AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2229 Posts

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just going to ask...does anyone have theirs yet? Because I thought for sure they were ready; and after I placed my order...my dealer is telling me, a delay means mid-January...and that in fact, I'll have one of the first ones.

But...I decided to do an "official" thread, instead; because I'm sure considering the nature of the unit...there will be some set-up, functionality questions.

Attachments

Reactions: Webmaio

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess that answers my question, lol :eek:

Anybody planning, to get one; or is it just me??

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooh; 2019 starting off right! :D

Checked in, with my NAD dealer...on what I assumed, was his 1st day back from the Holiday break.

Just wanted an update, on the C658; figuring I still had a week or so, before there'd be any new news.

Should be coming, sooner than originally expected. As early as tomorrow!! :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am quite interested in this unit. It seems like an amazing value for the money. There doesn’t seem to be much information about it anywhere though. I have 3 questions about it. Do you know if the MQA is fully decoded before the Dirac correction is applied? Any idea what the DAC is? An upper limit of 192k would seem to indicate either an old or low end ESS DAC. I don’t know much about Dirac, but I understand they have a relatively new version 2 out. Anyone know if this will have v1 or v2?

I’ll be excited to hear your impressions!

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also interested in this component.

From what I can glean from the specifications, the DAC is probably the Sabre Reference ES2008 from 2014, which is not a “new” chip.

I am considering adding this component to a reasonably high-end audio system because,
1) The Bluos interface and features are better than others I have seen and I find the GUI fairly intuitive and easy to use, not to mention how reliable it has been.
2) The Dirac Live correction is top notch, and unless one has a custom designed listening room, it is a net benefit.

But, I have a few concerns as well, including: the quality of the DAC, the overall quality of the preamp, and is the latest Dirac version being used (per “flafond”).

If the quality of the preamp/DAC degrades the proceeding components it’s a problem. I suspect this wasn’t released as a Master Series component to hit a pricepoint, but I think the quality of the Bluos streaming solution is capable of being the digital front-end of any quality of audio system as long as it’s driving a quality DAC.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer will be shipping Monday :D

I don’t know much about Dirac, but I understand they have a relatively new version 2 out. Anyone know if this will have v1 or v2?

IDK, if it's v1/2 so much; as the C658 comes with less-than-full version, of Dirac Live...that can be upgraded to Dirac Live Full.

From what I can glean from the specifications, the DAC is probably the Sabre Reference ES2008 from 2014, which is not a “new” chip.

The data sheet, says "ESS Sabre DAC with MQA decoding". So...I don't think, it's a re-treaded chip :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer will be shipping Monday :D

I don’t know much about Dirac, but I understand they have a relatively new version 2 out. Anyone know if this will have v1 or v2?

IDK, if it's v1/2 so much; as the C658 comes with less-than-full version, of Dirac Live...that can be upgraded to Dirac Live Full.

The data sheet, says "ESS Sabre DAC with MQA decoding". So...I don't think, it's a re-treaded chip :D
Good to know, let us know your thoughts once you’ lived with it for a while.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I too am waiting for one.
I too have been told mid January.

Just happens that my 30 year old receiver dies when this item was announced.

Main reasons I want it are:
DIRAC
True Stereo Sub Out
Streaming

This will feed a dynaco inspired tube amp driving GoldenEar Triton Fives
Two subs, each 12" driver in a sealed 1.375 cu/ft cabinet driven by a Behringer NU1000DSP amp.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is on a truck! I'll have it tomorrow :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is on a truck! I'll have it tomorrow :cool:
I've been really looking forward to this product. It solves for the perfect use case for my stereo listening, but sometimes needing a sub - while also accommodating for room correction. All with the ease of streaming MQA.

I'd appreciate if you can shed some light on the audio-quality, and provide any feedback and listening impressions. I wanna pull the button on it, but hesitant given the price point, and other good options like Mytek Brooklyn (minus the sub, streaming and room correction part).

I wanna ensure this is musical, and provide great sound quality.

Appreciate the response!

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will you please confirm whether the sub out are stereo, not just two sub out channels.

I have been receiving pushback and getting pretty annoyed by it.
It's here.

Give me a day or two...to un-box, set-up; make impressions, etc.

Not sure how to test subs. I don't have any :confused:

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In da house; out of, da box :D

Not sure, how I'll set it up at first. I could do Auralic Aries Mini (AAM), before I mess with the ROON set-up. Might run it to active Dynaudio X14As; or maybe as pre-amp, into an Adcom GFA-565SE...driving Revel M106s.

Will report.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
In da house; out of, da box :D

Not sure, how I'll set it up at first. I could do Auralic Aries Mini (AAM), before I mess with the ROON set-up. Might run it to active Dynaudio X14As; or maybe as pre-amp, into an Adcom GFA-565SE...driving Revel M106s.

Will report.

looks good! just like to know if there is a quick way to access the fixed volume (HT bypass) on the remote or the unit?

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ I think...you'd just set it, and forget (at fixed).

·
Registered
234 Posts
NAD C658 Blue OS streamer DAC

anybody got ahold of the NAD C658 Blue OS streamer DAC?
tell me about it ¡¡
where can you buy this in North America - USA?

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally did the set-up (kinda), last night (need longer, balanced ICs...to run the C658 directly into my active Dynaudio X14As).

I have to admit: as this is my first exposure/experience, with BluOS; I'm a little confused...about exactly how it works :confused:

The Dual Band Wi-Fi, and 2-way Qualcomm aptX HD Bluetooth features...are fine; and I understand desirable by many. But I'm not sure, I really see the need. I have a hard wire, in my Listening Room...and I always prefer to go, wired v. wireless; when I can.

So I was kinda caught off-guard...when I hadn't bothered to attach my antennas; that I couldn't set-up ROON. Based on my vast experience, streaming; I would have thought...the Ethernet port, would have acted as a "source" (sort of like the Bridge, on PS Audio's streamers). But...with Ethernet connected, via the hard wire; my iPad was saying it could not connect with the C658. Only after I attached the antennas, did it work.

So...does that mean, the iPad throws the signal; to the C658? Then how does the Ethernet run play in?? Still sorting that out :eek:

Also...looking at the feature bullets; I realize...I didn't see ANYTHING, about the Dirac. Either in the set-up or manual. (Though I did see this, whereas I didn't before "Stereo Subwoofer Output"; though I still have no way of testing, if that's just 2 x mono or stereo. As I don't have 1 sub, much less 2).

That's about it for now.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
NAD C658 Blue OS streamer DAC

I’ve been looking at one of these myself and went to my local dealer but they do not have any yet. World Wide Stereo and Music Direct have them in stock.

World Wide Stereo - https://www.worldwidestereo.com/products/nad-electronics-c-658-dac-bluos-streaming-dac-c658

Music Direct - https://www.musicdirect.com/more-be...ts/NAD-C-658-BLUOS-Streaming-DAC-Preamplifier

There’s also the NAD M10 - https://nadelectronics.com/product/m10-bluos-streaming-amplifier/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: wassup

·
Registered
234 Posts
The NAD10 looks very nice... but I do not need the power
and on the C658 I don't need the Phono pre-amp
I use the AirPulse Model 1 powered monitor speakers with XLR cables
I also have a set of JBL LSR 305 mk1 that I will have some fun with when I get the C 658 up... Dirac, do yo stuff ¡!¡!

1 - 20 of 2229 Posts