows TV to then turn on correctly) that could lead to HP figuring out a fix, let HP know your exact findings.

I just noticed the same problem yesterday. I couldn't power on the TV using either the original remote or the Harmony (I didn't try the button on the unit itself, I keep forgetting it's there). I also have a PC connected to HDMI2 which I usually leave running 24/7. Remembering this thread I unplugged the PC from the TV and it turned on fine. I'll monkey around with it and see what I can find out.

~Ky

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damifino /forum/post/0

Pull out the lamp module (pretty easy to get to from the front panel, you'll need a phillips driver....look in the manual if you need directions) and inspect for scratches.

Mine had a dark area going from the top-left corner to the center of the screen. I eventually pulled the lamp and saw two small scratches at about same angle as the shadow on the screen.

I reported the problem within the first 24 hours so they're going to ship out another bulb if they can resolve some other DOA issues.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll check the lamp. Better the lamp than optics and/or DLP chip. Unfortunately for me, I'm past the 90 day lamp warranty...

Durny1

·
Registered
31 Posts

kyris said:
I received my set last Monday and I finally had some time this weekend to set it up with the other components and give it a first pass evaluation. My notes:

Front Panel: It bows out in the middle so it doesn't fit flush when closed. Not a major problem in itself but I think it's preventing the nub that switches off the connection panel light from making proper contact with the switch, meaning the light is never extinguished. The switch itself can be accessed from behind the rightmost of the light engine adjustment panels, so I may see if I can reseat the it to accommodate the warped door.

pfilippone posted a fix using a binder clip that has worked very well for myself and at least a few others. See Post #5601 .

·
Registered
3,061 Posts

Darkonus said:
Actually, I believe he is still enjoying his great HP DLP, but along side with his newly acquired RBH speaker system, but even if he did return it, I would wish him well with what-ever he believed was a good replacement, at least he showed some class while posting in this forum. If you're so curious, then go ahead and PM Danabw (the proper name for whom you refer as Danbw), I'm sure he would (sic) just love to hear from you and that great knowledge and information fountain you believe you posses!

Besides, why should any of us care, as myself and many other satisfied HP DLP TV owners all over the U.S. and Canada are enjoying our sets regardless; if you can't except that fact, then go away ./QUOTE]

I see that you are just as good as Danbw at spinning the truth with marketing BS. The HP is a great display, but has so many frustrating issues that it drives many to Prozac.

As an exercise, read through this thread and list the defects/issues which users have complained about. I had a list of about 15 long when I returned mine several months ago. How many have still NOT been fixed?

For example, does the display still not accept any PC generated digital DVI signal through its HDMI ports? Is the picture still blank or garbled?

And lastly Best Buy now sells the HP displays except for (drum roll) the HP rear projectors. Do ya think I'm sexy or just too stupid to figure out why?

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate /forum/post/0

For example, does the display still not accept any PC generated digital DVI signal through its HDMI ports? Is the picture still blank or garbled?

That has been fixed. Works fine. Up to 1080p 60hz I believe.

-Casey

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:

I see . Do ya think I'm sexy or just too stupid to figure out why?

The bold highlight should say it all!
Quote:

The HP is a great display, but has so many frustrating issues that it drives many to Prozac. As an exercise, read through this thread and list the defects/issues which users have complained about. I had a list of about 15 long when I returned mine several months ago. How many have still NOT been fixed?

The couple of problems with the noisy light engine and speaker buzz that my set did have were easily fixed; so my md6580 has NO issues that drive me crazy or could even be considered any bit frustrating. In fact, you couldn't tell me of a better 65" HDTV set to replace it right now for under $4000, that's how much I like it and how well it performs with my usage! You always seem to leave out the part that there are many satisfied owners right now! And the list is growing since the majority of the early complaints have been or are being addressed. I actually feel sorry for the people that sent their sets back earlier just because of the tilt, speaker, or a noisy light engine problem, or any of the early problems that were fixed by the firmware update(s), because they will never get to see just how good these sets are right now.

Please, do tell us all the entire list of those 15 problems that were so damaging to the initial high expectations you held for the HP, that it not only warranted your returning of the set, but has also prompted you to continually fight the good fight here on this thread, by warning potential buyers of just how bad a TV HP makes and prompting others to return their sets like you have, and then let us really see where we're at ... goody, can't wait. You infest enough of the HDTV threads on AVSForum, that I know even you aren't blind enough that you wouldn't realize that every 1080p HDTV set that came out in 2005 had many problems, and there are plenty of testaments on those other manufacturer's threads involving returns, service issues, bulbs burning out, HDMI failure, lip-sync, won't accept 1080p input over HDMI, color uniformity ... etc, etc., the list is just as long in many cases, and some of the issues just as critical for potential owners of those sets as those discussed here on this thread.

Quote:

Still not accept? ... Are you on drugs?!?!? Since the very day I hooked up my HTPC, my md6580n accepted 1080p over a DVI => HP HDMI1 input! It has always accepted it, and the picture was never blank, nor was it ever garbled. I've had my set since Dec 7th, 2005, and it worked perfectly back then and prior to updating my firmware too! The only thing garbled here is your lack of knowledge about the truth of the matter. Some people might have had problems with their own setups, but that didn't mean the problems were all caused by the HP, some issues were certainly caused by either user error, other components, or just that a firmware update was needed for the HP to correct the issue.

These sets have gone through some growing pains, as all the manufacturer's initially released 1080p sets have gone through, but so many of the issues and complaints that people could have brought up months ago, are now gone or easily fixed! Please come back to the present ... these are great HDTV sets, and certainly make awesome HTPC displays, I know this because I own and use it daily this way! Gaming on my HTPC has never been better, the md6580n shines as a computer display ... no sync issues what-so-ever, and there were none with the X-Box 360 either when my nephew brought it over to show me ... and the 1080i from that was pretty awesome as well!

I think you are an impatient disillusioned perfectionist who shouldn't own any product until a perfect one is produced (which never happens, so you may be waiting indefinitely) because anything less just won't be good enough for you. You also have very poor social skills when it comes to posting in a public forum such as AVSForum. You continually present the picture of one who can't tolerate the thought that some other people can purchase the same product which you previously owned but have since continually posted of it being so inferior and trouble ridden as to be not worth owning, and you just hate watching all these others enjoy it as they share positive experiences of their own with the exact same product, even though it falls short of perfection and your recommendation. So rather than just posting your experience and opinions of these HP sets in a respectful manner for those other owners who post in this forum and who are genuinely happy and enjoying many of the fine qualities of it, and maybe offer a viable replacement which is either perfect or at least better then these HP sets with respect to features while maintaining an equal or lesser cost (why? because you can't), you just troll, hoping to disrupt an otherwise constructive thread.

The majority of your whiny posts are spread across the AVSForum in a vast majority of the numerous HDTV threads of different manufacturers. It speaks volumes when a forum member has to have so many posts removed from the forum, not just edited, but removed! It's almost always the same from you, nothing is ever good enough, especially at price levels where most consumers can afford, at least not at this time. If there isn't a perfect 58" or 65" 1080p HDTV for comparable prices with comparable features that you can provide for us here, then refrain from the sarcastic posts directed at current owners as well as the rest of the bashing you continue to do on HP 1080p DLP TVs. You are just angry that you didn't wait yourself, have realized you made the incorrect decision to return the HP set, and now just wish to bother the current owners that are absolutely enjoying all the great features of their own HP 1080p DLP sets ... oh yeah, and working perfectly over 1080p DVI=>HDMI as well with PCs!!!

Oh, and did I mention ... MY HP md6580n HDTV is AWESOME!!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:

Still not accept? ... Are you on drugs?!?!? Since the very day I hooked up my HTPC, my md6580n accepted 1080p over a DVI => HP HDMI1 input! It has always accepted it, and the picture was never blank, nor was it ever garbled. I've had my set since Dec 7th, 2005, and it worked perfectly back then and prior to updating my firmware too!

Yup,

Mine too, since November, nor have I had any of the other problems listed in this thread.

The bold highlight should say it all!

Oh, and did I mention ... MY HP md5880n HDTV is AWESOME!!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi all..

When you say noisy light engine... What type of loudness are we talking? Should you not be able to hear it all?? I can hear mine barely...but I can still hear it....

Does anybody else thing SD programing sucks!!! LOL

Thanks

R~

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx /forum/post/0

Well, for what it's worth, HP (Canada) called me back today to say the parts for the speaker hum repair should be in this Wednesday, April 19th.

They will start to schedule in home repairs as soon as they have the parts in-hand.

I'll still only believe it when they come a knocking on my door, but looks encouraging.

Lexx

I'll pick up where Lexx left off and say that HP disappointed again by that date, indicating some kind of customs issue and set new date for Friday the 21st...again a no show and again a no show on Monday with apparently no credible tracking information available now to be able convincingly indicate where the parts are or when we'll see them (this being the 21st century of course where anybody can track anything...except apparently HP).

I am going to REPLACE instead now that BB has sets available (after BB and HP having already previously indicated that they wouldn't be seeing any more sets !?!?)....I'm NOT fixing this myself and will roll the dice on the return...they have had me on a string nearly daily for FULL 2 months...I am not waiting any longer.

I don't know if I'm more FURIOUS or embarrassed for HP !!

moo

I pray for their sake I receive a good set next time around !

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I just hooked up a HDMI cable to a replacement TIVO box and my 1st impression is that the component may look a little better does this make sense? I do need to experiment more but my initial reaction is that I am not that impressed with the HDMI.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson /forum/post/0

I just hooked up a HDMI cable to a replacement TIVO box and my 1st impression is that the component may look a little better does this make sense? I do need to experiment more but my initial reaction is that I am not that impressed with the HDMI.

Each input has unique basic and advanced adjustments and settings as you may know. When judging an arbitrary device input on a specific interface type with out of the box settings, the results will be a crap shoot. Before one can make a determination as to what input looks the best, some form of basic calibration should take place.

You might want to get one of the many calibrations disks available and do some tweaking before making the final call as to what interface to use. If you want to really get it tuned up, consider hiring an ISF calibrator. The difference in PQ is startling on most sets.

Cheers,

Doug

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Doug,

Thanks for your input and I do plan on getting it calibrated and was the reason I replaced my Tivo as my old HDMI port did not work. Like I said I do need to play with it more to make a final judgement but I just thought it strange that it didn't look as good as component on a couple of different shows I was checking out. Maybe it is also a case of HDMI showing D*'s compression even more than component. I will check my OTA tonight and see what that looks like.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Based upon what I've seen, the digital interfaces look more "stark" than the analog inputs (HDMI/DVI versus component) out-of-the-box. I think the analog looks a little "softer" and takes some of the edge off the picture which, when not properly calibrated on the digital side, makes the analog side look better. In all of the sets I've seen calibrated, the initial impression after the calibration is that it looks "soft". What was happening in reality was that all of the atificial processing, edge enhancement, excessive sharpness, etc. had been removed and the contrast (pun intended) was pronounced between the two states after the adjustments had been made. However, you were seeing the source material as intended, rather than overly-processed.

I've been to people's homes and watched their TVs that they were so proud of and yet it made my head hurt to watch them.

Good luck and enjoy that great TV!

Doug

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Doug,

Thanks again I guess I will make final judgement once calibrated. I do agree with you on other people's tv's as I have 2 friends with HD sets that don't know what they are doing and never had them calibrated. I don't bother trying to educate anymore if they are happy good for them but I know they are missing out on a whole lot.

This TV is awesome and can't wait to get it calibrated to really enjoy it.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 /forum/post/0

Hi all..

When you say noisy light engine... What type of loudness are we talking? Should you not be able to hear it all?? I can hear mine barely...but I can still hear it....

Does anybody else thing SD programing sucks!!! LOL

Thanks

R~

IMO, if you had a defective LE, it would be hard for you not to know it! It's not just barely audible, it's very audible and can be herd from a good distance from the set, and certainly when volume is even at average listening levels. Before my replacement, noise from the defective LE was extremely noticeable to me, afterwards, the only time I found it to be audible was if I concentrated to even hear it, and then that was only possible when the volume was extremely low.

SD will always be horrible when compared to 720p & 1080i HD, or even look bad when put up against 480p, and it was certainly never meant to be viewed on the King Kong sized screens we have today when compared to the days it was first created for mini-sized CRTs, so what should one expect? Well, I do expect it to look as good, or better (to loosely use those terms in reference to SD), when compared to TVs of similar size from other manufacturer's ... and the HP certainly handles SD content very well with those comparisons IMO.

I agree that analog SD looks horrible in many if not most cases, even with the HP, but with Comcast in my area, the digital SD stations are actually very acceptable, much more clear than their analog counterparts, and very watchable. The quality or lack of quality in an SD signal is definitely going to vary from provider to provider as well as from area to area.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I think I found my problem with why my HDMI didn't look so good the receiver for some reason was set on 480i so when I switched to 1080i the PQ was outstanding this TV just keeps getting better I can't wait to get it calibrated.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:

IMO, if you had a defective LE, it would be hard for you not to know it! It's not just barely audible, it's very audible and can be herd from a good distance from the set, and certainly when volume is even at average listening levels. Before my replacement, noise from the defective LE was extremely noticeable to me, afterwards, the only time I found it to be audible was if I concentrated to even hear it, and then that was only possible when the volume was extremely low.

Hello Darkonus:

I'm a little confused. I thought you said before that your light engine replacement did not make much difference in the overall ambient noise of your set, and that the bigger difference in making things quieter was the proper grounding of the audio board.

I'm curious because I'm on my third set (original, a refurb from HP, then a new one from HP), and I'd say they all put out roughly the same amount of noise/hum. The sound is the type of sound you would hear maybe from a live TV music broadcast where there is a technical problem with hum in the system. It's probably 120hz mostly, that being the first harmonic of 60hz AC ground hum. I will be trying some more measurents soon including a farily sensitive FFT analyzer where I can pinpoint the frequency more exactly, and hopefully get an accurate SPL reading. I borrowed a meter that went down to about 45db, but the TV is not quite that loud, so the reading was not accurate.

I do think the hum mostly comes from the light engine since it changes/stops for a second when the TV changes resolutions (1080i to 480i or something like that).

I'm really about at the end of my rope with this problem. I realize that I may be more sensitive to this noise than many/most people, but I can't imagine how a videophile who dedicates a quiet room as their "home theatre" could possibly stand this amount of ambient sound output from the set (and I'm not referring to myself - my set is just in the living room, and I'm neither a serious videophile or audiophile these days). Surely HP didn't make this set only suitable for use in sports bars or airports.

-Casey

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseystone /forum/post/0

Hello Darkonus:

I'm a little confused. I thought you said before that your light engine replacement did not make much difference in the overall ambient noise of your set, and that the bigger difference in making things quieter was the proper grounding of the audio board.

Yes, you are confused ... what I had stated in my "noise levels revisited" post, was that I believed both the LE & speaker buzz contributed to the overall abnormal noise levels that I was hearing, and in a more equal way, rather than my original belief, which was that the LE was actually much more to blame for it. Yet after replacing my LE, which did quiet the overall noise levels, it didn't quiet it down to a point where I believed it was yet in a normal range at 9'. I didn't say that when I fixed the speaker noise, it made a bigger difference to the original overall noise level I had than when the LE was replaced. Both repairs made enough of a difference, that I believe both were needed before my set would be as good as it is right now. I did the LE replacement first, which lowered the noise, then the speaker fix next, which again lowered the noise. To put it into perspective, had I done the speaker buzz fix first, I would still have heard the defective LE noise at 9', as it had pitch variance which was noticeable. But the overall abnormal noise levels would have certainly been lessened with the speaker fix alone, just not enough IMO to get it to normal levels without then doing the LE replacement. Originally, I believed the speaker buzz was only a problem when getting close to the set, and only the LE was responsible at 9', but I was wrong, and it took fixing both to fix my noise problem.

Regardless, you have to remember, even with both of those problems, and whether or not I was originally accurate in my assumption of which one was the biggest culprit causing the majority of the noise problem, the overall noise was never so intrusive that it would have had me thinking on returning the set, as I had it for over 4 months before any repairs, and I was still quite happy enjoying all it's features, but with it being much more quiet now, it's even that much better!

6901 - 6920 of 11006 Posts