AVS Forum banner

4761 - 4780 of 5219 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 7008 had a similar issue that lasted for several months, but it would work again once I unplugged the unit for at least 30 seconds. I fixed the problem for good by putting it on a static IP address and turning off the dns on the unit.
I sent the unit to a regional center for service. They told me that the network card needed to be replaced, but it was discontinued. Marantz sent me a refurbished sr5009 as a replacement within one week. I think Marantz did a good job in resolving my issue promptly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Marantz SR5008 Hiss & Static noise.

Hi All,
I am having strange issue, i have SR5008 about 2 year old now, suddenly from last week it started having Hiss, and static noise. When i start receiver i can hear very low hiss, but as it runs like withien 30 mins or so, it starts to making noise from all speakers. i dont understand what is the issue, i tried factory reset, also updated firmware. but no luck.

Ive sent to repair shop, after it came run well for 2 days again started to make same noise.

Any one has any sort of issue? What is the solution if any one faced it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
I am having strange issue, i have SR5008 about 2 year old now, suddenly from last week it started having Hiss, and static noise. When i start receiver i can hear very low hiss, but as it runs like withien 30 mins or so, it starts to making noise from all speakers. i dont understand what is the issue, i tried factory reset, also updated firmware. but no luck.

Ive sent to repair shop, after it came run well for 2 days again started to make same noise.

Any one has any sort of issue? What is the solution if any one faced it.

Thank you.
Same here. I've waded through this thread and unfortunately this SR5008 has continued to let me down. I've already sent it into service in the past for an HDMI issue. The popping when powered ON started a few months ago and I just dealt with it, thinking " so what else is new?!"
About a week ago the "hissing/digital sounding pop??" started slowly and maintains itself even while switching to different sources. There was an update recently and I pushed that just for fun, knowing it likely wouldn't fix my issue. Leaving it powered off for about 20 min. and back on has brought it back to normal for a few hours.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Marantz sr7008 - Where to headphone amp?

Hi,

I'm a moderate headphone fan, and have been using headphones connected to the headphone output on the front of the receiver. I bought a dedicated headphone amp the other day - a Graham Slee Novo - but can't seem to get it working with the Marantz sr7008. I hooked it up to one of the pre out outputs (audio out / media player) at the back, but can't seem to find how to get the signal to go through the headphone amp and to the headphones.

Have I connected it to the wrong ouput, or is there a special button or combination of buttons on the receiver's remote? Or may be the receiver isn't supposed to work with a separate headphone amp at all?

Appreciate any suggestions.

best,
Dog's dinner:frown:

·
Premium Member
88,565 Posts
Hi,

I'm a moderate headphone fan, and have been using headphones connected to the headphone output on the front of the receiver. I bought a dedicated headphone amp the other day - a Graham Slee Novo - but can't seem to get it working with the Marantz sr7008. I hooked it up to one of the pre out outputs (audio out / media player) at the back, but can't seem to find how to get the signal to go through the headphone amp and to the headphones.

Have I connected it to the wrong ouput, or is there a special button or combination of buttons on the receiver's remote? Or may be the receiver isn't supposed to work with a separate headphone amp at all?

Appreciate any suggestions.

best,
Dog's dinner:frown:
You would have to have an analog source playing in order for it to pass through the analog audio outputs; however, if you have the headphone amp connected to the FL/FR main zone pre-outs, you should be good to go with any source.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You would have to have an analog source playing in order for it to pass through the analog audio outputs; however, if you have the headphone amp connected to the FL/FR main zone pre-outs, you should be good to go with any source.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'll let you know.

Best
Dog's dinner

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi JD,
I have had the SR7008 for a couple of years now. I have used Audyssey to carefully setup my system and love the way it is configured now. I've recently read that boosting the rear channels of your amp a few dbs (or lowering the LFC a few dbs to make sure you don't overdrive the amp) when playing the new Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 5.1 blu-ray has improved the surround sound mix / experience for many listeners. I would like to try this but when I started looking at the speaker settings, I was afraid that I was about to loose my current good settings. Is there an easy way to adjust the speaker levels manually for a session, and then change them back to my current settings?

Thank you for your help!

David

·
Premium Member
88,565 Posts
Hi JD,
I have had the SR7008 for a couple of years now. I have used Audyssey to carefully setup my system and love the way it is configured now. I've recently read that boosting the rear channels of your amp a few dbs (or lowering the LFC a few dbs to make sure you don't overdrive the amp) when playing the new Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 5.1 blu-ray has improved the surround sound mix / experience for many listeners. I would like to try this but when I started looking at the speaker settings, I was afraid that I was about to loose my current good settings. Is there an easy way to adjust the speaker levels manually for a session, and then change them back to my current settings?

Thank you for your help!

David
Yes. You can return to the original Audyssey settings by simply selecting Audyssey Setup - Restore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. You can return to the original Audyssey settings by simply selecting Audyssey Setup - Restore.
JD,
Thank you for your quick reply. It has been a long time since I've setup the Audyssey settings, and have made many tweaks to Dialog level and Subwoofer Levels etc...over time. I think it may be safer using the "Dual backup memory function" to save all of my settings and tweaks vs Audyssey Setup - Restore. Does that sound right?

And in any case, where do I go to change the individual speaker levels? When I was poking around in the Setup menus, every place I looked seemed to want to start a new speaker setup vs adjusting the current speaker levels.

Under Settings\Manual Setup pg 192, the manual states "If you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey® Setup, it will not be possible to select Audyssey MultEQ® XT32"...does this mean that I won't be using Audyssey MultEQ if I boost the rear channels for playback?
The manual continues on to say "“Manual Setup” can be used without changing the settings. Please set if necessary."

Thank you for your help JD!

·
Premium Member
88,565 Posts
JD,
Thank you for your quick reply. It has been a long time since I've setup the Audyssey settings, and have made many tweaks to Dialog level and Subwoofer Levels etc...over time. I think it may be safer using the "Dual backup memory function" to save all of my settings and tweaks vs Audyssey Setup - Restore. Does that sound right?

And in any case, where do I go to change the individual speaker levels? When I was poking around in the Setup menus, every place I looked seemed to want to start a new speaker setup vs adjusting the current speaker levels.

Under Settings\Manual Setup pg 192, the manual states "If you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey® Setup, it will not be possible to select Audyssey MultEQ® XT32"...does this mean that I won't be using Audyssey MultEQ if I boost the rear channels for playback?
The manual continues on to say "“Manual Setup” can be used without changing the settings. Please set if necessary."

1. Yes.
2. Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - (speaker/sub)
3. Poor wording indeed, but no, you won't lose Audyssey by adjusting speaker/sub volume levels.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
JD,

David,

Do you an spl meter? If not, radioshack has some cheap digital or analog options, and this will help you set the db of each speaker if you aren't satisfied with the audyssey results in your surrounds. You should go into your speaker levels and verify, with your spl meter, that each speaker is at the same level, and if you want a slight boost in the surrounds, raise about a half db over your mains. You don't want to go too far, otherwise, your overall soundstage could be vastly impacted.

Reactions: Aardvark7rules

·
Premium Member
88,565 Posts
David,

Do you an spl meter? If not, radioshack has some cheap digital or analog options, and this will help you set the db of each speaker if you aren't satisfied with the audyssey results in your surrounds. You should go into your speaker levels and verify, with your spl meter, that each speaker is at the same level, and if you want a slight boost in the surrounds, raise about a half db over your mains. You don't want to go too far, otherwise, your overall soundstage could be vastly impacted.
Keeping in mind that the AVR test tones are not processed by Audyssey so may not provide accurate 75db when using an SPL meter, rather much better to use a calibrated tone disc (eg. Spears and Munsil) which will be processed by Audyssey, otherwise, you're simply just setting the volume level of the speakers to suit your preference rather than what would be heard when listening to audio with Audyssey enabled.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Keeping in mind that the AVR test tones are not processed by Audyssey so may not provide accurate 75db when using an SPL meter, rather much better to use a calibrated tone disc (eg. Spears and Munsil) which will be processed by Audyssey, otherwise, you're simply just setting the volume level of the speakers to suit your preference rather than what would be heard when listening to audio with Audyssey enabled.
Good point. Using new then AVR test tones at reference volume on my system produces about 71 do per speaker. As you mentioned, the reference volume set by audyssey is at 75 dab. I just use the test tones on the avr as a reference point per speaker. A calibration disc is a better option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi jdsmoothie,

I finally got round to switching the RCA cables from the the audio out output to the FL/FR main zone pre-outs as you suggested. That got the headphones working (yeah!), but, the loudspeakers are playing as well, which sort of defeats the purpose. I suppose the receiver isn't built to act as a headphone amp pre out. Think I might try using my Minix neo U1 as a source. Just have to find an adapter for the RCA plugs.

Chris

·
Premium Member
88,565 Posts
Hi jdsmoothie,

I finally got round to switching the RCA cables from the the audio out output to the FL/FR main zone pre-outs as you suggested. That got the headphones working (yeah!), but, the loudspeakers are playing as well, which sort of defeats the purpose. I suppose the receiver isn't built to act as a headphone amp pre out. Think I might try using my Minix neo U1 as a source. Just have to find an adapter for the RCA plugs.

Chris
Another option that would not activate the main zone speakers would be using the Zone 2 or 3 pre-outs, although then limited to non-HDMI 2CH stereo from the source (ie. optical, digital coax, analog).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, the zone solution worked very well. It's a bit fiddly changing between zones and the main speakers, but I got the hang of it in the end more or less. I'd plugged the headphone amp into the zone 2 sockets. Funny thing is, though, the main loudspeakers continue to play, albeit at a very low and non-adjustable volume. The difference in sensitivity between my Grado SR-325is's and AKG K701s is enormous. AKGs are obviously harder to run than the Grados, because the volume had to be turned up many notches.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance and tips. Been a great help!

Chris:)

·
Premium Member
88,565 Posts
Well, the zone solution worked very well. It's a bit fiddly changing between zones and the main speakers, but I got the hang of it in the end more or less. I'd plugged the headphone amp into the zone 2 sockets. Funny thing is, though, the main loudspeakers continue to play, albeit at a very low and non-adjustable volume. The difference in sensitivity between my Grado SR-325is's and AKG K701s is enormous. AKGs are obviously harder to run than the Grados, because the volume had to be turned up many notches.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance and tips. Been a great help!

Chris:)
The main zone can be muted or actually doesn't have to be on at all (unless using Spotify or Airplay).

·
Registered
31 Posts
The main zone can be muted or actually doesn't have to be on at all (unless using Spotify or Airplay).
Thanks. Just discovered how to mute the main speakers. I'll have to study the manual about which buttons to press in which sequence. My current method is like ghe monkey writing Hamlet - you get there eventually even if you don't know how.

Still, I'm sitting here enjoying a bit of Handel on the Grados, which between you, me and the gatepost I think were overtaxed by the previous owner. I've only had them a week, but there are tell tale distortions whenever the music approaches half volume and high notes.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. Yes.
2. Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - (speaker/sub)
3. Poor wording indeed, but no, you won't lose Audyssey by adjusting speaker/sub volume levels.

Hi JD,
1. I used the dual backup memory function and also remembered an earlier discussion using the web interface to perform a system backup so I also backed up the settings to a file on my computer.
2. I was able to adjust the speaker levels as desired thru Manual Setup - Levels as advised. When I entered this menu earlier and saw the Test Tones heading, I incorrectly thought it was a new manual speaker setup... This worked great for me.

BTW, Sgt. Peppers did sound much better to my ears with the higher rear levels in relation to the LCR and sub.

Tom Riddle,
Hi there. I do have an inexpensive SPL meter I bought from Radio Shack a few years ago and I've read the follow up posts concerning the test tones. I have the test disk mentioned and may try for fun to see how the SPL meter results compare relative to the Audyssey configuration results. I have to say, the last time I ran Audyssey and configured my speakers, I got the best, almost magical sound balanced around my seating position. Just outstanding sound, and have not touched the configuration in years now. I have changed out my TV and a small chair in the room but have held off re-running Audyssey until a few more upcoming changes in the furniture are complete.

Thank you all for your help! As always, this is a great forum full of knowledgeable, helpful people!

David

4761 - 4780 of 5219 Posts