AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 982 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Exactly...The offer os only good at the sony Style STORE... not the website...

The spec sheet did not list it. BUT the 34" has one. So, logically speaking, so shall the 36"

·
Registered
184 Posts
As another data point, I noticed the other day that the WS550 rear projection models have an optical output (they're essentially a WS510 with an HD tuner), so I'd be suprised if the XS955 series dosen't have one.

Of course the fact that someone claims to have seen the back of a 34XS955 and saw an output is also good evidence. =)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! well.... not that great...

I think BLOATEDCORPSE needs to get a burual already or something and here is why....

I went to CC today and they did not have the XS955 yet.

HOWEVER, I did compare the 34HS420 to the 34xbr960. With both sets on the same setting using an HDTV program, the pq were ALMOST identical. The difference being 3 feet away I can see the pixels of the 420, but the 960 was smooth (No pixels). 5-6 feet away and I cannot tell the difference between these 2 sets on a HDTV broadcast.

what does this all mean? Well, the XS line is an UPGRADE over the HS line. If the 955 is better than the 420 line (it is) then there is NO QUESTION that the pq of the 955 and the 960 is going to be extremely close.

Bloated, the setup at your store must have been screwed up, becasue the 34 and 960 set looks almost IDENTICAL in pq (except for the pixels). I wonder if the 955 line will have the noticable pixels or not.. we will see..

·
Registered
151 Posts
..the set-up may have been messed up...for future owners, I sincerely hope it was! The HS line in no way compares to the 960 in terms of pq..if it did, why would sony even have the xbr line, it's just silly to compare them, as they are two different lines targeted at different segments of the HDTV market. Next you'll be telling me the 13 inch trinitron is almost reaching the lofty heights that is the 960...all you have to do is sit 6 inches away and imagine. Just having adjustable DRC (not that I even recommend using it), is worth the extra two hundred bucks. I find it absolutely disturbing that you're expecting satisfaction with an inferior model after already being disappointed with the 960!..to each their own I s'pose...but it's kinda like trading in a BMW and getting hyped about the brand new toyota hatchback...silliness...if anything, it would make more sense after your dissatisfaction with sony to try sammy's DLP or something similar. But I'll eagerly await your review of the XS...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey...... Just giving you my opinion. Bloated.. Like how you say the sony 955 line has horrible pq...thats your opinion. I compared the 960 and the 420 and the difference was the size of the pixels.. you dont like it? dont read this thread...

NOW back to the subject: KD-36XS955

Please no more talk on any other tv set...use another thread for any other talk

·
Registered
950 Posts
234 pounds! This thing is a monster.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
YES>>>>>>>

You can now download the manual for the XS tv`s at Sony`s web site under support.

YUP ***

They DO HAVE AN OPTICAL DIGITAL OUT ( sorry but I had to yell
)

AND , yes CC (at least some ) have the KD-34XS955.

What did I think ?

Not much

It looks very dark (standard mode=reset) , only had a chance for a quick look.

However it does have the enhanced CC and the new "menu" system.

To me , it seems as if something was missing , although I don`t know what.

Maybe it was the "little" things , like NO metal around the memory stick slot.

Maybe if I had more time or if it was showing better source program , my views would be different.

The remote is the RM-Y199 , which is a "hyped-up" version of the on found on the HS series.

NO thumb "thingy" for menu control.

Just wanted to let the news out , it has arrived (at least the 34").

I still need to see the 30" with a VHS tape playing , if I can stand watch source like that then SD would be ok.

Have fun !!

Gary

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did you see the pixels like in the 420's and 510's?? or is as smooth as the 960? You can adjust the darkness.... I will take a look at them when they get to the LA stores... BUT I dont think you can compare the 16:9 vs the 4:3??? I would REALLY like to see how the 4:3 views SD material....the 16:9 probably compares with the 960....but I wonder how the 36" will handle this?

ah... man... no "THUMBY thing"?? I liked that....

also, that manual is actually for the 34" not the 36"...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hi JB,

Actually , the manual is for all 3 ( 30" + 34" + 36" ).

I couldn`t tell , it realy was a very quick look.

But I did go through the menus and I went to the video mode and selected "standard" and then hit reset just to get every thing back to factory spec`s and it still looked dark.

Yes , you can make it brighter , but compaired to other Sony`s with equal settings , it just seemed a little to dark.

Y`a , the remote is a "cheapy" .

Have you downloaded the manual ? If not give it a try , even in the manual it states the differances between the 36" and the 30" + 34 ".

O and there seems be be a 4th mode of "stretching" something that the 960 is missing (I think) and you can save seperate settings for each input.

Realy check out the manual , I wouldn`t have ya download something for nothin , honest

I didn`t notice any specs or pixelization , put I think it was to dark to notice that anyway.

I`m going to check it out again in few days, but please get back to me about the manual !

Take care ,

Gary

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Never mind bloatedcorpse.. His opinion is weighted. he owns a 960. When I said pixels I meant if your within a certain range, you can view pixels. I did not mean pixelation, which the 960 HAS. I believe it has the same pixels as the 960 (hardly noticable at a 2 feet range). At least sony should have the tuner working in the 955. Unlike the 960's sets that have various issues...

ADAM, try to locate the 955 series of sets. I cant find them in my area yet.

BTW: the REAR panel is the same as the XBR960...

In either case, this set IS the best 36" hdtv 4:3 with a tuner out there...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Quote:
Please no more talk on any other tv set...use another thread for any other talk
Quote:
Did you see the pixels like in the 420's and 510's?? or is as smooth as the 960?

·
Registered
255 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
There IS an optical output!!!

The 36xs955 MANUAL is NOW released:

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro.../KD36XS955.pdf

Check it OUT!!!!

Yes, this was established days ago.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...90#post4220890

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi29
YES>>>>>>>

You can now download the manual for the XS tv`s at Sony`s web site under support.

YUP ***

They DO HAVE AN OPTICAL DIGITAL OUT ( sorry but I had to yell
)

AND , yes CC (at least some ) have the KD-34XS955.

What did I think ?

Not much

It looks very dark (standard mode=reset) , only had a chance for a quick look.

However it does have the enhanced CC and the new "menu" system.

To me , it seems as if something was missing , although I don`t know what.

Maybe it was the "little" things , like NO metal around the memory stick slot.

Maybe if I had more time or if it was showing better source program , my views would be different.

The remote is the RM-Y199 , which is a "hyped-up" version of the on found on the HS series.

NO thumb "thingy" for menu control.

Just wanted to let the news out , it has arrived (at least the 34").

I still need to see the 30" with a VHS tape playing , if I can stand watch source like that then SD would be ok.

Have fun !!

Gary

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I can't wait to see one and finally hear the reviews. I've been waiting for a TV to replace my 36XBR200. It's been great and has served me well for the last 6 years. I've been using it to watch HD programming and it looks great, even though it's not an HD TV.

Anyways, the size is great for me. Any 16:9 is too small and I don't want plasma or DLP. So this might be my answer!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Russ

21 - 40 of 982 Posts