AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2741 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marantz SR7005

When a streaming device of connected to marantz the output is flickering with a grainy screen that doesn’t go away. I have changed hdmi cables, there power outlet and used Roku, Fire stick and fire cube none work. I connected my laptop and it works, connecting to the projector directly also works. Anyone faced this issue and can help?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
When a streaming device of connected to marantz the output is flickering with a grainy screen that doesn’t go away. I have changed hdmi cables, there power outlet and used Roku, Fire stick and fire cube none work. I connected my laptop and it works, connecting to the projector directly also works. Anyone faced this issue and can help?
The SR7005 is pre-HDCP 2.2 as well as unable to pass a 4k video signal.

·
Registered
367 Posts
DAC question

I'm thinking of connecting a streamer/server to my SR7005. It has a HDMI out. If I connected it to one of the HDMI inputs( 1-5) , will I utilize the internal DAC? Also what if highest Rez files it can process? 192/24? TIA

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
DAC question

I'm thinking of connecting a streamer/server to my SR7005. It has a HDMI out. If I connected it to one of the HDMI inputs( 1-5) , will I utilize the internal DAC? Also what if highest Rez files it can process? 192/24? TIA
1. Yes.
2. High resolution audio (24/96k and 24/192k) is down sampled to 24/48k (no indication on front panel display) prior to using Audyssey on all Audyssey models as it requires additional DSP processing beyond capability of the AVR.

·
Registered
367 Posts
1. Yes.
2. High resolution audio (24/96k and 24/192k) is down sampled to 24/48k (no indication on front panel display) prior to using Audyssey on all Audyssey models as it requires additional DSP processing beyond capability of the AVR.
Thanks. A little confused. So are you saying that it will read up to 24/192 but when im listening its only 24/48? So no HiRez?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Forgive the lateness of my reply... but thanks!! Looks like this is my first time checking these forums in several years :laugh:

I am now looking to do something that might be possible, but I'm having a hard time finding a solid answer online. I would like to be able to play video on one source, let's say my PlayStation 4 on HDMI2... while playing audio from a different source, let's say my media server PC on HDMI5. Is this possible? Or if not, is there another combination of inputs that would work? I could reconfigure some things, but the main constant is that the video source would be HDMI.

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Forgive the lateness of my reply... but thanks!! Looks like this is my first time checking these forums in several years :laugh:

I am now looking to do something that might be possible, but I'm having a hard time finding a solid answer online. I would like to be able to play video on one source, let's say my PlayStation 4 on HDMI2... while playing audio from a different source, let's say my media server PC on HDMI5. Is this possible? Or if not, is there another combination of inputs that would work? I could reconfigure some things, but the main constant is that the video source would be HDMI.
It's not possible to play an HDMI video source while listening to another HDMI audio source (even on today's models); however, there are a couple of options available:

(1) You can use the "Video Select" feature (unfortunately the setting is not listed in the Owner's manual other than a one line reference to it so you'll have to look for it). While a network, USB, or AM/FM Tuner audio source is playing, the Video Select feature can be enabled and then will allow you to select an HDMI input for the video source.

(2) As long as the audio source is optical/digital coax/analog and has the same source name (or is the only optical/digital coax source) as the HDMI input, you can change the INPUT MODE (p. 73 Owner's manual) to either "Digital, Analog, or 7.1CH IN" as appropriate).

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's not possible to play an HDMI video source while listening to another HDMI audio source (even on today's models); however, there are a couple of options available:

(1) You can use the "Video Select" feature (unfortunately the setting is not listed in the Owner's manual other than a one line reference to it so you'll have to look for it). While a network, USB, or AM/FM Tuner audio source is playing, the Video Select feature can be enabled and then will allow you to select an HDMI input for the video source.

(2) As long as the audio source is optical/digital coax/analog and has the same source name (or is the only optical/digital coax source) as the HDMI input, you can change the INPUT MODE (p. 73 Owner's manual) to either "Digital, Analog, or 7.1CH IN" as appropriate).
Okay, very good to know thank you!! I have an RX101, any chance this would work on the Bluetooth input as well?

I gave this a shot using the HD Radio input, but I just get a black screen with the menu when I select my active game console over Video Select. Are there any other options I would need to set, maybe on the video source input itself?

edit: checking the manual and the wording makes it sound like this can't be done with HDMI as the video source either??

Marantz SR7005 manual said:
NOTE
It is not possible to select HDMI input signals.
• Input sources for which “Delete” is selected
at “Source Delete” (vpage 86) cannot be
selected.
• This can also be set by pressing V.SEL on the
remote control unit.
If this is the case I may have to look into other options to get alternative audio while using an HDMI video game console... possibly some sort of 4x2 HDMI switch that acts as a "bypass" for the receiver... one HDMI ouput to receiver and one straight into TV... hopefully with no compromises in fidelity!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Zones 2 and 3 Audio Out

I had to sideline my Marantz SR7005 when I had a new 4k Monitor installed in my Master Bedroom last Christmas & it appears as though the SR7005 is not 4k compatible.
I have found a new use for it, though. I am having pairs of speakers installed in my garage & outside on my deck. My plan is to feed left & right analog audio from my living room home theater AVR to the SR7005, which will be located in the basement. I had not used the Zones 2 and 3 audios in my previous installations, as I had the AVR set up for 5.1 home theater audio. I downloaded the Marantz app onto my iPhone. It found my SR7005 and it looks like I would be able to control power on/off, and all 3 zones on/off/volume.
I'm looking through the SR7005 User Guide & I am confused. Looking at the drawing on page 63 for "Zone Playback by Speaker Output" (in all 3 languages - English / French / Spanish), it shows both Zone 2 and Zone 3 speakers hooked up to the "Surr. Back / Amp Assign". Is this correct? How do you differentiate between Zones 2 & 3 in this hookup? Shouldn't Zone 2 be hooked up to "Surround" and Zone 3 hooked up to "Surr. Back / Amp Assign"?
Since I will still have the Main Zone (Zone 1) available, I'm thinking of adding a pair of speakers in the basement also (where the SR7005 will be located). Since the basement is currently unfinished (and will be for a while - I've spent enough on the house in the 2 years I've owned it between finishing the garage, adding a back deck, and landscaping), I'm looking for speakers that will probably be "temporary". I have a pair of Ohm C3 speakers, but when I tried them after my move out here, they sounded terrible. It looks like the drivers will have to be replaced. I don't know if it would be cost effective to have the drivers replaced in my Ohm C3's.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
I had to sideline my Marantz SR7005 when I had a new 4k Monitor installed in my Master Bedroom last Christmas & it appears as though the SR7005 is not 4k compatible.
I have found a new use for it, though. I am having pairs of speakers installed in my garage & outside on my deck. My plan is to feed left & right analog audio from my living room home theater AVR to the SR7005, which will be located in the basement. I had not used the Zones 2 and 3 audios in my previous installations, as I had the AVR set up for 5.1 home theater audio. I downloaded the Marantz app onto my iPhone. It found my SR7005 and it looks like I would be able to control power on/off, and all 3 zones on/off/volume.
I'm looking through the SR7005 User Guide & I am confused. Looking at the drawing on page 63 for "Zone Playback by Speaker Output" (in all 3 languages - English / French / Spanish), it shows both Zone 2 and Zone 3 speakers hooked up to the "Surr. Back / Amp Assign". Is this correct? How do you differentiate between Zones 2 & 3 in this hookup? Shouldn't Zone 2 be hooked up to "Surround" and Zone 3 hooked up to "Surr. Back / Amp Assign"?
Since I will still have the Main Zone (Zone 1) available, I'm thinking of adding a pair of speakers in the basement also (where the SR7005 will be located). Since the basement is currently unfinished (and will be for a while - I've spent enough on the house in the 2 years I've owned it between finishing the garage, adding a back deck, and landscaping), I'm looking for speakers that will probably be "temporary". I have a pair of Ohm C3 speakers, but when I tried them after my move out here, they sounded terrible. It looks like the drivers will have to be replaced. I don't know if it would be cost effective to have the drivers replaced in my Ohm C3's.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Mark
As noted on p. 54 of the Owner's manual, AMP ASSIGN can be set to either "Zone 2" or "Zone 3" with the speakers connected to the SURROUND BACK speaker posts. Unlike the newer 9CH models that are able to power both Zone 2 and Zone 3 speakers (ie. 5.1+Zone 2 + Zone 3), the SR7005 can only power one additional zone (ie. 5.1 + Zone 2/3). You will need to add an external 2CH amp connected to the Zone 2 or Zone 3 pre-outs to power the additional zone if both Zone 2 and Zone 3 are required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: I forgot to test Roku > AudioQuest > HL TV. Roku detects 1080p HDCP 1.4 and can be set but I get HDCP error detected when launching any apps.

It seems like the issue is a combo of the AudioQuest cable + HL TV. I was hoping HDCP would at least be backwards compatible; it's strange Roku detected HDCP 1.4 but still does not work. Hm. I do not get the HDCP error when I connect the Roku directly with a shorter cable. I guess that's 2007 TV tech for ya, HDCP really is terrible!

Hello, I have a strange 1080p issue that is not making much sense. I am stuck at 720p. Here it goes, I'll try to be as clear as possible.

Every device is 1080p compatible.
Every part of the chain works correctly when directly connected. It's the whole chain that does not work.
  • The 1080p sources are the Roku Ultra 4660X2 and a Samsung Blu-ray player.
  • The SR7005 is connected to the TV via a 2007-era AudioQuest Chocolate ~40' HDMI. This cable claims 1080p performance printed on the jacket. I was going to blame this cable, but the tests reveal otherwise.
  • TV is Samsung HL-S7178W (yes this is old 2007 stuff)
  • I have a modern TCL TV I am using as 2nd test display.
Tests:
  1. Roku > Marantz > AudioQuest > HL TV= 1080p does not work (it will flash onscreen for a second then report weak signal)
  2. Blu-ray > Marantz > AudioQuest > HL TV = 1080p does not work (it will flash onscreen for a second then report weak signal)
  3. Roku > HL TV = 1080p works fine, so it's not the HL TV.
  4. Roku > Marantz > TCL TV = 1080p works fine, so it's not the Marantz.
  5. Roku > Marantz > AudioQuest > TCL TV = 1080p works fine, so it's not the AudioQuest cable, nor is it any part of the chain...!
I really don't know what to make of this and where to go from here.

The fact that a brief flash of the source is seen suggests to me it is a data issue, like HDCP or something perhaps, that is getting shut down when it first handshakes ?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
UPDATE: I forgot to test Roku > AudioQuest > HL TV. Roku detects 1080p HDCP 1.4 and can be set but I get HDCP error detected when launching any apps.

It seems like the issue is a combo of the AudioQuest cable + HL TV. I was hoping HDCP would at least be backwards compatible; it's strange Roku detected HDCP 1.4 but still does not work. Hm. I do not get the HDCP error when I connect the Roku directly with a shorter cable. I guess that's 2007 TV tech for ya, HDCP really is terrible!

Hello, I have a strange 1080p issue that is not making much sense. I am stuck at 720p. Here it goes, I'll try to be as clear as possible.

Every device is 1080p compatible.
Every part of the chain works correctly when directly connected. It's the whole chain that does not work.
  • The 1080p sources are the Roku Ultra 4660X2 and a Samsung Blu-ray player.
  • The SR7005 is connected to the TV via a 2007-era AudioQuest Chocolate ~40' HDMI. This cable claims 1080p performance printed on the jacket. I was going to blame this cable, but the tests reveal otherwise.
  • TV is Samsung HL-S7178W (yes this is old 2007 stuff)
  • I have a modern TCL TV I am using as 2nd test display.
Tests:
  1. Roku > Marantz > AudioQuest > HL TV= 1080p does not work (it will flash onscreen for a second then report weak signal)
  2. Blu-ray > Marantz > AudioQuest > HL TV = 1080p does not work (it will flash onscreen for a second then report weak signal)
  3. Roku > HL TV = 1080p works fine, so it's not the HL TV.
  4. Roku > Marantz > TCL TV = 1080p works fine, so it's not the Marantz.
  5. Roku > Marantz > AudioQuest > TCL TV = 1080p works fine, so it's not the AudioQuest cable, nor is it any part of the chain...!
I really don't know what to make of this and where to go from here.

The fact that a brief flash of the source is seen suggests to me it is a data issue, like HDCP or something perhaps, that is getting shut down when it first handshakes ?

Thanks for your help!
A "weak signal" error indicates you would need to either use a shorter HDMI cable or use a 3rd party HDMI extender to strengthen the signal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 7005 for $160 with no remote. What do you all recommend for a 4K hdr tv and 5.2 setup?

I currently have a pc connected with one hdmi to tv and one hdmi to the marantz. The video looks great but would like a higher quality audio source. I'm thinking something like a video streaming device, 4k bluray player or some kind of surround dac to connect to pc. Another option I see is to use the s/pidf output on the tv but not sure it will downgrade the quality or mess with the surround decoding?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Just bought a 7005 for $160 with no remote. What do you all recommend for a 4K hdr tv and 5.2 setup?

I currently have a pc connected with one hdmi to tv and one hdmi to the marantz. The video looks great but would like a higher quality audio source. I'm thinking something like a video streaming device, 4k bluray player or some kind of surround dac to connect to pc. Another option I see is to use the s/pidf output on the tv but not sure it will downgrade the quality or mess with the surround decoding?
As an HDMI 1.4a AVR, the SR7005 would be unable to pass a 4k/HDCP 2.2 signal, rather the 4k source would have to be connected directly to the 4k TV and then using ARC to pass the non-HD audio back to the AVR.

TV recommendation would come from the TV forum and speaker recommendation from the Speakers forum.

2721 - 2740 of 2741 Posts