AVS Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1927 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone else have a problem with settings for you source not sticking? I have to change them several times before they seem to stick. Having no luck with the BlueOS source right now.

It will not let me choose a DSP slot, says my speaker config changed. I have to go to speaker setup and turn off the surrounds which I have disconnected for the moment due to a renovation. I ran Dirac with just LCR and saved it to slot 1. Loads fine with Apple TV and Tivo source but not BlueOS. I have to reconfigure the speaker setup every time. I wish there was a "save" button or something, the settings are very confusing. Not to mention the AV Presets save and load settings, I have no idea what those do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go to your source settings and check if the preset number is the same for Apple TV as it is for BluOS. Then make sure the BluOS preset number is the same.

Each source can have its own preset setting, with each preset having different speakers, DSP settings etc. On the preset settings themselves you can set them to remember speakers config, DSP config, LCD config etc.

So for example, I configured 5.1 with LCD off... went to preset 1 and saved. I then configured 2.0 with LCD on VU meters... went to preset 2 and saved. I then set source 1 (Apple TV) to use preset 1 and source 6 (BluOS) to use preset 2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, new 778 owner here. Dealer installed yesterday, and first thing I noticed is--you guessed it--popping sound when switching inputs and even navigating the menu in Apple TV (if my wife notices it, you know it's an issue). I was hoping this problem would be fixed before I jumped into NAD World, but I guess not. :-( No idea when my unit was manufactured.

Thanks....
I had AppleTV4K before the NAD, and the AppleTV4K was responsible for popping sound on its own.
May be when switching from 24/50/60p...(don't know)

My NAD T778 is from October.
No poping sound on startup nor when switching source.
BUT POPPING SOUND WHEN POWERED OFF (and only in this case).

·
Registered
647 Posts
The BJC LC-1 subwoofer cable with all-metal Taversoe crimp RCA plugs eliminated all subwoofer hum for us (SVS SB-2000 subwoofer).

Another vote for BJC - they are very well constructed, made to measure cables - not cheap, but reasonable :love:
I just ordered a couple of new ones as I have moved some things around and my current "under the floor cable" is not long enough - no hesitation going back to Blue Jeans.
Regards, Mike.

Also using twin SB2000 and single SB13 Ultra :cool: - forgot how much my suspended floor shakes, until I started taking new REW measurements ready for MSO processing:giggle:

·
Registered
35 Posts
So the AV Presets remember all the settings for each source I see. That helps a ton, thanks!
Go to your source settings and check if the preset number is the same for Apple TV as it is for BluOS. Then make sure the BluOS preset number is the same.

Each source can have its own preset setting, with each preset having different speakers, DSP settings etc. On the preset settings themselves you can set them to remember speakers config, DSP config, LCD config etc.

So for example, I configured 5.1 with LCD off... went to preset 1 and saved. I then configured 2.0 with LCD on VU meters... went to preset 2 and saved. I then set source 1 (Apple TV) to use preset 1 and source 6 (BluOS) to use preset 2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How do you change inputs using the remote? This remote is confusing !!
It's the numbers! That was totally confusing to me, too. On my remote, 6 is BluOS, and you can set up anything else how you want it in the menu.

Setting up this bad boy was not intuitive in any way, especially the wi-fi. Unlike the Denon this replaced (which was fully self-contained both for Audyssey and network settings), you must use a phone/PC/tablet with the BluOS app and the Dirac Live app to connect to a network and do the room correction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
WHAT’S NEW
This is an action-packed release, with many new features and enhancements including:

• Support for SiriusXM (USA / CANADA) and SiriusXM Music for Business.
  • Support for Spotify Free.
  • Support for Radio Paradise MQA stations. These stations are only available on BluOS Players.
  • Roon improvements for grouping and signal path reporting. Roon certification for the NAD M33 and T 778.
  • New Play Queue design for iOS and Android users.
  • Better error handling of file permissions on the VAULT/M50.
  • Other miscellaneous bug fixes and updates.
Introducing BluOS 3.14.2 – The BluOS Support Crew

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can connect my Mac Mini to the NAD through an external DAC (USB to Qutest DAC, 2 channel analog cables to NAD). The Mac Mini can alternatively send out the signal through Apple Airplay going directly into the t778. If I do the Airplay, where is the digital file decoded? In the Mac, or in the NAD?

BTW, resolution is not a concern with this old Mac Mini because it can't put out anything more than CD quality through the USB. So it's the same resolution whether over USB/DAC or Airplay. But which processor is decoding the digital stream in Airplay?

ETA: I have discovered one drawback of using Airplay... the music will not go to Zone 2 (my kitchen). Only analog inputs go to Zone 2, so if I want to keep that feature I have to keep the Mac playing through the DAC to analog inputs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi

Was the "Rhye distortion" issue (small speaker PCM clipping) fixed already? I'm experiencing it on my NAD C658 since last FW update. NAD has confirmed it and said it will be fixed in the next FW, but no timeline yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

Was the "Rhye distortion" issue (small speaker PCM clipping) fixed already? I'm experiencing it on my NAD C658 since last FW update. NAD has confirmed it and said it will be fixed in the next FW, but no timeline yet.

Thanks
Fix still hasn't been released to the public, god knows why. Chased them for an update a couple of months ago and they closed my ticket without even acknowledging the issue, despite having previously confirmed a fix was coming.

When did they tell you the fix was coming in the next FW? I was told the same thing in the summer of 2020... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fix still hasn't been released to the public, god knows why. Chased them for an update a couple of months ago and they closed my ticket without even acknowledging the issue, despite having previously confirmed a fix was coming.

When did they tell you the fix was coming in the next FW? I was told the same thing in the summer of 2020...
First they told me QA is aware of it but no timeline for FW fix, but after I sent them one more example with a different album, they told me that the issue is limited to some hot tracks which were poorly mastered and that I should reduce the input gain (not possible!) or lower the Dirac Live overall target curve to add extra headroom if I insists on listening to the the "hot" tracks... In other words, they have no plans on fixing it.

Denon already fixed the issue on their X?600H line of AVRs such as the X3600H which was also affected by this bass management bug... Their X?700H are not affeced by this. I hear that Arcam also released a FW fix over 8 months ago.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
First they told me QA is aware of it but no timeline for FW fix, but after I sent them one more example with a different album, they told me that the issue is limited to some hot tracks which were poorly mastered and that I should reduce the input gain (not possible!) or lower the Dirac Live overall target curve to add extra headroom if I insists on listening to the the "hot" tracks... In other words, they have no plans on fixing it.

Denon already fixed the issue on their X?600H line of AVRs such as the X3600H which was also affected by this bass management bug... Their X?700H are not affeced by this. I hear that Arcam also released a FW fix over 8 months ago.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing your experience with them. Infuriating that they aren't taking it seriously, and insulting that they're suggesting "solutions" which don't work, or even make any sense given the DSP pathway employed in these AVRs.

I first noticed the bug on another track as well - the beginning of "Limit To Your Love" by James Blake. I'm not simply going out of my way to find faults; I noticed a problem with my usual library of music. I don't even use the streaming capabilities of the T778 because there is no way to change to surround decoding instead of stereo with this input. I don't want to get paranoid every time I hear a crackle when I listen to music, wondering whether it's present in the source material or if it's a result of the distortion bug.

Interesting to hear that Denon have fixed it on the X?600H series - I returned the X3600H I had because I found the same bug with it. Did they communicate to customers regarding the issue? At the time I was told by die-hard Denon fans on AVS that it simply wasn't a problem. Not sure why people go out of their way to defend manufacturers' faulty products...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like that Radio Paradise that was added in the new firmware. It's not something that I would regularly listen to, because it's kind of random music, but it sounds very nice and the song choices are often of real demonstration quality. A cappella, breezy guitars, that stuff. Nice to use to show off our audio toys. :D

Another update that I like is: On my machine Spotify (Premium) is now much more stable. Often when I used my remote to start Bluos after I used another source, it would not reconnect to Spotify Connect and I needed to use my phone or the touch screen to get it to work again. But now it reconnects 100% of the time when I start Bluos with my remote control. Very nice. Much more user friendly. (And it should have worked out of the box tbh.)

I have one nitpick with the new firmware. The "dark mode" LCD setting apparently no longer works with Bluos. The background is no longer black but now mimicks the album art colour. Changing the setting to off and on again didn't help. I haven't tried resetting the unit altogether because that's too much work. It's not a major problem but still slightly annoying. Anyone else have the same issue?

Edit: The dark mode seemingly only fails when the LCD is set to "cover art and meta data". Strange.

Reactions: Taxvictim
1881 - 1900 of 1927 Posts