AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 17663 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
It's nice to have a little home for JBL fans on the site.

OK guys, I'm a bit of a JBL fanatic, and if I listed all the stuff I've collected over the years, you'd want to slap me. It started right out of high school when I got a summer job on the Penn Central Railroad and could afford a real stereo before going off to college. My first JBLs were a brand new pair of L100 Centuries, which survived college, three kids growing up, and a divorce, and I still have them today. Not bad for $546 a pair in 1970.

I have lots of different JBL systems around the house and in my offices, but my main home system these days is the JBL Performance Series. Altogether I'm running six PT800s, one PC600, two PS1400s, and three HTPS400s as subs. Two of the PT800s are stacked with the 14", 400W PS1400s to run as main L&R front full range HT speakers and as a standalone stereo pair.

One day in Fry's Electronics I came across a pair of Northridge E50 open box specials for a crazy price, so I grabbed them and subsequently took one apart to examine it. It's an amazing speaker in many ways, even incorporating some of the same JBL technology as the Performance Series. In most ways the E50 is superior to my venerable L100s, though the L100 goes lower with it's 12" woofer and it has a nice walnut veneer cabinet. The E50 cabinet is technically superior, however.

The newer Venue Series brings much of the value and innovation of the E Series to a lower price point, and the upcoming ES Series should be a discernible improvement over the E Series. The best of the main consumer lines is the Studio L Series, which is out of the price range most of you are looking at right now, but sound for sound and dollar for dollar it is the best deal in its market segment. If you ever find a way to squeeze a set of those out of your budget, you'll be very happy.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Filecat....

How do you use your Centuries? 2-channel?

My first set of JBL's was a beautiful pair of L100's. I wish I still had them today, as I lost them to a very unappreciative EX-first wife!

I had a tough time deciding whether to buy the NOS Studio S's this week, or going to the new Studio L line for surrounds. The L's have received some good reviews. But I guess I was overwhelmed by the urge for aesthetic 5-channel speaker 'matching'. Have you auditioned the L's? How do they compare to your Centuries? (Which, by the way, are fantastic, classic monitors, admired by many knowing audiophiles to this day.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Perhaps With the JBL owners thread, Others like me that own JBL speakers can get some help and respect.

Perhaps someone here can have some positive input in my search for a Center Channel Speaker to work with my L7's. Here are the L7's specifications:

JBL L7

Recomended Power: 35 - 450 watts per channel

Impedance: 6 Ohms

Sensitivity: 91 db (1 [email protected] 1 meter)

Frequency responce: 30 Hz - 27 kHz (+/- 6db)

Configuration: 4-way

12" / 8" / 5" / 1" titanium dome

Cross Over: 180 Hz / 900 Hz / 4 Khz

Enclosure: Tuned port, floor standing

47" X 9-5/8"X 17-5/8"

I was using a older Marantz 2 channel amplifier, currently using a Yamaha RX-V659 rear surrounds are JBL Control series monitors.

I was looking at the current JBL LC1 & LC2 but don't think it will match up due to the LC1/LC2 UFD driver and crossover points. The P35 has 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome but the crossover is 800Hz, 3200Hz. closser but still questionable due to the laminated titanium versius pure titanium dome and crossover not exact.

Also been looking at older S-series (used) center speakers they are suppose to have 1" pure titanium dome but the crossover points are still 800Hz, 3200Hz.

Anyone have any input or using L7's in a home HT setup?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 /forum/post/0

The newer Venue Series brings much of the value and innovation of the E Series to a lower price point, and the upcoming ES Series should be a discernible improvement over the E Series. The best of the main consumer lines is the Studio L Series, which is out of the price range most of you are looking at right now, but sound for sound and dollar for dollar it is the best deal in its market segment. If you ever find a way to squeeze a set of those out of your budget, you'll be very happy.

Did they have the Venue series hooked up? In particular, I'm looking at using all Venue Balconys as L/R/LS/RS/LB/RB, Center and Sub for my movie/tv only HT setup and have wondered how the performance would be in that setup.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Room: 15x18x8

TV: Mitsubishi 62525 (62" DLP)

Mains: JBL Balboa 30s

Center: Balboa Center

Surrounds: Insignia NS-B2111

Rear Surround: KLH L652B

Receiver: Pioneer VSX 1016 (THX Select 2 Certified)

A hodge podge collection of speakers that sound great to me. I'm done upgrading for awhile now.....

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100r1 /forum/post/0

Perhaps With the JBL owners thread, Others like me that own JBL speakers can get some help and respect.

Perhaps someone here can have some positive input in my search for a Center Channel Speaker to work with my L7's. Here are the L7's specifications:

JBL L7

Recomended Power: 35 - 450 watts per channel

Impedance: 6 Ohms

Sensitivity: 91 db (1 [email protected] 1 meter)

Frequency responce: 30 Hz - 27 kHz (+/- 6db)

Configuration: 4-way

12" / 8" / 5" / 1" titanium dome

Cross Over: 180 Hz / 900 Hz / 4 Khz

Enclosure: Tuned port, floor standing

47" X 9-5/8"X 17-5/8"

I was using a older Marantz 2 channel amplifier, currently using a Yamaha RX-V659 rear surrounds are JBL Control series monitors.

I was looking at the current JBL LC1 & LC2 but don't think it will match up due to the LC1/LC2 UFD driver and crossover points. The P35 has 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome but the crossover is 800Hz, 3200Hz. closser but still questionable due to the laminated titanium versius pure titanium dome and crossover not exact.

Also been looking at older S-series (used) center speakers they are suppose to have 1" pure titanium dome but the crossover points are still 800Hz, 3200Hz.

100r1.....

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Either center will work fine. I have used a couple of different centers (but not the L-series), and the EC35 mates with my S312's just fine, in spite of 1. titanium laminate vs. pure titanium tweets, and 2. slightly different crossover points. They're close enough. Remember, these crossovers aren't brick walls...they fall off (the degree of which depends upon the model). I have a great timbre match and even prefer the EC35 over the plastic cabinet S-Center.

Fear not. Go forth and slay the center channel fear demons!!

EDIT: Sorry about this, but I'm urged to be a fanboy for a second. And you're right about the respect thing. Boutique and trendy speakers are the fashion, now. People get really snooty about the inferiority of JBL's without ever hearing them or knowing much about them (except that they are sold a big box ugh-stores). Over on Audioholics, one such ignorant guy claimed JBL's to be passe because they haven't done anything new. OH YEAH?! How about JBL winning the glorious Innovation Award at this year's CES for the Everest DD66000 system. Cheap? Anyone want to spend a hundred grand on a system...JBL can accomodate that, too. JBL has the finest speaker testing facilities in the world and some of the finest designers that exist. Owning JBL's from the old standards and classics to today's super-high-end or cheaper consumer line, is not something to be ashamed of. But I do tire of hearing people who have not heard my system tell me that Brand X is "in a whole different league". Uh huh. Come over during my next A/B speaker comparison. End of rant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the JBL EC35 center currently and was thinking of getting a pair of Studio L890's soon. Do you guys think the EC35 will be able to timber match the Studio L's? or would I need to get a LC1/LC2 to match them?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Might be a bit off... They say a lot of the timber match is in the tweeter, and the Studio L's have a super tweeter to help carry the load in the highs. You might as well sell the EC35 for $150-$200 and then be able to pick the LC1/2 for not much more.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwok /forum/post/0

I have the JBL EC35 center currently and was thinking of getting a pair of Studio L890's soon. Do you guys think the EC35 will be able to timber match the Studio L's? or would I need to get a LC1/LC2 to match them?

I think the EC35 will get you close enough, but you should probably get the LC2 if you're picky. The only problem is that the LC2 is designed to be wall mounted, and can be a little tippy due to its shallow base. You may want to craft some sort of stand for it (go a head and angle it up or down towards your seating position while you're at it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmm, sounds like getting the LC1 might be the way to go afterall. Looking at the dimensions of the LC1, i think it might fit on my existing EC35 speaker stand perfectly too. The cheapest i've found the LC1 on the WWW is about $359. Do any of you know if this is the cheapest price i'll find on it?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100r1 /forum/post/0

In a previous system I had four L7s and two L5s in a 7.1 set up with an L3 as center. The L3 was a near perfect timbre match since it had the same 035TiA tweeter as the others and the 8" driver (708G, I think) was the same as the 8" in the L5 and L7 cabinets.

Kinda depends on your screen or TV, however. I have a large projection screen that's 30+ inches above the floor and the L3 fit nicely standing upright, helping uniform dispersion and time alignment.

The CL505 center speaker from the same time looks a lot like an L Series center enclosure should with the grille on, but JBL states that it is not intended specifically as an L Series component. It was a general center channel release to allow center channels for a number of lines at the time.

JBL specifically identifies the current Studio L LC1 as a likely good match.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm still running a pair of L7s in stereo at home and another pair in one of my offices. Even after all this time, they remain amazing speakers and one of the best consumer four-ways JBL ever made. They love the power and can play exceptionally loud without distortion or clipping with a suitable amp of 300W/ch or more.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide /forum/post/0

Filecat....

How do you use your Centuries? 2-channel?

My first set of JBL's was a beautiful pair of L100's. I wish I still had them today, as I lost them to a very unappreciative EX-first wife!

I had a tough time deciding whether to buy the NOS Studio S's this week, or going to the new Studio L line for surrounds. The L's have received some good reviews. But I guess I was overwhelmed by the urge for aesthetic 5-channel speaker 'matching'. Have you auditioned the L's? How do they compare to your Centuries? (Which, by the way, are fantastic, classic monitors, admired by many knowing audiophiles to this day.)

Yep, the L100s are set up in stereo, driven by a classic Kenwood KA-801 integrated amp and Kenwood KT-815 tuner with a Technics turntable. I really enjoy playing vinyl on these.

It's tough on the venerable L100s to compare them to modern JBLs. The Studio L Series is technically and sonically better in almost every way. Yet, there's a lot of nostalgia and history in those L100s, and there's a different engineering and aesthetic goal. So, for what they are, they're wonderful. But they really can't touch the big members of the Studio L Series.

Since I cut my rock'n'roll teeth on L100s and vinyl, it only sounds right to me when I hear some of the old stuff that way, even though it's reproduced "better" on the newer stuff. However, for classical, electronic, acoustic, choral, and more, the newer stuff really handles it much better.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well, last week I did some tweakings with my front speakers, mainly by swapping the EC-35 center by the E-50. Some people say that by having 3 identical speakers at front stage is the best bet, though.

Even though the S38II's are not the same as the E-50's, I found the overall front stage sound to be better now, with a more "fuller sound" all around.

Furthermore, the center is about 28" higher than the L/R mains, but directed to the MLP. Cosidering that a photo worths a thousand words...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Avliner, how centered fo the sounds out of the center channel sound now seeing as the mid/tweeter set is a few inches to the left of the main woffer? This might be an alternitive to getting a EC35 for me (EC25 sounds funny in the upper mids) .

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Utcpyro,

truth is that the center channel sounds fuller now. Don't know if there's something to do with the fact that all 3 fronts now have an 8" woofer.

Perhaps an even better option would be achieved by having all 3 fronts vertically mounted though. BTW, the center speaker is tilted down a little bit, pointed to ears level, at MLP.

As for the couple of inches to the left of main woofer, I didn't find any difference either. May I suggest - in your case - to try both options and choose the one that fits better for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am replacing my old system with all JBL speakers. My first buy was the center, EC35 (a fantastic center speaker). My question is do I need to stay with the E Series to get the best voice matching? I have been looking on fleebay for some E100 mains and E20 or E30 surrounds. Need some professional help before I purchase please.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes you should stick with the E series. Keep an eye on ebay. I have the E30s, very nice. The E50s are great but are huge and heavy for bookshelves. Good luck finding stands, I use cinderblocks, though montior stands from Musicians Friend also works.

I wouldn't spend extramoney on towers unless you are planning on not running a sub, or get a good deal.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sam,

yeah, you'll be better off by getting the E Series all around, though.

As a suggestion, try to grab the E-30's for surrounds (a whole lot better).

Cheers and kep us posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys. So, are you saying I would be better off to get the E50 for mains and E30 surrounds, and back off the E100 towers? Assuming I will get a sub eventually.

There some E100's on ebay now for $229 each.

21 - 40 of 17663 Posts