AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1296 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I received my T778 yesterday. I have been playing with it a bit, so far I am quite content. There are a lot of quirks that I'm not used to yet, but that may just take some time.

A question. Does the fan on your T778 always run?

From the first moment I turned the amp on, the fan started spinning. After all updates, a power cycle etc. it still spins. The status screen says 1.000 rpm. Unfortunately it's audible in the room. It's not particularly hot in my house and the amp is freestanding at the moment. The fan also spins even when the amp has been off for some time, so it can't be hot inside.

Is it normal that the fan is always spinning?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is only on occasionally, on power on, power off, and only rarely during playback. Only for like 10 seconds.
How much space is around your AVR?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone running the T 778 with a LS50 speaker set up?
[/QUOTE]

Im running the 778 with the ls50 meta version - this is my 2nd day with the 778 - it was wobbly yesterday - but the focus and separation still came thru. today it sounds more consistent and this coming from a person who never in his wildest dreams thought an av receiver would sound as good or better than the many integrateds and separates that i have had over the years

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you please explain? :unsure:
meaning on listening to music on cd and downloaded on a thumb drive - the sound was wobbly - not put together - good in spots and bad in others - no consistent tone - no consistent rhythm - no real imaging, etc - etc

but today the unit started to sing - all is well - (good break -in time)

lets see how i feel a month from now

·
Registered
33 Posts
lets see how i feel a month from now
Dont forget to calibrate with Dirac Live (see guide) - amazing difference.

Quick question regarding Dirac Live - is it true that you can't choose "Bass Control" with the T778? I feel like having a good seat to seat bass, but always fun to play with new stuff like "Full Bass Optimisation". Maybe I overlooked it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dont forget to calibrate with Dirac Live (see guide) - amazing difference.

Quick question regarding Dirac Live - is it true that you can't choose "Bass Control" with the T778? I feel like having a good seat to seat bass, but always fun to play with new stuff like "Full Bass Optimisation". Maybe I overlooked it.
i will calibrate tomorrow - thanks for the reminder

·
Registered
13,567 Posts
Careful. Even a minor sound delay through each speaker because one cable is shorter than the other or because of the cable's resistance being different from one another or both can play a part in making you have this weird inconsistent tone, and the lack of directional imaging as well as a weird sound stage.
Common cable lengths (and resistance) don't affect imaging. A strong room reflection on the other hand could.

Reactions: Lonestar1027

·
Registered
422 Posts
Why does wire length not matter? Because current moves through copper wire near the speed of light.
Even DIRAC isn't that precise... ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Received speakers and could test new 778 more. Seeing issue with current gen Apple TV navigation that may point to bigger issue with digital input signals.

If I quickly cycle through icons on the main screen, I get standard beepy bop. But if I pause for a few seconds and continue, I get soft thump on the first swipe right.
The CSR person was very nice and said that they had reported similar issue to engineering previously. There does not appear to be any plans to fix or provide an option "to disable this muting feature."
Have you ever been able to solve this problem?

My brand new T778 also displays this behaviour. Slowly moving through the menus on my media player (which should make little beeps on each move), results in muted beeps and pops through the speakers. Very annoying.
As if after a second of silence, the amp immediately goes into standby which then takes a moment to get out of. It would be OK for me if it mutes after 30/60 secs or something, but not immediately like it does now.

edit: I have also asked the customer service about this behaviour.

·
Registered
13,567 Posts
Have you ever been able to solve this problem?

My brand new T778 also displays this behaviour. Slowly moving through the menus on my media player (which should make little beeps on each move), results in muted beeps and pops through the speakers. Very annoying.
As if after a second of silence, the amp immediately goes into standby which then takes a moment to get out of. It would be OK for me if it mutes after 30/60 secs or something, but not immediately like it does now.

edit: I have also asked the customer service about this behaviour.
Typical muting issues. The AVR/P does this on purpose to prevent unwanted loud noises to reach the speakers. On the downside the beginning of sounds get cut off. There's better ways to handle this (see HTP-1 for an example).

1181 - 1200 of 1296 Posts