AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally found these boards when looking for my first projector. Like most newcomers I was incredibly apprehensive at such a big purchase and all of the variables made my head spin. When it was all said and done however, even a month later, it has literally changed my life for the better. This was a "Bachelor Present" of sorts for me as I detail here:

http://4tvs.com/Journey/yearnine/ent...79-071508.html

...and I am still in awe every time I fire it up. I can't stop saying "I had no idea they could look this good" and after reading a previous apprehensive thread about "making the leap" I figured it was time to make this thread. A thread of positives. A thread not talking about convergence issues and black levels. A thread where the brand you have makes no difference, you're just really really happy you pulled the trigger on the purchase and you want to share the impact it made.

Hopefully it helps others see that no matter which one they get - just do it already. You can't imagine how awesome it is.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Cool thread topic...

I just upgraded from a 4805 to a Sharp XV-Z12000mkII a few weeks ago and find myself rushing to get home after work to fire it up!! It just looks so damn good! I have a couple of blu-ray demo discs that just show beautiful imagery and my wife thinks that I am a complete geek for wanting to put them on an just sit there with mouth agape

I may have had a similar reaction 4 years ago when I first got the 4805, but this is on another level. I am going to upgrade my screen from a 96" dia. DIY screen to a 106" hi-power in September. I'll probably get a similar thrill at that time as well

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just upgraded my BoC screen to a Draper Luma 108" and am pretty floored

Now I am going to use my BoC screen to paint on. Something to go on the free wall of my livingroom/theater. I expect it will be awesome

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder /forum/post/14337996

Cool thread topic...

I just upgraded from a 4805 to a Sharp XV-Z12000mkII a few weeks ago and find myself rushing to get home after work to fire it up!! It just looks so damn good! I have a couple of blu-ray demo discs that just show beautiful imagery and my wife thinks that I am a complete geek for wanting to put them on an just sit there with mouth agape

I may have had a similar reaction 4 years ago when I fist got the 4805, but this is on another level. I am going to upgrade my screen from a 96" dia. DIY screen to a 106" hi-power in September. I'll probably get a similar thrill at that time as well

I SOOOOOOO know the rushing home from work thing - and before I put blackout cloth on my windows the countdown for the sun to go down! That first weekend I put it all together was quite comical as I found myself finding anything I could do to pass the time. Sun is up FOREVER in the summer.

I've also always been into home theater stuff. Even before DVDs I had the sound systems and arrangements in my bedroom - considered myself quite a hobbyist especially when DVD hit... but the projector has completely changed everything. THIS is a home theater.

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
Hehe , way to go Adam ! I dig your enthusiasm

There is nothing like having that big screen experience in your home , sometimes I feel like the Joker due to my perma-grin

Regards ,

- Jason

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO /forum/post/14338096

When I turn on my PJ it is like that fios commercial, Even the dog say's WOW.

My dog has become quite the fan of Planet Earth now. It's funny 'cause I had a 62 inch before this... certainly not a small TV, and she never once paid attention. Now she is IN to Planet Earth. She runs up and sniffs the screen and everything. Awesome.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Ego /forum/post/14337399

I

...and I am still in awe every time I fire it up.

You can't imagine how awesome it is.

i've been in this 'state' for 4 years as of july 8, '04 when i 1st got my hd pj.

one week ago i added a onkyo hd805 hd dvd player (with its reon vid. proc.) and WOW
!!!

now i'm in a newer state of awe all over again! (deja vu!), i cant believe how great looking it's made my dvds.

and of course hi def is awesome! (ive had hdtv for 4 years and hd dvd for 9 months).

the honeymoon continues...

projectors ROCK!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14338240

i've been in this 'state' for 4 years as of july 8, '04 when i 1st got my hd pj.

one week ago i added a onkyo hd805 hd dvd player (with its reon vid. proc.) and WOW
!!!

now i'm in newer state of awe all over again! (deja vu!), i cant believe how great looking it's made my dvds. and of course hi def is awesome!

the honeymoon continues...

projectors ROCK!!

I was pretty stunned at how stunning dvd upconverting was. I put in my Incredibles disc and was quite relieved that it put out such a decent picture. Moments looked quite high definition. In comparison, of course - hi-def is a different league, but proper upconverting is quite the technology....

...and had you really not had any HD content until a week ago!?!??!

·
Registered
645 Posts
i to came across this site and read about front projectors bought one and i love it i will always have a projector i will never go back to rear projection tv.i went to the movies for the first time this week in about 2 years and i much rather watch a movie at home. by the way my projector is the mits.hd1000 on a 100 inch screen.i love when people come over and watch something for the first time and i love the fact that i am the only person i know that truly has a home theater.THANK YOU

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought my first PJ close to 3yrs ago, a Panny900 plus a hi-powered Da-lite Screen and love it just as much if not more then the day I got it. The novelity never seems to wear off. My flat panel LCD TV which is 2yrs newer then the PJ gets very little use. I used to try to use my PJ spearingly to save bulb life, but now I fire it up almost daily. The price of new bulbs although expensive are well worth the daily use for me

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
i will chime in here as well. i am on my 3rd projector and i think this one is here to stay (at least for quite some time) i went from:

InFocus IN72 480p

Mitsubishi HD1000u 720p

Benq W9000 1080p

the HD1000u was a jump in time from the 480p InFocus..but then I discovered what all the fuss is about with 1080P and Blue Ray w/ a PS3 and my new Benq W9000 and all I can say is HOLY POOP ON A STICK!!!

everyone who comes to my house is absolutely blown away with the image quality (even on upconversion SD dvd's or HD tv) and makes the same comment...."why would ANYONE buy a regular TV for 2000.00 - 3000.00 at 50" when yoju can have THIS!!! for much less!~!?!?!?!"

I will NEVER go back to a TV unless it's a 50" for the bedroom. btw..i'm running 120" screen and would go bigger if i had the room. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/14338559

i will chime in here as well. i am on my 3rd projector and i think this one is here to stay (at least for quite some time) i went from:

InFocus IN72 480p

Mitsubishi HD1000u 720p

Benq W9000 1080p

the HD1000u was a jump in time from the 480p InFocus..but then I discovered what all the fuss is about with 1080P and Blue Ray w/ a PS3 and my new Benq W9000 and all I can say is HOLY POOP ON A STICK!!!

everyone who comes to my house is absolutely blown away with the image quality (even on upconversion SD dvd's or HD tv) and makes the same comment...."why would ANYONE buy a regular TV for 2000.00 - 3000.00 at 50" when yoju can have THIS!!! for much less!~!?!?!?!"

I will NEVER go back to a TV unless it's a 50" for the bedroom. btw..i'm running 120" screen and would go bigger if i had the room. :)

Strangest thing too? I actually now treat movie/tv watching and gaming as an event and actually spend less time doing it than I used to before having a projector. I actually schedule time to watch something and then fill the rest of my time doing stuff I actually NEED to do whereas before I would flip mindlessly. That seems to have subsided and I couldn't be happier. It's a total quality over quantity thing and my interest in normal TV viewing is almost nil.

So yes, projectors will make you more efficient to boot.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Ego /forum/post/14338431

I was pretty stunned at how stunning dvd upconverting was. I put in my Incredibles disc and was quite relieved that it put out such a decent picture. Moments looked quite high definition. In comparison, of course - hi-def is a different league, but proper upconverting is quite the technology....

...and had you really not had any HD content until a week ago!?!??!

you misunderstood my post.
not that that's hard to do.

i just got the onkyo hd805 hd dvd player with the reon video processor (for mucho improved deinterlacing and upscaling of sd dvds)(onkyo hd805 is a clone of toshiba xa2) last week.

ive had hd dvd for 9 months and i had hd tv for last 4 years until i stopped service last oct.

but the onkyo breathes a whole new life into my sd dvds and hd pj.

i am re-blown away!

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Ego /forum/post/14338834

Strangest thing too? I actually now treat movie/tv watching and gaming as an event and actually spend less time doing it than I used to ... So yes, projectors will make you more efficient to boot.

...and alot smarter, too~!

My first movie purchase was a VHS tape of 2001: a space odyssey somewhere back in the dark ages (late 70s). Man that tape sucked, especially on my 25" TV! But I was hooked, bitten by the HT bug, though only after many thousands of laserdiscs and DVDs and now HD DVDs and Blu-ray, do I finally have a 1080p front projector and the whole world has changed! Home Theater, truly, has finally arrived, and it's a wonderful thing.

The flickering light of crystal-clear images on a massive screen, right here in my own home. Glorious.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
laserfan..what projector are you using? what size screen? we should all include that info in our posts in this thread i think...just for comparison

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/14339790

laserfan..what projector are you using? what size screen? we should all include that info in our posts in this thread i think...just for comparison

Nah... "Big" is in the eye of the beholder. If you'd like you can start an Official "Mine's bigger, brighter, sharper, prettier than yours" thread.

This one's for "I (finally) got mine and I just love it, so there"!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/14339790

notice my signature for screen size.

also, to see my gear list click on user name at left of post, click on 'public profile'.

folks could put their pj/source/gear list in there.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Love this post just upgraded to Sanyo z2000 1080p about 3 months ago on a 106" dalight screen, and must agree with Pure-Evil, holy poop on a stick. Picture is just flawless and all my buddies with their plasma's and lcd monitors are just blown away. I can tell they will be buying a 1080p projector as there new home theater, cause they always come to my house for all the big hd events.LOL. I'm lovin it!

1 - 20 of 179 Posts