AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 982 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass /forum/post/0

I couldn't find any info on this IODATA LP2 player. How much are we talking about? Any reason I shouldn't go with the Toshiba HD-A1? Seems to be a popular model. The official thread is so gargantuan, though, I haven't made much of a dent.

Here is a 4000 post thread on it lp2 thread

and a newer thread with links is here here

It was around $200 after rebate when I bought it. You do need to revert firmware to get upscaling (or rip to files) and get rid of some filters for best viewing

iodat lp2

looks like compusa will now have it for $199

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the links. But this player doesn't play HD-DVDs, does it? Also, it's not region-less, which is a necessity for me. Unless this can be corrected through firmware changes.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Compass-

I would definately get an HD-DVD player. If you can wait a bit, the next-gen units will be better in many ways.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 /forum/post/0

Compass-

I would definately get an HD-DVD player. If you can wait a bit, the next-gen units will be better in many ways.

How long do I have to wait?

(p.s. Slowdive = king of all shoegazers)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Id say by christmas time. If audio is an important factor to you, the new HD-DVD players will have multi-channel Dolby TrueHD (Only stereo now) Also, they will be able to pass 1080P video. There is also the option of getting a Playstation 3, which would be a perfect compliment to the 36XS955.

Slowdive is about the only shoegazer band i have never heard, so i'll have to check em out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the problem with my kd36xs955. It shuts off and turns back on and after a while it doesn't turn back on until I unplug it from the wall. It seems to happen more when the room is warmer. I checked the error codes with the display, 5, - vol, power and I've got all zeros except for 101: WDT 3 What would be the problem? The tv is 14 months old and this happens 3-6 times per day.

I heard that my D board could be bad...

Any thoughts?

Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys,

I solved my selection.....went to a couple of stores, BB, HH and looked at both the Sony 34xbr970 and the Sammy TXS-3082...the 3082 had the better picture in BB and it was right next to the xbr970...however, the geometry issues were present, easy to see in the menu mode., slight but there in any case. I could live with it....until.....

Went to HH to have a look-see.....saw the xbr970, and the 3082....and to the left of the xbr970 was the KD36XS955....hands down it beat them all. $20 more than the Sammy, $400 less than the xbr970 and the picture was fantastic. That superfine dot pitch tube makes a big diff. Looking at a High-def news channel there were no visible vertical lines in text shown in the bottom ticker on the XS955...on the xbr970 and the 3082 they were easy to see.

Delivery is Tuesday....now I need to order the OPPO 971 to seal the deal.

I'm in the Atlanta metro area and while I was closing the sale I glanced at the computer the sales guys was using...it showed stock for the 36XS955 in the area stores...looks like they have about 20-25 in stock in the area. And from what the price was marked, they look to be closing out inventory. I got a great deal.

FYI, one store had the price marked $100 less than the other. If you are in the Atlanta area, make sure to check out the prices at multiple stores and ask for inventory amounts.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Just scored on a floor model at CC for 739. They are delivering it on Friday. No geometry problems seen on it and it looked to be in great shape. I have a 34" Panasonic which I love and had a Toshiba 36HF73 which I bought at Costco a few years ago. I thought the Toshiba

PQ was great until I got my Panasonic. The PQ I saw at CC was superb. Sold me Toshiba for 600 dollars so it was not much money to upgrade. Anyone have directv hooked to this set?

HD channels looked great on my Panasonic but terrible on my Toshiba. Comcast HD channels looked much better on my Toshiba. I can only assume that the Panasonic has a better noise reduction circuit. Hopefully they will look even better then my Panasonic. I do think that no CRT can match the colors I am seeing on my Panasonic.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfousch /forum/post/0

Went to HH to have a look-see.....saw the xbr970, and the 3082....and to the left of the xbr970 was the KD36XS955....hands down it beat them all. $20 more than the Sammy, $400 less than the xbr970 and the picture was fantastic. That superfine dot pitch tube makes a big diff. Looking at a High-def news channel there were no visible vertical lines in text shown in the bottom ticker on the XS955...on the xbr970 and the 3082 they were easy to see.

FYI, one store had the price marked $100 less than the other. If you are in the Atlanta area, make sure to check out the prices at multiple stores and ask for inventory amounts.

I live in Birmingham and am not that familiar w/Atlanta... what is HH?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Finally got my set. Only problem was with my Directv h20 hdmi output. Called Sony and they

unoffically acknowledged the problem but would not officially say that it was a documented problem. Component looks as good and my hdmi dvd player works fine so I will be keeping that input for a HD player. Also widescreen material is very compressed. My last 36'' hd set

wasn't as compressed. I vertically stretched it and it looks great but as soon as you change hd stations it goes back to full which is letterboxed on this set. Not thrilled that I Have to do it every time I change stations. My Toshiba would keep that setting until I changed it evertime I change a station. Calibrated from the torch mode and all looks great. I still have to give the edge to my Panasonic 34wx54 for overall

PQ. I know I will offend some Sony loyalist but my Panasonic has an equal sharpness and

more vibrant colours and more of a silky three dimensional look. I know after looking at many televisions that I have the best two crts made.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 /forum/post/0

Just found a stretch mode on my directv remote that does a great job and sets it

until you change it.

I don't think that's a good way to go. I had the same problem with DISH because of the automatic letterboxing when the set sees a 1080i or a 720p signal.

In my case I just set the TV to be a 16:9 set for HD setup (in Dish). That way it looks correct for HD sets in full mode and no scaling/loss of resolution.

For the great majority of the other 200-300 stations -yes they are in a postage stamp. But it is better watching them in s-video anyway for me so I just switch inputs. For the WAF it is left mostly in S-video and the HDMI input is reserved for HD (when a channel really is in HD)

EDIT - I did have directv for a couple days before going to Dish - in one department they had the advantage with this TV - you could set Native for the mode versus Dish having to choose 1080i/720p or one of the 480s

This was a tremendous advantage in that you could leave it at Native but I sort of still recollect needing to hit the picture button to size it correctly

Oh well - the dilemna of a 4:3 tv in a 16:9 HD world does require some compromising - but not as much as the 16:9 folks being force to watch their 4:3 material in a postage stamp without options except distortion.

This really did seem to work better on my COMCAST box (Motorola) when I had it

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Actually everthing is great with the directv. Now I still have to go into the main menu and vertically expand the picture every time I restart the dvd player or switch inputs. I wish the

remote had a aspect button like my Panasonic CT34WX54. On that remote I can change it with a push of a button. Sony should of either did that or have the setting stick till you manually change them. Other then that annoying problem I love this set. PQ on HD is fantastic. Better then my Panasonic. My Panasonic has a better dvd PQ. Both sets are in my opinion fantastic. Strange that Consumer reports gave the XBR960 a excellent rating for HD PQ and this set and the 34'' XS a very good rating. I was under the impression that

they have the same insides. I saw this one and the xbr960 next to one another with the

same hd feed and they looked identical with the same settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HH is HHgregg. Have had the unit for about a week now and I've very pleased. I'm waiting for my OPPO 971 to arrive and complete the setup. And I connected my Denon 1905 center channel pre-amp out to the TV's center speakers under the HDMI connector. Since the OPPO 971 is DVI out this will work great to eliminate the center speaker.

-B

·
Registered
126 Posts
Any owners of this set have an issue with vertical shadow-like areas that are readily visible on light backgrounds and/or when the camera pans? If the image is static, you can't see anything wrong, but as soon as it moves, whoa, watch out. It almost appears as a light case of burn-in, but the set is brand new. Any ideas?

I looked closely at Sony's Warranty, and they won't attempt to fix "screen imperfections", so I'm kind of on my own here. Thanks in advance.

Oh, does anyone have any trusted service techs they can recommend in So Cal? Preferably someone who is familiar with Sony CRTs?

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1352Ovideo /forum/post/0

When I view a light gray background on my 36XS955, I get patches of lighter and darker colors. The corners are relatively OK, between the LB corner and middle I get a yellowish looking patch. It is not apparent for normal video - I see it if I put a up 'still' menu (I have Dish).

No amount of changing 'Landing' settings has helped. Am I missing something? Please help. TIA.

This is the closest post I could find to my problem. My issue occurs on all light-colored screens, though, and I don't have a yellowish looking patch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a slight unevenness in the application of the phosphors coating the inside of the screen. Mine has it too -- it's very faint, and it took a hockey game for me to notice it. It hasn't gotten any worse in the year I've had the set; if anything, it's gotten better (or perhaps my eyes are learning to ignore it).

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel47 /forum/post/0

It's a slight unevenness in the application of the phosphors coating the inside of the screen. Mine has it too -- it's very faint, and it took a hockey game for me to notice it. It hasn't gotten any worse in the year I've had the set; if anything, it's gotten better (or perhaps my eyes are learning to ignore it).

Thanks. At least now I have an explanation as to what it could be. Where did you get that explanation, by the way?

If that's it, though, seems like there'd be no way to fix it. Which troubles me as I'm finding it very difficult to ignore. When watching anime, where there's lots of screens of solid colors, it's quite apparent. Or in a game like Shadow of the Colossus, anytime the camera breaks away and shows the light-colored scenery (when you're on the right track to a Colossus), it's brutally apparent. These are just a couple examples. At this point, I'm noticing it more often than I'm not. It feels like the image is "dirty" with these gray-ish anomalies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All,

Been following this thread and after doing my research have decided to go with a 36XS955. Tried to purchase via HHGreg (after seeing the great price mentioned above) but you can only buy at store. I'm in the Philly area so it was a "no go". If anyone has seen or has a lead on a brand new one of these close to the $$ mentioned above within a reasonable distance of Philly (preferably through a B&M retailer), please PM me.

Thanks

641 - 660 of 982 Posts