AVS Forum banner

9101 - 9120 of 9149 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
View attachment 3115261 I just switched over the .7s to the Magna Risers MK 7 stands. The stands are quality built. The powder coated black paint is top notch. They also come nicely packed in their shipping box. Everything screams quality.

I only had a quick listen, but I have to say they do sound different being straight and not leaning back like they do on their OEM stands. To me the highs are more pronounced and they seem to have better low end. I‘m actually surprised at the amount of bass the .7s are producing. Maybe they’re breaking in?

I’ll take some better pics and post.

Off for more listening. :) View attachment 3115266
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying the .7s with the new stands. I'm thinking about them for my LRSs.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
May need a tube sleeve to block out some of the RF.

Got noticed risers were ready, sent payment and waiting for tracking number. My guess is Mon or Tues is when I’ll get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
May need a tube sleeve to block out some of the RF.

Got noticed risers were ready, sent payment and waiting for tracking number. My guess is Mon or Tues is when I’ll get them.

Last week, I sent my $25 Deposit for a pair of Magna Riser Airbornes to mount Magnepan LRSs.
Robert's reply about time span:
"...There is currently about a twelve to 14 week time span from the date of deposit until shipping date due to the high volume of orders and fact that the powder coater we use is operating with a skeleton crew and reduced hours. There have also been some metals shortages that can slow things down and sadly several of our materials suppliers have closed their doors and we are seeking alternate sources of supply. Some shippers have also lost incoming supplies- more complications..."

Judging by all the great reviews, they are worth the wait.
Where do they ship from?

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Lakewood, OH US and definitely worth the wait.

Reactions: sgibson

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello maggie lovers

I have a pair og MG12 (also had a pair of 1.7i in the past) and just love them.

But I also have a cat... and it made this.

Now during the pandemic I cannot send it to be properly repaired (the MG, not the cat :p ) so I would like to hear from you guys if is there any way to patch it until our lives get back to normal again ?

Any idea will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Updating, I received a tip that seems to make sense.

Silver Conductive Epoxy. In the specs it says its recommended to fix conductivity issues on flat cables, so I have high hopes.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I replied over on WBF. It should work, as long as the surfaces are clean so the epoxy adheres, but still may be a temporary fix. I've seen it fail in days, probably because I could not get good adhesion, and last for years. I had repaired my original MG-I's a time or two and they were going strong years later when I sold them (yes, I told the buyer). They lasted another 3 or 5 years (about 10 all told) until he flat-out overpowered and blew them badly enough they were not worth repairing. He went ahead and had Magnepan rebuild them at that point, with new membranes.

Aside: He bypassed the fuse with a short (wire), leading to catastrophic failure. That popular "mod" gave me a lot of business back in the day.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Replacing the last 3 stock power cables in the rack with these. IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3106.JPG IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3108.JPG
The rest are AudioQuest, WireWorld and Shunyata.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thick power cables are a must in our hobby!

As for my risers, either FedEx website is delayed on their update or it’s current. Not sure how they will be delivered EOD if tracking history has them leaving Richfield, OH facility last night 11pm and hasn’t arrived at my local depot/facility yet. I normally get FedEx deliveries mid morning

·
Registered
20 Posts
Placement question: large room 30' by 36' for 3.7i - which I do not yet own :)
Room divides by design into a major volume 24' by 30' plus a minor volume 12' by 30'.
Assuming seating and hang-out spaces in the 24' by 30' space, along the longer 30' axis:
  • How far from the front wall would you place the 3.7's? like 4' or 6' away?
  • Anyone else have a large space and have any tips - or "what not to do" - happy to learn.
  • I would use 1 or 2 subs to supplement and Dirac Live.
  • Amp would be a solid state big power like Halo A21 or similar.
  • Listening is medium-loudness max, but mostly quiet listening while I work or when we have a party - after COVID.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Placement question: large room 30' by 36' for 3.7i - which I do not yet own :)
Room divides by design into a major volume 24' by 30' plus a minor volume 12' by 30'.
Assuming seating and hang-out spaces in the 24' by 30' space, along the longer 30' axis:
  • How far from the front wall would you place the 3.7's? like 4' or 6' away?
  • Anyone else have a large space and have any tips - or "what not to do" - happy to learn.
  • I would use 1 or 2 subs to supplement and Dirac Live.
  • Amp would be a solid state big power like Halo A21 or similar.
  • Listening is medium-loudness max, but mostly quiet listening while I work or when we have a party - after COVID.
Thanks in advance.
For me, I found the distance from the side wall to have more sonic affects (good and bad) if you have any. I found tweeters on the outside too close to the side wall sound better with the tweeters in. This is if you have at least 3ft pulled out from the back wall.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
For me, I found the distance from the side wall to have more sonic affects (good and bad) if you have any. I found tweeters on the outside too close to the side wall sound better with the tweeters in. This is if you have at least 3ft pulled out from the back wall.

I've tried with tweeters out and went right back to tweets in, and I'm about 6' to 7' out from the front wall. Remarkably, they're still where I first placed them. That sure doesn't happen with dipoles very often. They weren't nearly as picky about placement as the ESLs, Fartin Logans.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
If you toe in, as most do, having the tweeters in provides better time alignment with the bass section at the listening position. Unless you are very far away, it also provides a better image IMO, with the upper frequencies better balanced and centered vs. a bit of "hole in the middle" or exaggerated sense of stereo.

I prefer as far from the back wall as possible, or damped back wall, to mitigate comb filter effects from the reflected wave. Those mess up the image and tonal balance, driving me nuts. It's a short drive.

Distance from side walls is normally not critical because they are pretty directional above the bass, beaming straight at the listener. Close to the side walls can accentuate the bass a bit, and block some of the rear wave from reflecting off the walls, which may improve imaging but reduce "spaciousness". I favor imaging and tonality over "spaciousness", preferring to live with the sound field on the recording and not have the room be such a large factor, but YMMV.

FWIWFM - Don

9101 - 9120 of 9149 Posts