AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 836 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
I think the panasonics have been purposely designed to perform well with ambient light. My next tv will be for bluray viewing in a completely darkened room. Pending further reviews it will be either the Pk750 or 950.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist /forum/post/18370850


PK950 AVForums review coming tomorrow

nice.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
29,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsherk /forum/post/18365283


@Cleveland Plasma:

Chris, this is just asking your personal opinion, not facts or measurements:

I do not want to comment on somthing that may not be fact.

I will comment after we get another PK750 in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri /forum/post/18368825


So, the reasons could be the following:


1. Reflections from external lights.


2. Gamma setting, or not the best Gamma with the correct setting or with any Gamma setting.


In case of reflections, remember that at home we usually have different kind of lights from those used in many shops.

The reflections from the lights were the same for every TV there! They were all sitting on the shelf or hanging on the wall in the same room so the lights would have affected all the TV's in the same way! and since there were so many different types, models, brands side by side, and the LG's were the only washed out sets, I guess it could be the LG anti reflective coating?? But the LG's were the only TV's that looked washed out or dull.


Like I said I played with settings, regular and advanced! I'm not a professional TV calibrator but it didn't take professional eyes to see the obvious differences between the LG's and the other surrounding TV's.


Im not bashing... I really wanted to like these TV'S!! I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Have you seen also the PK950? That seems to be the only U.S. model with the TrueBlack filter.


ps. not all the filters against reflections are working in the same way. There are different kind of lights, like Neon, Fluorescent bulbs, energy saving, etc, and they can have different color temperature (Kelvin °). A filter could do a better work in one case, while another filter could do the same but with a different kind of light. The best thing, if you have that problem (reflections) at home, would be to test the TV at your home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm /forum/post/18371478


The reflections from the lights were the same for every TV there! They were all sitting on the shelf or hanging on the wall in the same room so the lights would have affected all the TV's in the same way! and since there were so many different types, models, brands side by side, and the LG's were the only washed out sets, I guess it could be the LG anti reflective coating?? But the LG's were the only TV's that looked washed out or dull.


Like I said I played with settings, regular and advanced! I'm not a professional TV calibrator but it didn't take professional eyes to see the obvious differences between the LG's and the other surrounding TV's.


Im not bashing... I really wanted to like these TV'S!! I

again, you are comparing torch mode settings. unless you have nuclear lighting in your house, you will never use the torch mode at home. if you're heck bent on getting super bright, jump-out-at-you colors then i would suggest an LED-backlit LCD (at the expense of black levels). you have to understand that plasmas are only at their best under ambient or dark conditions. trust the reviews, not what your eyes tell you in the store!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrandstrongr1 /forum/post/18373258


again, you are comparing torch mode settings. unless you have nuclear lighting in your house, you will never use the torch mode at home. if you're heck bent on getting super bright, jump-out-at-you colors then i would suggest an LED-backlit LCD (at the expense of black levels). you have to understand that plasmas are only at their best under ambient or dark conditions. trust the reviews, not what your eyes tell you in the store!

No I was not comparing torch mode... I stated in my original post that the remotes were available for all the TV's and that I was able to adjust each tv! I spent lots of time with the remotes in hand adjusting and readjusting! I did not compare anything in Torch mode!


I currently have a Samsung Plasma, 2007 model FP-t5084. so I am used to watching plasma at home!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I set up the 60 PK750 today at work and it looks amazing. The small bezel and slim panel are awesome! Set it up in THX Day mode and picture was fantastic. Played UP on blu-ray as our demo disc and watched some hi-def hockey as well. Granted we are in a VERY well lit store but reflections were definitely bad, nowhere near as good anti-glare as Panasonic and Samsung but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if you have the ability to control the light in your room at all. Again, I was in a daytime THX mode and it was still easily acceptable with all the overhead lighting (I manage a Future Shop in Canada). Anyways, combining looks with picture quality this set looks like a winner.


IR was more prominent than other sets but I found that it went away quicker than last years LG's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm /forum/post/18374176


No I was not comparing torch mode... I stated in my original post that the remotes were available for all the TV's and that I was able to adjust each tv! I spent lots of time with the remotes in hand adjusting and readjusting! I did not compare anything in Torch mode!


I currently have a Samsung Plasma, 2007 model FP-t5084. so I am used to watching plasma at home!

i stand by my argument that comparing tv's in a non-native environment is a fruitless endeavor, whether you change the modes or not. making any kinds of assumptions about picture quality under the horrible lighting conditions of a store is almost a waste of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch_19 /forum/post/18374588


I set up the 60 PK750 today at work and it looks amazing. The small bezel and slim panel are awesome! Set it up in THX Day mode and picture was fantastic. Played UP on blu-ray as our demo disc and watched some hi-def hockey as well. Granted we are in a VERY well lit store but reflections were definitely bad, nowhere near as good anti-glare as Panasonic and Samsung but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if you have the ability to control the light in your room at all. Again, I was in a daytime THX mode and it was still easily acceptable with all the overhead lighting (I manage a Future Shop in Canada). Anyways, combining looks with picture quality this set looks like a winner.


IR was more prominent than other sets but I found that it went away quicker than last years LG's.

I can't wait to see a PK750 in person, wish hhgregg would just get it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halokilla77 /forum/post/18374860


I can't wait to see a PK750 in person, wish hhgregg would just get it now.

halokilla, my 550 seems to have a high amount of input lag(65ms according to rock band 2 auto-calibration), you may want to think twice. I'm thinking about picking up a G20 if I can't figure out how to get it down in the 30ms range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrandstrongr1 /forum/post/18374657


i stand by my argument that comparing tv's in a non-native environment is a fruitless endeavor, whether you change the modes or not. making any kinds of assumptions about picture quality under the horrible lighting conditions of a store is almost a waste of time.

How would you suggest that someone compare TV's then? Purchase them all and take them home?

I understand your argument that the conditions are not ideal, however, when all of the TV's in question are subject to the same conditions, then those conditions cease to be a variable in the comparison. The stores lights shine the same on the panasonic, samsung, and sony, as they do on the LG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm /forum/post/18375234


How would you suggest that someone compare TV's then? Purchase them all and take them home?

I understand your argument that the conditions are not ideal, however, when all of the TV's in question are subject to the same conditions, then those conditions cease to be a variable in the comparison. The stores lights shine the same on the panasonic, samsung, and sony, as they do on the LG.

That works if you lived in the store but you don't.


Yes take them home and compare them I think is best. Or get the store to turn off their lights. I dunno


But if you have 1 tv that produces a 640x480 monochrome image, but is waterproof, and 4 1080p color TVs that are not, and the store then compares them while submerged in a tank of water. Then the waterproof tv is the one you should take home right? Because the other 4 apparently can't even produce a picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix /forum/post/18375259


That works if you lived in the store but you don't.


Yes take them home and compare them I think is best. Or get the store to turn off their lights. I dunno


But if you have 1 tv that produces a 640x480 monochrome image, but is waterproof, and 4 1080p color TVs that are not, and the store then compares them while submerged in a tank of water. Then the waterproof tv is the one you should take home right? Because the other 4 apparently can't even produce a picture.

How many people do you know who will be able to spend $10,000 to take 4 TV's home to compare them in their "perfect" viewing environment!?


Your example, however true, is not representative of the actual events involved in testing TV's in a store. Your example is comparing apples to oranges not apples to apples.


It seems you think everyone has a completely dark and light controlled room at home to watch TV? I don't, My living room has windows, my living room has lamps, I watch TV during the day as well as at night... So having light on the TV, shining lamps, windows etc are a fact of life... Therefore testing a TV in an environment where there are lights and reflections is more of an accurate representation of what the TV will encounter in my home than comparing TV's in a completely dark room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm /forum/post/18375377


My living room has windows, my living room has lamps, I watch TV during the day as well as at night... So having light on the TV, shining lamps, windows etc are a fact of life...

I would NOT go with the 750/550 then, I can easily see reflections in my 550 with the overhead lights on. Take a look at my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlmrYpmReI


That doesn't make it a bad tv though, it just can't be used in a bright environment.
 
141 - 160 of 836 Posts
Top