AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
12,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1462996/the-official-lexicon-processor-thread#post_23099067

At CES last year (2012), Lexicon reps said that they had cancelled their MP-20 audio & video processor, mostly for problems that had to do with the latter (video processing). So it definitely wasn't supposed to released last year, considering the cancellation in January. At CES this year (2013), Lexicon's parent company Harman appeared to be concentrating on their biggest revenue streams, like car audio (75% of Harman's income) and custom-install products like JBL Synthesis systems. Not much talk about their consumer brands like Lexicon and Mark Levinson.

I buy surround processors for the surround processing, so I have been looking forward to the successor to Lexicon's Logic7 processing: QuantumLogic Surround. It wouldn't matter to me if the box it came in had a Levinson, Synthesis, Lexicon or even Harman/Kardon faceplate; I just want the processing technology. With that in mind, I asked when I would be able to buy a pre-pro with QLS. They said that a Lexicon branded pre-pro was likely a couple years out and that I would probably be able to get QLS in a Synthesis branded pre-pro sometime sooner. Aside from that, they had no other info or timeline.

Sanjay..

As you may know the high-end brands are now under the Life-Style group not Pro...

And their priority is complete systems such JBL-Synthesis, not individual components except the power amplifiers from Crown..

Since Dr.Harman passed on and new management arrived on the scene they have cut back significantly in their research & development for the consumers side...

They have developed some incredible audio DSP algorithms but they are applying these to the 12V OE category which is about 68% of their corporate revenue..

Just my $0.02.. 👍😉

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have another question regarding bass management in the MC-12B.

I am using an Oppo BDP-103 as a player and decoder. I am using its analog outputs into the Lexicon's 5.1 analog input. I have the Lexicon crossing over all speakers at 80hz to the sub. I have LFE turned off, and, subs set to mono.

I know the SW signal is reduced by 10 db in the Oppo, so, I need to compensate for that by boosting the SW in the Lexicon by 10 db. What I have done is adjust the Logic7 mode setting by boosting the sub by 10db.

Is this the correct way to compensate for the -10db analog SW out? Isn't it also adding 10db to the bass that was re-directed from the main channels?

I don't see how to boost the subwoofer without also boosting the re-directed bass. If I have gone about this wrong, then, can someone please explain to me the proper way to correct for this -10db?

·
Registered
29,137 Posts
David,

You don't need to manually compensate for the LFE channel, because it will automatically be restored to its intended level after bass management. In a mixing studio, the LFE channel is actually the same level as other channels, but it is monitored 10dB higher (i.e., the .1 track itself is not louder, they just turn up the level of their subs by 10dB). At home, this level boost is done in the analogue domain, as part of normal decoding and playback on consumer gear.

·
Registered
228 Posts
"Want to share something....My MC 8B since 2004 had replaced the power card twice as the unit was behaving strangely with repeating diagnostic sequences....Lately, it also had similar behaviour. Rather than having the agent to replace it again...opened the cover, sprayed with Electrical Contact Cleaner, the internal electronic contacts as well as the connecting cables to the electrical boards...and lo & behold...it is up and running as though as there is a new life..with no more repeated diagnostic problem....Have been running it for the past few days and it is fine! Wondering if anyone had similar problem and how did it got rectified?"

Finally after several years, managed to find the problem of the repeating diagnostic sequences of the MC 8B sound processor. Understand that there are others who have similar problems. Well according to the Important Safety Instruction of the Manual, it states among other things this particular statement "NEVER ATTACH AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER OUTPUTS TO ANY OF THE UNIT'S CONNECTION." Unfortunately, I did it as I had an Onkyo Power Amp with internal HD sound decoding abilities. So, I had my HTPC Asus HDAV Sound Card with 7.1 analog outputs to Onkyo and from there connected to MC 8B for bypass and finally to external Rotel power amp. Big mistake!

Now, the HTPC sound card is connected directly to the MC 8B for 5.1 analogy pass through and the other additional rear outputs are directly to the Rotel amp. Amazing high sound definition reproduction with tremendous dynamic bass throughput! Wow...and wow am in the midst of action and crystal clear dialogue and sense surround environment! Lesson learnt---Read the Manual carefully.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hope I'm in the right thread here.

I have a Lexicon MC-12 V5.00 that has been laying dormant for quite a few years. Is there a market for these 'vintage' processors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Absolutely, I've seen them sell on eBay quite a bit when I was looking at them for a multi-channel volume control for 4-way active speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all!

Is there anyone using a Lexicon MC-12? I do and I still love it!

But I have a question, using the MC-12 NON-HD and a Oppo BD-105D.

Today I connect the Oppo the first time with a 5.1 analog cable to the MC-12. Set all LS at the Oppo menu to Large and 5.1. Then I configured the MC-12 and everything works fine, besides one thing.

The red LED lights sometimes!

The manual says that this is an A/D overload.
What can I do now? Is this really a problem for the MC-12? Does anyone else have the problem?

I am using a MC-12B EQ V5.25

Regards

Michael

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Don't have MC-12 but I do have MC-8 with Oppo BD, 5.1 out.

Why large? Use the Oppo's bass management (not as good as Lex obviously but better than nothing)

Make sure you select 5.1 bypass, I think the MC-12 has ability do digitise it. Although I guess if you want to apply Lex BM, or Logic 7 you'd want to do that.

Try adjusting the Oppos channel level. I think you can adjust the MC-12 5.1 input levels too?

·
Registered
29,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaako  /t/1462996/the-official-lexicon-processor-thread#post_24703899

What can I do now?
Isn't there an analogue input level adjustment that you can attenuate to keep from overloading the A/D converters?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaako  /t/1462996/the-official-lexicon-processor-thread#post_24703899

Hi all!

Is there anyone using a Lexicon MC-12? I do and I still love it!

But I have a question, using the MC-12 NON-HD and a Oppo BD-105D.

Today I connect the Oppo the first time with a 5.1 analog cable to the MC-12. Set all LS at the Oppo menu to Large and 5.1. Then I configured the MC-12 and everything works fine, besides one thing.

The red LED lights sometimes!

What can I do now? Is this really a problem for the MC-12? Does anyone else have the problem?

I am using a MC-12B EQ V5.25

Regards

Michael

I still have mine and love It as well. I used to see the overload indicator light up quite frequently when I first started listening to DVD-A and SACD years ago using the 5.1 inputs just like you describe. I think the problem was the Analog In Level setting, I may have had it on manual but when set to Auto I think the problem went away. It's been years since I have had an issue so my recollection of the cure might be a bit foggy. If you are set to auto already you might want to try manual and drop the levels to see if that helps. Actually before you do any adjusting go into the input select, select your 5.1 Oppo input and open the Analog In Level menu where you can see the real time levels of all of the channels. Now play something in the Oppo that causes the unit to overload and see if it's related to a specific channel(s) rather than say all of them. It might just be the LFE channel so that could be adjusted all on it's own.

My unit is the same as yours, MC-12BEQ v5.25. I use the 5.1 inputs from a Denon DVD-A1 where I get dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, DVD-A, SACD and 5.1 PCM. The Denon 5.1 channels are set to 0 db, Large and it's Source Direct is on so no bass management takes place in the player, everything takes place in the MC-12.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1462996/the-official-lexicon-processor-thread#post_24704311

Isn't there an analogue input level adjustment that you can attenuate to keep from overloading the A/D converters?

This is true it does have that ability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I want to use the processing of the MC-12 so I dont cant switch it in to Bypass. L7 Junkie!

I thought the overload ment, that there is to much info for A/D of the MC-12 from the Oppo. But I will have a look to the Input level and try if it helps.

Otherwise there cant be to much info from the Oppo I think because I only tried it with CD, so stereo. No HD-Track.

Thanks for your info about the input level. I will try and report later!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It works now, but it is a bit strange.

The Analog Level was set to Auto and the red LED lights sometimes.

Now i set the manuel analog level -2. After that the automatic analog level was set from auto to off.

So I switched it backed to auto again and now it works. The red LED doesnt ligtht anymore (-1 at manuel analog lvl was to less).

Thanks to all for the help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think my Lexicon MC-12 died yesterday. I turned it on and had no output to any speakers except they all had a low level hum/buzz. I confirmed that it had a signal with the stat button and did everything the manual recommended and everything I could think of such as disconnect and reconnect all wires but no change. I went looking for the SMR Lexicon forum thinking I might get some ideas there and found my way here. I'm just wondering if I might be doing something obviously wrong or dumb or stupid before I replace it. I enjoyed it very much for a lot of years.
Susan

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think my Lexicon MC-12 died yesterday. I turned it on and had no output to any speakers except they all had a low level hum/buzz. I confirmed that it had a signal with the stat button and did everything the manual recommended and everything I could think of such as disconnect and reconnect all wires but no change. I went looking for the SMR Lexicon forum thinking I might get some ideas there and found my way here. I'm just wondering if I might be doing something obviously wrong or dumb or stupid before I replace it. I enjoyed it very much for a lot of years.
Susan
Your symptoms don't sound familiar to me. The most common failure is the power supply, but, what you are experiencing may be something different.

I suggest you call Pyramid Audio (Lexicon repair facility) in Texas and talk to Chris about what it might be.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Per your advice, spoke to Chris today at Pyramid Audio and explained the symptoms stated above plus what I forgot to mention which is that I also could not get any sound from the speaker calibration test tone.
He recognized the symptoms immediately and said I need a new power supply, which will be $500 or less. He also asked me where I found a Lexicon online support group and I told him you guys migrated here from the SMR
forum. Thanks so much - really appreciate your being there for me. Susan

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Per your advice, spoke to Chris today at Pyramid Audio and explained the symptoms stated above plus what I forgot to mention which is that I also could not get any sound from the speaker calibration test tone.
He recognized the symptoms immediately and said I need a new power supply, which will be $500 or less. He also asked me where I found a Lexicon online support group and I told him you guys migrated here from the SMR
forum. Thanks so much - really appreciate your being there for me. Susan
Hi Susan-

I'm glad Chris was able to help you. He also replaced the power supply in my MC12 last year. It is too bad about the SMR forums, but, you can't expect a strong following of supporters for a manufacturer that is not participating in the latest technologies, and, developing new products.

Chris was also a regular on SMR forums.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mc-14

MC-14 is up on the Lexicon site.

Not much info yet. Anyone know when it will be launched?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Looks very nice -- $10,500:

http://lexicon.com/productdetail/~/product/mc-14.html

The January press release claimed:

"The Lexicon MC-14 Surround Processor will be available in April 2014 at a suggested retail price of $10,500."

But these things have a habit of getting delayed. I suspect all the high-end surround manufacturers are very concerned about the prospects of being shut out of Atmos compatibility.

21 - 40 of 120 Posts