AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two months after moving into a new home I have my dream living room home theatre setup. After weeks of research and consulting with Lee Weber (owner of Boston HiFi and Next Level Acoustics speaker line and author of many blu-ray reviews on AVSForums) I was finally ready to pull the trigger on all my equipment.

Below is a list of my equipment. I’m happy with all of it but most impressed with my Next Level Acoustic LCRs and subwoofer. www.nextlevelacoustics.com

TV: LG OLED65B6P

Receiver: Yamaha Aventage RX-A860

LCR: Next Level Acoustics CI-IC44A

http://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/ci-ic44a/

Surrounds/Rear Surrounds: Beale Street ICA6-BB

Subwoofer: Next Level Acoustics CI-HV10

http://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/ci-iw10-12/

There are plenty of aspects about my setup that are not ideal (television mounted above fireplace, in-ceiling speakers, first floor open floor plan, number of windows, etc.) but believe me when I tell you regardless of all of that, this setup rocks. I ended up choosing in-ceiling angled speakers due to my wife’s requirement of not making our living room ugly (which she defines as being able to see speakers, period). The Next Level Acoustic CI-IC44A have a 20 degree down angle and optional white cloth grill that blends into our ceiling very well. Most visitors don’t even notice there are speakers there until we point it out. Or perhaps they see the subwoofer in the corner and start looking around for speakers. Shockingly my wife finds it to have an attractive style so I didn’t have to go with a wireless kit and hide it behind the couch.

After the install I had Jeff Meier @umr of AccuCal come to my house for an advanced home theatre calibration of both audio and video. Most people in this community know his name and the incredible work he does and as expected he made sure my setup was performing at its peak capability. I noticed a huge improvement in the audio from his work and he was impressed with the sound. If you spend a decent amount of money on an audio setup you should absolutely let him work his magic on it (plus he’s just a cool guy to hang out with).

I am by no means an expert audiophile and I have no affiliation with this company, but I highly recommend you look into this speaker line for your next setup. I’ve had several audiophile friends with Triad and similar level speakers tell me how amazing my LCRs and sub sound. At a much lower price point it felt pretty great to hear them say we're playing in the same league. They all commented on the great clarity and lack of distortion and nobody believed that it was only a 10 inch subwoofer. Make sure to check out the website for the high velocity sub, it uses a two-chamber tuning system which has benefits over standard sealed and vented designs. I’ve started watching all of my favorite movies again since it’s a completely different experience. I can hear things I never heard before – clear dialogue during loud action scenes, subtle gunfire in the distance, leaves rustling in the wind, etc. I’ve turned up the volume as far as I can until it becomes painful and I’ve yet to hear any distortion.

Anyways, I wanted to get the word out here since I didn’t see any threads about it yet. They have several series with multiple in-ceiling, in-wall, and subwoofer options. All of the tech specs are on the website and I’m sure the owner will see this at some point and be able to answer specific questions. If anybody is local in MA and would be interested in hearing them, send me a PM, but I would also assume @Lee Weber has them on display at his Boston HiFi shop in Needham, MA.

·
Registered
382 Posts
About three months ago after buying an LG OLED65E6P TV and upgrading my Onkyo AVR to a Yamaha Aventage RX-3060, I decided to upgrade my 5.1 in-wall speaker system as well. I had a reasonable Paradigm AMS system – in-wall LCR and surrounds and a Martin Logan Grotto i sub, but thought the sound could be better. I started going to AV stores and reading forum posts – had it narrowed down to Polk or Definitive Technology in-walls and maybe an SVS or PSA sub. I posted asking for opinions, and Lee Weber responded saying that I could do better by considering Next Level Acoustics speakers. I checked Lee’s other posts and his Yelp ratings in Boston and was impressed with his knowledge and the ease with which he talked about technological aspects of speakers, so decided to find out more about Next Level Acoustic speakers. I went to their website (www.nextlevelacoustics.com) and read the review of one of their systems on the CEPro website: http://www.cepro.com/article/next_level_acoustics_enters_market_to_take_on_the_establishment. I liked what I read, and my conversations, first with Lee and later with Rob Goldman at Next Level Acoustics, were remarkable. Lee and Rob listened to my needs, worked with me on customizing the speakers to fit our walls and stud placements, and were unbelievably responsive to my many questions. After several phone calls and a lot of emails, I decided to go ahead an order a 5.1 system from Next Level Acoustics.

Here’s what I ordered:

LCR: Next Level Acoustics CI-IW55 with upgraded CI-IWHDMON tweeters
https://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/ci-iw44-55/#tab-id-2

Surrounds: Next Level Acoustics CI-IWSUR6.1 Tri-Array Surrounds
https://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/ci-iwsur/#tab-id-1

Subwoofer: Next Level Acoustics CI-HV10
https://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/ci-iw10-12/

I received the speakers a couple of weeks ago, and it is clear that this was the best speaker decision I’ve ever made. These are *solid* speakers – MUCH more substantial than my Paradigms, which I thought were very good speakers. They’re baffled (unlike the Pardigms) with magnetic grills (cloth grills were an option, but I wanted the grills to match the frames and the walls and, indeed, Next Level Acoustics matched the frames and grills to our paint codes and they are a perfect match to our walls. The sound is simply amazing. Dialogue is crystal clear, even during the loudest action scenes. And the sub is so much more responsive than the Martin Logan Grotto i – perhaps not surprising given its two-chamber tuning system. Listening to music through these speakers is a joy – the sound is stunningly crisp and clean.

I’ve had audiophile friends come over to hear the system and the most repeated comparison is to Triad gold speakers – but considerably less expensive and custom fit to my needs!

I’m attaching a few bad pictures (the reflections show how nice the finish of these speakers and sub is), but they really are beautiful speakers. I have no affiliation with the company, just a very happy customer!

Happy to answer any questions.
Ian

Attachments

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,564 Posts
I am by no means an expert audiophile and I have no affiliation with this company, but I highly recommend you look into this speaker line for your next setup. I’ve had several audiophile friends with Triad and similar level speakers tell me how amazing my LCRs and sub sound. At a much lower price point it felt pretty great to hear them say we're playing in the same league. They all commented on the great clarity and lack of distortion and nobody believed that it was only a 10 inch subwoofer. Make sure to check out the website for the high velocity sub, it uses a two-chamber tuning system which has benefits over standard sealed and vented designs. I’ve started watching all of my favorite movies again since it’s a completely different experience. I can hear things I never heard before – clear dialogue during loud action scenes, subtle gunfire in the distance, leaves rustling in the wind, etc. I’ve turned up the volume as far as I can until it becomes painful and I’ve yet to hear any distortion.

Anyways, I wanted to get the word out here since I didn’t see any threads about it yet. They have several series with multiple in-ceiling, in-wall, and subwoofer options. All of the tech specs are on the website and I’m sure the owner will see this at some point and be able to answer specific questions. If anybody is local in MA and would be interested in hearing them, send me a PM, but I would also assume @Lee Weber has them on display at his Boston HiFi shop in Needham, MA
I received the speakers a couple of weeks ago, and it is clear that this was the best speaker decision I’ve ever made. These are *solid* speakers – MUCH more substantial than my Paradigms, which I thought were very good speakers. They’re baffled (unlike the Pardigms) with magnetic grills (cloth grills were an option, but I wanted the grills to match the frames and the walls and, indeed, Next Level Acoustics matched the frames and grills to our paint codes and they are a perfect match to our walls. The sound is simply amazing. Dialogue is crystal clear, even during the loudest action scenes. And the sub is so much more responsive than the Martin Logan Grotto i – perhaps not surprising given its two-chamber tuning system. Listening to music through these speakers is a joy – the sound is stunningly crisp and clean.

I’ve had audiophile friends come over to hear the system and the most repeated comparison is to Triad gold speakers – but considerably less expensive and custom fit to my needs!

I’m attaching a few bad pictures (the reflections show how nice the finish of these speakers and sub is), but they really are beautiful speakers. I have no affiliation with the company, just a very happy customer!

Happy to answer any questions.
Ian

Thanks for your thoughts guys!!--and we are super glad you are enjoying your speakers! I am still exited to be part of Next Level and every-time I fire up my theater I smile.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with these? I am considering them but since they are a newer product it's very difficult to find any kind of reviews on them. It's a little scary to spend a bunch of cash on an unknown but the specs look great.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had the pleasure of listening to this line of speakers fantastic for the price! You can't go wrong with your money. I have heard tons of different speakers and these are the real deal. Quality components even in the entry level speakers unlike other manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have had the pleasure of listening to this line of speakers fantastic for the price! You can't go wrong with your money. I have heard tons of different speakers and these are the real deal. Quality components even in the entry level speakers unlike other manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
28,797 Posts
Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with these? I am considering them but since they are a newer product it's very difficult to find any kind of reviews on them. It's a little scary to spend a bunch of cash on an unknown but the specs look great.
We are going to have a pair of their speakers sent to us to evaluate.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I exchanged some emails about the iw55's (for LCR) and the tri-arrays for surround. Just trying to decide if I can stretch my budget as I wanted to stay at the $2500 mark. The iw44 would be too small for my room I think.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Still trying to finalize my plans, struggling with so many options. Speakers will be used in a large living room (about 14x30 with 10' ceilings). Wife wants in-walls since it won't be dedicated theater room she doesn't want my current towers in the room. As mentioned I'm considering the IW55's for LCR and the tri-surrounds for side surrounds. I'll be using my current Velodyne 12" sub for a bit due to budget.
The other option I'm considering is the Def Tech UIW RLS II for LCR with the UIW RSS for surrounds. The def Tech' do seem to be a little larger but I'm assuming the quality of the next levels would make up for that? I'm currently using a Polk system of RTi8 towers, CSi5 center and FXiA4 surrounds so while I'm happy with it I realize it is far from high end. My goal in the new house is to have an in wall system that will match or exceed my current system. We use it 95% for movies and tv. Thanks for any additional feedback. I'm down to a few weeks to make a decision.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Still trying to finalize my plans, struggling with so many options. Speakers will be used in a large living room (about 14x30 with 10' ceilings). Wife wants in-walls since it won't be dedicated theater room she doesn't want my current towers in the room. As mentioned I'm considering the IW55's for LCR and the tri-surrounds for side surrounds. I'll be using my current Velodyne 12" sub for a bit due to budget.
The other option I'm considering is the Def Tech UIW RLS II for LCR with the UIW RSS for surrounds. The def Tech' do seem to be a little larger but I'm assuming the quality of the next levels would make up for that? I'm currently using a Polk system of RTi8 towers, CSi5 center and FXiA4 surrounds so while I'm happy with it I realize it is far from high end. My goal in the new house is to have an in wall system that will match or exceed my current system. We use it 95% for movies and tv. Thanks for any additional feedback. I'm down to a few weeks to make a decision.
yes, the quality and build of the IW55's are vastly superior in dialogue intelligibility and response and the tri arrays dispersion and clarity is second to none. The IW55's with tri arrays, which we did for Ian above in the post are nothing short of astounding (feel free to reach out to IAN). Also, Feel free to call Jeff Meier from https://www.accucalav.com/ for his opinion as we are now on his recommended list. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Normally these would cost thousands more as they are fully custom, but we are coming to market blowing away the price performance ratio as our goal is that everyone should be able to have amazing sound without being the 1%. And we are trying to take care of the AVS forum members as my partner LEE Weber is an AVS forum bluray review writer :)

·
Banned
202 Posts
its a quality versus size issue. Would you rather have a large supermarket mass produced frozen pizza, or a medium+ hand crafted pizza from a top quality restaurant using a coal fired oven from Italy?

Our drivers are a proprietary Carbon Wool (high end) versus the other option. And we use a 1" silk dome tweeter versus a budget aluminum dome tweeter. So now you are buying a frozen pizza with frost bite pepperoni versus hand sliced fresh pepperoni. Its all about the quality. Look at the back boxes, ours is quality 3/4 inch mdf CNC constructed with proprietary sound deadening coating. The final decision is up to you, but unlike def tech and polk that sold out to big box, we are high quality custom speakers with sound quality at the top of the list which is why we build with quality components in the USA. let us know if and when ready.

the IW55 was the same speakers CEpro reviewed and loved.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't doubt the components you use. My only concern is will the IW55's be large enough to provide the dynamic front soundstage I'm hoping for. I know they are better quality than the Polk's I have now or the Def Tech's I have looked at - just not sure how much of a difference the additional 1" woofers would make in creating that soundstage. I read the CEPRO review and they clearly loved the 55's but they were using them as surrounds and not as LCR's, so it's a little different situation. With that said my seating area would probably be about 10-12 feet from the screen and in-walls so it's not a huge space in that respect. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all my concerns. The house is gutted to the studs at the moment and I want to do this once, the right way - on a 2-3K budget lol! Thanks again for your input!

·
Banned
202 Posts
I don't doubt the components you use. My only concern is will the IW55's be large enough to provide the dynamic front soundstage I'm hoping for. I know they are better quality than the Polk's I have now or the Def Tech's I have looked at - just not sure how much of a difference the additional 1" woofers would make in creating that soundstage. I read the CEPRO review and they clearly loved the 55's but they were using them as surrounds and not as LCR's, so it's a little different situation. With that said my seating area would probably be about 10-12 feet from the screen and in-walls so it's not a huge space in that respect. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all my concerns. The house is gutted to the studs at the moment and I want to do this once, the right way - on a 2-3K budget lol! Thanks again for your input!
of course!! we are hear to help in anyway we can. We sell IW55's all day as fronts and the response has been nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
of course!! we are hear to help in anyway we can. We sell IW55's all day as fronts and the response has been nothing short of amazing.
Okay I appreciate that. I'll be in touch within the next two weeks to place an order. Thanks for all your time.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts