AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1195 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
My 830 will do the relay click at almost every commercial if I have it in direct, but if I leave it on Dolby surround or dts neural then it hardly ever does. Haven’t noticed any clicking when pausing a movie though. But I’ve mostly streamed movies lately

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its not just a question of swithcing formats. If I'm playing e.g. a DD 5.1 movie and pause, then resume, why should the receiver have to switch modes?
For some reason, the receivers are set to 'restart" the HDMI connection when a signal voltage is dropped...or something like that. Yes, even after a pause it can happen. This may be the way HDCP (encryption) handshake has been set up. Each time it goes "off" the HDCP has to be 're-negotiated' to comply with copyright protection. It can be handled at the software level, but I don't know enough of this stuff. Also, there is a whole "HDMI staring up" thing when the receiver is turned on, and even if a TV connected to it is turned on. This is how the software sees "sleeping" vs "off" or standby, in the background of ensuring HDCP compliance. The newest receivers allow pass-thorugh of the HDMI even when the receiver is in standby, so this can be better implemented in the older receivers, or is a newer HDCP standard???

Whatever, the HDMI on Onkyo and Integra could really have been improved over 10 years, one would think!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 830 will do the relay click at almost every commercial if I have it in direct, but if I leave it on Dolby surround or dts neural then it hardly ever does. Haven’t noticed any clicking when pausing a movie though. But I’ve mostly streamed movies lately
Yes, I would agree that staying in one of the Dolby modes, the Dolby DSP chip is always engaged. But I would think the handover could be much faster in the newer models. Its not very good firmware implementation. Also, Onkyo/Integra are about hardware and do lag in good software interfacing, and they never seem to bother on upgrading their primitive on-screen view, for example. Or even implementing a proper Tidal or Spotify 'artist/song' display.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
So I'm assuming this doesn't happen with Denon/Pioneer/Yamaha/Sony?

I would look into making sure your serial number is not affected by the HDMI disaster.
I bought the Onkyo 676 new in Dec last year, I would hope its not. Although it sounds like a problem in Onkyo software.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes, I would agree that staying in one of the Dolby modes, the Dolby DSP chip is always engaged. But I would think the handover could be much faster in the newer models. Its not very good firmware implementation. Also, Onkyo/Integra are about hardware and do lag in good software interfacing, and they never seem to bother on upgrading their primitive on-screen view, for example. Or even implementing a proper Tidal or Spotify 'artist/song' display.
Now in retrospect , I wish I would of coughed up a few more dollars and went a different direction than Onkyo. But the price for the 830 was substantially less than the competition. I’m a sucker for a deal. And it comes back to bite me sometimes. Lol. I much preferred the features on my Denon ave x3400, but really wanted the extra 2 Atmos channels. And in the end I didn’t save any cash at all. Now I have to buy a minisdsp to eq my subs, because accueq advanced doesn’t do crap in my room. I thought I could get over the Onkyo’s quirks. But now after living with the clicking, the crappy room eq, and the lack of quick channel trim adjustments it’s starting to wear on me. And almost forgot about the hissing. If you use the tone controls at all, you get a noticeable hiss though the speakers. Guess there is a reason these newer onkyos are going so cheap. Pretty sure this is my last Onkyo for awhile at least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys, I have a new NR676E, used for 14 months watching movies n playing xbox, now the HDMI display output is missing signal. Did minor troubleshooting myself by swapping HDMI cables, devices, n still had the same problems. Brought down to distributor n the tech told me cost 500 to change the board! Is more than half the price of a new unit when first bought. Brought the unit home without changing n switched it on few days. It worked again for a few movies and back to same problem. Is there a cheaper alternative to change the board or whatever that is causing this problem? Or do I need to get a new unit? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can you control the TX-NR575 by voice through google home? If so is it only while using the built-in chrome cast? Just wondering if I can adjust the volume or anything else while playing movies..
Just noticed this.
I cant say for sure with your particular tv and setup and there is also the fact that my receiver is the NR676..but...my tv is a Vizio P65-F1 and it also has Chrome Cast built in. I have CEC enabled on both the TV and receiver as well as the tv speakers set to 'OFF'. The tv is also connected to the ARC HDMI on my receiver.
I can't control the receiver via my home mini - no power on/off. But I can control the volume via commands sent to the tv - which in turn controls the receiver volume via CEC. CEC also allows the tv to power on/off the receiver, so all I have to do is tell the Google Home Mini is to power on/off the tv and that takes care of the receiver.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Proper crossover settings?

So I have older 5.1 speakers. Klipsch ksf 8.5 floor standers and pioneer s-cr400-k for center and surround. As well as a klh 10" sub.

Anyways, what would the proper crossover settings be for my speakers? The Klipsch are floor standers and their specs say 36 hz - 20khz. I can't find specs for the pioneer but their site says they are "full range" surrounds.

Should I follow what most guides say and set the floors to 40 hz, center to 100-120, surrounds to 100-120, lpf of lfe to 120?

Or should I set everything to full band except for the sub? I understand the point is to specify which frequencies the avr can send to each speaker, but if they can each handle the range, why not send it there? Also, any need for Double Bass to be on if they are set to full band?

I don't want to damage my speakers, but also most of the content I consume is mulitchannel pcm or lossless audio whether that be truehd or dts, so if I'm losing out on certain frequencies that may improve the sound now that I have the bandwidth I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Windows 10 HDR

Hi all,

I have the 676.

I just got a new TV - Samsung Q7F

Heres my woes:

My main source is a HTPC (Windows 10 - latest updates)

When I connect the PC to Receiver and then Receiver to TV, Windows does not pickup the display as being HDR compatible.
If I connect the PC straight to the TV, then I get HDR options. I then have to use ARC for Audio BUT it will not pass back Atmos

Is there anyone with a similar situation? I dont recall any settings on the receiver itself that would force HDR to the tv or anything like that.

Its super frustrating

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi all,

I have the 676.

I just got a new TV - Samsung Q7F

Heres my woes:

My main source is a HTPC (Windows 10 - latest updates)

When I connect the PC to Receiver and then Receiver to TV, Windows does not pickup the display as being HDR compatible.

If I connect the PC straight to the TV, then I get HDR options. I then have to use ARC for Audio BUT it will not pass back Atmos

Is there anyone with a similar situation? I dont recall any settings on the receiver itself that would force HDR to the tv or anything like that.

Its super frustrating
I know some TV's and receivers have a PC mode where they strip out a lot of processing and stuff to be compatible with PC resolutions and such. Did you connect the htpc to the PC port and tell the TV and the receiver it's a PC that's connected? If you haven't then try that, and if you have then try to name it a different source. I have an LG oled and I know there is a "pc mode" that's enable if you tell the TV that the source is a PC. I'm not sure if the onkyo does anything similar because I don't have a pc connected to mine

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I dont recall any settings on the receiver itself that would force HDR to the tv or anything like that.
Hi poiromaniax, looking at OSD and using the buttons on the receiver. Hold the BD/DVD button then press ON/STANDBY button...cycle to 4K Enhanced by pressing ON/STANDBY button again (while still holding the BD/DVD button).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Question for anybody that may still look at this. One thing that annoys me is I can't get the osd when the receiver is on the TV input and I'm using the smart TV native apps. This is probably because the receiver isn't sending the video signal to the TV, it's the native tv, however there should still be a way to force the osd on the screen. This is a problem for several reasons, specifically for 4k Netflix and Amazon for certain audio formats, I need to adjust the center and the sub, or mess with the eq, but I can't because no menu pops up.

Any solution to this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi poiromaniax, looking at OSD and using the buttons on the receiver. Hold the BD/DVD button then press ON/STANDBY button...cycle to 4K Enhanced by pressing ON/STANDBY button again (while still holding the BD/DVD button).
Thanks!

Is there a list somewhere of these hidden menus??

Things seem to be working now although for some reason the handshake is going crazy when entering/exiting video playback and either it just works or I get a "No Source" screen on the TV :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Zona 2 issues on Onkyo TX-NR676

Hello,

I have purchased recently an refub received with intention to use it with two zones (one zone indoor and one outside).
I'm having a PCM hdmi input from hdmi1 playing correctly in zone 1 all-channel-stereo but when i go and set same input to play in zone2 there is no sound ;-(

When i switch Zone2 to AUX IN i have audio in zone 2 from my chromecast audio and in zone1 from hdmi1.

Why i cannot play audio from hdmi in zone1 and zone2 from the same hdmi input ? In something broken in the receiver? Should I RMA it ?

edit:

i got following response, how is that possible ...
Sales Accessories4less
4:54 PM (39 minutes ago)
to me

Hi

Zone 2 doesn’t send HDMI or digital inputs to this zone, it’s only analog which is why the AUX works on the HDMI doesn’t. It’s the limitation of the model not a defect.

Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks!

Is there a list somewhere of these hidden menus??

Things seem to be working now although for some reason the handshake is going crazy when entering/exiting video playback and either it just works or I get a "No Source" screen on the TV :confused:
Fixed it by changing color in Nvidia Color Settings to YcBR422 (previously had it set to just RGB)

Havent tried 444 or 420 yet

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Question for anybody that may still look at this. One thing that annoys me is I can't get the osd when the receiver is on the TV input and I'm using the smart TV native apps. This is probably because the receiver isn't sending the video signal to the TV, it's the native tv, however there should still be a way to force the osd on the screen. This is a problem for several reasons, specifically for 4k Netflix and Amazon for certain audio formats, I need to adjust the center and the sub, or mess with the eq, but I can't because no menu pops up.

Any solution to this?

How would you propose to do that? The receiver can only overlay what goes through it. If you need an OSD then get a streaming box and run the apps from that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How would you propose to do that? The receiver can only overlay what goes through it. If you need an OSD then get a streaming box and run the apps from that.
No stream box supports Dolby vision yet, that's only available on the native apps, also I shouldn't have to buy a $100 device to correct a common situation. The nature of the receiver is to welcome in the new tech of 4k/hdr, and all 4k/hdr TV's have smart apps, it's an oversight to not have a 2-way video signal to superimpose the osd over the tv menu. Obviously with HDMI cec the receiver can automatically switch to the tv input so it shouldn't be difficult for Onkyo to do so. The only thing I haven't tried is going into the menu and then pressing the TV input button to see if it only switches the input within the menu and not the actual video signal, but that probably won't matter. If I can't access the menu then I can't set intellivolume for the smart apps or other input specific settings. That's a problem. It might be a problem with all receivers, but a problem nonetheless.

The reason I say a $100 stream box is the only hardware capable device to handle 4k/60hz and hdr is the Roku ultra or the Nvidia shield. Roku ultra only had a 10/100 Ethernet port which is stupid and the shield is $180 bucks without much storage space. The market isn't quite there yet with devices.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hello,

I have purchased recently an refub received with intention to use it with two zones (one zone indoor and one outside).
I'm having a PCM hdmi input from hdmi1 playing correctly in zone 1 all-channel-stereo but when i go and set same input to play in zone2 there is no sound ;-(

When i switch Zone2 to AUX IN i have audio in zone 2 from my chromecast audio and in zone1 from hdmi1.

Why i cannot play audio from hdmi in zone1 and zone2 from the same hdmi input ? In something broken in the receiver? Should I RMA it ?

edit:

i got following response, how is that possible ...
Sales Accessories4less
4:54 PM (39 minutes ago)
to me

Hi

Zone 2 doesn’t send HDMI or digital inputs to this zone, it’s only analog which is why the AUX works on the HDMI doesn’t. It’s the limitation of the model not a defect.

Regards
Yes the 676 doesn't have a dedicated dac for digital playback to zone 2. The lowest model for that is the rz630, iirc?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
No stream box supports Dolby vision yet, that's only available on the native apps, also I shouldn't have to buy a $100 device to correct a common situation.
The follow devices support Dolby Vision streaming when connected to a Dolby Vision capable TV:

Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick
Apple TV 4K
Chromecast Ultra
LG Blu-ray players
Panasonic Blu-ray players
Philips Blu-ray players
Sony Blu-ray players
Xbox One S and Xbox One X
The nature of the receiver is to welcome in the new tech of 4k/hdr, and all 4k/hdr TV's have smart apps, it's an oversight to not have a 2-way video signal to superimpose the osd over the tv menu. Obviously with HDMI cec the receiver can automatically switch to the tv input so it shouldn't be difficult for Onkyo to do so. The only thing I haven't tried is going into the menu and then pressing the TV input button to see if it only switches the input within the menu and not the actual video signal, but that probably won't matter. If I can't access the menu then I can't set intellivolume for the smart apps or other input specific settings. That's a problem. It might be a problem with all receivers, but a problem nonetheless.

The reason I say a $100 stream box is the only hardware capable device to handle 4k/60hz and hdr is the Roku ultra or the Nvidia shield. Roku ultra only had a 10/100 Ethernet port which is stupid and the shield is $180 bucks without much storage space. The market isn't quite there yet with devices.

This wouldnt work because no TV can output their internal signal. You could not superimpose an input onto the TV because how would it know what to display. You can buy a streaming stick that does 4K DV for under $50 if you want. I doubt there ever would be a way to impose an OSD from external source over the TV input. The investment is not there.

Reactions: ynnek63
961 - 980 of 1195 Posts