AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1210 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello Everyone
I have be looking at the NAD T 778 to upgrade my system and use Dirac with Bass Control Multi Sub. I dislike Audyssey it never sounds good.
My current system consist of 5.1 (Integra DTR 40.3, Monitor Audio Gold 60 LCR and Bronze 6T rear and Klipsch 12 Sub ) to 7.2.4 (Monitor Audio Gold 60 LCR, Bronze 6T rear, Side Surrounds Monitor Audio CP-CT380, Height Speakers 4 Monitor Audio CP-CT260 and Dual Subs SVS SB-3000. Room Size is (12ft H X 16ft W and 18.5ft L).
Should I steer clear of this unit? If so what would you recommend even if it is a different brand?
In this price range there is only HTP-1 that handles Dirac-BM correctly and is also reliable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How do you guys go about your stereo setup for music? I’m so pleased with Dirac Live for movies, but I miss the punch with music and stereo in 2.0.
I know the enhanced stereo is hated by some, but the whole music lives up - the rooms fill much more and the bass and punch is so much better.
I feel my 2.0 is kind flat, and I’ve used the +6db curve. Do I just need to put in +10db bass, or what curves do you use for stereo for a much bigger impact. I use Tidal Masters or Spotify Hifi.
My 2.1 stereo music sounds the best it ever has with the T778 and Dirac. Plenty of punch. I’m using the 6 dB curve that I modified to be down 3 dB at 20K beginning at about 160 Hz and a straight line to 20K. But that’s just how I like it in that room with my speakers. What did the T778 replace that gave you more punch and a more enjoyable stereo sound?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

Is there a way to disable all speakers except the sub? And route all low frequency signals to the sub? Ideally make a preset out of it?

I have a 7.1.2 setup and I'd like to be able to sometimes complement my VR gaming (basically headphone connected to the computer) with low thumps from the pb4000 sub. Computer is hooked up to the NAD over HDMI.

I was able to disable all speakers except the sub for a brief time period and it wasn't stable, using enhanced stereo configuration, where all speakers except the sub are turned off in the enhanced stereo menu. But this was not stable, looked a bit buggy and I wasn't able to reach it again in a predictable way.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, sorry if this has been mentioned before, I did a quick scan through from page 35 onwards and didn't see anything.

Aussie's had our annual V8 Supercar event yesterday which is held at Bathurst, big day, long race. I seldom watch free-to-air TV on my HT system but given this race it was on full blast. Soon as I turned it on I was getting audio drops every few moments, at first I thought it was just bad coverage however listening to the TV audio directly it was perfect. I checked a different channel and that was OK, tried another HD channel and same thing. Weird. I played with all the output ARC settings on the TV and thought I fixed it. Anyway after the race I adjusted a few settings and was able to consistently bring back the audio drop and make it go away. My findings are as follows, If the NAD isn't outputting any video signal from either itself or another source I was getting the audio drops on only HD channels (not sure why that would be different?). As soon as I put up the OSD (even though the TV isn't showing it) or choose my Shield input the audio drops go away. If you have a moment and have terrestrial digital HD TV maybe you could see if your NAD does this too. When I get a chance I'll post a quick video of it happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, sorry if this has been mentioned before, I did a quick scan through from page 35 onwards and didn't see anything.

Aussie's had our annual V8 Supercar event yesterday which is held at Bathurst, big day, long race. I seldom watch free-to-air TV on my HT system but given this race it was on full blast. Soon as I turned it on I was getting audio drops every few moments, at first I thought it was just bad coverage however listening to the TV audio directly it was perfect. I checked a different channel and that was OK, tried another HD channel and same thing. Weird. I played with all the output ARC settings on the TV and thought I fixed it. Anyway after the race I adjusted a few settings and was able to consistently bring back the audio drop and make it go away. My findings are as follows, If the NAD isn't outputting any video signal from either itself or another source I was getting the audio drops on only HD channels (not sure why that would be different?). As soon as I put up the OSD (even though the TV isn't showing it) or choose my Shield input the audio drops go away. If you have a moment and have terrestrial digital HD TV maybe you could see if your NAD does this too. When I get a chance I'll post a quick video of it happening.
I watched the Bledisloe Cup on Ten HD last week with no issues or audio drops.

Sony TV -> NAD via eARC.

I have nothing else connected to the NAD (all sources go via the Sony TV).

Samsung TV issue? Is it using ARC or eARC?
Check the audio format on the HD channels. I think they are DD and not PCM.
Cable issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2.1 stereo music sounds the best it ever has with the T778 and Dirac. Plenty of punch. I’m using the 6 dB curve that I modified to be down 3 dB at 20K beginning at about 160 Hz and a straight line to 20K. But that’s just how I like it that room with my speakers.
Sound to me if you're running a 'none clean' 2.0 with both fronts as large and with the sub. Therefore 2.1?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Samsung TV issue? Is it using ARC or eARC?
Check the audio format on the HD channels. I think they are DD and not PCM.
Cable issue?
Thanks for the reply. Don't think its related to the cable since everything else works fine. The output was 2CH PCM from the HD Channel I'm pretty sure. Was only ARC - I have only seen eARC from Netflix or Plex (when the Samsung is the source). I'll try another amp with ARC and that should isolate if its the TV or the NAD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your response. Did you test without the NAD for the fronts? I was planning to just use the output stage of the T778 for my front speakers. It's not surprising that you don't hear a different when using the same power amp as before :-D

I've heard others also talking about that they prefer to switch Dirac off - in opposition to RoomPerfect, which people generally prefer to have on. To make my own conclusion, I think that it means that RoomPerfect is superior to Dirac and makes a real positive difference.

Regarding MQA, I don't really see the point in that format. It's just a 96/24 bit format, where everything above 48khz/17bits is lossy compressed - but it takes up space as a 48/24 stream. I'd prefer just the real deal, a 96/24 FLAC stream if I wanted to listen to things above CD quality.
Actually the Nad C 275 bee has better THD ratings than the T778 and the preamp output of the T778 is also better..
In the meantime I got myself an Umik1 did complete narrow measurements with the mic plugged into a Mac (instead of the Nad) and the 2.0 sound is much better now with Dirac on..
Also it seems that the newer Dirac 3.0.9 has Enhanced Phase Correction algorithms for improved stereo reproduction ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sound to me if you're running a 'none clean' 2.0 with both fronts as large and with the sub. Therefore 2.1?
The fronts are set as Small so they crossover to the sub at 100 Hz, in my case. Your speakers may need a different crossover frequency.

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
317 Posts
Anyone updated their T778 firmware to the latest BluOS v3.12.2?

Since I got a currently stable experience with the T778, I'm worried that this update might break certain things. Anyone updated and are discovering new issues that weren't a problem with the previous update?

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
Lg 77c9, NAD T778, UB9000, Parasound A53+ Parasound A23+, BW 702s2, BW HTM71S2, BW 706S2, SVS SB3000
6 Posts
All good here. No issues with new update.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No new issues here so far.
Same here.
All good here. No issues with new update.
Thank you very much for the updates. Have made the move to update myself. No issues so far as well. 😊

With the issues such as missing Dirac profiles ironed out, it's been pretty much smooth sailing. Turn on the TV and AVR, whatever input is fed to it, it automatically changes to the desired processing that you've stated in the settings. eARC works well with my LG C9 partnered with the RTX 3090. I rarely have to touch the remote other than to change the volume. It just works. Been a good experience so far with the only issue being that 'pop' I'm hearing when I turn on the NAD T778 or when the TV turns on when the T778 is already turned on.
Hopefully the issue I used to have where an amplifier inside the T778 fails will not return over these next few months and hopefully, forever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone updated their T778 firmware to the latest BluOS v3.12.2?

Since I got a currently stable experience with the T778, I'm worried that this update might break certain things. Anyone updated and are discovering new issues that weren't a problem with the previous update?
No issues, only thing is to also update the BluOS app if you are controlling it via your phone.. noticed that my preferred music services were gone before I updated the iOS app.. ;)
Once updated all was fine..

1161 - 1180 of 1210 Posts