AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 8570 Posts

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start this thread now that it is officially on the sony site. I will add additional links as they arise to this original post.

Link: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...XBR960&Dept=tv

Overview

The cutting edge just got sharper with Sony's new KD-34XBR960 34 Super Fine Pitch XBR Television. Featuring a 16:9 Super Fine Pitch CRT, Hi-Scan 1080i display, and Digital REality Creation MultiFunction V1 circuitry, the KD-34XBR960 brings you a true cinema aspect ratio picture that is brighter, sharper and more vivid than ever before.

The KD-34XBR960 also gives you the other high-end features you would expect from a Sony XBR television, such as Cinemotion Reverse 3-2 Pulldown technology, MID® X Multi Image Driver circuitry, and Twin-View two tuner Picture-In-Picture. You can even view your family photos onscreen and listen to MP3 audio with the built-in Enhanced Memory Stick Media slot.

Features

16:9 Super Fine Pitch CRT technology

Hi-Scan 1080i Display

ATSC Integrated Tuner and Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD Slot

DRC® Digital Reality Creation® MultiFunction V1 circuitry

Cinemotion Reverse 3-2 Pulldown Technology

MID® X Multi Image Driver Circuitry

Twin-View Two Tuner Picture and Picture

HD Detailer Wideband Video Amp

ClearEdge VM (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning)

Memory Stick® Media Enhanced Playback* (JPEG, MPEG1, MP3)

HDMI Interface

i-LINK®

Super Fine Pitch CRT provides better image detail with high definition sources. The Aperture Grill was improved by making the vertical slits a finer pitch that increases the number of slits by up to 65% (16x9 base). Also improved were the High Precision Deflection Yoke, Fine Focus Electron Gun and the inclusion of higher intensity Luminescent Phosphors. The result is a more detailed image for both moving and still images, higher resolution picture quality, and better edge detail.

Digital REality Creation MultiFunction V1 Circuitry raises standard definition signals to HD quality via a digital bit mapping process, which is user adjustable. The end result? A display of clear, stable images from any video source.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General:

Power Requirements: AC 120V 60Hz

Dimensions: 39 1/8" x 25 5/8" x 23 7/8" (994 x 652 x 605mm)

Weight: 194 lbs 8 oz (88.2kg)

Inputs and Outputs:

Component Video Input (Y/PB/PR) --- (1080i/720p/480p/480i) 2 Rear

Composite Input --- 1 Front/3 Rear

HDMI --- 1 Rear

S-Video Input --- (with detection) 1 Front/2 Rear

Control S --- 1 Rear

Audio Output --- 1 Rear (Fixed/Variable)

Monitor Output --- 1 Rear

RF Input --- 2 (antennae and cable)

POD Card Slot

Tuner:

ATSC, NTSC

8 VSB

Clear QAM

Seamless Tuning

Digital Cable

Supplied Accessories:

Remote Control (RM-Y200)

AA Battery (2)

Instruction Manual

Optional Accessories

A/V Stand: SU-34XBR1

Audio:

Trusurround Simulated

7.5W x 2 + 15W Subwoofer

Steady Sound® Automatic Volume Control With BBE® Audio Effect

Auto SAP

Audio Output (Variable/Fixed)

MTS Stereo

Speaker On/Off

PCM

AC-3

Convenience:

Auto Channel Program

Caption Vision (CC)

Channel Fix

Channel Label

Channel Skip/Add

Clock/Timer Two Event

Antenna level for DTV

Favorite Channel With Preview

Front Button Menu Control

Picture Freeze

Channel Jump

On Screen Display (English/Spanish/French)

Program Palette (Vivid/Movie/Standard/Sports)

Tilt Correction

Scrolling Channel Index System

Sleep Timer Function

Speed Surf Channel Selection

V Chip Parental Control

Video Label

Wide Modes: (Normal/Full/Zoom/Wide Zoom)

DTV Auto Add

PSIP Program Information

Video:

Dynamic Focus Circuitry

Dynamic Picture Circuitry

Trinitone® Color Temperature

ClearEdge VM (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning)

Vertical Aperture Compensation

Vertical Center Adjustment

3 D Digital Comb Filter

Auto Pedestal Clamp

Auto White Balance

High Voltage Regulator

HD Detailer Wideband Video Amplifier

NTSC Color System

ID1 detection

Magnetic Quadruple Pole

Tilt correction

Vertical Correction

Vertical Size Adjustment

·
Registered
325 Posts
The only problem with this set is the screen is small so the benefits of the uber pitch are rather diminished. Wish Sony would come out with 42" screen - I'd go for it in an instant

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is this TV only 194 lbs like the Sony site says? I thought it was heavier than that. I'm interested in an Ikea stand that can only handle 220 lbs, so that would be an important consideration for me.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Sexy!

·
Premium Member
18,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by edstalnaker
Is this TV only 194 lbs like the Sony site says? I thought it was heavier than that. I'm interested in an Ikea stand that can only handle 220 lbs, so that would be an important consideration for me.

194 lbs is probably correct - the current 34XBR910 is just under 200 lbs as well. You might be thinking about the 40" XBR - that monster weighs about 300 lbs!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to Spider4re for starting this thread. We are all excited about this new tv!

My question is, what is the xy resolution of this tv? According to the info "the result is higher resolution picture quality." Is it possible to quantify this? I know tube TVs are not like digital displays in that there is not a fixed number of pixels... But what about the number of slits in the aperature grill? How many scan lines can it paint, this must be known?... (assuming that it can paint _at least_ 1080 interlaced visible scan lines on the tube)

I think increased resolution could be the most important reason to purchase this TV. But without quantification of what that resolution is, it is difficult to make an objective decision.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Buying a new TV is not always objective though
Objectivity can narrow down your choices, but like anything in the analog world (our eyes, ears, etc) - it comes down to a subjective choice. Actual number of lines the TV can produce is interesting, but unless it *looks* good, whats the point?

I'm not saying this TV won't look good - I'm sure it will. Just saying there is more to TV shopping than specs

·
Registered
181 Posts
Will any Ikea stands handle the weight of this TV? It doesn't look like Sony will include the stand for free, so the price will be about the same as the current 910 which they are including the stand with.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Has anyone noticed that there is NO coaxial or optical digital OUT listed in the specifications on the Sonystyle website?

If you use the CableCard technology and feed the signal directly into the monitor, to extract Dolby Digital don't you need some kind of digital output????

Am I missing something???

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:

Does anyone have a picture of the rear panel layout?

Sony tech support is going to email me a pdf of the new manual next week and I will post a link to it asap.

Quote:

Will any Ikea stands handle the weight of this TV? It doesn't look like Sony will include the stand for free, so the price will be about the same as the current 910 which they are including the stand with.

Several members who posted in the members gallery have stated that their stands are from Ikea. You might also try a search on EBAY as I have seen many of these stands for sale there. The 960 has the same dimensions as the "old" 910 and the stand stated as an accessory for the 960 uses the same model number as the 910, so it should be a perfect fit.

Quote:

Has anyone noticed that there is NO coaxial or optical digital OUT listed in the specifications on the Sonystyle website?

Tech support is checking on this for me and will get back to me on Monday. They are 100% certain there is a digital output but, they wanted to determine that there is both a coaxial and an optical out.

Cheers!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Silly me, I forgot about the IEEE-1394 (Firewire) connection on the back of the monitor. Hopefully there is two of them.

If you use the Cablecard technology correctly and then use the HDMI connection from your DVD player (example), then you only need a Firewire cable feeding back to your surround sound receiver for DTS, Dolby Digital and PCM from your DVD player and DPL and Dolby Digital from the internal ATSC tuner and Cablecard signal.

Yes? No? Maybe so???

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am able to buy 34XBR910 for $1860 including taxes ... Guys what should I do wait for 960 or just grap 910 for that price ASAP ???????????? ahhhhh

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd certainly wait for the 960 unless you could get the 910 including taxes for less then $1700.... Frankly in my situation, I'd want the 910 to be less then $1600...

The 960's list price is dropping by 300 and arguably it getting 300-400 in improvements(cable card, integrated tuner/hdmi and some picture quality improvments).

IMHO closeout TV sets are usually a bad deal when the model on closeout is being replaced by something significantly better and noticeably cheaper. In terms of picture quality, I doubt the 960 will be that much better but the integrated tuner/cable card/hdmi are big additions. Dealers may take advantage of the consumers that don't know about the upcoming XBR960...

Closeouts can be a very good deal on a set whose replacement is just getting a little bit better and isn't changing in price much.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before I heard about the 960 I was ready to buy the 910. I was quoted a price of $1750.00 w/free delivery (no stand- didn't need it) by a major chain in the ny,nj,ct area. If they were able to offer the 910 to me at that price the 960 should certainly be sold at that price point. Maybe not at first due to initial demand but soon after.

My suggestion is to hold out for the 960. Ya can't beat all those extra goodies!

Cheers

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please note that Sony has changed the model # for the 960 stand on their website. The new # is su34xbr3 but Sony does make this reference about the new stand:

Quote:
Designed to match the KD-34XBR960 (also fits the KV-30XBR910 and KV-34XBR910)

If you find an old one it should fit the 960.

Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 960's cablecard allows you to eliminate the set top box from the cable company, right? This assumes they support the cablecard, which I believe Comcast will be doing soon.

If this is so, I find this feature of the 960 to be a great advantage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could anyone give a short explanation of what the integrated HD tuner means (now and in the future) for me, a DirectTV user (can't give up the NFL ticket)?

If I get DirecTV HD, I need to get their fancy HD dish and some sort of HD-specific STB for DirectTV. Thus, an integrated tuner won't be relevant for me on the DirectTV front (I'm guessing).

However, with the addition of an antenna, would the integrated tuner allow me to pick up the OTA network HD programming, completely separate from whatever is going on with respect to DirecTV? If so, could you (if you're bored) explain how that might work in terms of wiring and the like?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 8570 Posts