AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 1195 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Why do all these sources show up in the Onkyo Controller app when I go to select a source for Zone 2 (yes, it is running in DEMO mode because I'm at work, but get same screen when connected to my receiver at home except I DON'T get the PC option!!)??

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
I added this fan and I'm very happy with it. Just layed it on the top of the receiver (as an exhaust not intake) and plugged it into the USB port of the receiver (using the included adapter). Since the receiver powers the fan it turns on and shuts off with the receiver. Only con I can see is if you don't have enough room in your media stand, fan is alittle taller than I envisioned. Regardless I can't see it and it's a very large and high quality fan.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a20-5v-pwm.html

Well worth the $30 investment to go along with my $208 676 receiver lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this and absolutely love it. One question though -

Can I permanently change the display so that It shows me the audio (DTS, DD, etc) instead of the source (TV, Game, etc)? For some reason I like to know what I’m getting without having to press the “I” button.

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Onkyo NR676 or Sony STR-DN1080

Want to get expert opinion, i got a deal for sony dn-1080 for 300$ and onkyo nr676 for 220$, wanted to decide today which route to go far
Feature wise both are similar, with regard to RMS power output sony is little higher but sound quality wise which receiver is best
Appreciate if someone can throw some light on this as i need to decide by today to buy a receiver and both the deals are going end today.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have this and absolutely love it. One question though -

Can I permanently change the display so that It shows me the audio (DTS, DD, etc) instead of the source (TV, Game, etc)? For some reason I like to know what I’m getting without having to press the “I” button.

Thanks
No you can't.

Please search in the future, it has been asked at least 3 times in this thread.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Want to get expert opinion, i got a deal for sony dn-1080 for 300$ and onkyo nr676 for 220$, wanted to decide today which route to go far
Feature wise both are similar, with regard to RMS power output sony is little higher but sound quality wise which receiver is best
Appreciate if someone can throw some light on this as i need to decide by today to buy a receiver and both the deals are going end today.

Thanks
$220 for the 676 seems awfully good. Can you share where it is being offered?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. Below is a c/p of my recent email to Onkyo. It explains my grief with those:

----
Question:
Hello. I am an avid onkyo fan since long time ago. I used 703, 803, 929.
I decided to get a 2017 line receiver for my second bedroom. I opted for 575e and magnat super needle speakers.
After the setup i noticed, that front and center speakers tend to crackle at particular dialogues.
Hmm, i though. I raised crossover freq on Onkyo to 200hz but that did NOT affect the glitch.
Well, i tried 3 pairs of speakers, and even bought new RZ720 thinking i'm underamping the speakers with 575e.
Nope. Absolutely the same.
So i invited a friend over who is a sound engineer (SAE graduate).
He whipped out a tone generator and fed it to onkyo via digital in.
We started sweeping from 20hz to 20khz thru one speaker at a time (multichannel in/multichannel program/5,1 out). Guess what...
YOUR CROSSOVER NOT WORKING AT ALL IN BOTH MODELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We found that Magnats have a mechanical resonance around 150-190hz that makes it vibrate and distort. So. WHY IN THE H IF I HAVE X-OVER SET AS 200hz I STILL GET audio at 150-190hz PASSED TO SPEAKERS?????
Explain!!!!!! Fix!!!!!!!!!!!
Only temporary workaround that seems to work ok is to use manual EQ setup with all freqs below 250hz down to -6db. That fixes the buzz etc.

Your move, Onkyo... Pioneer?
Thank you.
-----

Can somebody test and confirm the crossover thingie?? Thanks!
Did you ever get a resolution to the crossovers having no effect? I recently purchased the same model and encountered the same problem. Thanks

·
Registered
932 Posts
Did you ever get a resolution to the crossovers having no effect? I recently purchased the same model and encountered the same problem. Thanks
Crossovers aren't brick walls so to speak - they cause a decline in audio signal, not cut it off completely. A 12 decibel/octave slope is common, meaning that if you set the crossover at 120 Hz the sound will be down 12 decibels at 60 Hz, 24 decibels at 30 Hz, etc.

In the case of the person you quoted there will still be a good but of sound at the 150-180 range even setting the crossover at 200 Hz. Reducing the EQ and setting the crossover together likely provides enough reduction at the resonant frequency but the crossover alone only reduces by 6 decibels or less at 150 Hz. The issue is with his speaker, not the crossover.

That said, if you are setting the crossover and seeing no change in sound at all below the crossover frequency when measuring using test tones then that would indicate crossover failure.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Why do all these sources show up in the Onkyo Controller app when I go to select a source for Zone 2 (yes, it is running in DEMO mode because I'm at work, but get same screen when connected to my receiver at home except I DON'T get the PC option!!)??
So, why no PC output for Zone 2 when it clearly shows up in demo mode?? Sometimes I'd like to listen to a game audio while I'm the back yard and I use Windows Media Center with two 4 tuner cablecard tuners. I GUESS I could input it into one of the other inputs, but befuddled why PC doesn't show up - it's an HDMI input, just like STRM BOX, BD/DVD, CBL/SAT!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered. I read a wack of pages and couldn't figure it out.

Currently im running a PS4, Apple TV and Shield TV tbrough my 676. I also use my Samsung S8 to play my music through by pressing mirror on my phone and Chromecast comes up on the Onkyo unit automatically.

What Im trying to do is play chromecast (or another way of playing my music) AT THE SAME TIME as playing PS4. Is this even possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered. I read a wack of pages and couldn't figure it out.

Currently im running a PS4, Apple TV and Shield TV tbrough my 676. I also use my Samsung S8 to play my music through by pressing mirror on my phone and Chromecast comes up on the Onkyo unit automatically.

What Im trying to do is play chromecast (or another way of playing my music) AT THE SAME TIME as playing PS4. Is this even possible?

Thanks!
I don't think so since the Chromecast and other online services are under the Net input on the 676. I don't believe it's possible to play 2 inputs at the same time. I don't own a PS4, but maybe it is possible to play music while a game is running on the PS4? Or maybe you could use the Zone 2 option which would require another set of speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an NR686 but my question related to Accu EQ room setup so maybe someone here experienced the same problem.

Part of the setup running but after two round when the front left-right-left-right would start the setup stops saying ambient noise too much. Stops every time after the front right speaker.
I have upgraded the firmware, swapped cables and speakers, and setup mic switched off the central heating and all other equipment.
One interesting thing happening, when I move the front right speaker 1m to the centre the room setup runs fully (not every time) but saves only level and distance data, not the EQ.
I can't decide is it a hardware problem or my room and the front left speaker position is wrong and affect the process.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I don't think so since the Chromecast and other online services are under the Net input on the 676. I don't believe it's possible to play 2 inputs at the same time. I don't own a PS4, but maybe it is possible to play music while a game is running on the PS4? Or maybe you could use the Zone 2 option which would require another set of speakers.
Correct - discrete inputs. I know what you want to do - when we do something like darts or bowling on the Xbox 360, I just break out my Bluetooth speaker and play music through it since there is nothing on the game we want to listen to!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

Thanks!
Have you tried setting it to the PS4 input, begin music streaming, then using the remote pressing the "mode" button which will trigger the mini-player which goes to the bottom corner. If you want to disable the pop-up completely then you would have to disable the whole GUI.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
How would you turn DOWN the PS4 volume and turn UP the NET volume then?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How would you turn DOWN the PS4 volume and turn UP the NET volume then?
There would be no PS4 volume, just net. You cannot have the receiver mix sources. Ideally PS4 would allow music streaming over SFX but that's something Sony would have to implement.. Pretty sure the Xbox 360 allowed this for music ripped onto the HD..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
So you can have VIDEO from one source, and SOUND from another - simultaneously?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
So I could play Xbox via Game HDMI, and stream music from my cell phone via Bluetooth? Can I stream via NET instead of Bluetooth?? Thanx for the info!

781 - 800 of 1195 Posts