AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 4682 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's great that you can do this in software alone but it doesn't sound quick or easy to toggle between the two. Possibly too complicated for a macro. Perhaps it's unlikely that I'd be switching back and forth very often?
Sorry, I misread your post. What you are asking cannot be done without redoing connections.

·
Registered
987 Posts
How do you do 9.4.6 with 16 outputs? My math says that takes 19 outputs. So you'd need a MiniDSP to do the full 9.4.6 setup.

If you're doing 7.4.4, then you could, in theory, do it with just the HTP-1. This assumes that Dirac Bass Management works like they claim.

Doesn’t Dirac Bass Management (at least how they have described it in marketing materials) individually calibrate the sub l, but then sum it together for a common signal (best for the whole room) ? In this case you can just plug in yours 4 subs, calibrate them, and then use one output with a splitter to provide the same signal for all 4.

·
Registered
987 Posts
So this seems to be the best processor for the price, BY FAR!!! I was looking at picking up a used Datasat LS10, but this seems like it may sound just as good, for a better price!

The purists will say a Datasat provides far better sound quality and decoding than all of these “budget” sub-$6k 16 channel processors currently hitting the market. I wish I could see a direct A/B comparison with measurements but cannot find any yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Doesn’t Dirac Bass Management (at least how they have described it in marketing materials) individually calibrate the sub l, but then sum it together for a common signal (best for the whole room) ? In this case you can just plug in yours 4 subs, calibrate them, and then use one output with a splitter to provide the same signal for all 4.
You can't get proper time alignment for 4 subs with 1 delay setting, which is what you'd end up with by doing what you suggest.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The purists will say a Datasat provides far better sound quality and decoding than all of these “budget” sub-$6k 16 channel processors currently hitting the market. I wish I could see a direct A/B comparison with measurements but cannot find any yet.

Those purists are wrong. The Datasat may offer some flexibility over the Monolith, but it does not offer better sound quality.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Those purists are wrong. The Datasat may offer some flexibility over the Monolith, but it does not offer better sound quality.

Jeff
I am also wondering if there is really a difference between the capabilities of the 15 channel Datasat vs the 16 Channel Monoprice (which obviously has 1 additional channel). Does that even matter?

·
Registered
987 Posts

Jeff

You may be right but I don’t think you can be certain of this unless a blinded AB comparison is made. The DAC, decoder and supporting electronics are higher quality with Datasat (the main reason it is 3x the cost) which very likely could translate into better audio quality.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You may be right but I don’t think you can be certain of this unless a blinded AB comparison is made. The DAC, decoder and supporting electronics are higher quality with Datasat (the main reason it is 3x the cost) which very likely could translate into better audio quality.

The Datasat is essentially a 10-year old design that uses multiple Sharc DSP chips to accomplish less than the Monoprice can do with a single TI chip. Plus much of the Datasat's high price was margin for the distribution chain. The Monolith uses newer, better and less expensive silicon and sells consumer direct. The change in distribution alone cuts the price in half.

Jeff

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
"Tier 1 allows management of any number of subwoofers, analyzing each one to create a single-optimized sub channel that drives each subwoofer. It also enables precise control of frequency cutoffs for all speakers. Tier 2 offers advanced setup for a single subwoofer, while also providing control over parameters and applying frequency filters to all speakers based on measurements. Tier 3 is a free module for all current Dirac Live customers and OEMs, permitting standard bass management with the added benefit of predictive results."

https://www.dirac.com/news/dirac-live-bass-management-ces2019

·
Registered
987 Posts
The Datasat is essentially a 10-year old design that uses multiple Sharc DSP chips to accomplish less than the Monoprice can do with a single TI chip. Plus much of the Datasat's high price was margin for the distribution chain. The Monolith uses newer, better and less expensive silicon and sells consumer direct. The change in distribution alone cuts the price in half.

Jeff

What about all the other non-DSP components ? Like the opamps , power supply etc.

·
Registered
987 Posts
"Tier 1 allows management of any number of subwoofers, analyzing each one to create a single-optimized sub channel that drives each subwoofer. It also enables precise control of frequency cutoffs for all speakers. Tier 2 offers advanced setup for a single subwoofer, while also providing control over parameters and applying frequency filters to all speakers based on measurements. Tier 3 is a free module for all current Dirac Live customers and OEMs, permitting standard bass management with the added benefit of predictive results."

https://www.dirac.com/news/dirac-live-bass-management-ces2019

So it sounds like Tier 1 (and 3) do not adjust the time domains individually for each sub. So with these tiers you can use 4 channels to calibrate then switch back to one channel with a splitter for all 4 subs using the “simple optimized sub channel”.

Will this be as effective as a MiniDSP that will also adjust individual sub delays?

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
So it sounds like Tier 1 (and 3) do not adjust the time domains individually for each sub. So with these tiers you can use 4 channels to calibrate then switch back to one channel with a splitter for all 4 subs using the “simple optimized sub channel”.

Will this be as effective as a MiniDSP that will also adjust individual sub delays?
Tier 1 means equalization of each single subwoofer channel for optimized combined response.

·
Registered
731 Posts
There is a lot of confusion between sound quality of Datasat RS20i and HTP-1. While I have never listened to HTP-1 but I have RS20i in my system and I had Emotiva RMC-1 in my system for a while. I can assume the sound quality of RMC-1 is the same as HTP-1 based on many readings. I don't want to through any dirt on anyone's pot here but just clearing the cloud. The difference between RS20i and RMC-1 in my system was day and night. I compared them by plugging and unplugging some cables (not instant AB switching) with all other equipment the same. RS20i is unbelievably good and amazing. There was no question to return RMC-1.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Jeff
There is a lot of confusion between sound quality of Datasat RS20i and HTP-1. While I have never listened to HTP-1 but I have RS20i in my system and I had Emotiva RMC-1 in my system for a while. I can assume the sound quality of RMC-1 is the same as HTP-1 based on many readings. I don't want to through any dirt on anyone's pot here but just clearing the cloud. The difference between RS20i and RMC-1 in my system was day and night. I compared them by plugging and unplugging some cables (not instant AB switching) with all other equipment the same. RS20i is unbelievably good and amazing. There was no question to return RMC-1.
So what makes them different, other than the fact that the monoprice uses newer technology? In that case, would it be fair to say the monoprice is more similar to the Trinnov 16?

Also, i was looking for a more direct comparison to the Datasat LS10 (since the price and capabilities seem to be more comparable) :confused::confused:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Theres no confusion.... Unless it's a blind A/B, it's just for fun. Not being a blind test, it's about as scientific as spinning around in a circle and point to the one you like best lol
In the end our own bias is the difference, which is why it has to be blind if I'm making any kind of absolute statment.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Theres no confusion.... Unless it's a blind A/B, it's just for fun. Not being a blind test, it's about as scientific as spinning around in a circle and point to the one you like best lol
In the end our own bias is the difference, which is why it has to be blind if I'm making any kind of absolute statment.

I have heard a several people comment that the sound quality of Datasat blows away the lower priced XMC-1 and HTp-1. You are right that bias can play a role. I would love to see objective measurements OR blinded tests that prove this !

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
The difference between RS20i and RMC-1 in my system was day and night.
These kind of statements make me want to completely ignore the person saying it. To me, a night and day difference is similar to saying the sound from one was so terrible it caused pain, and the sound from the other was so great I actually felt physical pleasure just from listening. There has to be a less exaggerated way to say you heard a noticeable difference.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,844 Posts
I have heard a several people comment that the sound quality of Datasat blows away the lower priced XMC-1 and HTp-1. You are right that bias can play a role. I would love to see objective measurements OR blinded tests that prove this !
Not only do I agree with @Jawaburger that hyperbole is not useful, but in your case it’s hearsay, which makes your comment even more forgettable.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I will tell ya, Ive been a part of 3 blind tests and it absolutely changes your opinion on this stuff. You never look at the hobby the same (IMO for the better) cause you just don't get caught up on little crap, that you know doesn't make a difference.

I go for features I'm looking for vs perceived SQ. We were actually talking about this in the JTR thread. We had a few guys bring in their very high end amps (odyseey, bryston etc) and did a blind with some receivers and cheaper amps. We level matched as well as we could and not one could pic out anything properly. My favorite was this older guy who brought the Audyssey mono block, ended up picking pretty much everything else as better ..... hahahaha he picked a cheap receiver as his fav.... His face when the results came is was priceless (only because he has been boasting about his golden ears for years)
It's too bad that group disbanded (we had about 8 years of fun) a few guys died, a few moved and life got in the way I guess. I Still talk regularly with about 6 guys that go to each other's theaters regularly. We are hoping to do a projector shootout next! One guy is a multi millionaire and he's got some serious gear and is getting a altitude 32 system installed once the Carona is settled down.... He also on the hunt for a new projector and said he's gonna have a 600k budget!!!! I can't wait to see what he gets!! Lol must be nice! Ha

2761 - 2780 of 4682 Posts