AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I actually live in New Jersey but on the Hudson River I hope this is close enough for this thread.

I get

2-1 CBS (70%)

5-1 FOX (70%)

5-2 UPN (Never checked signal. Their digital signal looks awful)

I have the Samsung SIR-TS160 and I am using an antenna supplied by the my apartment building. Analog reception is not that great so I'm impressed I get the digital signals so well.

Mike

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chewitt
What channels are these on? Are they all UHF? I am in Manhattan and have Radio Shack double bow-tie indoor antenna.

Channel UHF 56 WCBS

Channel UHF 44 (transmitting two substations Fox and UPN). Where exactly in Manhattan are you, uptown, midtown or downtown?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mad6c
I actually live in New Jersey but on the Hudson River I hope this is close enough for this thread.

I get

2-1 CBS (70%)

5-1 FOX (70%)

5-2 UPN (Never checked signal. Their digital signal looks awful)

I have the Samsung SIR-TS160 and I am using an antenna supplied by the my apartment building. Analog reception is not that great so I'm impressed I get the digital signals so well.

Mike

I agree with you regarding the UPN signal it is awful compare to FOX and CBS. Since you are on the other side of the Hudson, are you getting UHF 61 PBS?

·
Registered
93 Posts
No, I don't get PBS. I assume that 61 maps back to 13-1. I get no signal from that channel. I'm still trying to figure out my HDTV STB, not sure how to manually tune into 61. The automatic scan doesn't find it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mad6c
No, I don't get PBS. I assume that 61 maps back to 13-1. I get no signal from that channel. I'm still trying to figure out my HDTV STB, not sure how to manually tune into 61. The automatic scan doesn't find it.

Mike

Are you getting a good reception right now. I just checked my reception and it is not that great. I will have to go to the roof and check it but it has been so cold lately, raining, snow... Let me know...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am getting 0% reception from CBS OTA. Getting fox at about 60%. Can determine the cause yet?

Fox is now about 73% but CBS is still at 0%. Not locking in... Anybody getting same results from CBS OTA.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I live in the east 50's. Should be able to get a greeat signal unless it's blocked by a skyscraper. Can't get HD satellite because of the Trump World building (90 story apartment building). I'll try 56 today.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Added 56 as a channel. Came up 56-0. Terrible reception. Is it necessary to do something else?

I do not think so. I am getting about 62% this morning with a lot of break-ups. How is your reception on Fox UHF 44?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in Riverdale,The Bronx. Have Radio Shack/Turk UHF antenna on 16 story building roof. Using RCA DTC 100 I get CBS 90%. Fox75%. UPN I get but donot watch.(terrible quility) With Sony HD200 I get CBS & FOX 100%.

With Sont HD100 I get CBS 90% & FOX 85%. The RCA receiver has the weakest tuner section of the 3 receivers. Even Direct tv channel 543 SHO HD is only 65% on RCA but on Sony HD 200 543 is 100% and on Sony HD 100 543 is 90%. I use the RCA because the Picture quility is the best of the 3 receives when watching HD material.

·
Registered
119 Posts
*Updated 4/15/03, Replaced cheap rg-59 run with better rg-6.

*Updated 10/30/03 Added ABC.

Staten Island, NY.

CBS 2-1 (56-1) 100%

FOX 5-1 (44-1) 100%

UPN 5-2 (44-2) 100%

PBS 13-x (61-x) 55%

PIX 11-1 (12-1) 20%

ABC 7-1 (45-1) 100%

NBC 4-1 (28-1) 06%

NET 50-x (50-x) 55%

FUT 68-1 (53-1) 55%

Rcvr- DST-3000

Ant- RS 15-2152

Tv- Samsung HLN617w

·
Registered
282 Posts
How do you switch between cable stations and OTA, other than in the Menu, Channel scanning function? I'm getting no UHF, only bad cable.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Harvey Luckman
I live in Riverdale,The Bronx. Have Radio Shack/Turk UHF antenna on 16 story building roof. Using RCA DTC 100 I get CBS 90%. Fox75%. UPN I get but donot watch.(terrible quility) With Sony HD200 I get CBS & FOX 100%.

With Sont HD100 I get CBS 90% & FOX 85%. The RCA receiver has the weakest tuner section of the 3 receivers. Even Direct tv channel 543 SHO HD is only 65% on RCA but on Sony HD 200 543 is 100% and on Sony HD 100 543 is 90%. I use the RCA because the Picture quility is the best of the 3 receives when watching HD material.

Wow these are great percentages. I am surprised that the building allow you to put up an antenna on the roof (specially in Riverdale). I was just wondering have you tried to aim your antenna to CT and get any reception on ABC? I heard someone from Yonkers (by the race tracks) was able to do this.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:

How do you switch between cable stations and OTA, other than in the Menu, Channel scanning function? I'm getting no UHF, only bad cable.
Unless your set has two YPrPb (component) inputs you'll need a component switch for an external HDTV tuner plus TWC's 3100HD converter. The hardware forum has many threads on various component switches. I've just ordered a recently reviewed one, the Zektor, that accepts four YPbPr inputs and has one component output. (If you add or have a progressive-DVD player, that would total three component inputs.) If your set has a built-in H/DTV tuner/decoder, all you need is an antenna input to that tuner (likely a separate RF jack than the standard NTSC tuner).

I'm also shielded from the ESB by my building (north-facing, north of the ESB) and can only pick up CBS on UHF 56 by pointing my indoor book-size Silver Sensor UHF antenna northwest at a nearby building, getting UHF reflections. Tuning H/DTV in mid-town can be a tedious process, sometimes failing when the antenna is off by only an inch or so.

'Bad cable' is proably a function of your building/street wiring. Some channels, depending on the original source, are fairly fuzzy when seen on large-screens. But a local live broadcast, say on standard CBS (2) should appear crisp and ghost-free, while a CBS golf game from California from a small field camera may look quite fuzzy. TWC in my building, on the whole, is quite good. If it isn't in your building, you have to keep setting up service calls until it's fixed. They might have to fix a nearby amplifier in the street or perform other rewiring. -- John

·
Registered
283 Posts
I live on the north shore of S.I. and I get the following channels:

Channel 2 (56) - 100%

Channel 5 (44) - 100%

Channel 9 (44) - 100%

Chennel 13 (61) - 51-72 %

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ilkevinli
I live on the north shore os S.I. and I get the following channels:

Channel 2 (56) - 100%

Channel 5 (44) - 100%

Channel 9 (44) - 100%

Chennel 13(61) - 51-72 %
What type of equipment are you using? antenna, receiver, pre-ampifier...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Im using the Toshiba DST-3000 and the Bow Tie channel master antenna. No amplifier. The antenna is located in the attic.

Quote:
Originally posted by motjes2
What type of equipment are you using? antenna, receiver, pre-ampifier...

1 - 20 of 263 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.