AVS Forum banner

8781 - 8800 of 8835 Posts

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Struggling to see why Revel vs. Focal is being debated in a Maggie thread...

I prefered Revel over Focal when I listened a couple of years ago but there are so many variables I couldn't make any sort of definitive statement. I have more a problem with B&W and have for decades. I have not heard Wilson in years. There are things I really liked about my Maggies, and things I really like about my Revels. Overall I have not felt any longing to return to my Magnepans; you pick the sound you like for you (your music, your movies, your room). And look too, natch.

Maybe we should go back to talking about cars? :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Struggling to see why Revel vs. Focal is being debated in a Maggie thread...

I prefered Revel over Focal when I listened a couple of years ago but there are so many variables I couldn't make any sort of definitive statement. I have more a problem with B&W and have for decades. I have not heard Wilson in years. There are things I really liked about my Maggies, and things I really like about my Revels. Overall I have not felt any longing to return to my Magnepans; you pick the sound you like for you (your music, your movies, your room). And look too, natch.

Maybe we should go back to talking about cars? :)
Ok, Don...Car Talk. Could that include discussions of 8 track and Cassette Players?
Don't know that Magnepan was born then.
Oh...wait a sec. What the hell year is this???
Anyway, Happy Holidays to all who frequent (or not) this forum :)

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Ok, Don...Car Talk. Could that include discussions of 8 track and Cassette Players?
Don't know that Magnepan was born then.
Oh...wait a sec. What the hell year is this???
Anyway, Happy Holidays to all who frequent (or not) this forum :)
According to Wikipedia, the eight-track cartridge was invented in 1964 by a consortium led by Bill Lear (Learjet). Those of us who lived through their era know their failings; those who didn't, be glad. The compact cassette effectively wiped them out.

Magnepan Inc. came into existence in 1969, though I have a vague memory of Jim saying in some interview that he conceived them a few years earlier, and I don't think sales really started until ~1971 (not sure about either of those statements). I think I first saw a pair around 1974 and it was around 1979 when I owned my first pair. According to MUG, the quasi-ribbon panels appeared around 1991, much earlier than I had thought, though I think it has been within perhaps the last ten years or so that the concept spread across the speaker lines and into the bass panels. (I am probably thinking about the time the bass panels went "QR".) The thinner, wider, Al traces replace the wires used before they arrived (for all except the true ribbon tweeters). They are lighter and offer more area for the magnets so provide lower distortion. They should also attach better to the panels so hopefully no more death rattles...

I don't know much about cars, actually.

Reactions: sgibson

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
According to Wikipedia, the eight-track cartridge was invented in 1964 by a consortium led by Bill Lear (Learjet). Those of us who lived through their era know their failings; those who didn't, be glad. The compact cassette effectively wiped them out.

Magnepan Inc. came into existence in 1969, though I have a vague memory of Jim saying in some interview that he conceived them a few years earlier, and I don't think sales really started until ~1971 (not sure about either of those statements). I think I first saw a pair around 1974 and it was around 1979 when I owned my first pair. According to MUG, the quasi-ribbon panels appeared around 1991, much earlier than I had thought, though I think it has been within perhaps the last ten years or so that the concept spread across the speaker lines and into the bass panels. (I am probably thinking about the time the bass panels went "QR".) The thinner, wider, Al traces replace the wires used before they arrived (for all except the true ribbon tweeters). They are lighter and offer more area for the magnets so provide lower distortion. They should also attach better to the panels so hopefully no more death rattles...

I don't know much about cars, actually.
Yep...I had an 8-Track that played back in 4 Channel Sound. The sweet spot was in the center of a square.
People grew tired of waiting their turn to sit in the "Sweet" spot :)
Thanks for the History lesson of Magnepan. I do recall the founder-owner's day job was with 3M.
Much of the great early Stereo gear was founded by muscians/music lover/engineers. Saul Marantz, Avery Fisher
The founders of the AR3s Edgar Villchur and his student, Henry Kloss. I was blown away when I first heard Paul Klipsch's Big Corner Horn.
Only needed 10 watts of power to impress :) And the list goes on. Enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
As for the cars...nobody tells it better than our own ScottH3886.
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I just wanted to pop in and say i got a new dac from ifi (zen dac). And im very happy with it esp with adding a power supply to it. It just brought out that last bit more. Im using the second newest firmware since it fits my system best.

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
I just wanted to pop in and say i got a new dac from ifi (zen dac). And im very happy with it esp with adding a power supply to it. It just brought out that last bit more. Im using the second newest firmware since it fits my system best.
Did you end up keeping your Maggies?

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
yes i might hook them up again with the new dac and see how things changed.
I had been away from all of my stuff for seven or eight months while in the garage doing a mechanical refresh on a recently acquired collector car. I still listened, but only on the little garage system. It keeps me from throwing tools :) and the neighbors can't hear me fart unless I'm really really good and ripe that day. So well worth it (to them).

Now that winter is here, back to the systems in the house and back to the LRSs. I still find them just as refreshing to listen to as they were before and still quite happy, given the cost. Nothing else that I know of remotely close to that price range that I'd rather have. For folks who have never owned dipoles before, there's an acclimation period as you probably discovered. Plus, the challenges of positioning.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Excellent video on room modes and standing waves from GIK, a must see:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'll second that. Best to all in the coming year!
Be watching the clock strike 2021 from Times Square...via TV, of course :(
I can't wait for this year to be over. Horrible, terrible, no good year. We all deserve better. I know I do. A present to self usually helps. It doesn't make things right, but just bearable.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The Focal 1037Be are gone (bought for $1,500 back in April 2020, yesterday sold for $3,300). The upcoming speakers are actually brand new, so there is no way for me to make money on them when their time comes in a year or two. Thats fine, it is not about the money. The small chunk of change that is left over after Focals is being wisely spent on the following:

1. New speaker cables by Acoustic Zen, called Satori. I only heard them once in a room of guy who actually spends more on speaker cabling than on speakers they are connected to. A couple of other guys suggested them as well. The consensus is they are as neutral as they can be and they tend to screw up sound very economically. What this means is that cables never add, they only subtract. The worse the cable, the more stuff it neglects to transmit. The best cable is the one consisting of a few first atoms connected to the termination. Anyway, for the low price you pay for these Acoustic ens they could have screwed up the sound much worse and still get away with it. Their strength, as I am told, is not having one. Balanced, top to bottom. Nothing stands out like "this cable accentuate bass" translates to "its higher frequencies are excessively cut so bass takes over". Nothing like that. Their imaging steps in I heard last. Naturally.
This is the actual demo pair being shipped by ab authorized dealer. MSRP $1,488, discounted down to $350, no tax, free shipping. I specifically passed on the biwire option because of an upcoming Maggie pair (one of these days!)

IMG_2901.jpg

2. Next thing is Soundocity loudspeaker outriggers. These are around $300 for a pair. The upcoming Revels are not boxy, so the front bar will be much bigger. Their site has no sizing/model information on the PerformaBe Revel line, only the Performa3.

Revel F208 speakers Outriggers with Spikes
Posted on October 30, 2017 by soundocity
Revel F208 speakers Outriggers with Spikes
Our SBN11 for the fronts and SBN7 for the rears.
The F228Be looks like F208, but it is actually smaller by a couple of inches which works just fine for the outriggers.
Here are a couple of pictures of them in someone else's Revel and other gear. Their main function is to make the speakers look cool. Their Revel factory supplied spikes can lower the front or the back for you just fine.

REVEL-PERFORMA3-F206-2.jpg Bad-Audio-Reviews-Pic.jpg download.jpg DSC00460.jpg Juan.jpg Kiz-the-cat-with-auto-levelers-2.jpg Paradigm-with-bright-nickel-bars-e1543254289509-768x1024.jpg REVEL-PERFORMA3-F206-1.jpg REVEL-PERFORMA3-F206-3.jpg

So, at this point I am listening to cheapo bookshelf Polks that were otherwise occupied in the bedroom HT. I gotta tell you this should be done during every speaker upgrade. Once you sell your current speakers then listen to some P.O.S. bookshelf for a week or so while your next speakers are coming. You get used to the worse sound of the bookshelves and then the new floorstanders finally arrive. Then they will sound like a million bucks. Contrast, you know.
The downside is you have to keep a puke bucket next to you for a week.

IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2909.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use Satori and do find them to be neutral. I use Matrix RCA and MC2 digital also. If I were to swap out my cables, I may try the Black Cats. My biggest itch at the moment is trying a different pre amp. My Placette passive is nice and neutral but does seem a bit light on the bottom end. I have a sub to fill in the bottom but still not punch/slam at times when it is expected.

Good luck on the 2021 audio journey. Sounds like it’s starting out as a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
My biggest itch at the moment is trying a different pre amp. My Placette passive is nice and neutral but does seem a bit light on the bottom end. I have a sub to fill in the bottom but still not punch/slam at times when it is expected.
Never in my wildest dreams I'd thought a preamp could cause so much difference (not all of which is good!). But a preamp upgrade from a Marantz AV8801 to Pass Labs Refence X.02 was a revelation. The quantity and the quality of the upper bass is great.

and it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg either

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
For those who have ordered their speakers, how long was it from order to shipping? I’m working on week 5 this week and itching to get them. Still a kid when it’s new equipment season. :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
For those who have ordered their speakers, how long was it from order to shipping? I’m working on week 5 this week and itching to get them. Still a kid when it’s new equipment season. :D
Took me 6 weeks after I placed order on April 4, 2019. The Magnepan LRSs were a hot item following all the sweet reviews from AXPONA 2019.
With Covid-19 today, it's probably 8 weeks...realistically.
I used my waiting time visiting this forum and learned a lot on proper planning , hookups and setup.
Back then things were hopping. Enter Covid-19 and this forum really slowed down.
When they are delivered, you will feel like a 'Kid' again :)

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Took me 6 weeks after I placed order on April 4, 2019. The Magnepan LRSs were a hot item following all the sweet reviews from AXPONA 2019.
With Covid-19 today, it's probably 8 weeks...realistically.
I used my waiting time visiting this forum and learned a lot on proper planning , hookups and setup.
Back then things were hopping. Enter Covid-19 and this forum really slowed down.
When they are delivered, you will feel like a 'Kid' again :)
Yeah I have it in my head min of 8 weeks so if they come earlier it'll be a nice surprise.

I've been working on my system. Added in-wall plates with banana plugs for all my speakers. They were just poking through the wall so now it looks much better and will be much easier to deal with in the future. Of course I have been reading and watching anything I can while I wait. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah I have it in my head min of 8 weeks so if they come earlier it'll be a nice surprise.

I've been working on my system. Added in-wall plates with banana plugs for all my speakers. They were just poking through the wall so now it looks much better and will be much easier to deal with in the future. Of course I have been reading and watching anything I can while I wait. :)
Not sure what amp you will be using but I would recommend saving for the best amp you can afford. Maggies love current and lots of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8781 - 8800 of 8835 Posts