AVS Forum banner

6301 - 6320 of 6810 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
After a few days of playing with my new HTP-1, I have run into a problem that could be a deal killer for me. My HTP-1 will not play a "Short Sine Wave" which I use to measure the frequency response in my room. Yes, I can and do use REW also, but my concern is that the HTP-1 does not have the required performance to play a signal with a sharp "rise time" or high slew rate. Although it is inconvenient not to use my preferred measurement system, it also causes me to think that this could effect the leading edge of some music.

I have attached a pdf of the wave form. I would post the actual .wav file, but it apparently is not allowed here. If you want to try it, please PM me.

As you can see, the rise time of the wave form is pretty extreme, but I have never found another device that will not play it. And I have used it in a couple dozen different systems of my friends and my own.

Anyone else found tracks that unit will not play? I tried contacting Tech Support and they just suggested that I re-boot the unit which of course I have done multiple times. Hopefully they will respond again.

ptruce

Attachments

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Have you tried 1.8.1? When you open History page, bottom of the page should list Linux version. What do you have there?
And you did install via History page? Normal upgrade just installs current release, not preview versions like 1.8 & 1.8.1.
Hi Fury,

I have just tried to update from 1.8.0 to 1.8.1. Although the unti seems to have come back from the update as it is now playing music from Roon, for the last hour it appears to be stuck on the Almost Ready screen. I cannot access thorough its web page.

I am just about ready to turn it off completely and restart it unless you think that I shold wait longer.

ptruce

·
Registered
909 Posts
After a few days of playing with my new HTP-1, I have run into a problem that could be a deal killer for me. My HTP-1 will not play a "Short Sine Wave" which I use to measure the frequency response in my room. Yes, I can and do use REW also, but my concern is that the HTP-1 does not have the required performance to play a signal with a sharp "rise time" or high slew rate. Although it is inconvenient not to use my preferred measurement system, it also causes me to think that this could effect the leading edge of some music.

I have attached a pdf of the wave form. I would post the actual .wav file, but it apparently is not allowed here. If you want to try it, please PM me.

As you can see, the rise time of the wave form is pretty extreme, but I have never found another device that will not play it. And I have used it in a couple dozen different systems of my friends and my own.

Anyone else found tracks that unit will not play? I tried contacting Tech Support and they just suggested that I re-boot the unit which of course I have done multiple times. Hopefully they will respond again.

ptruce
What HTP-1's input you are using? If HDMI, have you tried biased pcm detect sensitivity?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Fury,

I have just tried to update from 1.8.0 to 1.8.1. Although the unit seems to have come back from the update as it is now playing music from Roon, for the last hour it appears to be stuck on the Almost Ready screen. I cannot access thorough its web page.

I am just about ready to turn it off completely and restart it unless you think that I should wait longer.

ptruce
If you have waited an hour, it's time to use the power switch. "Stuck at Almost Ready" is sometimes associated with "no network connection". Sometimes it takes a couple reboots to shake out the whole update.

The thing to avoid is dropping power while the meat of the update is in progress. If you lose the main codes you might need to do the factory update from SD card. But if it's making sound, it's in a stable state.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
If you have waited an hour, it's time to use the power switch. "Stuck at Almost Ready" is sometimes associated with "no network connection". Sometimes it takes a couple reboots to shake out the whole update.

The thing to avoid is dropping power while the meat of the update is in progress. If you lose the main codes you might need to do the factory update from SD card. But if it's making sound, it's in a stable state.
Thank you. Will do that now.

ptruce

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
What HTP-1's input you are using? If HDMI, have you tried biased pcm detect sensitivity?
Good idea. Will figure out how to set that up. I will also try one of the digital inputs.

ptruce

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,482 Posts
@matty1137 , Thanks, that is what I was hoping. It would have been more useful if they had made the indicator say "Native" instead of "Direct", since Native is what I chose.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
What input are you using? On a reliable HDMI source the PCM Detect Sensitivity should be set to indicated. This makes the job of the format detector easiest. Using the analog input should work always. I downloaded the zip file of the Omni_Mic_Test_Tracks and they play for me.

I assume this is just a PCM format CD? Do you have problems with other program material?
Your suggestion saved the day. I need the Biased setting on the input and then it plays perfectly. Thanks so much for the help.

ptruce

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,482 Posts
So what is the consensus on this setting? The options are Auto, Biased, or Indicated. Mine are all set to the default, Auto, and I don't think I have heard any issues. Is there a better setting that I should choose?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am listening to some multi-channel music from my Oppo 203. For example, I am now listening to a DVD Audio disk, and the Oppo audio output setting is "DVD Audio". The HTP-1 is showing 5.1 PCM input. For output, I have two options, Native and Dolby Surround. I don't think Dolby Surround is the right choice because it is likely altering/up mixing the discreet 5-channel audio. If I select Native, the output shows "5.1.0 Direct". I am used to associating "Direct" with the disabling of bass control and treating all speakers as full range. Is this what is happening, or is the output still using bass control? How can I be sure, other than what I hear?
Hi Jerry!

I have noted that in the "SPEAKERS" page of the Sysetem Configuration (gear icon main page display) that the
"Http-1 Bass Management On" button is ALWAYS high (Dirac On, Off, Bypass). I have tried to figure a way to disable that feature, to be able to run some measurements of various sub placements/speaker configurations, but no success yet.
If I select "DIRECT" on my Http-1, the speakers Tab keep the previous setting (small X60 in mc case), but...my replacement unit is scheduled to be here on in a few days.

Thank you very much

FURY

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi Jerry!

I have noted that in the "SPEAKERS" page of the Sysetem Configuration (gear icon main page display) that the
"Http-1 Bass Management On" button is ALWAYS high (Dirac On, Off, Bypass). I have tried to figure a way to disable that feature, to be able to run some measurements of various sub placements/speaker configurations, but no success yet.
If I select "DIRECT" on my Http-1, the speakers Tab keep the previous setting (small X60 in mc case), but...my replacement unit is scheduled to be here on in a few days.

Thank you very much

FURY
It is always on if you don't use Dirac Live Bass Control for bass management. Direct is not = direct audio path. It just means there is no upmixer used.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,482 Posts
So what is the consensus on this setting? The options are Auto, Biased, or Indicated. Mine are all set to the default, Auto, and I don't think I have heard any issues. Is there a better setting that I should choose?
Well, to answer my own question, it should be set to "Indicated" in order to hear the navigation sounds from the AppleTV4K. Seems like I remember this being discussed before, but there is so much to remember.

Reactions: Carbo

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,482 Posts
It took only about an hour of work to replace the Marantz device on my Harmony Elite remote with the HTP-1, with almost exactly the same functionality. The only thing I have not been able to figure out is how to issue a "Picture Off" command to my Sony TV when playing an audio-only source, and then switch back to "Picture On" for sources with video.

The conversion was made very easy because the HTP-1 is already in the Harmony database, which I believe has been already reported. In case anyone would find it useful, I am attaching a list of the commands in the database.

Attachments

Reactions: sdurani

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Thanks to all for the great help today.

I managed to measure my system without Dirac Live or DLBC, but I did input the Delays from my Audessey Pro calibration from my Marantz. The attached screenshot shows the right (red) and left (black) speakers with the 4 subs engaged with an Ashly 4-in, 4-out box.

Room has 8 large bass traps and two the of the walls are upholstered with two types of acoustic foam so it naturally falls off in the midrange and treble region. My wife has always maintained that I need a padded room and now I have one. :)

I tried using DL (not DLBC) but the levels setup really reduced headroom on my particular setup. I think Dirac will not increase the level to a speaker only reduce them (or am I wrong again?). Thus on my Marantz 8802a box, my levels ranged from -4.5dB to +3dB which is thought was ok gain structure. But reducing most of the speakers up to 7.5dB's would really put a hurt on the available headroom so I have dropped it for now.

Not real happy with the 200 - 1K region, but I will figure it out.

Measurement was using OmniMicV2, 5 spatially averaged positions, 1/24 octave sampling.

Once again, thanks to all for the help - REALLY appreciated.

ptruce

Right (red) Left Aud delays.png

Reactions: markrubin

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
It took only about an hour of work to replace the Marantz device on my Harmony Elite remote with the HTP-1, with almost exactly the same functionality. The only thing I have not been able to figure out is how to issue a "Picture Off" command to my Sony TV when playing an audio-only source, and then switch back to "Picture On" for sources with video.

The conversion was made very easy because the HTP-1 is already in the Harmony database, which I believe has been already reported. In case anyone would find it useful, I am attaching a list of the commands in the database.
I wonder if the Shutdown command now recommended for 1.8.0 and up will be implemented.

ptruce

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, to answer my own question, it should be set to "Indicated" in order to hear the navigation sounds from the AppleTV4K. Seems like I remember this being discussed before, but there is so much to remember.
I wasn’t getting navigation sounds either from my Apple TV (now upgraded to ATV4k).

Setting it to “biased” worked for me, and was the recommendation in this thread. Looks like both settings work :)

Try "Settings > Inputs > PCM Detect Sensitivity > Biased". You first have to enable it in "Settings > System > Advanced Input Settings" though.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I tried using DL (not DLBC) but the levels setup really reduced headroom on my particular setup. I think Dirac will not increase the level to a speaker only reduce them (or am I wrong again?). Thus on my Marantz 8802a box, my levels ranged from -4.5dB to +3dB which is thought was ok gain structure. But reducing most of the speakers up to 7.5dB's would really put a hurt on the available headroom so I have dropped it for now.
Dirac on its own won't raise a speaker above 0dB, but you can do that, up to +10dB, on the Calibration tab, in the User Trim column. Several of us were having the problem of having to raise the Master Volume several dB after a Dirac calibration because we had certain speakers, usually Surrounds, that were much quieter than the mains. Dirac would attenuate the mains by as much as 15dB or more to make them match the Surrounds. Some of us fixed that by adding tiny pre-amps to our Surround-channel DIY power amps.

I think I remember hearing about some potential issues with going above 0dB in the User Trim (eating into headroom, or something like that) but I'm not smart enough to speak intelligently about that. I've done it to a degree, and my head hasn't fallen off.

Hope this helps.

Rick

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,482 Posts
I thought I heard that an input would "remember" settings. I typically watch DirecTV in Dolby Surround mode. As mentioned earlier, I have been listening to multi-channel audio from the Oppo in Direct mode. When I switched back to the DirecTV input, the HTP-1 stayed in Direct mode. Should it not have remembered that the DTV input was supposed to be in Dolby Surround mode? Having to correct this every time I switch an input will be a PITA. I am used to the "Quick Select" functionality of D&M AVR's.

6301 - 6320 of 6810 Posts