AVS Forum banner

11661 - 11680 of 12014 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
While I agree with the sentiment it should be bounds checked, the attack vector is a bit far - as you can of course turn the volume way, way up too without authentication.
So I do agree on the attack vector thing, I stated it overly strong in some ways =).
This is ultimately the problem with internet connected devices, its just in most cases features are not exposed that can seriously break stuff. AVP/R's have a few features that make that pretty easy to do and those features are required.
The system should do the bounds checking in the API so the API rejects any out of bound values.
Honestly I feel that monoprice should implement a user and password for the web interface. There should be some sort of authentication required before you can execute commands.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I think the first posts need a edit to change that Roon Certification is here.

Reactions: pink soda

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,603 Posts
Edit: Figured it out, it seems surrounds and heights need to all be enabled in order for the HTP-1 to recognize the laptop. Weird. I had only C, Mains and Sub enabled
Sorry, that makes no sense at all. HDMI and speaker configuration are not related, so I suspect it is a coincidence. I have never had any issues connecting my laptop to the HTP-1 for REW, but my laptop is a Windows device. Historically, Windows laptops seem to have less issues with REW than Apple laptops.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've had virtually no issues except for that loudness issue that scared the crap out of me. But that wasn't a monoprice issue, and it's now resolved.

I have a couple things that I don't love, but overall, it's a really nice preamp that I intend to keep for a long time. It sounds fantastic, and I've really enjoyed Dirac now that I've got the full hang of it.

I'll be watching the AVM90 closely, but I'm not expecting that it will have much practical value for my setup. We'll see.
Since I've been following along here from day 1, I've seen all the good and bad. When you last visited that other site, IIRC your last message there was a touch more negative. ;)
I'm glad you are happy with it.
Over at that other site, I've gotten nipped at for questioning Amir's review and suggesting he let his ego get in the way. *shrugs I'll take it. For what this unit delivers on at the price asked, it sure seems a winner. But if ATI really is delivering on their version later this year, there are still some kinks to get worked out. Either way, between ATI or the Anthem 90, gonna be too rich for my blood this year, and I would really like to move beyond what I have.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mono/ATI makes this a complete product soon. Hopefully, Dirac, too.
:)

Reactions: llang269

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Since I've been following along here from day 1, I've seen all the good and bad. When you last visited that other site, IIRC your last message there was a touch more negative. ;)
Over at that other site, I've gotten nipped at for questioning Amir's review and suggesting he let his ego get in the way. *shrugs I'll take it. For what this unit delivers on at the price asked, it sure seems a winner. But if ATI really is delivering on their version later this year, there are still some kinks to get worked out. Either way, between ATI or the Anthem 90, gonna be too rich for my blood this year, and I would really like to move beyond what I have.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mono/ATI makes this a complete product soon. Hopefully, Dirac, too.
How did Amir's ego get in the way of the measurements? Were the measurements done incorrectly, if so, in what way? The HTP-1 appears to measure inline with its analog design.

·
Registered
362 Posts
How did Amir's ego get in the way of the measurements? Were the measurements done incorrectly, if so, in what way? The HTP-1 appears to measure inline with its analog design.
I didn't suggest his measurements were wrong. That said, the initial review of the Denon 4700 showed he is not immune from mistakes, either.
Aside from that, I think a fair majority of the users generally seem to agree that his "panther rating" was somewhat arbitrary. Alas, I didn't bring that up with intention to beat a dead horse, rather simply discussing the cross-pollination between fora about the HTP-1 with Erod.

Reactions: llang269 and BRAC

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think it was the whole 4 Vrms debacle that rubbed people the wrong way. Bottom line, the HTP-1 definitely deserves better than the headless pink panther nonsense that he gave it. I personally find his reviews can be misleading if one doesn’t know any better. I can read between the lines myself and take from the data what I deem relevant, but a lot of people take his subjective opinions very seriously and make purchasing decisions based on that alone. Those people are missing out on some truly great performing gear imo.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
That is so weird. I used to have issues with that but I upgraded the ram and hard drive on my iMac and it’s worked great since. But that’s is very weird. You sure it’s not just a coincidence?
Happened twice to me today - first time ever happened was today and really didn't do anything different.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Sorry, that makes no sense at all. HDMI and speaker configuration are not related, so I suspect it is a coincidence. I have never had any issues connecting my laptop to the HTP-1 for REW, but my laptop is a Windows device. Historically, Windows laptops seem to have less issues with REW than Apple laptops.
I managed to do it twice today (once after I posted).

No HTP-1 connection on laptop with heights/surrounds disabled (only mains, center sub on).
HTP-1 connection instantly made available (macbook syncs screen via hdmi and everything) as soon as I enable heights and surrounds in via HTP-1 web interface.

Yes, I agree, weird.

Lost like 2 hours of measurement time today on this issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,670
I managed to do it twice today (once after I posted).

No HTP-1 connection on laptop with heights/surrounds disabled (only mains, center sub on).
HTP-1 connection instantly made available (macbook syncs screen via hdmi and everything) as soon as I enable heights and surrounds in via HTP-1 web interface.

Yes, I agree, weird.

Lost like 2 hours of measurement time today on this issue.
Report the issue with the feedback tool and include your email so they can respond. Toggling heights changes the EDID so speaker config actually can affect HDMI. I wasn't able to reproduce your issue though, with a 3.3 config I still get HDMI video through my windows PC with Nvidia graphics. Maybe there's something specific about your laptop that the HTP-1 doesn't handle correctly.

Reactions: canavan

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
This unit is solid and gets better the more you get comfortable and understand it. It's not perfect, but I can but say I prefer it to my AVM60 before, which I loved.

Dirac is simply better than ARC, which is part of that reasoning

·
Registered
362 Posts
This unit is solid and gets better the more you get comfortable and understand it. It's not perfect, but I can but say I prefer it to my AVM60 before, which I loved.

Dirac is simply better than ARC, which is part of that reasoning
And that is why I am still hanging out here. I see it: I get it. Thus far it is the most promising solution for what I want to achieve in my room.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
And that is why I am still hanging out here. I see it: I get it. Thus far it is the most promising solution for what I want to achieve in my room.
Honestly, for the first two weeks, I thought I'd return it and wait. It's very different than my AVM60.

Frustrating that I can't play Spotify without turning on the projector and going through the Roku. Needs an OSD option. Took a while to get the input sensitivity figured out with my amps.

But I made a point to spend a lot of time with it and get acclimated, and it grew on me. Sound quality was never in question. Sounds really nice and Dirac offers so much control. Better DAC chips than everything else in this price range

Definitely a value at this price given its advanced and endless control capabilities, especially if they get DLBC sorted out.

My panther has a head. Lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
Honestly, for the first two weeks, I thought I'd return it and wait. It's very different than my AVM60.

Frustrating that I can't play Spotify without turning on the projector and going through the Roku. Needs an OSD option. Took a while to get the input sensitivity figured out with my amps.

But I made a point to spend a lot of time with it and get acclimated, and it grew on me. Sound quality was never in question. Sounds really nice and Dirac offers so much control. Better DAC chips than everything else in this price range

Definitely a value at this price given its advanced and endless control capabilities, especially if they get DLBC sorted out.

My panther has a head. Lol
You should pop back in over at that other site and follow up! :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
What other site, and why?
Other than a good review from the team at AH, the main thread there is not populated by many owners. A few that have chimed in there have not contributed to the conversation significantly. As Erod has participated there early in his ownership, it would be nice to have his early experience revisited and share his positive feedback.

·
Registered
57 Posts
UPDATED: Resolved. Thanks all!

-----
Hey all. I've got a HTP-1 that decided to pull the "wont boot past splash screen" after a reset. I contacted support, and they're telling me it may be several days in order to get a "procedure created" to factory restore. I found the restore procedure PDF on an old attachment, but all the download links are expired. If someone happens to have a copy of the "htp1_rescue_v1.1.img.xz" file (or newer version) from when they went through this, I'd really appreciate a dropbox link or attachment or something so I can get my theater up and running again.
Where did you get the updated file? I ran into a similar issue and also need to do a factory reset. Oddly mine was running fine and then I noticed I couldn’t connect through the Web GUI, went to check and it was endlessly cycling on the Monolith logo. No combination of reboots or whatever worked.

searched this thread and saw the PDF doc your referring to but as you note, link is expired

I did email Monoprice and they said they are trying to track down the reset file needed...not sure why they wouldn’t just have it available for support, seems odd

many thanks

Reactions: Ryanosaur

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Being a fence-sitter on this, I gotta say it is more than a little concerning that there seems to be a good deal of people in this last group of buyers having problems. Especially the bricking of the unit again as reported in this instance.
Budgetary concerns aside while I wait for news on two other fronts (HDMI upgrade and DTS:X Pro)... this could keep me on the sidelines if not addressed. I'm in no hurry yet: this has been the front runner in my plan to replace my SR 6012 perhaps later this year.
Well just to add a touch of balance, I've only had mine three weeks, so I am in that group of buyers and (touch wood) not had a single issue.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Hello All,

I am auditioning 3 Seaton Catalysts 12C's in my current set-up to see how they compare to my Tekton Ulfberhts. This is my first foray into the world of active/powered speakers. The tri-amped Catalysts have an input sensitivity of 1vm RMS which I will set the HTP accordingly. Any other suggestions? I am pretty much flying blind so any other suggestions are welcome. I will post in the DIRAC and Seaton thread for other suggestions in regard to room connection and the built in DSP that the Seaton's have. Thanks in advance!
I use active Danley SH100B’s
Well just to add a touch of balance, I've only had mine three weeks, so I am in that group of buyers and (touch wood) not had a single issue.
no issues here either, I’ve also had mine about 3 weeks.

11661 - 11680 of 12014 Posts