AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1196 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
What do you guys think of the stereo music performance of this one, compared to stereo equipment in the same price range?

To be more specific, in comparison to other systems like NAD M10, NAD C388 and Lyngdorf TDAI-1120/2170

The C388 + HDMI module + BluOS module costs almost the same as the T778, so if the stereo music performance is the same, the extra price of the big touch screen and the 9 channels + atmos support comes at "almost no cost".

The M10 cost also kind of the same as T778, apparently has the same software and touch screen, but in T778 you get more power, 9 channels instead of 2, dolby atmos and RIAA input. So unless M10 really sounds a lot better, you get much more bang for the buck in T778.

The Lyngdorf TDAI-1120/2170 is not directly comparable due to having another software/streaming platform than BluOS, (no app/streaming on 2170) and also RoomPerfect which should be superior til Dirac, but if someone has heard these machines in a comparison, I'd like to know :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
What do you guys think of the stereo music performance of this one, compared to stereo equipment in the same Price range
Previously I had a high-end Onkyo from 2006 and a NAD C 275 BEE to beef up the stereo and drive my big Klipsch speakers.

now with the NAD 778 and also the 275 for the Front Speakers, I can honestly see no real difference.. even with MQA files from Tidal..
There is also a huge difference for me between Dirac on and off.. off being better for me in Stereo..
Don’t get me wrong, the sound is as good as what i had before in stereo, but i thought MQA would nudge the quality up a bit..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Previously I had a high-end Onkyo from 2006 and a NAD C 275 BEE to beef up the stereo and drive my big Klipsch speakers.

now with the NAD 778 and also the 275 for the Front Speakers, I can honestly see no real difference.. even with MQA files from Tidal..
There is also a huge difference for me between Dirac on and off.. off being better for me in Stereo..
Don’t get me wrong, the sound is as good as what i had before in stereo, but i thought MQA would nudge the quality up a bit..
Thanks for your response. Did you test without the NAD for the fronts? I was planning to just use the output stage of the T778 for my front speakers. It's not surprising that you don't hear a different when using the same power amp as before :-D

I've heard others also talking about that they prefer to switch Dirac off - in opposition to RoomPerfect, which people generally prefer to have on. To make my own conclusion, I think that it means that RoomPerfect is superior to Dirac and makes a real positive difference.

Regarding MQA, I don't really see the point in that format. It's just a 96/24 bit format, where everything above 48khz/17bits is lossy compressed - but it takes up space as a 48/24 stream. I'd prefer just the real deal, a 96/24 FLAC stream if I wanted to listen to things above CD quality.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Returned my faulty one. Bought a denon x4700h (hdmi2.1) and a LG oled 65GX for the same price! Sure in stereo it sounds a little less but I will wait for a v2 of this kit.

Screen is awesome

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
For stereo performance, I can only compare the NAD to my previous Denon 4308Ci. Frankly, the Denon was woeful. The NAD has a much clearer sound, and with Dirac enabled I can tone down the aggressive higher frequencies, without losing too much accuracy.

When comparing the surround ability of both, the Denon sounded ‘lazy’ compared to the NAD. I really liked the Denon’s warmth (took me a long time to get the NAD’s frequency curve to the same point), but channel steering was awful in comparison.

Dirac is a no brainer. The way it positions things in space is phenomenal. But the target curve setup will consume a huge amount of your time... be warned!

·
Registered
86 Posts
T778 is a nightmare(For the daft).

This is turning into a nightmare after hours of work.This surround game is not for the daft

On my T778 and Hegel this is how i have it all setup.Hegel H360 is only to drive my front Dynaudios

This is how i have everything setup

First HDMI cable goes from PC to to HDMI 1 of NAD

Second HDMI cable goes from NAD HDMI out to TV's HDMI 1

The Hegel's "home theater" inputs connect to the NAD's "front out" using an RCA Cable

My front dynaudios speakers are connected to the Hegel, all the other speakers are connected to the NAD

4 ceilings =2 front 2 behind and rear Tannoys and centre are connected on on the NAD as follows

Center = center speaker

Surround L Surround R = pair of Tannoy

Surround B L, Surround B R = The pair of Monitor Audios closest to the ceiling behind me

HT L, HT R = The pair of Monitor Audios closest to the ceiling to the front of you

On page 15 speaker set-up: set all the speakers to large, except the 4 Monitor Audio height speakers should be set to small and crossover to 80 hz

BUT as my luck will have it these are the results.i have a feeling i have somehow just selected the wrong source on NAD? But i have no idea where that is.

Below mute on remote is SURR MODE.i use that to get these results

In dolby surround all i get is centre channel(Source 1)

Neural X centre only and gets louder

EARS still only centre channel

Enhanced stereo all come on but my Front Dyns connected to my Hegel

Stereo i get no sound

Tho my Hegel is on i get NO sound from my Dyns at all

Please advise

·
Registered
86 Posts
T778 is a nightmare(For the daft).

This is turning into a nightmare after hours of work.This surround game is not for the daft

On my T778 and Hegel this is how i have it all setup.Hegel H360 is only to drive my front Dynaudios

This is how i have everything setup

First HDMI cable goes from PC to to HDMI 1 of NAD

Second HDMI cable goes from NAD HDMI out to TV's HDMI 1

The Hegel's "home theater" inputs connect to the NAD's "front out" using an RCA Cable

My front dynaudios speakers are connected to the Hegel, all the other speakers are connected to the NAD

4 ceilings =2 front 2 behind and rear Tannoys and centre are connected on on the NAD as follows

Center = center speaker

Surround L Surround R = pair of Tannoy

Surround B L, Surround B R = The pair of Monitor Audios closest to the ceiling behind me

HT L, HT R = The pair of Monitor Audios closest to the ceiling to the front of you

On page 15 speaker set-up: set all the speakers to large, except the 4 Monitor Audio height speakers should be set to small and crossover to 80 hz

BUT as my luck will have it these are the results.i have a feeling i have somehow just selected the wrong source on NAD? But i have no idea where that is.

Below mute on remote is SURR MODE.i use that to get these results

In dolby surround all i get is centre channel(Source 1)

Neural X centre only and gets louder

EARS still only centre channel

Enhanced stereo all come on but my Front Dyns connected to my Hegel

Stereo i get no sound

Tho my Hegel is on i get NO sound from my Dyns at all

Please advise
i also cannot use my pc to TV unless the NAD is on(Edit that issue is solved now by
setting HDMI/CEC/LAN Standby is set ON in the control setup menu)

All the othere and below is still unsolved

Also when NAD is off i get no sound from my Hegel(With NAD on or off)

·
Registered
NAD T 778
4 Posts
That’s really unfortunate to hear. Mine arrived at my local Best Buy today, after waiting since March. I’ve been looking forward to Dirac and a next level up AVR.

However, after reading all of the issue people are reporting (over heating, popping on input changes, Dirac slot issues, etc), I’m contemplating waiting another year to upgrade from my Denon x5200, which I dislike because it doesn’t support HDCP 2.2.
I took the plunge and picked up my T 778 on Friday. The only issue I have is the popping sound on input changes and sometimes startup, but it's not terrible. I have noticed that Dirac reverts to OFF when I change inputs or start the unit vs. last used - but I assume that's as expected.

Now it's time to learn how to use Dirac, which is quite the undertaking for a novice / audiophile in waiting. The latest version of the Dirac app doesn't seem to match up with the tutorials I am finding (doesn't show green vs red on each channel) and I had to crank up the volume very high, just to get things to register. I'll be armed with my UMIK-1 and boom by this weekend for further configurations and tweaks. I suspect I'll be at this for about as long as I waited for the unit to arrive!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i suspect i will have night terrors over trying to suss Dirac.The many videos i see really tell me its over my head

But 1st i have even more beginners issues i need to solve

i hope you the best mate This surround game is not like bringing 2 speakers acd player and an amp home lol

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
I don't think running Dirac itself is that hard. It's integrating subwoofers and optimizing bass response that makes things more complicated. That's also true of other systems, but since Dirac gives you more control and doesn't hold your hand, that is where more time is spent.

I recommend starting with a UMIK-1 right off and not wasting any time with the included puck mic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think running Dirac itself is that hard. It's integrating subwoofers and optimizing bass response that makes things more complicated.... I recommend starting with a UMIK-1 right off and not wasting any time with the included puck mic.
Agreed. But what’s wrong with the puck mic? Mine seemed to work fine...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ve finally received a newer unit, serial number 021xx and the popping is still present.

Not sure if I’m going to live with it or not yet or wait until more receivers come out later in the year.

In terms of the puck mic... I have measurements saved with that and received a UMIK-1 the other day so will compare soon. I figured if you’re spending so muchon an AV already might as well spend a little more and get the best measurements you can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This guide has been posted before, and it helped me immensely.

I use the +6db bass curves for movies and a bit less for TV.

I absolutely LOVE my T778. I've had it since June, and have had no issues. Went from Dirac Live 3.0.0 to the latest, and what I thought was a bad speaker tweeter went away, and my all over calibration seems even better. It's a beast, the sound is immersive, and I would recommend it do anyone with a high class in mind. I also use the UMIK-1.

If you have to low volume, please try and change to another usb-port in the laptop/computer. And restart Dirac Live. I've only used it on a PC, no my phone. Don't extend the USB cable. I've tried both and the noise measurement right from the start is wrong.

Only minor bug when switching to TV, as my Sony X90F doesn’t seem to give the proper audio return signal. So I have no audio. Guess it's as much the TVs fault as it could be the NAD. Sometime it works, but most of the times I just power of the NAD - and have TV audio from TV.
Using it with a PC, Nvidia Shield Pro for Netflix, HBO and Disney+, and the kids Nintendo Switch.

It's easy to get a bad impression about the T778 when you through this thread. But people come with questions and troubles, less offend with their success stories.

I LOVE the NAD T778.
Serial ends with 1487 - bought in Denmark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your response. Did you test without the NAD for the fronts? I was planning to just use the output stage of the T778 for my front speakers. It's not surprising that you don't hear a different when using the same power amp as before :-D

I've heard others also talking about that they prefer to switch Dirac off - in opposition to RoomPerfect, which people generally prefer to have on. To make my own conclusion, I think that it means that RoomPerfect is superior to Dirac and makes a real positive difference.

Regarding MQA, I don't really see the point in that format. It's just a 96/24 bit format, where everything above 48khz/17bits is lossy compressed - but it takes up space as a 48/24 stream. I'd prefer just the real deal, a 96/24 FLAC stream if I wanted to listen to things above CD quality.
I just ordered the T778 to replace an ageing Denon reciver. In my current setup I already have the NAD C275BEE for my fronts and I was planning on using this together with the T778. Are you saying that you would rather rely on the T778 also for the fronts? (If I didn't already have the 275 i would not have invested in it at this stage without first thoroughly testing the capabilities of the T778 alone, but as I already have the 275 I figuerd combining them will be the optimal setup...)

·
Registered
29 Posts
How do you guys go about your stereo setup for music? I’m so pleased with Dirac Live for movies, but I miss the punch with music and stereo in 2.0.
I know the enhanced stereo is hated by some, but the whole music lives up - the rooms fill much more and the bass and punch is so much better.
I feel my 2.0 is kind flat, and I’ve used the +6db curve. Do I just need to put in +10db bass, or what curves do you use for stereo for a much bigger impact. I use Tidal Masters or Spotify Hifi.

·
Premium Member
Integra DTR40.3, Monitor Gold 60, Oppo, Xbox X, PS4 Pro, TIVO HD Premier and SONY 400 Mega Disc
11 Posts
Hello Everyone
I have be looking at the NAD T 778 to upgrade my system and use Dirac with Bass Control Multi Sub. I dislike Audyssey it never sounds good.
My current system consist of 5.1 (Integra DTR 40.3, Monitor Audio Gold 60 LCR and Bronze 6T rear and Klipsch 12 Sub ) to 7.2.4 (Monitor Audio Gold 60 LCR, Bronze 6T rear, Side Surrounds Monitor Audio CP-CT380, Height Speakers 4 Monitor Audio CP-CT260 and Dual Subs SVS SB-3000. Room Size is (12ft H X 16ft W and 18.5ft L).
Should I steer clear of this unit? If so what would you recommend even if it is a different brand?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello Everyone
I have be looking at the NAD T 778 to upgrade my system and use Dirac with Bass Control Multi Sub. I dislike Audyssey it never sounds good.
My current system consist of 5.1 (Integra DTR 40.3, Monitor Audio Gold 60 LCR and Bronze 6T rear and Klipsch 12 Sub ) to 7.2.4 (Monitor Audio Gold 60 LCR, Bronze 6T rear, Side Surrounds Monitor Audio CP-CT380, Height Speakers 4 Monitor Audio CP-CT260 and Dual Subs SVS SB-3000. Room Size is (12ft H X 16ft W and 18.5ft L).
Should I steer clear of this unit? If so what would you recommend even if it is a different brand?

This unit does not have the Dirac Live Bass Control and it certainly won't have the ability to independently control multiple subs because the sub outs are run in parallel.

1141 - 1160 of 1196 Posts