AVS Forum banner
2M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  mfaifman 
#1 ·
Okay, after much discussion, it has been decided that this thread should be Re made in this forum. So here it is! Post all your JBL questions/opinions/set ups
here

See less See more
#2 ·
I just upgraded my main speakers from JBL G300 to the JBL Balboa 30. I am looking for a more substantial center than the JBL Balboa center (prefer 3 way versus 2 way). I am looking at the JBL EC 35, but no luck finding it online (besides amazon).

Anyhow, my max budget is 200 with shipping, so are there any recommendations? I see the LC1 and LC2 and wondered how those would timbre match with my balboas? If not, what other JBL speaker should I be looking at? I will be using my set up as 90% HT and 10% gaming.

#3 ·
Center: S Center II

Fronts: S38 II

Rear: N24 II

Sub: Athena AS-P300

Thanks to thrifty shopping, that whole system cost me under $500.

At my production station I have a pair of E30s hooked up to a T-Amp. Poor man's monitors, what can I say?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 /forum/post/0

I just upgraded my main speakers from JBL G300 to the JBL Balboa 30. I am looking for a more substantial center than the JBL Balboa center (prefer 3 way versus 2 way). I am looking at the JBL EC 35, but no luck finding it online (besides amazon).

Anyhow, my max budget is 200 with shipping, so are there any recommendations? I see the LC1 and LC2 and wondered how those would timbre match with my balboas? If not, what other JBL speaker should I be looking at? I will be using my set up as 90% HT and 10% gaming.

I haven't heard the Balboa, but I would say they wouldn't match very well. The LC1 and 2 are completely different beasts: different crossovers, different drivers, different high end frequency response.

The Balboa center would be the best choice, or pick up an LC1 or 2, and then plan on upgrading your fronts to the Studio L series down the road.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugovector /forum/post/0

I haven't heard the Balboa, but I would say they wouldn't match very well. The LC1 and 2 are completely different beasts: different crossovers, different drivers, different high end frequency response.

The Balboa center would be the best choice, or pick up an LC1 or 2, and then plan on upgrading your fronts to the Studio L series down the road.

Good points. I didn't notice the different crossover points until I started comparing brochures. Some have said the Balboas are based on the Northridge series and that getting an EC35 will timbre match with the Balboa30.

Balboa30:
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...CheckProduct=Y

Balboa Center:

EC35:

Does the EC35 look comparable to the Balboa center?

#6 ·
There's one on fleabay. (No connection to me.) It seems a little on the pricey side, though. H/K's ebay store frequently has the EC35. Keep watching. I got mine from another vendor for $135 + shipping. Great little cc, IMHO. I cannot say if it will timbre match your Balboas....but I'd guess that it will come pretty close.

#8 ·
I was thinking about doing this thread a while ago.

I love my JBLs.

Have SRX Series, Northridge E series, Studio S series, and some Studio Monitors.

Oh and some Pro Cinema JBL Subs.

JBL For the win!

Love these speakers.

Reactions: kpotier16
#9 ·
My current setup (7.1) is:

L/R fronts = S - 38II (although I have also a pair of E -50)

Center = EC - 35

Surr. + SB's = E - 30

SW = SVS PB-10 ISD.

My next goal could be the Studio L Series, but only when they got discontinued (so I can get some incredible deals at Fry's, as their current prices are a bit too high, IMO and I'm fine with my current setup for now).

As an additional info, I've heard a, let's say, very unusual setup at a friend's house a while back: 03 centers all over the front stage ( LC -2) and the sound was just wonderful to my ears ( all 3 layed horizontally over a rack ).

Reactions: hopkiba
#10 ·
From my post in the other one:

This is my current JBL setup:

Recever: H/K AVR 147

Mains: JBL E60

Center: JBL E25 (upgrade to E35 planed when one can be found in Cherry)

Surround: JBL E20

Sub: Audio Pro Ace Bass B2-40

Pulled it off (w/o the receiver) for about $350 when the E Series was just ended and there were really good deals on refurbs on E-Bay. Mains were new, and the sub was one my dad had but was never able to use due to lack of a pre-amp.

Let's see... And my car (Toyota Avalon, it was free) has a JBL system in it, and my parents have some studio monitors set up in the living room at there house. On that topic, I think that in the radio station that my dad used to own we used JBL stuff.

On the EC 35, you can find a LOT of black ones around if you look just a little. The Cherry and Beach ones are a pain to find though (if any one does, pass the word to me!)

I'm also kicking my self for not stopping back by the local tweeter on the last day to see if they could give me the pair of Studio L's they had left for a steel. At 50% off, they were just at the price you could grab them online. Unfortuntally I was out of town, and coudent find any one with good bargining skills to go in and cover for me. But hey, I got to fly down to Florida for free (well, the gas for the plane and were I stayed was), so I guess that evens out.

#11 ·
Current setup (7.1)

Mains: E100

Center: EC35

Surrounds: E20 x 4

Sub: PC-Ultra (legacy version)

I've also owned the E250P (actually I still "own" that one), PB12, SP120PII, and whatever sub was the predecessor to the PB10.

They used (still do?) to have killer deals on the SP120PII. If you can find it for a good price, that is a very good sub.

#12 ·
I just posted this is the Post you speakers stickied thread.

However,

Front LX55's

Rear 2500's

Center n-Series Center

non-JBL sub, and I may need to upgrade!!!

I bought the LX55 and 2500's as a poor college student in 1991. The center came in 2001. So the average age of my JBL's is 14 years old.

#14 ·
#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosphere482 /forum/post/0

So has anyone heard much on the new Northridge ES Series?

Looks like the same old northridge with another cosmetic makeover. Better to find ebay deals on the e series.

Does anyone know what the 3rd driver is though. It doesn't look big enough to be a midrange. Probably a supertweeter, a la the studio L series.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugovector /forum/post/0

Looks like the same old northridge with another cosmetic makeover. Better to find ebay deals on the e series.

Does anyone know what the 3rd driver is though. It doesn't look big enough to be a midrange. Probably a supertweeter, a la the studio L series.

I'm thinking it's also a supertweeter.. I wonder if this line will have any bi-pole speakers? I've been wanting a pair of JBL bi-pole speakers, but if I can't find one besides the performance line, I'll just get an infinity..

#18 ·
Mine is a pretty crazy mix right now but I got:

JBL Balboa 30's

JBL Balboa Center

Paradigm 390 rear's

HSU 3.3 with Turbo Sub

I must say the Balboa's Sound WAY better than the money I spent for all 3. Money WELL spent in my very humble opinion.

#19 ·
I'm in the process of getting speakers to go with the rest of my setup, here is the room and equipment in it now:

Room : 12x20x8

Seating : My chair (I'm single) is centered, center of chair 4' from back wall

Equipment:

Yamaha RX-V661 AVR

Yamaha 2600 5.1 speaker setup (cheap, works if played LOUD!)

JVC 61" DiLA TV

Sony BDP-S300 Blu Ray Player

Toshiba HDA2 HDDVD Player

Dish Vip622 HD DVR Satellite Receiver

System is strictly for Video/tv viewing and listening, with a very seldom FM radio useage.

Here is the JBL Series I'm looking at :

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/ser...=US&Region=USA

I'm planning on the Balcony's as all satellites as I like wall mounting, the center and the 12" sub, in a 7.1 setup.

Opinions please. And should I consider towers for the front L/R vice the Balconys? This series seems to fit my budget and I like the JBL sound.

My only other set considered is the Cerwin-Vega CLSC series.

thanks

#20 ·
My JBL system is great for HT and not too bad for music...better than many higher priced systems I've auditioned, in fact. My current setup is about to change as I just acquired a NOS pair of S38's. They'll have surround duty in place of the J350A's. I prefer the older models, up to the Studio S series, as they have pure (and not plated) titanium dome tweeters and rock solid cabinets.

Mains - S312's

Center - EC35 (quite underrated cc speaker!)

Surrounds - J350A (20 year old 3-way floor standing system with 10" woofers and passive radiators)

Rears - Infinity Reference Ones.

All are driven by a Yamaha RX-V2500.

This is an inexpensive system, that IMHO performs WAY over it's head.