41 - 60 of 2299 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
@qirex - thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Been curious about this component since my dealer emailed me several weeks ago about it. Could not find any reviews and I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts. I had been looking at the Naim Uniti Nova and close to pulling the trigger on a Hegel H360 integrated amp. Looking a product that has MQA support and would love to have a component that has Dirac and love the modularity options that NAD provides.

Have you guys figured out what DAC is in the C658? Someone mentioned ESS Saber so I wonder if it similar to the Oppo 205 Sabre DAC?

Reactions: wassup

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
L o n g ICs, are here; and things are "fully" set-up.

Very early impressions...are quite good. Let the listening begin!

Not going to get into DIRAC, until I reconfigure the room...which is part of the overall "experiment".

A Listening Room, than is more conducive...to relaxing, while listening to music; than purpose driven, to just plunk yourself down...in front of gear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was just going to ask...does anyone have theirs yet? Because I thought for sure they were ready; and after I placed my order...my dealer is telling me, a delay means mid-January...and that in fact, I'll have one of the first ones.

But...I decided to do an "official" thread, instead; because I'm sure considering the nature of the unit...there will be some set-up, functionality questions.

I'm very happy you created this thread :). I'm also very interested in the Nad 658 as an upgrade to my existing preamp (emotiva ta-100). Just wondering if you could confirm the following. As stated in the specs, the USB port is only for a wireless add-on module, I cannot use this USB port to play music from a laptop via USB cable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm very happy you created this thread :). I'm also very interested in the Nad 658 as an upgrade to my existing preamp (emotiva ta-100). Just wondering if you could confirm the following. As stated in the specs, the USB port is only for a wireless add-on module, I cannot use this USB port to play music from a laptop via USB cable.

Thanks!
There is a USB port on the back that you can put a USB stick in and use that as a source in BluOS. I haven't tried it yet. The hi rez FLAC files I have on USB are also on NAS. Thus far networking 96x24 files works well.

There is a modular option for USB that includes an asynch USB connection for connecting to a PC.

I don't recall anything about a wireless add on module. There is a USB dongle for plugging in the supplied microphone for DIRAC set up (when that becomes available). There is also a service mode micro or mini USB port for dealers.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
There is a USB port on the back that you can put a USB stick in and use that as a source in BluOS. I haven't tried it yet. The hi rez FLAC files I have on USB are also on NAS. Thus far networking 96x24 files works well.

There is a modular option for USB that includes an asynch USB connection for connecting to a PC.

I don't recall anything about a wireless add on module. There is a USB dongle for plugging in the supplied microphone for DIRAC set up (when that becomes available). There is also a service mode micro or mini USB port for dealers.
I think, DIRAC is actually ready https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011867634-Dirac-Setup

Sorry; you're right https://nadelectronics.com/dirac-live/

·
Registered
235 Posts

you mean you can´t connect a laptop via USB to send rendered files from say Audnirvana or iTunes? how about SPDIF or TOSLINK?
that does not seem right... that would be the most basic of functionality to include on this box. I am gonna contact NAD on this...

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
you mean you can´t connect a laptop via USB to send rendered files from say Audnirvana or iTunes? how about SPDIF or TOSLINK?

that does not seem right... that would be the most basic of functionality to include on this box. I am gonna contact NAD on this...

Exactly, I prefer direct wired usb connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
I speculated it might be a new ESS DAC or product

Been curious about this component since my dealer emailed me several weeks ago about it. Could not find any reviews and I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts. I had been looking at the Naim Uniti Nova and close to pulling the trigger on a Hegel H360 integrated amp. Looking a product that has MQA support and would love to have a component that has Dirac and love the modularity options that NAD provides.

Have you guys figured out what DAC is in the C658? Someone mentioned ESS Saber so I wonder if it similar to the Oppo 205 Sabre DAC?
I am unwilling to take it apart to know for sure.

I wanted to know what DAC was used before buying. My googling tuned up ESS news article from May 2018 about integrating MQA in a future mobile DAC.

But the only indication of a product is from Jan 4th 2019 which they call a HW CODEC or the ES9068Q.

·
Registered
624 Posts
There are coaxial and optical digital inputs.

Regarding the USB port I was providing what was in the manual. That is also where the optional modular USB unit the DD USB 2.0 is described.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
... But the only indication of a product is from Jan 4th 2019 which they call a HW CODEC or the ES9068Q.
It *might* be that chip, but it's really close timing between the ESS announcement and the NAD shipping, although NAD could have been working with Beta hardware for the past year, and just received production chips in Q4 2018.

My guess is it's a similar DAC to the BluSound Node products, as NAD/BluSound has already implemented the software to MQA-enable that older chip.

I think we'll see the newly announced ESS chip in updates to the BluSound products later this year. And in a ton of other products from other vendors as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with renaming input sources on their C 658?

I can rename one source and it persists across a power cycle, but any further edits are not saved...

Thx

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
There are coaxial and optical digital inputs.

Regarding the USB port I was providing what was in the manual. That is also where the optional modular USB unit the DD USB 2.0 is described.

I would definitely buy one of the USB A - B modules.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I am unwilling to take it apart to know for sure.

I wanted to know what DAC was used before buying. My googling tuned up ESS news article from May 2018 about integrating MQA in a future mobile DAC.

But the only indication of a product is from Jan 4th 2019 which they call a HW CODEC or the ES9068Q.

My bad...I completely forgot that I took a pic of the oppo 205 info panel that indicates the DAC is ES9038PRO.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
i thought we were asking about the ESS chip in the NAD C 658? Is that also a ES9038Pro?

We are...and that’s the question. We know the 658 has an ESS chip but not sure which one. I asked if it could be the same or similar to the ESS chip in the 205 now that Oppo is no more.

41 - 60 of 2299 Posts