AVS Forum banner

11641 - 11660 of 12014 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I want to do a 7ch bed, 2 front height and 4 overhead, can the HTP-1 do this setup? After reading the manual, i'm a bit confused on the height/overhead setup options

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I already blew up the tweeters on my two surround back speakers with this damn HTP-1...(the dreaded horn sound attacked my system before Monoprice could fix it). Now, I am reading that there is another bug that could destroy my other speakers? bad Monoprice. :)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I already blew up the tweeters on my two surround back speakers with this damn HTP-1...(the dreaded horn sound attacked my system before Monoprice could fix it). Now, I am reading that there is another bug that could destroy my other speakers? bad Monoprice. :)
How can this be blamed on the HTP-1, when the official Monoprice webUI apparently gives you a warning that you are using an out of range setting?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Hello All,

I am auditioning 3 Seaton Catalysts 12C's in my current set-up to see how they compare to my Tekton Ulfberhts. This is my first foray into the world of active/powered speakers. The tri-amped Catalysts have an input sensitivity of 1vm RMS which I will set the HTP accordingly. Any other suggestions? I am pretty much flying blind so any other suggestions are welcome. I will post in the DIRAC and Seaton thread for other suggestions in regard to room connection and the built in DSP that the Seaton's have. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: BRAC and Mike_WI

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hello All,

I am auditioning 3 Seaton Catalysts 12C's in my current set-up to see how they compare to my Tekton Ulfberhts. This is my first foray into the world of active/powered speakers. The tri-amped Catalysts have an input sensitivity of 1vm RMS which I will set the HTP accordingly. Any other suggestions? I am pretty much flying blind so any other suggestions are welcome. I will post in the DIRAC and Seaton thread for other suggestions in regard to room connection and the built in DSP that the Seaton's have. Thanks in advance!
Start with the manufacturer specs and see if they get a hot enough signal, if not gradually raise the value in the htp-1 until you're where you want to be output-wide. Note that you may introduce distortion after a certain point so tread lightly and don't run things full tilt right after making changes.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
How can this be blamed on the HTP-1, when the official Monoprice webUI apparently gives you a warning that you are using an out of range setting?
While I tend to agree with this, they do provide an API interface the API it should reject out of bounds values vs the web gui.
This makes API use safe for any gui or tool using the API as they are not guessing on what the api will accept or what functionality is acceptable w/o damage.
If the API doesnt boung the input to a safe value its an attack vector especially as the API doesn't require authentication.

Reactions: warwwolf7 and bobof

·
aka jfinnie
5,221 Posts
While I tend to agree with this, they do provide an API interface the API it should reject out of bounds values vs the web gui.
This makes API use safe for any gui or tool using the API as they are not guessing on what the api will accept or what functionality is acceptable w/o damage.
If the API doesnt boung the input to a safe value its an attack vector especially as the API doesn't require authentication.
While I agree with the sentiment it should be bounds checked, the attack vector is a bit far - as you can of course turn the volume way, way up too without authentication.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If I change my main amp to one that has a higher input sensitivity (than I'm currently using) and then raise the sensitivity on the HTP-1 accordingly, then would it be recommended to adjust the input sensitivity on my sub amp to more closely match the main amps?

·
Registered
240 Posts
If I change my main amp to one that has a higher input sensitivity (than I'm currently using) and then raise the sensitivity on the HTP-1 accordingly, then would it be recommended to adjust the input sensitivity on my sub amp to more closely match the main amps?
Definitely. Be sure to take a reading in rew or on a db meter of your speakers and subs separately all you can maintain the same balance you had before.

Ideally, a fresh dirac calibration should be done as well.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Definitely. Be sure to take a reading in rew or on a db meter of your speakers and subs separately all you can maintain the same balance you had before.

Ideally, a fresh dirac calibration should be done as well.
I would definitely do a fresh call when the amp comes in. The sub amp is somewhere around 1.7Vrms now and the speaker amp is rated at 2.3Vrms. If I remember correctly by lowering the amp gain that would put the sensitivity at around 2.4Vrms. I just wasn't sure if it would be beneficial to do it or not for the subs.

Reactions: fooschnickens

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATED: Resolved. Thanks all!

-----
Hey all. I've got a HTP-1 that decided to pull the "wont boot past splash screen" after a reset. I contacted support, and they're telling me it may be several days in order to get a "procedure created" to factory restore. I found the restore procedure PDF on an old attachment, but all the download links are expired. If someone happens to have a copy of the "htp1_rescue_v1.1.img.xz" file (or newer version) from when they went through this, I'd really appreciate a dropbox link or attachment or something so I can get my theater up and running again.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,603 Posts
UPDATED: Resolved. Thanks all!
Resolved how?

@MonolithGuy - It would be interesting to hear the root cause of how the HTP-1 can get in a state where it won't boot and requires a restore image to recover. It seems to have happened to enough owners to have become a thing.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Probably be a good idea to have permanent link to it since you are NOT the first person that has been looking for it and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Is there a current bug connecting a laptop to the HTP-1 via HDMI?

I have a macbook pro connected via HDMI to HDMI2 on the HTP-1 for the purpose of running REW measures, but it quite often just doesn't recognize the laptop visavis the laptop doesn't recogize the HTP-1.
I've tried rebooting both devices, doesn't work. Only attempting to do a firmware upgrade (where HTP-1 says I'm already on the latest version and backs out) allows me to connect for a while, until it starts doing it again.

Edit: Figured it out, it seems surrounds and heights need to all be enabled in order for the HTP-1 to recognize the laptop. Weird. I had only C, Mains and Sub enabled

·
Registered
362 Posts
Probably be a good idea to have permanent link to it since you are NOT the first person that has been looking for it and couldn't find it.
Being a fence-sitter on this, I gotta say it is more than a little concerning that there seems to be a good deal of people in this last group of buyers having problems. Especially the bricking of the unit again as reported in this instance.
Budgetary concerns aside while I wait for news on two other fronts (HDMI upgrade and DTS:X Pro)... this could keep me on the sidelines if not addressed. I'm in no hurry yet: this has been the front runner in my plan to replace my SR 6012 perhaps later this year.

Reactions: sparkyc51

·
Registered
680 Posts
Is there a current bug connecting a laptop to the HTP-1 via HDMI?

I have a macbook pro connected via HDMI to HDMI2 on the HTP-1 for the purpose of running REW measures, but it quite often just doesn't recognize the laptop visavis the laptop doesn't recogize the HTP-1.
I've tried rebooting both devices, doesn't work. Only attempting to do a firmware upgrade (where HTP-1 says I'm already on the latest version and backs out) allows me to connect for a while, until it starts doing it again.

Edit: Figured it out, it seems surrounds and heights need to all be enabled in order for the HTP-1 to recognize the laptop. Weird. I had only C, Mains and Sub enabled
That is so weird. I used to have issues with that but I upgraded the ram and hard drive on my iMac and it’s worked great since. But that’s is very weird. You sure it’s not just a coincidence?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Being a fence-sitter on this, I gotta say it is more than a little concerning that there seems to be a good deal of people in this last group of buyers having problems. Especially the bricking of the unit again as reported in this instance.
Budgetary concerns aside while I wait for news on two other fronts (HDMI upgrade and DTS:X Pro)... this could keep me on the sidelines if not addressed. I'm in no hurry yet: this has been the front runner in my plan to replace my SR 6012 perhaps later this year.
I've had virtually no issues except for that loudness issue that scared the crap out of me. But that wasn't a monoprice issue, and it's now resolved.

I have a couple things that I don't love, but overall, it's a really nice preamp that I intend to keep for a long time. It sounds fantastic, and I've really enjoyed Dirac now that I've got the full hang of it.

I'll be watching the AVM90 closely, but I'm not expecting that it will have much practical value for my setup. We'll see.

Reactions: Ryanosaur

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,660
Reactions: Roland Janus
11641 - 11660 of 12014 Posts