AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
No Logic 7 or Mono Logic, let alone the much heralded Quantum Logic. I'm glad my MC-12 still works (feeding the multi-channel analog inputs of a Denon receiver).

·
Registered
52 Posts
hello again

add info
Hi Susan-

I'm glad Chris was able to help you. He also replaced the power supply in my MC12 last year. It is too bad about the SMR forums, but, you can't expect a strong following of supporters for a manufacturer that is not participating in the latest technologies, and, developing new products.

Chris was also a regular on SMR forums.

thanks to Susan I will be checking in here from ftime to time and I subscribed to the thread.
I'm also a long time member of AVS dating back to the early CRT and HTPC days.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
thanks to Susan I will be checking in here from ftime to time and I subscribed to the thread.
I'm also a long time member of AVS dating back to the early CRT and HTPC days.
Chris
Hi Chris.

I'm glad to see you are here on AVS! There are still quite a few Lexicon owners here that appreciate the sound quality of their pre/pros. Even though their products are aging, and, they have not kept up with the latest technologies, they still sound excellent.

I am still kicking around the SDP40 we corresponded about a few weeks ago. What is holding me back is not having (automatic) room correction to EQ my subwoofer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are there any Lexicon RV8 user groups available from years past? Or maybe archives from the old smr forum that has tips and tricks?

Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
What are people replace their Lexicon MC12 with ?

My Lex may have died (getting kind of cross talk across speakers and no volume control) - will call Pyramid or one of the authorized centers tomorrow but a bit bummed.

May be time to replace the trusted friend that has served me so well for years. What processor are people generally replacing their units with ? Never had a desire to change till now.

Tarun

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Hi Chris.

I'm glad to see you are here on AVS! There are still quite a few Lexicon owners here that appreciate the sound quality of their pre/pros. Even though their products are aging, and, they have not kept up with the latest technologies, they still sound excellent.

I am still kicking around the SDP40 we corresponded about a few weeks ago. What is holding me back is not having (automatic) room correction to EQ my subwoofer.
Not the end of the worlds, there's a SVS EQ1 and Antimode- I've added that to my MC-8.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My Lex may have died (getting kind of cross talk across speakers and no volume control) - will call Pyramid or one of the authorized centers tomorrow but a bit bummed.

May be time to replace the trusted friend that has served me so well for years. What processor are people generally replacing their units with ? Never had a desire to change till now.

Tarun

Hi Tarun,

I replaced my MC12Bv5EQ with a Marantz 8801.

I must admit that I miss my Lexicon and still think it did "some things" better. I was a Lexicon user for 15 years and had grown very accustomed to their sound, and, vowed to myself to be loyal to Lexicon.

The MC12B definitely provided a "higher end sound" regarding airiness, crispness, separation and sparkling highs (pardon my adjectives). However, the Marantz has Audyssey XT32 EQ, HDMI connectivity/switching, on-board decoding of hi-rez formats, network control, and has a warranty since I was able to buy new with a significant discount. The bass in my room sounds much better than it did with the older Lexicon EQ software.

I was curious a while back and put my Lexicon back into my system to see if I wanted to go back. Surprisingly I preferred the sound of the Marantz. I think maybe its a bit of internal bias that wanted the Lexicon to sound better.

If I go back into a higher end piece it will be a Meridian 861, Classe SSP800, Anthem D2v, or Theta Casablanca (used of course). But, to be honest, the Marantz is so good that the purchase price of a higher end piece would be hard to justify; especially with how quick new formats are being brought into the market.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Tarun,

I replaced my MC12Bv5EQ with a Marantz 8801.

I must admit that I miss my Lexicon and still think it did "some things" better. I was a Lexicon user for 15 years and had grown very accustomed to their sound, and, vowed to myself to be loyal to Lexicon.

The MC12B definitely provided a "higher end sound" regarding airiness, crispness, separation and sparkling highs (pardon my adjectives). However, the Marantz has Audyssey XT32 EQ, HDMI connectivity/switching, on-board decoding of hi-rez formats, network control, and has a warranty since I was able to buy new with a significant discount. The bass in my room sounds much better than it did with the older Lexicon EQ software.

I was curious a while back and put my Lexicon back into my system to see if I wanted to go back. Surprisingly I preferred the sound of the Marantz. I think maybe its a bit of internal bias that wanted the Lexicon to sound better.

If I go back into a higher end piece it will be a Meridian 861, Classe SSP800, Anthem D2v, or Theta Casablanca (used of course). But, to be honest, the Marantz is so good that the purchase price of a higher end piece would be hard to justify; especially with how quick new formats are being brought into the market.
David

Thanks for the response. Yes we Lexicon guys are a loyal bunch aren't we. I too have had Lex for some 15 years through the various versions of the DC and then MC lineup. I just spoke with Pyramid Audio and they think may be my power supply which I will send in to fix

Though perhaps it is time to move on and another friend just recommended the Marantz to me too. The Marantz 8802 come out next month. So now have the change fever. Taking the Lex out today to send to repair. May not have the patience to hook at the cables back in and just stay HDMI (since I have the non HDMI version) with the Marantz. Decisions/choices.

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
David

Thanks for the response. Yes we Lexicon guys are a loyal bunch aren't we. I too have had Lex for some 15 years through the various versions of the DC and then MC lineup. I just spoke with Pyramid Audio and they think may be my power supply which I will send in to fix

Though perhaps it is time to move on and another friend just recommended the Marantz to me too. The Marantz 8802 come out next month. So now have the change fever. Taking the Lex out today to send to repair. May not have the patience to hook at the cables back in and just stay HDMI (since I have the non HDMI version) with the Marantz. Decisions/choices.

Thanks for your input.

Tarun,

Do you plan to utilize atmos? If not, I suggest you consider the 8801 over the 8802. From what I have read the quality of the 8801 is better. You may want to research further...

Reactions: ChadhaT

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was trying to avoid research and cheat by getting recommendations :) ...but probably will start the research process now.

I do not plan on height channels yet (too much wiring - have a dedicated home theater and do not wish to tear out ceilings/walls to add more wiring and then paint etc). However anything I purchase I do want to be future proof for at least a few years and possibly adapt to the new DTS format coming out too. It may depend on price/value (e.g. if the 8801 becomes heavily discounted vs, 8802)

Looks like I will need the deep dive on 8801 vs. 8802 now :) thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've heard that it's pretty common for aging MC-12's to experience power supply failure. Does anyone know the specifics? Does (in most cases) the existing power supply need to be recapped, or are there additional parts that need to be repaired/replaced?

Are OEM power supplies available, and if so - what do they run without installation fees?

My unit is still pretty stable. In fact in the last 11 years or so I rarely powered the unit down from the back switch. I only do this if I need to make an occasional change to the rear panel I/O configuration.

I just added a NIB Rane THX 44 EQ to my system. Needless to say I powered the Lex down. And yes - the Rane was brand new, still in the box. Got a great deal on it from a former dealer who had it in storage for 10 years.

Thanks.

-paul.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The only issue I have had with mine since purchaisng in January of 2004 (I think) was last year I had to repalce the power switch. It had started arching when turning on/off and you could smell a bit of buring. Simple to replace, my local dealer who is not a Lexicon dealer jsut called Lex and requested the part and he came over and installed it when it arrived. Other than that it continues to run just fine.

For convenience though I do hate not having HDMI and now that I'm starting to get into hi res digital music a USB input would be nice.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Speaking of high res audio, does anyone know what happens when the MC-12 is fed a 192/24 signal via the AES/EBU, optical or coax SPDIF inputs? Does the Lex just down res to 96/24 or is there pehaps no singal at the input or worse, noise?

I would like to grab the 192/24 Van Halen albums off HDTracks because they are supposed to be properly hi-res unlike the 96/24 versions, there's supposed to be some kind of issue with those but I don't want to spend the money only to find out I can't listen to the 192/24 files with the Lex, not digitally anyways leading to an external DAC being the only option which I do not own and don't want to purchase at this time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a problem with my MC-12 which appeared to be a power supply problem. What it turned out to be was simply oxidised contacts between the power supply pins and the connecting plugs. I cleaned the pins and plugs with contact cleaner and the correct voltages were restored to the circuit boards. It's been fine ever since (a couple of years or more).

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I've heard that it's pretty common for aging MC-12's to experience power supply failure. Does anyone know the specifics? Does (in most cases) the existing power supply need to be recapped, or are there additional parts that need to be repaired/replaced?
it is fairly common for some switching power supplies to have their electrolytic capacitors eventually dry up after 15+ years of running 24/7... it is a bummer, but it happens... replace them and live happily ever after for the next 15 years or so...

Are OEM power supplies available, and if so - what do they run without installation fees?
probably...
the stock one is a Shindengen America/Esysco FYX 900/73P - BEeb but it appears to be EoL a long time ago...
MTBF - Over 400,000 hours or so they claim... seems they may be off by 270000 hours... well in my case at least... of course that is mean... so maybe there are some really long lasting ones out there...
looks like a fairly standard open cage power supply, so I am sure someone makes one similar... I gave up looking though and just replaced the caps on mine... I would guess if you found something it would be in the $80-$100 range... but that's just a guess...
I have heard people claim they have a new "upgraded" power supply... my guess until more actual facts come in is the the "upgrade" is really just a case of a new vender that is still shipping product...
but if someone has and "upgraded PS" and can tell us what is so "upgraded" about it, I would appreciate it... and manufacture/part number would be nice...

My unit is still pretty stable. In fact in the last 11 years or so I rarely powered the unit down from the back switch. I only do this if I need to make an occasional change to the rear panel I/O configuration.
bad caps tend to show up once power has been cut for a while and they really have a chance to drain...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

New to these forums and have joined to maybe get some help with the MC12-HD which i've had for about 6 months. I'm from the UK and these don't come up for sale very often and i wanted one to go with my LX-7, anyway to cut a long story short, i took the plunge and bought it and have been very happy with it.

It came with V2.00 software on it, but i have recently managed to get hold of a brand new EQ Upgrade board and a set of the Lexicon 4 Mic kit, upgraded to V2.00 EQ Software and all seems to work as it should, was fairly expensive getting the Mic's and EQ board, but i think worth it in the end. Was having a play last night and realised i wasn't getting the 7.1 HD Direct, anyone any ideas why that would be ?

I am running an Oppo 103D set to LPCM and have a full 7.2 setup of XTZ Cinema Series speakers, comprising of M6's L/C/R S5's as side surrounds and just got a pair of S2's yesterday which i'm using as Rear surrounds. Not sure if i've inadvertently messed something up in the setup, but any help would be appreciated.

Shane

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
It came with V2.00 software on it, but i have recently managed to get hold of a brand new EQ Upgrade board and a set of the Lexicon 4 Mic kit, upgraded to V2.00 EQ Software and all seems to work as it should, was fairly expensive getting the Mic's and EQ board, but i think worth it in the end. Was having a play last night and realised i wasn't getting the 7.1 HD Direct, anyone any ideas why that would be ?
there was no v2EQ firmware,EQ didn't start to v4....
to got from v2 -> v3 you needed a little upgrade board... once you had the upgrade, the it is just (free) software to upgrade to the latest v5.25EQ
if you are not at v5.25EQ I would highly recommend upgrading as it fixed some bugs, yours may be one of those bugs, but I am not sure?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
there was no v2EQ firmware,EQ didn't start to v4....
to got from v2 -> v3 you needed a little upgrade board... once you had the upgrade, the it is just (free) software to upgrade to the latest v5.25EQ
if you are not at v5.25EQ I would highly recommend upgrading as it fixed some bugs, yours may be one of those bugs, but I am not sure?
Sure not getting with firmware for HD and regular MC-12? Pretty sure version 2 is latest for HD, and 5.25 for non HD version

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
You may be right... Completely forgot about The HD

41 - 60 of 120 Posts