AVS Forum banner

5941 - 5960 of 5964 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
So I got a new HCS S809 Jamo speaker 5.1 setup with the S810 sub as a gift for my dad to replace his Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V system. After everything was hooked up and some movie watching, he noticed that he'd have to turn the volume way up more than he did with the bose. The bose sounded louder and clearer at low volume. On the volume scale 0-100..he'd have it more around 40 for regular listening and 50 would be really loud. On this new system, he'd have to get it up to 70 for it to sound loud. Can anyone explain what's happening?
Different speakers with different sound signatures and different efficiencies in different placement... the entire system has changed so of course it's fair to think that amplifier power requirements would be different. Bottom line is that if he's achieving satisfactory volume levels then the number showing on the receiver is irrelevant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a major difference between the concert and studio series? I can get the c95s or the s809s with the j10 sub for about the same price. Are the c95s without a sub better than the s809s?

·
Registered
932 Posts
That reviewer, Bikinpunk here on AVS, posted a thread here a couple days ago:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3156734-jamo-s807-floorstanding-speaker-review.html

My thoughts are as I posted there:

I own S803s and S809s (one more woofer than the S807 reviewed here) as well as various Revel and JBL products and, with a good bit of EQ, IMO they sound acceptable at the notably-reduced prices they can commonly be found at. I'd say they're best for applications that require high WAF/aesthetic consideration.

That said, I replaced the S809s in my living room with JBL Arena 180s ($240 total for a pair of refurbs) and the Arenas are much more natural sounding and have much better dispersion. The 809s are now my (heavily-EQd) surrounds in my basement 5.1 and the 803s are the speakers in our playroom 2.0 setup.

·
Registered
80 Posts
reason i ask is i have read all kind of positive reviews and of course there is a forum page dedicated to Jamos so

I just found it interesting when I came across this video after seeing so many positive reviews.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
reason i ask is i have read all kind of positive reviews and of course there is a forum page dedicated to Jamos so

I just found it interesting when I came across this video after seeing so many positive reviews.
If one is looking for an accurate/flat response speaker, then Jamo S8xx series is not it. There are many other reviews online confirming that.

With that said, not everyone wants a flat response in a speaker. Many people enjoy a bit of a v-curve, in which case these Jamos may be just fine for them.

Reactions: KSpan and ckoons1

·
Registered
80 Posts
If one is looking for an accurate/flat response speaker, then Jamo S8xx series is not it. There are many other reviews online confirming that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeO79DDuuE

With that said, not everyone wants a flat response in a speaker. Many people enjoy a bit of a v-curve, in which case these Jamos may be just fine for them.
ah... ok that makes sense. thats interesting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got a pair of white 809's for movie watching and I love the open airy and detailed sound. I have them toed in to create a faux center channel effect. I'm thinking about buying a center speaker and I know that the S 83 (in white) is a perfect visual, as well sonic match for the 809's since it has the same 5"woofers and 1 inch tweeter. White ones are very difficult to find and are overpriced as well if you do find them.

I have found an INCREDIBLE buy on a white C9 CEN II which is a very, very close match in appearance to my white 809's. WAF is off the charts. Full retail is $459 and I can buy it new for $160! The C9 CEN has 4" woofers and what appears to be a better tweeter according to Jamo.

Keeping all these factors in mind, do you knowledgeable guys think I should take the plunge? I would have to pay costly shipping both ways if they do not blend sonically with the 809's. Is a C9 CEN II a cut above the S 83 in order to justify the retail price of $459? This is a 3 speaker secondary setup in a large living room. For serious viewing I have a dedicated home theater - Paradigm Studio 100 5.1 system with Revel B15a sub and Outlaw 1000 watt (!) amp. Thanks!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Got a pair of white 809's for movie watching and I love the open airy and detailed sound. I have them toed in to create a faux center channel effect. I'm thinking about buying a center speaker and I know that the S 83 (in white) is a perfect visual, as well sonic match for the 809's since it has the same 5"woofers and 1 inch tweeter. White ones are very difficult to find and are overpriced as well if you do find them.

I have found an INCREDIBLE buy on a white C9 CEN II which is a very, very close match in appearance to my white 809's. WAF is off the charts. Full retail is $459 and I can buy it new for $160! The C9 CEN has 4" woofers and what appears to be a better tweeter according to Jamo.

Keeping all these factors in mind, do you knowledgeable guys think I should take the plunge? I would have to pay costly shipping both ways if they do not blend sonically with the 809's. Is a C9 CEN II a cut above the S 83 in order to justify the retail price of $459? This is a 3 speaker secondary setup in a large living room. For serious viewing I have a dedicated home theater - Paradigm Studio 100 5.1 system with Revel B15a sub and Outlaw 1000 watt (!) amp. Thanks!
FWIW I had a C10 CEN paired with both C93s and S803s and have heard the S83 extensively; I preferred the sound of the S series. Just stuck me as more open, though no denying the sheer volume that the C series can produce. If you have to have one now then the C9 would probably be fine but I'd prefer the S83.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW I had a C10 CEN paired with both C93s and S803s and have heard the S83 extensively; I preferred the sound of the S series. Just stuck me as more open, though no denying the sheer volume that the C series can produce. If you have to have one now then the C9 would probably be fine but I'd prefer the S83.
Thanks so much. You have confirmed what I thought to be the wise choice. No white s 83's anywhere right now. Just need to be patient.....:cool:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks so much. You have confirmed what I thought to be the wise choice. No white s 83's anywhere right now. Just need to be patient.....:cool:
The C series speakers are fine in their own right and IMO/IME built to a higher standard of quality, so you're getting more for the money. Just perhaps not the sound one is looking for along with the nicer cabinets :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
curious of the difference between the jamo s809 vs s807 with a sub

thank you
S809 will ultimately be louder (though the 807s will already get really, really loud), is taller, so tweeters are more at ear-level, and you might have an easier time integrating the speaker and sub because of the extra bass extension. Other than that not much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
S809 will ultimately be louder (though the 807s will already get really, really loud), is taller, so tweeters are more at ear-level, and you might have an easier time integrating the speaker and sub because of the extra bass extension. Other than that not much.
I found one! (S 83 cen white) Contacted Parker Gwen and they gave me a terrific price, along with a 10% discount to boot, free shipping and no taxes. I should have it in a week or two. It was not shown on their site and it was long shot, for sure. I have to say that their communication and effort to help me was one of the best experiences I have had when purchasing equipment. Christine really went out of her way to hook me up!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 803 has a 5" driver and the 801 uses a 4" driver... The 803 also is Dolby atmos ready by using the S8 ATM on top of it as it has 2 set of speaker plugs on it. I love my 803 I use them as 6-7 surrounds soon to get the S8 when they get back in stock.

Reactions: ckoons1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very sad night for me yesterday.. I sat on the fence about finally purchasing the C97ii. Really wanted the dark apple, but settled for white since thats what was available. Only one speaker arrived so far and...

And now they are discontinued. Guess I'll have to keep shopping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5941 - 5960 of 5964 Posts