AVS Forum banner

9781 - 9800 of 11006 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKid /forum/post/15046959

I believe I have found another fix to the blue line issue. I started seeing this about 3 weeks ago. Since then I have been using a fan to help with heat on the back vent near the bulb casing.

However, last night when I had the small door next to the bulb door open, I discovered what I believe is likely the source for most/all of the blue line errors. There is a small, square, piece of metal that is vertical to your view when looking in this door on the light tunnel casing. I would describe it as about the size of a nicotine patch one would put on their skin. It is held on by 3 screws. One on top and two on the bottom. I noticed that light was peaking out on the left and right sides.

When I depressed this piece of metal to eliminate the opening on the left and right sides, my half-inch to one inch blue line was eliminated. I imagine any rigging that would create enough pressure to close this opening would work for others, but for myself I used a metal spring like material to wedge against the metal patch and the other side of the light tunnel. Similar to one of those security sticks one could use on a front door in an apartment that wedges one side into the floor and the other against the door.

I was so pleased to fix my own issue, that I thought I would share in case my experience helped others. TV is back to perfect (for now)... fingers crossed.

texaskid

did you open this door and may this adjustment with the tv on or off?

swampster

·
Registered
18 Posts
For anyone who has removed the back cover and put one / two fans, can you tell me where you pointed the fan it (maybe post a jpg or something). i have put my fan against the two heatsinks and doesnt do anything. i have put it aimed right at the motherboard behind the lamp and it helps but not completely.

i'm still thinking the my internal TV fan is not working properly (pushing enough air) so its causing my problems.

That being said, if anyone has a tv that is not working but the internal fan was fine, i may be interested in it, just PM me.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens /forum/post/15031449

This is probably not the place for me to go into much detail, but the LaserVue is just superb in every sense. Thoroughly modern; no possibilty for RBE, no lamp life issues, no dimming over time. No geometry issues, no Pincusion or barrel distortion. Completely HDMI 1.3 compliant, including CEC. Very bright with extra wide Gamut, supports Deep Color and X.V.YCC Color. Low Power light weight and 10" Wall mountable Profile.

Thanks for the mini review. Your TV would certainly be among my top choices if my MD5880n died today.

I did stop by the "Mitsubishi's 65-inch Laser TV . . ." thread and read the last five or so pages. For some reason things seem a little contentious in that thread.

-Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampster /forum/post/15053489

texaskid

did you open this door and may this adjustment with the tv on or off?

swampster

Swampster, the "door" I referenced could probably better be described as a panel. It is the one immediately to the right of the bulb. I did open that panel and upon inspecting the light tunnel behind that panel, I noticed the light shining out from the edges of this small, thin, metal piece (the one about the size of a nicotine patch).

For me, the TV had to reach max temp before the metal piece would warp enough to let light escape which would cause the purple line to appear. With the TV on, I depressed the metal piece so that light could no longer escape and immediately observed the line disappearing. From there, I just rigged up a mechanism that would ensure light would not escape anymore, and the TV is running on all cylinders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, several weeks back, my 3+ year old 6580n started with the posterization problem. I removed the back and gave it a good vacuum and blowing out with my compressor. I figured I'd fix the speaker hum issue while I had it torn apart. The good news it working like champ! Thanks to all my fellow HP owners for the great posts, I could not have done it without you!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Couple of 1080p/24 & 1080p/60 questions...

I got a new BluRay player today for my other TV (Sony KDL46Z LCD) but wanted to see how it would look on the HP as well.

I know the player (Sony BDP-S350) supports 1080p/60, I've seen that documented on spec pages, but can't find a setting anywhere in the menu to set it to 1080p/60.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If there isn't an explicit 1080p/60 setting I can choose, then this won't work w/the HP TV (i.e., tearing at 1080p/24), correct?

Thanks!

P.S. I never use the MD6580n's speakers - I always play sound via my HT setup. However, today when I was playing around w/the new DVD player I had it set up via HDMI to the HP set and didn't want to run any audio cables to my stereo, so I used the TV speakers to watch a little of a DVD...dang, those built in speakers are amazing! I haven't listened to them pretty much since I got the set, and had completely forgotten how great they are.

Too bad HP didn't stay in this game longer and work out the heating issues, etc...this really is an amazing set (when it works).

·
Registered
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampster /forum/post/15053536

For anyone who has removed the back cover and put one / two fans, can you tell me where you pointed the fan it (maybe post a jpg or something).

Swampster

My TV stand is on wheels, so I pulled it forward to take these pictures for you.

I placed two small six inch fans behind the TV with the lower back section of the TV removed. The fans may work just as well with the cover on, and if I had small children around all the time, I probably would leave the back on to avoid any electrical shock possibilities.

The first photo shows the fans as they normally sit behind the TV. One fan blows directly at the "shroud opening" on the right side of the TV (viewing position), and the second is mid way across the TV.

I actually have a third fan, but it blows air over my amp (you can see it on the right side of the photo). The amp get pretty warm since the TV stand is enclosed by doors at the front. I have all the fans plugged into a single extension cord that I made with a dimmer switch spliced into the extension cord so I can vary the speed of all the fans.

The second photo is shot from the same position with one fan removed so you can see the shroud opening.

I don't have to run the fans at a very high speed to resolve the posterization problem, and they are very quiet (inaudible) at these low speeds. If anyone cares, here is a link to the fan info . The reviews of how quiet they were sold me on them. They also come with an optional mounting clip. In my case the two fans for the TV sit nicely on the TV stand itself, just about touching the wall when the TV is pushed back into place. The store is a Canadian hardware chain, but I'm sure the same fans can be found in the States if you're interested.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx /forum/post/15083587

Swampster

My TV stand is on wheels, so I pulled it forward to take these pictures for you.

I placed two small six inch fans behind the TV with the lower back section of the TV removed. The fans may work just as well with the cover on, and if I had small children around all the time, I probably would leave the back on to avoid any electrical shock possibilities.

The first photo shows the fans as they normally sit behind the TV. One fan blows directly at the "shroud opening" on the right side of the TV (viewing position), and the second is mid way across the TV.

I actually have a third fan, but it blows air over my amp (you can see it on the right side of the photo). The amp get pretty warm since the TV stand is enclosed by doors at the front. I have all the fans plugged into a single extension cord that I made with a dimmer switch spliced into the extension cord so I can vary the speed of all the fans.

The second photo is shot from the same position with one fan removed so you can see the shroud opening.

I don't have to run the fans at a very high speed to resolve the posterization problem, and they are very quiet (inaudible) at these low speeds. If anyone cares, here is a link to the fan info . The reviews of how quiet they were sold me on them. They also come with an optional mounting clip. In my case the two fans for the TV sit nicely on the TV stand itself, just about touching the wall when the TV is pushed back into place. The store is a Canadian hardware chain, but I'm sure the same fans can be found in the States if you're interested.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Helps. thanks.

I understand what the first fan is pointed at, but what about the other?

What is your second fan it pointed at? The two heatsinks in the middle or something else. and did you peel back that cardboard.

my fan right now is on the other side of the tv blowing straight through the other computer board at the bulb area. again i'm thinking my tv fan is worn out and this is acting as a temporary replacement.

swampster.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampster /forum/post/15085738

Helps. thanks.

I understand what the first fan is pointed at, but what about the other?

What is your second fan it pointed at? The two heatsinks in the middle or something else. and did you peel back that cardboard.

The second fan is situated half way across the back of the TV. This is the location of two heatsinks, and where the cardboard shroud ends. My guess is that air was intended to be funneled to this spot to cool these two heatsinks. All I'm doing is increasing air movement in this area.

I did not remove the cardboard shroud, but only because I have 2 years left on my extended warranty.

The design of the shroud certainly implies the intent of the designers was to have air move from right to left (as seen from a viewing position). I wonder if putting a fan on the left side of the TV and blowing air from left to right might not defeat this, and cause more problems by blowing hot air back into the TV. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Posting these questions for member VelvetRolo, who is having a problem posting to the thread for some reason...he sent these to me via PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetRolo /forum/post/0

Two questions:

1. Is there a way of having the 6580 display the frequency it's refreshing at (24/30/60)? Pressing info just says 1080P.

2. I'm also lately getting my first issue with the set... WHenever the screen is dark (either a dark scene, or when turning it off so that it goes completely black), there's a whining noise coming from somewhere. Any ideas what's causing that?

Thanks for your help w/his questions!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
VelvelRolo also answered my questions on the Sony BDP-S350 BluRay player (how to set it to 1080p/60. Posting it here in case others get that or similar player and need this info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetRolo /forum/post/0

Anyway, I just picked up a Sony BDP-S350 yesterday, and couldn't find any way to get it out of interlaced mode. (Pressing info on the 6580 would always show 1080i). Finally I tried Options/Easy Set Up and in there changed it from "Auto" to 1080P. Pressing info on the 6580 then shows that is indeed 1080P. Then in options there's also a setting to have 24P On/Off. So, obviously changing that to off should give 1080P/60.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetRolo /forum/post/15087895

Is there a way of having the 6580 display the frequency it's refreshing at (24/30/60)? Pressing info just says 1080P.

I may incorrect, but I don't think the TV can display anything but 1080p at 60fps. That's the nature of the DLP chip. Everything is converted to 1080p/60.

The TV can be fed pretty much anything, but it will convert everything, except a 1080p/60fps signal (via HDMI) of course which does not have to be converted.

The TV accepts a 24fps signal but is actually displaying at 60fps. So when you feed the TV a 24fps signal it is actually doing what is called a 3:2 pulldown (badly) to get to its native frame rate.

My bluray player (Samsung BD-2550) can be forced to send a 24fps signal, however the images have ocassional "jaggies" and very minor blurring during fast scenes. I know film is shot at 24fps and many people like to view their bluray disks at the frame rate of the original filming, but the TV has slight problems doing this. I leave my bluray player feeding the TV a 1080p/60 signal via HDMI and I am more than happy with the result. Quite stunning actually.

We shouldn't feel badly, most tvs from that long ago era of 2005-06 do a poor job of this. In fact over 80% from '05/'06 failed this test.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys, I've owned an MD5880N since Dec 05 and my first bulb just popped today (11/17/08). And of course, my bulb warranty ended on Friday, 11/14. My warranty is with RepairMaster/WarranTech. I called them to see if there is a grace period and try to persuade them to cover it. That didn't work so now I'm in the market for a bulb. Anybody looking to sell one? I live in Austin, TX. Please send me a private msg through AVS Forum or at msban949 at gmail.com.

Does HP still sell bulbs? If so, at what price? I saw it listed on their site, but there is no price and it says to call. I haven't had a chance to call yet, but will soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx /forum/post/15088566

I may incorrect, but I don't think the TV can display anything but 1080p at 60fps. That's the nature of the DLP chip. Everything is converted to 1080p/60.

The TV can be fed pretty much anything, but it will convert everything, except a 1080p/60fps signal (via HDMI) of course which does not have to be converted.

The TV accepts a 24fps signal but is actually displaying at 60fps. So when you feed the TV a 24fps signal it is actually doing what is called a 3:2 pulldown (badly) to get to its native frame rate.

My bluray player (Samsung BD-2550) can be forced to send a 24fps signal, however the images have ocassional "jaggies" and very minor blurring during fast scenes. I know film is shot at 24fps and many people like to view their bluray disks at the frame rate of the original filming, but the TV has slight problems doing this. I leave my bluray player feeding the TV a 1080p/60 signal via HDMI and I am more than happy with the result. Quite stunning actually.

We shouldn't feel badly, most tvs from that long ago era of 2005-06 do a poor job of this. In fact over 80% from '05/'06 failed this test.

Thanks for the info, Lexx, I appreciate it.

I'm going to get a BluRay disc in the mail this week (Netflix) and give it a try on 24p and 60p...should be fun. I find it hard to imagine a better picture than I get w/some of my regular DVDs, so this should be interesting...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,795
My Directv HR20 now outputs 1080p24. Doesn't work on HP unfortunately

Let us know if the BluRay works at 1080p24 please

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just an FYI guys, I have a PS3 with the latest firmware and 1080p24 does not work well. It looks like the frame rate is really slow and you can see it refresh every second or so. 1080p60 is the only viewable option when watching Blu-rays with the PS3 on the MD5880N in 1080p.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have tried a number of sources sending 24P They include the PC, XA2, PS3, and all of the above through a DVDO Edge. Actually one of the beta versions of the Edge software seemed to send a 24P that the 6580 did not object to very much. Still, it was not perfect. I don't think there really is anything to gain sending 24P as the HP is just going to use it to make 60P anyway. In my experience the less processing the HP does the better. It is an early 1080P device and did not get the kind of extended firmware development needed to get most of the glitches out.

Mine got worked on alot by HP in its early days and was even swapped out and then the light engine got swapped out of the exchange unit. Still it has worked well the last couple of years and is going to become a spare room set whenever I get my 72" Mits/Sammy controversy resolved. 65" never was quite big enough for my room and viewing distance. My HP is still under HP warranty until spring and I have a spare bulb. Probably a good thing it has gone to very part time duty. Maybe it will survive a couple more years.

To me, I need to get about 30 months out of a main set to make the economics work out. I paid $2600 for 6580 plus warranty and spare bulb. The replacement is larger and cost less. If I can keep my monthly cost for my main TV to $80 a month I feel good. So now it will be a Sammy 72" and if prices come down in a couple years I will look for an 80" around the same price point. 80" would be great for my viewing distance.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/15100226

I don't think there really is anything to gain sending 24P as the HP is just going to use it to make 60P anyway.

True... unless the only 1080p the device can send is 1080p24. It may be that 1080i would be better than 1080p24 with this set but I wanted to see for myself

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
BluRay ("3:10 To Yuma") arrives tomorrow. Supposed to be a good flick, looking forward to testing 1080p/24 and 1080p/60, and to the movie itself, of course.

9781 - 9800 of 11006 Posts