AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2299 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am curious which ESS chip is being utilized in the C 658... the M10 says:
32-BIT/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC

Is that the Pro 9038?

edit: The C 658 is pure high resolution from input to output and features NAD’s Direct Digital 35 bit 844kHz DAC, one of the best performing DACs on the market today with its 130dB dynamic range and incredibly low jitter spec.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I finally did the set-up (kinda), last night (need longer, balanced ICs...to run the C658 directly into my active Dynaudio X14As).

I have to admit: as this is my first exposure/experience, with BluOS; I'm a little confused...about exactly how it works :confused:

The Dual Band Wi-Fi, and 2-way Qualcomm aptX HD Bluetooth features...are fine; and I understand desirable by many. But I'm not sure, I really see the need. I have a hard wire, in my Listening Room...and I always prefer to go, wired v. wireless; when I can.

So I was kinda caught off-guard...when I hadn't bothered to attach my antennas; that I couldn't set-up ROON. Based on my vast experience, streaming; I would have thought...the Ethernet port, would have acted as a "source" (sort of like the Bridge, on PS Audio's streamers). But...with Ethernet connected, via the hard wire; my iPad was saying it could not connect with the C658. Only after I attached the antennas, did it work.

So...does that mean, the iPad throws the signal; to the C658? Then how does the Ethernet run play in?? Still sorting that out :eek:

Also...looking at the feature bullets; I realize...I didn't see ANYTHING, about the Dirac. Either in the set-up or manual. (Though I did see this, whereas I didn't before "Stereo Subwoofer Output"; though I still have no way of testing, if that's just 2 x mono or stereo. As I don't have 1 sub, much less 2).

That's about it for now.
The number to call is 905 831 6555. Tell the nice lady that you want to speak with the NAD technician. That's one of the best phone calls you can make. Have your C658 ready to be hooked up to the internet, and just be prepared with whatever you think is necessary for some upgrades over the hardwired ethernet cable. I see that you have already been curious enough to start hooking the unit up to the internet, so when you call the NAD tech line, you will be ready to get things straightened out.

It looks like you've had a lot of time to investigate things on your own, but the call will be a good handshake with the tech line for future reference when you need instant help. Good luck and don't get stuck in the snow. :D

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The number to call is 905 831 6555. Tell the nice lady that you want to speak with the NAD technician. That's one of the best phone calls you can make. Have your C658 ready to be hooked up to the internet, and just be prepared with whatever you think is necessary for some upgrades over the hardwired ethernet cable. I see that you have already been curious enough to start hooking the unit up to the internet, so when you call the NAD tech line, you will be ready to get things straightened out.

It looks like you've had a lot of time to investigate things on your own, but the call will be a good handshake with the tech line for future reference when you need instant help. Good luck and don't get stuck in the snow. :D
Yeah; there's a BIG, yellow sticker on the box...that screams "Hey dumba$$; make sure you do an Internet update".

I'm no stranger to such things...and did have a look; seemed as if I was good. But...on further investigation, I see there's a whole addendum...I left in the box.

I'll see what that turns up tomorrow; otherwise...I'll make that nice-lady call, Monday :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah; there's a BIG, yellow sticker on the box...that screams "Hey dumba$$; make sure you do an Internet update".

I'm no stranger to such things...and did have a look; seemed as if I was good. But...on further investigation, I see there's a whole addendum...I left in the box.

I'll see what that turns up tomorrow; otherwise...I'll make that nice-lady call, Monday :D
I'm glad that I could help out another one of the humble members of this "forum". Thanks for the "reply".

Seriously, you actually asked a question. You got an answer to your question. Sometimes a person who respond to an individuals question is responding to the entire forum, not just the particular poster who asked the question. My reply to your "question" was aimed at any and all posters who are in the same situation as the poster asking the question, not just the OP. If I somehow created an atmosphere that led you to believe that I thought you were somehow behind the times, in regards to the forum members as a whole, than I guess that is true based upon the reaction to the reply.

It's the forum decorum that puts this forum above all others with the genuinely nice atmosphere between the members. Thanks for your ability to keep within those boundaries of the humble decorum that this forum is known for, and improving upon each and every post. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Got mine on Friday

I wanted to improve my streaming capability or use it as a component instead of a pre-amp.

• Connected to 7.1 inputs (L+R+Sub) on Marantz 8003
  • Also connected the unbalanced to CD ports on 8003
  • Also connected wired ethernet and just the BT antenna
  • Did the BluOS upgrade
  • Installed BluOS app on tablet. Tried Tunein stations. These sounded good though had issue with one that sounded slower. Figured was the source station.

Saturday
  • Installed BluOS on a PC. Configured shares and Amazon Prime. Tablet didn't have way to enter text.
  • Played CD and HiRez FLAC files. All good.
  • Played Amazon prime album. Better than expected.
  • Configured various sources and settings on 658.

That evening sat down to watch football and listen to music. After a minute or so I started having spontaneous pauses in BluOS stream. Pressing play would start it for a varying number of seconds < couple minutes. That's what I'm working on now. Hoping its a SW issue with a straightforward fix. I was really pleased with the sound and it is a huge improvement in streaming.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm glad that I could help out another one of the humble members of this "forum". Thanks for the "reply".

Seriously, you actually asked a question. You got an answer to your question. Sometimes a person who respond to an individuals question is responding to the entire forum, not just the particular poster who asked the question. My reply to your "question" was aimed at any and all posters who are in the same situation as the poster asking the question, not just the OP. If I somehow created an atmosphere that led you to believe that I thought you were somehow behind the times, in regards to the forum members as a whole, than I guess that is true based upon the reaction to the reply.

It's the forum decorum that puts this forum above all others with the genuinely nice atmosphere between the members. Thanks for your ability to keep within those boundaries of the humble decorum that this forum is known for, and improving upon each and every post. :rolleyes:
Sorry; not sure, I understand your reply :confused:

I wanted to improve my streaming capability or use it as a component instead of a pre-amp.

• Did the BluOS upgrade
  • Installed BluOS app on tablet. Tried Tunein stations. These sounded good though had issue with one that sounded slower. Figured was the source station.

Saturday
  • Installed BluOS on a PC. Configured shares and Amazon Prime. Tablet didn't have way to enter text.

That evening sat down to watch football and listen to music. After a minute or so I started having spontaneous pauses in BluOS stream. Pressing play would start it for a varying number of seconds < couple minutes. That's what I'm working on now. Hoping its a SW issue with a straightforward fix. I was really pleased with the sound and it is a huge improvement in streaming.
Candor...I should look, for an NAD BluOS app?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The c658 Looks like an awesome preamp
Like an m51 or c510 but with analog inputs and built in BlueOS and DSD support.
I have the c510 and it’s great. Perfect digital volume control.

I wish they had decided to go direct digital in the new M10 steaming AMP

Reactions: wassup

·
Registered
33 Posts
I read there was a 4k switcher module available with the C658. Does anyone know anything about it. Is eARC or just ARC? The preamp looks very interesting for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I read there was a 4k switcher module available with the C658. Does anyone know anything about it. Is eARC or just ARC? The preamp looks very interesting for me.
I want to know more about it myself. I will have to use my vast reservoir of resources to find out if this would be a good component for me, seeing as I have the T777 v3. I do believe it is more of a niche' device for someone who already has a quality AVR. If you were starting out to gather components for a "separates" type system, instead of using an AVR for the main hub in a sound system, this component would be a great starting point. The advantage I can see is that it has more flexibility and perhaps a newer DAC than the T 777 v3. When I listen to music in a stereo configuration, with or without a subwoofer, I use a DAP (Digital Audio Player) to bypass the on board DAC to play DSD or high res music files anyway.

One thing I will note here is the fact that it weighs in at a whopping 22.3 lbs! There is no power amplifier in this component, and yet it weighs more than what I would have expected. Some of the mainstream branded AVR's don't even weigh this much, and they have multiple amplifiers. I'm curious as to what this can really do.

·
Registered
625 Posts
CDLehner,

The manual for the C658 has some info:

MDC HDM-2
MDC HDM-2 offers three HDMI input terminals and one HDMI output. MDC
HDM-2 adds HDMI switching and audio capability to C 658. It supports
[email protected] 4:4:4 and HDCP 2.2 compliant. With MDC HDM-2 installed, C 658
supports HDMI Control (CEC) and Audio Return Channel (ARC) functions.
Both functions are possible if external devices that also support both
features are interconnected with C 658 via HDMI connection.
If an ARC connection is established, the front panel display will show
“HDMI ARC”. Ensure that ARC-connected devices to C 658 have their audio
settings set to PCM only.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sorry; not sure, I understand your reply :confused:

Candor...I should look, for an NAD BluOS app?
CDLehner,

It is a BlueSound app for controlling any BluOS device - https://www.bluesound.com/downloads/.

You might want for both a phone/tablet and a PC or MAC. I needed the PC one to add network shares with credentials as there wasn't any text capability on the tablet app.

Note, that I think you need your C658 turned on for the app to find it (also the app and the C658) probably need to be on the same IP network (most residences only have one) so your phone or table needs to be on your WLAN. On my PC the firewall flagged the app and I needed to approve it making connections.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
^ So...I've done my updates (nav is a little tricky there. For everything else...you arrow in that direction. For example...if you want to change volume, from variable to fixed; it's below the volume control setting...and you arrow down to change it. With the firmware updates...it was below, in System Info; and so I arrowed down. But when it did nothing...I assumed, there was nothing to do. Turns out...you need to 'select' at that point; and even then...it seemed like 2 updates (not just reboots), to get the job done (and even then...you can keep running it. Might I suggest to NAD; if you're current, and someone tries to run an update...say "hey dude, you're good", lol).

And I did find the BluOS app...simply by RTFM. It's OK; still exploring it, and I'm not sure I should expect it to top ROON.

I still, see NO indication of DIRAC; but...as I've had one RTFM moment, I'll look some more.

·
Registered
821 Posts
from the nad website.....

The C 658 is also the first NAD stereo component to feature Dirac Live room correction, the most sophisticated and effective room correction available. Dirac corrects the impulse response of your speakers, in addition to the frequency response of your room, for a truly transparent window into the musical performance. When the room resonances are tamed and the transient response is corrected, the result is magical. You have never heard your speakers sound this invisible or this good! Dirac will become available via software update in late January 2019

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

The C 658 is also the first NAD stereo component to feature Dirac Live room correction, the most sophisticated and effective room correction available. Dirac corrects the impulse response of your speakers, in addition to the frequency response of your room, for a truly transparent window into the musical performance. When the room resonances are tamed and the transient response is corrected, the result is magical. You have never heard your speakers sound this invisible or this good! Dirac will become available via software update in late January 2019
Ah; RTFW :eek:

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
So What's the verdict on the sound quality then? Is it better than what you had? Can you share your impressions on what you tested etc.?

thanks
Sorry Audiocat; not quite yet. Believe it or not...just one speaker, for now; for testing and set-up...because I need to secure some awfully long (balanced) ICs.

Won't be long; but don't expect a verdict like "better than I had". This is all part-downsizing. I had, some very sweet-sounding kit.

EDIT: Due Thursday

·
Registered
625 Posts
Resolved the spontaneous pausing

• Did the BluOS upgrade

Saturday

There are three factory reset to default choices. When this happened I tried the BluOS reset (no change), the MCU reset (no change), then moved on.

Yesterday, I did the combined MCU+BluOS choice, followed by the BluOS upgrade sequence, and for good measure shutoff the power for 30 seconds. Since then is has played without the spontaneous pausing.

I am pleased with the SQ (replaces Oppo 95 as streamer). But the real win for me is the improved streaming capability of BluOS vs. DLNA/Oppo 95.
  • Filter selecting music by bit width (quality) > play the 96X24 copy instead of the CD copy
  • Gapless (at least no increase in gap vs. playing CD or album)
  • App is very responsive (though with my Android Intel Chip tablet no text/voice input)
  • Cover art
  • Internet streaming services (Amazon Prime in my case)
  • I'm still learning...

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

More RTFW https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011867634-Dirac-Setup

Ah; first adopters :eek:

21 - 40 of 2299 Posts