AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think when your installer puts in the newest updates to software, your rear speakers will fire up. Look at the list of fixes
Thanks,

I will double check but he assured me it is up to date - two minutes to find out so I will report back.

WRT streaming:

My usual setup for audio is -

[Local NAS / Qobuz] >> Meridian 210 >> Audio Note 2.1 sig >> etc
Streaming from Q via Bubbleupnp
Control Point = Linn Kazoo

I set up the Lex via Bubbleupnp and it was seen by Kazoo. Streams from NAS and Qobuz.
I only listened at low volumes as my daughter is on nights, but it was listenable.
I switched to direct.
I found the volume control in Kazoo DID control the Lex's volume.

Downside:
The Lex is not solid in terms of adding and removing items from the playlist, it stops playing the tracks. If you set up and play a list it appears to be fine.

When I came to switch BACK for film viewing the remote only partially worked. I WAS able to change source, I was UNABLE to change the volume, enter setup, go into standby.
After a while I was able to wake up the volume control, by repeatedly pushing remote buttons - very scientific!
I will play with this some more.

I will be running through some of my usual test pieces later today:

Dragonheart:
38:08 - 38:58
In this scene the Knight, Bowen, is talking to the Dragon, Draco, who flies around him whilst talking.
Air Force One:
21:14 - 28:54
The plane is taken by the terrorists. In addition to percussive gunfire and associate pyrotechnics you have a squadron of jets flying around your room.
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
01:46 - 07:21
Dreadful film, but a good workout for the system.
Gravity
First ten minutes.
Great for panning dialogue as Mr Clooney swoops around the Space Shuttle. Real test of system cohesion.

M

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think when your installer puts in the newest updates to software, your rear speakers will fire up.

Checked:

HOST IAP: 7.14 / 2.01
DSP DTS: 4.35 / 3.90.50.00
OSD: 0.20
Net: V2.12.20.6900-7(EU)

Which I think is the latest.

Logic7:
I am running 5.1 with SL & SR. Is the rear info going to SBL & SBR?

Did a lot of listening today.

Music:
The unit is OK, but it doesn't match the Meridian/Audio Note front end.
Not surprising.
Nothing nasty, perfectly acceptable.

Dragonheart:
38:08 - 38:58
The source is a 480p DVD rip with DD5.1.
The DD with DTS X vitual probably gives the clearest speach.
DD3/2.1 gives the most enteertaining and dynamic. Very good. Added soundtrack background detail is apparent.

Air Force One:
21:14 - 28:54
The plane is taken by the terrorists. In addition to percussive gunfire and associate pyrotechnics you have a squadron of jets flying around your room.
The source is a 480p DVD rip with DD5.1.
Again DD3/2.1 gives the most enteertaining and dynamic sound. Added soundtrack background detail is apparent, but also better proportioned. With the Oppo the sound was a bit cartoonish, out of proportion to events on the screen.
DD3/2.1 + Logic 7 Immersion is good and dynamic, just with the front 3 channels, rather like Meridian trifield.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
01:46 - 07:21
Dreadful film, but a good workout for the system.
The source is a 576p DVD rip with DD5.1.
Again DD3/2.1. Excellent sound stearing.

With BR I am not quiet as convinced. It is not that it is bad, far from it - it is just that with SD material I immediately hear a step up, with HD soundtracks I am not so sure - more testing!

Above I wrote:
When I came to switch BACK for film viewing the remote only partially worked. I WAS able to change source, I was UNABLE to change the volume, enter setup, go into standby.

OPERATOR ERROR.
I forgot I HAVE to select AMP before I can hit Lex related functions. The volume should have worked, but I will keep and eye on this and assume I need to RTFM!

M

·
Registered
385 Posts
M

Was that 7.14 software loaded on your MC-10 when you unpacked it ? Or did someone else, like your dealer install it for you. (Or did you) ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Music:
The unit is OK, but it doesn't match the Meridian/Audio Note front end.
Not surprising.
Nothing nasty, perfectly acceptable.

This was running the unit in direct mode.

This morning I watched the end of Ron Howard's film about The Beatles and their days touring, streamed from Amazon. I had been watching this on the Oppo with it doing the decoding.

When it had started I spun through the decoding Modes - DD + Logic 7 Immersion was STRIKINGLY good.

Music 2

I decided to revisit the music, using Analogue + Logic 7 Immersion.
Whilst I still prefer my Meridian + Audio Note there is FAR more now in common, much more like it!

I look forward to getting Dirac up and going and get some of the room nodes under proper control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Movies

From a movie standpoint I am enjoying the Lexicon, ESPECIALLY for DVDs.

I do NOT find there is one codec that works best for all films, I find myself spinning round the options for each film before settling.

Yesterday I watched Spiderman (Tobey M) and Constantine.

DVD
I watch Constantine regularly and so know it well. The Lexicon took this DD5.1 soundtrack and made it into an experience. Not just the set pieces but simple moments like off screen door knocks. Took this compressed soundtrack and produced something that genuinely increased my enjoyment of the film.

BR
The Spiderman sounstrack is excellent, with Dafoe doing his pre-Gollum split personality. His manic laughs and voice pan around the room delightfully. The detail is now easily followed, for instance in the denoument the children in the gondola can be easily and clearly heard as more individual voices shouting to be saved.

The Lexicon has bought the rear channel speakers truly to life. The hard work that sound engineers have put into so many films is far better through the Lex than through the Oppo 105D. The soundfield is just cohesive in a way that the DVD player wasn't.

Looking forward to getting Dirac into the mix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Music 3

Above I wrote:

I decided to revisit the music, using Analogue + Logic 7 Immersion.
Whilst I still prefer my Meridian + Audio Note there is FAR more now in common, much more like it!

Having spent a bit of time balancing my subs I revisited using the MC-10 as an endpoint for streaming, which it does reliably and when using Logic7 is quiet good. It is NOT in the same ball park as my Meridian 210/Audio Note DAC, but in describing the differences I will start writing HiFi-ese.

However, in the evening I streamed a Phil Collins 2004 concert from Montreaux from my Amazon 4k Fire Stick. I had watched this using my Oppo 105D a few weeks ago, where I thought it was OK but no great shakes. It opens with a drum solo that becomes a duet and then a tryptic. On the 105 I couldn't wait for it to end to get to the music. Via the MC-10 is was FAR better with the drum kits coming to life, and being able to track what each of the performers was bringing to the piece.

The overall sound was a tad warm and bass heavy, and I will await Dirac with anticipation.

Having watched Montreaux for twenty minutes I decided to watch a concert I have on my NAS from the '90s, Phil Collins in Paris. I have used this a lot over the years to judge my AV, starting with my Naim DVD5 & AV2. This DVD comes with a PCM soundtrack.

My system has changed a lotin the last ten months, and so any changes will not be solely down to the MC-10.

One of the frustrations over the years when watching this concert was seeing musicians pouring their hearts and souls into some music and NOT being able to hear their contribution. With the MC-10, and my current system, the presentation has taken a whole step up. I can follow each intrument and vocalist in the ensemble, rather than them coming in only to be drowned out as the focus shifts. VERY enjoyable.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When is Dirac being set up on your unit? I really think all this work with it turned off will be in vein after you get it incorporated. But its good info, Keep up the post. I haven't got mine up and running as of yet.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
When is Dirac being set up on your unit? I really think all this work with it turned off will be in vein after you get it incorporated. But its good info, Keep up the post. I haven't got mine up and running as of yet.
When you snooze, you lose. RT is as important as ET.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When you snooze, you lose. RT is as important as ET.

Ott,
You are correct. I'll PM you current events so you know the reasons I'm LATE ! LOL

By the way, here is what's going on in Concord N.C as we speak. Should be making a "different" kind of noise here in a couple weeks on the dyno

Attachments

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Ott,
You are correct. I'll PM you current events so you know the reasons I'm LATE ! LOL

By the way, here is what's going on in Concord N.C as we speak. Should be making a "different" kind of noise here in a couple weeks on the dyno
That should rumble. Maybe a video with sound when assembled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi SS,

In the setup you need to do the basics, and the MC-10 is already a step up on the Oppo, so I am happy to have put in the effort.

WRT to Dirac and DSP:

My previous experience is with a Linn Klimax where they use Space Optimisation, this tunes the result very effectively - but doesn't fundamentally alter it. My suspicion is that Dirac will be the same. By using the box as it is that will be tested, which should be interesting to everyone.

One of the effects of Linn SO was to take vice like control of the lower octaves. This opened up the sound further up the frequency range, so I would expect Dirac to have similar positive effects. However, I still preferred the Meridian/Audio Note to the Klimax.

My dealer will come over as and when social distancing is relaxed, which in the UK may be some time. We are seeing a reduction in infections and deaths, but we have a dense population in towns and cities together with an older profile, so this all needs to be approached with care. At least we have hit the 100k tests per day plus contact tracing is being ramped up, so I feel HMG is doing a reasonable job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Streaming to the MC-10

When you push a stream to the MC-10 you hit an interface that you cannot access through the menus, DMR.

In common with the other interfaces there is an adjustment via Menu that you can make wrt stereo sources, allowing you to dial back the subwoofer input; very nice.

This opens up the music another notch.

This does NOT threaten the Meridian/Audio Note wrt sound quality. But it is now good enough that I am happy to listen to it without feeling I just HAVE to switch in the M/AN.

I had the thought that I might be able to stream movies from my NAS without using the Oppo - Nope. In NET there is an interface for accessing music, but not films - shame. I HAVEN'T tested music using the interface. My experience with the Oppo 105D was that it was musically FAR better when using Kazoo, however I will try this in the near future.

Bubbleupnp & Linn Kazoo work seamlessly with the Meridian 210. It is more glitchy with the MC-10.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Readthis13

PM Sent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quick Update:

Contacted by my dealer. In the UK there has been a slight loosening of the restrictions and so he could be allowed to visit in a few weeks. He has suggested a date but I am consulting with the rest of the family as my wife looks after young children and my older daughter works at a unit that looks after VERY vulnerable children. My gut feeling is that I will push this off into July in order to track the stats, but it will be happening soon!

Also, I decided to plug my Meridian 210 into the MC10 to hear what difference this made. Interestingly I prefered the Lex direct. The 210 pushes in more detail but it loses the balance that the Lex provides on its own. That said, I updated my Bubbleupnp server which rund from my Synology NAS. In theory this should allow me to transcode flac to wav, however, the Synology loads a truncated form of ffmpeg so although Bubbleupnp THINKS it can transcode it can't. I solved this issue but since then Bubbleupnp is NOT detecting the Lexicon, sigh. I have been playing with using my Oppo 105D as the endpoint and playing that through the Lexicon.

I will report back once Dirac is set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lexicon mc-12 software needed

Hi all I am new to this site. I acquired a lexicon mc-12 ver. 3.13. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for how to possibly update the unit. Works fine and I like the logic 7 modes and the fact I have left and right subwoofers plus LFE channel. I read my unit has the hardware for a measurement kit as well. Yes I know in the realm of home theater this unit is a fossil and you can laugh at me trying to contact harmon for any help. Been straight up 2 ch for awhile and came across this piece for 50 bucks. Please any and all suggestions for getting the best out of the unit. I read that the software update actually makes a difference sound wise. That might not be accurate so let me know if software update is pointless from a sonic perspective. 7.3 in this case is rather enjoyable. thanks for any help.

rbtb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Error Codes

Hi there from Germany!

Do you know of a list describing error codes? I had different ones on my DC-1... The last one said: DC-1 ERROR 0182 0081

Thank you guys for any information!

Benjamin

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am searching for a service manual for the MC-12HD.

Does anyone know where I can find one?

I have the service manual for the MC-12/MC-12B if anyone needs it.

All the best,
Ingvar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately they do not have the service manual, only the user manual.

I know that because I bought what they called a service manual but it was the standard user manual that I received. After an email conversation they told me that the user manual was all they have.

Any other suggestions on where to find the service manual?

All the best,
Ingvar

101 - 120 of 120 Posts