AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 5218 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I just bought this receiver yesterday, and it is much nicer and more advanced than the pioneer elite it is replacing. It is my first time using Audyssey as well. The pioneer didn't allow me to set separate xcovers for the speakers, much less this amount of control over the sub. Audyssey correctly set all my speakers too small, with the the xover around 100. But it set the xover at 120 for my sub, and everything is very "boomy". There is tons of bass with everything, it almost sounds like the sub never turns off. I though I read something about setting the xover for the sub at 80, but I wanted your input to see if this is correct. I have the definitive technology 600 series, with the 1000 series center. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Question about the MEDIA LIBRARY.

I have been copying my CDs to a network drive for some time, so I could play them using netowrk media library on SR5008.

However, for some reason, the files are not there the moment I copy them. The folders usually start turning up after a few hours and sometimes even not befor the next day.

Is there an opton to refresh or update the media library when the new files are added? Could this be router or hard drive related?

·
Premium Member
88,507 Posts
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I just bought this receiver yesterday, and it is much nicer and more advanced than the pioneer elite it is replacing. It is my first time using Audyssey as well. The pioneer didn't allow me to set separate xcovers for the speakers, much less this amount of control over the sub. Audyssey correctly set all my speakers too small, with the the xover around 100. But it set the xover at 120 for my sub, and everything is very "boomy". There is tons of bass with everything, it almost sounds like the sub never turns off. I though I read something about setting the xover for the sub at 80, but I wanted your input to see if this is correct. I have the definitive technology 600 series, with the 1000 series center. Thanks!
The LPF for LFE for the sub factory defaults to 120Hz and should be left there to allow the full LFE signal to pass to the sub. If you prefer setting it to 80Hz do so, however, doing so has no impact on the speaker crossover settings. After running Audyssey, most feel the sub is too weak, however, if you prefer to lower the volume, you can do so using the Manual Setup - Test Tone - Subwoofer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The LPF for LFE for the sub factory defaults to 120Hz and should be left there to allow the full LFE signal to pass to the sub. If you prefer setting it to 80Hz do so, however, doing so has no impact on the speaker crossover settings. After running Audyssey, most feel the sub is too weak, however, if you prefer to lower the volume, you can do so using the Manual Setup - Test Tone - Subwoofer Level Adjust.
Thanks JD. I will try playing around with the settings.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,939 Posts
Thanks JD. I will try playing around with the settings.
A couple of other things you could experiment with are Dynamic EQ on or off, and Audyssey versus Audyssey Flat. Dynamic EQ sounds boomy to some people, particularly with music. And Audyssey Flat can also help in some room/system combinations. The Audyssey FAQ, linked below, has some great information which will help you get the most from Audyssey.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A couple of other things you could experiment with are Dynamic EQ on or off, and Audyssey versus Audyssey Flat. Dynamic EQ sounds boomy to some people, particularly with music. And Audyssey Flat can also help in some room/system combinations. The Audyssey FAQ, linked below, has some great information which will help you get the most from Audyssey.
Thanks for the information! There is always just so much bass, even during normal dialogue, the sub is constantly going. With my old receiver it would only kick on the sub at certain times. Now with the marantz it is constant.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Thanks for the information! There is always just so much bass, even during normal dialogue, the sub is constantly going. With my old receiver it would only kick on the sub at certain times. Now with the marantz it is constant.
bmock17,

Would like to check with you on your current setup. Basic room dimensions including front to back, side to side floor to ceiling lengths in feet.

How far away is the front sound stage from the Main Listening Position (MLP)? Are you flexible in moving around the MLP / sound stage to get the best imaging?

You had previously mentioned that the fronts are Def Tech PM600 with PMC1000 as the center. What about the make and model of your sub? Have you carried out a sub crawl yet to determine a few good locations to place the sub in the room? JDsmoothie has put together a good FAQ in the Denon thread which you'll find useful here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1531868-official-2014-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html#post24721978. Look for the sub crawl video by Axiom Audio.

Once you have the basic front sound stage to give the best imaging and the sub placed in the right location for smooth bass, re-run Audyssey to correct for the rest of the room and check that the splice between the sub and satellites is smooth.

Wasn't sure which model of the Marantz you had? The SR5008/SR6008 is with a lower end Audyssey XT while the SR7008 has the preferred Audyssey XT32. Audyssey XT32 will do a much better job of correcting the sub bass frequencies. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
It was at +7 but I lowered it to +5, it sounds better now.
That seems really hot. When I've run Audyssey on mine, my sub usually comes in around -3 or so. I then turn it up to around -1 to get a little more bass as the first setting isn't enough. Out of the 15 times I've run the calibration, I've never had a + number.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Marantz SR6008 and DSD

Hi,

anybody knows can I and how listen to DSD files on Marantz?
In specification it is stated that marantz will receive DSD via HDMI, not really sure what that means... Can I use my HTPC which is connected to marantz via HDMI to play dsd? On HTPC I Have windows 8 -what player to use?

Is there any way that I use marantz builtin player to play DSD files. Usually I use my NAS with flac files and via network I play them on marantz.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Hi,

anybody knows can I and how listen to DSD files on Marantz?
In specification it is stated that marantz will receive DSD via HDMI, not really sure what that means... Can I use my HTPC which is connected to marantz via HDMI to play dsd? On HTPC I Have windows 8 -what player to use?

Is there any way that I use marantz builtin player to play DSD files. Usually I use my NAS with flac files and via network I play them on marantz.

Thanks!
Hi John1788,

The simplest way is to have your blu-ray player set to bit stream to the Marantz AVR. Grab an SACD and play it on your blu-ray or if your blu-ray player supports USB/network access to your files - use that instead. When using the shinny disc, the DSD files on the SACD will be sent directly to the Marantz and you can press the info button to check on screen the incoming signal as well as which speakers are active.

If your DSD files are on your PC/NAS and you want to stream directly, note that Marantz AVR will only support stereo (not multi-channel) for streaming or USB connection.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That seems really hot. When I've run Audyssey on mine, my sub usually comes in around -3 or so. I then turn it up to around -1 to get a little more bass as the first setting isn't enough. Out of the 15 times I've run the calibration, I've never had a + number.
I don't know what to say or why it came out that way. I moved everything around earlier today but haven't had time to re-run Audyssey. I moved the sub from the back of the room to the front so maybe that will make a difference.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks mthomas; I changed to Audyssey flat and I like the sound much better. I moved the sub from the back to the front of my room earlier but haven't had a chance to rerun Audyssey. We will see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try doing a Network reset (similar to microprocessor reset but instead hold down Preset CH+/Preset CH - buttons while powering on AVR). This will erase all settings so you'll want to do a memory backup first (p. 123 Owner's manual) or you can use a previously saved config file using the Web Control LOAD feature (p. 121 Owner's manual).
i sent the unit back to dealer, the technician help to reset, but problem still persist. No choice already, have to send back to service center for further check.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi John1788,

The simplest way is to have your blu-ray player set to bit stream to the Marantz AVR. Grab an SACD and play it on your blu-ray or if your blu-ray player supports USB/network access to your files - use that instead. When using the shinny disc, the DSD files on the SACD will be sent directly to the Marantz and you can press the info button to check on screen the incoming signal as well as which speakers are active.

If your DSD files are on your PC/NAS and you want to stream directly, note that Marantz AVR will only support stereo (not multi-channel) for streaming or USB connection.
On my NAS I have files in .dsf format, but marantz won't play them.
I have tried several different files and non of them will play...

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
On my NAS I have files in .dsf format, but marantz won't play them.
I have tried several different files and non of them will play...
Hi John1788,

I just had a look at the SR6008 manual and there is no support for .dsf files.:( There is only support for SACD, which means it has to go through the blu-ray player and to the SR6008 via HDMI. Apologies if I've given you the wrong info as I was looking at the SR6009 manual.

In order to play your multi-channel .dsf files sitting on the NAS, you would need to convert the .dsf files into LPCM through a media server software and this would allow you to stream to the SR6008. Be sure to select MULTI-CHANNEL as the surround format.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi John1788,

I just had a look at the SR6008 manual and there is no support for .dsf files.:( There is only support for SACD, which means it has to go through the blu-ray player and to the SR6008 via HDMI. Apologies if I've given you the wrong info as I was looking at the SR6009 manual.

In order to play your multi-channel .dsf files sitting on the NAS, you would need to convert the .dsf files into LPCM through a media server software and this would allow you to stream to the SR6008. Be sure to select MULTI-CHANNEL as the surround format.

Thanks, I will look into that.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,939 Posts
Thanks mthomas; I changed to Audyssey flat and I like the sound much better. I moved the sub from the back to the front of my room earlier but haven't had a chance to rerun Audyssey. We will see if that makes a difference.
You are very welcome. I am glad that worked for you. I like Flat better too, for my room/speaker combination. If you get a chance, you might consider doing some kind of sub-crawl before you run Audyssey again. Sometimes moving the sub just a few inches in one direction or another can make an audible difference. If you already like the sound better since moving it to the front of the room, you might not want to invest a lot more time, so it depends a lot on whether you get lucky with your initial placement.

3441 - 3460 of 5218 Posts