- individual speaker mute function
- trigger on/off selection for each trigger output
- loudness curve frequency adjustment/change curve to match ISO226:2003
- function/command to reset all PEQ values
- PEQ settings export/import
- input level adjustment
- input delay adjustment
- change tone control bass corner to 40Hz and treble to 8Khz
I understand these and hadn't considered them (would really like to see all these as well):
- trigger on/off selection for each trigger output
- PEQ settings export/import

Could you explain these?
- individual speaker mute function
- function/command to reset all PEQ values
- input level adjustment
- input delay adjustment
- change tone control bass corner to 40Hz and treble to 8Khz

I don't believe the USB input for computer audio has been enabled yet.
Has Monolith stated that they'd consider this?

Can still use HDMI for a computer but connecting through USB also had great benefit.
What is a use-case where USB would be helpful over HDMI?

·
Registered
949 Posts

What is a use-case where USB would be helpful over HDMI?

From the firmware release notes: Answers both of these questions

These features are not yet ready. The are to be enabled by software updates.
USB Audio (USB DAC function) not yet supported.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Could you explain these?
1- individual speaker mute function
2- function/command to reset all PEQ values
3- input level adjustment
4- input delay adjustment
5- change tone control bass corner to 40Hz and treble to 8Khz
I have numbered those, here's explanations:

1 - it would be nice to have a way to mute certain speakers to check the output of just one or several speakers. For example mute all except top speakers or mute all except sub. Logical place would be the speaker setup page, clicking a speaker icon would mute/unmute it, with maybe an extra button to mute/unmute all for fast selection.

2 - Button to reset all values to 0/default. Currently you have to check each 16 bands and scroll thru each speaker to verify that you didn't accidently test something earlier and forget it there and then did a Dirac calibration with the PEQ on...

3&4 -many AVR/AVPs have input level adjustment for each input so you can have all sources playing at the same volume. Same for the delay.

5 - I meant changing the corner adjustment limits of those, not locking tone control to just those two values.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Yes they have, also it would be very strange that they would have a USB input on the back and labeled it "USB Audio" if they never planned on utilizing it. If you have not looked at the back of the unit you may not have seen this, but it is there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From the firmware release notes: Answers both of these questions

These features are not yet ready. The are to be enabled by software updates.
USB Audio (USB DAC function) not yet supported.
I don't see any hints in the release notes what benefits there might be in using USB Audio instead of HDMI. As far as I know, the USB-Audio will be limited to 2 channels, while HDMI already supports 8 channel PCM (and possibly more when the HDMI board upgrade becomes available, but Monolith is probably at Momentun Data System's mercy with that). I think the sampling rates and bit depths supported are essentially the same. So unless a source only supports an USB DAC, but no HDMI out, why would one use USB?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
^
I think the main benefit to a USB audio input is simply for those "computer audiophiles" using a computer as the source... though there are some expensive streamers (like Aurender) that only have USB outputs.

·
Registered
695 Posts
With PC out I'm not confident there would be a significant difference between USB and HDMI out particularly if they are both coming out of the mobo. I'll be using a PC as an output for listening to FLAC. I haven't personally been able to compare yet but I'm eager to be able to compare/contrast.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
So unless a source only supports an USB DAC, but no HDMI out, why would one use USB?

Often if you send audio over HDMI from a Mac (maybe from a generic too; I don’t own one) it goes as 2 channels of sound and 5 or 5.1 channels of blocked silence. NFL Sunday Ticket in a browser is a representative example. If you send the audio over USB you can upmix to all channels without having to manually mess with MIDI HDMI settings. One “input” can be USB and the other HDMI. That does assume that, like Anthem, two inputs can share a video input.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Another benefit of USB audio from the PC is to bypass HDCP handshakes and CEC. I use HDMI from my PC to my non-HTP-1 AVR and often have issues with the handshakes.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Doesn't it already do that?

3&4 -many AVR/AVPs have input level adjustment for each input so you can have all sources playing at the same volume. Same for the delay.
This is an essential aspect of applying loudness compensation. :)

Reactions: DS-21

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Says it does, but the actual curve doesn't look like that.
It should not look like the ISO curves. The EQ needs to represent the delta between the equal loudness curves. And that it does. :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You may wish to choose another metric

I think the relative silence on this thread speaks volumes to how good this processor is. A processor that works this well doesn't require much discussion.

I think the only things anybody is really discussing at this point are wish list features.

Some we are waiting for:
- Dirac Bass Control
- DTS:X Pro
- HDMI 2.1

Some we are wishing for:
- Roon Multi-channel
- Upmixer memory based on both input and codec

Am I missing anything?

...It also works so well that I hope Monolith someday releases a cheaper amplified version as well with just 7-channels of assignable amplification, 13-channels of processing, and just balanced outputs. I personally have a hard time justifying a $4k processor plus amps for a secondary family room setup, but It would be great to have an alternative to a Denon (the only thing that is as stable in my experience).

Thread Posts June 1 - Jun 16

HTP-1 272

JBL-55 250

ARCAM 40 138

Emotiva RMC-1 14

Emotiva EMC-2 12

2020 Denon AVR's (from June 4) - three units - 576 The first units only arrived in their new owner's hands about June 16 and already 576 posts

Do really believe the Denon's have a lot of problems?

Do you believe that the HTP-1 has more problems than the other units listed above?

·
Registered
695 Posts
3801 - 3820 of 4887 Posts