AVS Forum banner

9081 - 9100 of 9149 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Who can explain what does "lush midrange" mean?
Full quote in the review:
It achieved its astonishing lucidity at the expense of a lush midrange, but the deficit was subtle enough to be made up for with the proper choice of complementary gear.
I made an offer on a pair of 300W monoblocks a month ago. The guy turned it down. Yesterday he came back and accepted it. I cut the already lowball offer in half. I doubt he will accept it, but if he will I would like to know how bad is that "lush midrange" is. Unfortunately , there are no audiophile thesaurus to look that term up in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Who can explain what does "lush midrange" mean?
Full quote in the review:

I made an offer on a pair of 300W monoblocks a month ago. The guy turned it down. Yesterday he came back and accepted it. I cut the already lowball offer in half. I doubt he will accept it, but if he will I would like to know how bad is that "lush midrange" is. Unfortunately , there are no audiophile thesaurus to look that term up in.
To me “lush midrange” means full midrange with rolled off top and bottom end. Some don’t like the term “rolled off” and take it as a negative. Another way I would describe if the midrange is more emphasized or you would bump up the midrange on an equalizer. A good visual analogy I used to my non-audiophile friends is the concave contact lens. You look from the side of the contact lens and its curved. That’s what “lush midrange” means to me.

I agree. There isn’t an audiophile thesaurus or dictionary. I normally have to follow a particular reviewer and then audition the gear myself. Then I can map what the reviewers terms/description to my own language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
To me “lush midrange” means full midrange with rolled off top and bottom end.
I started to google the term after I posted the question (probably should have done it earlier!) and that is exactly what the others say. So, these monoblocks are not for me. The reviews are not kind to them. But for a thousand I will still pay for them to handle the lower end of the speakers ($9,000 MSRP). They look nice though

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Asked for an update for my Magna Riser order. Was told another 2-3wk. Ordered them Dec 18.

Same order date for me. Asked them yesterday about my MK7s. Final touches happening soon on them before they ship. Hoping it's sooner than three more weeks, but I've waited this long.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Same order date for me. Asked them yesterday about my MK7s. Final touches happening soon on them before they ship. Hoping it's sooner than three more weeks, but I've waited this long.
Supposedly QC this week and then off to the tuning room next week.

I was told they were trying to catch up due to the EOY orders so the batches are bigger than they normally have. Who knows. It’s disappointing on how long it is taking but exciting if there will be any difference or what differences besides they look cool.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
A new review of the 1.7i:

Reactions: Scotth3886

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
A new review of the 1.7i:
Thanks for sharing the review. This part I had never considered (but it is accurate):
As Magnepan states, the company has produced a highly phase-coherent speaker without resorting to a complex crossover network (and it shows).

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Supposedly QC this week and then off to the tuning room next week.

I was told they were trying to catch up due to the EOY orders so the batches are bigger than they normally have. Who knows. It’s disappointing on how long it is taking but exciting if there will be any difference or what differences besides they look cool.

Got my shipping email last night. Hopefully you got the same?

I'll have them tomorrow late and I'll post pics and initial impressions Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got my shipping email last night. Hopefully you got the same?

I'll have them tomorrow late and I'll post pics and initial impressions Thursday or Friday.
No shipping email yet. I’m expecting one to come next week or by Friday. If it doesn’t, then who knows.

Looking forward to your feedback on what improvements they made.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Just got them, but the bar started calling my name. Priorities :)

After work tomorrow I’ll set them up. I’ll post pics and initial impressions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excuse me for not reading all 455 pages here but is there any dealer that'll offer a DWM at a discount? Both of my closest dealers offer it for retail so not really helpful.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Excuse me for not reading all 455 pages here but is there any dealer that'll offer a DWM at a discount? Both of my closest dealers offer it for retail so not really helpful.
Maggies aren’t discounted but depending on your relationship with your local dealer, they could give 10% which around here covers part of the tax

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I just switched over the .7s to the Magna Risers MK 7 stands. The stands are quality built. The powder coated black paint is top notch. They also come nicely packed in their shipping box. Everything screams quality.

I only had a quick listen, but I have to say they do sound different being straight and not leaning back like they do on their OEM stands. To me the highs are more pronounced and they seem to have better low end. I‘m actually surprised at the amount of bass the .7s are producing. Maybe they’re breaking in?

I’ll take some better pics and post.

Off for more listening. :)

Reactions: sgibson
9081 - 9100 of 9149 Posts