AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1933 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Thanks Oliverg!


Was able to tweak the Gamma settings in the nvida control panel and it brightened right up. Sorry for such a newbie question. Are there any guidelines as to how to get the right settings or is it just by eye? Also, in terms of the PV, 4-5K US$ for a HDMI VP system, are they worth it?


Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Jeff's success with this drive & his Z560( Pentium D 925 3 GHz & nVidia GeForce 7600 ) is very encouraging.


I've been really thinking about getting one for my Z556. Do you guys think it would be any different using the Intel Pentium 4 630 / 3 GHz & NVIDIA GeForce 6600? I also have 2 gigs of ram.


I realize it's not duel core. That could be the kicker though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Patato /forum/post/12788036


Jeff's success with this drive & his Z560( Pentium D 925 3 GHz & nVidia GeForce 7600 ) is very encouraging...

I thought 7600 chips were not HDCP compliant. Am I wrong? Per the HDCP standard, his image may be downscaling to ~575 lines, which may look good, but is not hi-def.


I'm virtually certain that a 6600 would not be hi-def.


FYI, I've seen the Pentium D 925 on sale for around $60, so you could upgrade the chip if your motherboard will handle it. I'm in the middle of upgrading my Pentium D 805 to a 950 to make sure I have enough horsepower for Blu-Ray. I've also upgraded my 7600 to an 8500 due to the HDCP issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBrass /forum/post/12788675


I thought 7600 chips were not HDCP compliant. Am I wrong? Per the HDCP standard, his image may be downscaling to ~575 lines, which may look good, but is not hi-def.


I'm virtually certain that a 6600 would not be hi-def.


FYI, I've seen the Pentium D 925 on sale for around $60, so you could upgrade the chip if your motherboard will handle it. I'm in the middle of upgrading my Pentium D 805 to a 950 to make sure I have enough horsepower for Blu-Ray. I've also upgraded my 7600 to an 8500 due to the HDCP issues.

It looks HD to my eyes, and I am a pretty tough on image quality. Is there a way to quantify if it is HD or not in a objective manner? The cyberlink BD/HD advisor program suggests that the 7600 is capable, but could have problems. I have not had any stuttering as of yet and the picture looks HD. I have yet to try BD, but will attempt to get my hands on a disk today.


I will be upgrading this as far as I can to get as much out of the box as possible, I am not a gamer (well, not on the PC at least) so I am not too concerned with that, but trying to make as top notch HTPC is my end goal with this box. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


Here is my setup so far...


...Hitachi 55" Director's Series Plasma

...Denon AVR-2807

...Toshiba HD-A1

...HP z560 (stock with LG HD/BD upgrade)

...SpeakerCraft MT-2 Surrounds

...Mirage Omnisat Center

...Definitive Technology Supercube II Sub

...XBOX 360 / Wii

...Harmony 890 Remote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Your setup is very similar to mine. I have no problems playing back HDTV captured over the airwaves - perfectly smooth picture at 720 or 1080 resolution. My 7600GS card connects via DVI/HDMI at 1080p. So as long as you are not playing copy-protected content (such as BD), you should be fine. That's probably why Cyberlink gave it a yellow rating - it's powerful enough, but may not be HDCP compliant.


The ~575 line downscaling is what may happen when you try to play protected content - such as commercial BD movies.


If this is the case, it will only cost you ~$60-70 for an 8500 graphics card that is HDCP compliant. Newegg.com has a couple passively cooled cards by XFX in that price range after rebate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
If you use AnyDVD HD, it will remove the requirement for HDCP, no matter what the card.


You can use VGA to display 1080p with any card - although that "loophole" might not have much of a life-span.


ICT isn't a reality yet and until it is implemented VGA/RGHHV analog will work.


Some sources (like the PS3) have disabled 1080p via analog sources but PC graphics cards are a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBrass /forum/post/12788675


I thought 7600 chips were not HDCP compliant. Am I wrong? Per the HDCP standard, his image may be downscaling to ~575 lines, which may look good, but is not hi-def.


I'm virtually certain that a 6600 would not be hi-def.


FYI, I've seen the Pentium D 925 on sale for around $60, so you could upgrade the chip if your motherboard will handle it. I'm in the middle of upgrading my Pentium D 805 to a 950 to make sure I have enough horsepower for Blu-Ray. I've also upgraded my 7600 to an 8500 due to the HDCP issues.

These machines ARE Hi-def. That's what they're sold for(HTPC's). I record & play back OTA hi-def stuff all the time. Average one hour file is 8gigs.


As far as HDCP compliant, it's the first I've heaerd of such a thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Oops, I typed in a hurry. I meant to say:


"I'm virtually certain that a 6600 would not be HDCP compliant."


VGA is OK, but some HDTVs give very limited support through VGA. My Sony 1080P RP will only do 768 lines, with big black space above and below the image. No way to stretch it over the whole screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Ctbrown:


That's definitely a typo. The GGC series combo drives are read-only for blueray and HD DVD and can write only to DVD and CD.


The GGW-H20L on the other hand, can write blu-ray disks. It'll cost you another hundred bucks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
For the several people who have inquired about enclosures for the LG combo drives, you need this model Addonics enclosure: ZESU2CS. Read all about it here: http://addonics.com/products/enclosures/zebra.asp


This enclosure has a direct SATA connection to your drive (no IDE to SATA converter used) and the drive fits the case perfectly. However, I have found the drive is recognized very unreliably when connected using the eSATA connector, but flawlessly every time when using the USB 2.0 connector on this enclosure.


For those who are interested, you can even flash the firmware of this drive successfully when connected to your computer with USB 2.0. I thus gave up trying to connect using eSATA (though theoretically this is a faster connector than USB 2.0) because in practice, the drive is much more reliable when connected via USB 2.0.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
I have a problem with my drive being able to read the Blu ray disc Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer. I am using Power DVD version 3104a, AnyDVD HD version 6.3.0.8 beta, Win XP. When I insert the disc my drive makes a low tick, tick, tick sound. Windows explorer shows nothing. PowerDVD can play some of the disc but it takes a really long time to start and crashes when I try to skip ahead. I've upgraded the drive to firmware version 1.02. My system specs are:


C2D E6600 2.4

4GB of Ram

8800GTS 640MB


HD DVD's all have been fine, this is my first Blu ray disc. Anyone else having issues with Silver Surfer? I don't want to upgrade my PowerDVD because it disables playback from hard drive which is the basis of my whole home theater system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
Updated to 3516 and I get Error Code: 8090000A Door is open or disc is not present. Starting to which I just bought a stand alone Blu ray player.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,390 Posts
SS/F4 no problem just now but 5th Element craps after french interpol. PDVD3319.0 No anydvd hd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
I'm guessing either the disc is bad or my drive is bad. I'm hoping it's just the disc. Others have reported being able to play SS fine. I'm pretty bummed out, this was my first blu ray disc and I can't watch it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,390 Posts
I got error code open tray many times with heros off hdd, haphazard playback on hddvd and now the so called winner still makes me fume.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t30t28t16t12 /forum/post/12376107


Matt,

If you are using the latest PDVD, you will need the followings:

Any HD DVD

IMGBURN to make ISO

Daemon Tools to mounts it

I'm wondering what role each program serves in the process. I guess I'm looking for a flowchart so I can put a concrete set of steps (a walkthrough) to backing up my HDDVDs and playing them from the drive.
  1. PowerDVD ULtra 7.xx- reads HDDVD/BR
  2. Any HD DVD Slyfox- removes protection & rips the data
  3. IMGBURN- makes an ISO of the ripped data
  4. Daemon Tools- creates a virtual drive environment for ISO to play using PowerDVD...

Is this correct?


What makes me curious is that I'm having similar problems referenced in the original post- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12375883
  1. DVDFab HD won't recognize my H20L drive as a source
  2. PowerDVD won't recognize .EVO files ripped with AnyDVD HD as a source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdewey /forum/post/12795014


This enclosure has a direct SATA connection to your drive (no IDE to SATA converter used) and the drive fits the case perfectly. However, I have found the drive is recognized very unreliably when connected using the eSATA connector, but flawlessly every time when using the USB 2.0 connector on this enclosure.


For those who are interested, you can even flash the firmware of this drive successfully when connected to your computer with USB 2.0. I thus gave up trying to connect using eSATA (though theoretically this is a faster connector than USB 2.0) because in practice, the drive is much more reliable when connected via USB 2.0.

Have you tried different BRANDS of eSATA cables. I have a SIIG ExpressCard eSATA adapter with a Galaxy eSATA external enclosure/Samsung SH-S203B SATA drive combo. I was getting erratic recognition of the drive. I finally discovered that the eSATA cable I was using was making a poor connection with the actual eSATA connector. The bad cable I was using was actually included with an ICY DOCK external eSATA HDD enclosure. I tried a different brand of cable (the one that came with the galaxy enclosure) and now it works flawlessly. I also purchased a 6ft. SIIG eSATA cable from newegg that works great.


It might sound crazy... I always thought that all cables are the same, but I've come to learn that these eSATA cables can vary from one brand to the next. Read some of the reviews on various eSATA cables on newegg and you will see that I'm not alone.


Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER /forum/post/12795181


I have a problem with my drive being able to read the Blu ray disc Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer. I am using Power DVD version 3104a, AnyDVD HD version 6.3.0.8 beta, Win XP. When I insert the disc my drive makes a low tick, tick, tick sound. Windows explorer shows nothing. PowerDVD can play some of the disc but it takes a really long time to start and crashes when I try to skip ahead. I've upgraded the drive to firmware version 1.02. My system specs are:


C2D E6600 2.4

4GB of Ram

8800GTS 640MB


HD DVD's all have been fine, this is my first Blu ray disc. Anyone else having issues with Silver Surfer? I don't want to upgrade my PowerDVD because it disables playback from hard drive which is the basis of my whole home theater system.

The "tick tick tick" sounds to me like a disc problem. Pull out the disc and see if it's even and flat -- i've heard of discs that were uneven at the edges and it would hit against the drive every time it rotated, causing the ticking sound. Time to go to the store and exchange it -- although personally I'd exchange it for a better movie than FF2
.
 
1181 - 1200 of 1933 Posts
Top