AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1194 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Has anyone figured out if it is possible to power the 676 on/off via Google Assistant?
According to onkyos site via a quick Google search the 676 does not work with Google assistant. The tx-nr686 and tx-nr696 both work with Google assistant but it doesn't seem like the 676 does. That being said I did find another article that with a firmware update Onkyo added Chromecast support (audio only) as well as Google home support.

I would assume Google assistant integrates with Google home (or even Chromecast) to be able to turn it on

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
According to onkyos site via a quick Google search the 676 does not work with Google assistant. The tx-nr686 and tx-nr696 both work with Google assistant but it doesn't seem like the 676 does. That being said I did find another article that with a firmware update Onkyo added Chromecast support (audio only) as well as Google home support.

I would assume Google assistant integrates with Google home (or even Chromecast) to be able to turn it on

THanks. When I got the 676 last December, Chromecast support was labeled on the box and I also immediately updated the firmware. I could always cast music to the receiver, but it is such a slow process that I started casting to the tv - which is connected to the receiver via ARC - instead.

What makes this situation odd is that the TV also has built in Chromecast support and I can power it on and off via voice commands with my Google Home Mini and my Alexa Dot. Fortunately, the TV triggers the power on/off to the receiver via CEC. The downside to that is the TV has a slightly long start up process and the CEC command isn't sent to the receiver for at least 13 seconds. Then there is an additional delay while the receiver starts up and begins the HDMI 'handshake'. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but kinda annoying.

Ideally, we would have the functionality where not only can we directly power the receiver on/off but also switch inputs via Google Assistant.

·
Registered
113 Posts
THanks. When I got the 676 last December, Chromecast support was labeled on the box and I also immediately updated the firmware. I could always cast music to the receiver, but it is such a slow process that I started casting to the tv - which is connected to the receiver via ARC - instead.

What makes this situation odd is that the TV also has built in Chromecast support and I can power it on and off via voice commands with my Google Home Mini and my Alexa Dot. Fortunately, the TV triggers the power on/off to the receiver via CEC. The downside to that is the TV has a slightly long start up process and the CEC command isn't sent to the receiver for at least 13 seconds. Then there is an additional delay while the receiver starts up and begins the HDMI 'handshake'. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but kinda annoying.

Ideally, we would have the functionality where not only can we directly power the receiver on/off but also switch inputs via Google Assistant.
I agree. I guess the only way to know is to try and pair it thru Google home and see what commands assistant allows. I also experience a smart app delay in the receiver regardless of what I use. Even Spotify. If I'm using Spotify on my desktop and casting it to the onkyo there's at least a 5 second delay between the time stamp on the desktop app and the actual audio coming out of the Onkyo. I have a feeling they added the features for functionality only to slap those labels on the box rather than them being amazing at executing those functions.

·
Registered
113 Posts

So I just received a Google home mini for free so I've been messing with this a bit. So it sounds like the Onkyo works with Google home, and Google assistant integrates with Google home. However, you need the Onkyo controller app on your phone to set everything up in order for Google home to find the device. I think there is a way to do what you want it just isn't the easiest setup. I'm trying to do it myself so I'll let you know if I have success.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I just received a Google home mini for free so I've been messing with this a bit. So it sounds like the Onkyo works with Google home, and Google assistant integrates with Google home. However, you need the Onkyo controller app on your phone to set everything up in order for Google home to find the device. I think there is a way to do what you want it just isn't the easiest setup. I'm trying to do it myself so I'll let you know if I have success.

Hopefully you will have more success than I did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to settings, listening modes, go to the input that you use, and set the mode for all audio modes to Direct instead of Last Valid. Restart receiver. You're welcome.

·
Registered
613 Posts
On Screen Display with Sony

hey guys - i have an Onkyo tx-nr676 and just bought a Sony XBR-65X900F. I have the TV hooked up with the AVR via (brand new) HDMI to the ARC port on the TV. However, i do not get the on screed display of the AVR. I press "Setup" and the Sony screen goes black. If i switch the cable to a non-ARC port then i can see the on screen display. Any ideas here? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Do you have it arc tv to arc of onkyo? Just guessing here. Which non arc port did u try to make it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
Do you have it arc tv to arc of onkyo? Just guessing here. Which non arc port did u try to make it work?

i used HMDI 4 on the Sony - when the on screen display worked. It's connected to the OUT MAIN ARC on Onkyo. So when connected to the ARC input on Sony there's no on screen display (screen goes black) - but when the cable is moved to HDMI 4 the on screen display works. i appreciate you taking a stab at this!

·
Registered
567 Posts
If the source is 5.1 you would want to use direct, or Dolby digital.

When listening from a 2 channel source you would want stereo, or if you wanted to simulate surround sound to your 5.1 speakers you could use Dolby surround which is the receiver trying to emulate surround sound.

So I've had this unit for a while, and this statement made me question how it's outputing. I use a 4K UHD LG player today. I was watching Star Trek Into Darkness, sounds great, however, when I hit the "info" button it is stating that it's inputing Dolby Atmos, but outputting Dolby Surround 5.1. I'm assuming that it's at least downconverting to Dobly TrueHD since I only run a 5.1 system and not Atmos. Just hoping it's actually processing the TrueHD and not just Dolby Digital 5.1. How can I be for sure?

I am hoping that this would actually display exactly what it's running on the front of the Onkyo like my old Onkyo HT RC 160 did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I've had this unit for a while, and this statement made me question how it's outputing. I use a 4K UHD LG player today. I was watching Star Trek Into Darkness, sounds great, however, when I hit the "info" button it is stating that it's inputing Dolby Atmos, but outputting Dolby Surround 5.1. I'm assuming that it's at least downconverting to Dobly TrueHD since I only run a 5.1 system and not Atmos. Just hoping it's actually processing the TrueHD and not just Dolby Digital 5.1. How can I be for sure?

I am hoping that this would actually display exactly what it's running on the front of the Onkyo like my old Onkyo HT RC 160 did.
So a lot of blue ray players default the audio output to dd because most people don't have receivers and systems that can process Dolby trueHD. By the way, Dolby truehd is not being converted by anything, Dolby truehd is the lossless audio format. You should put Star trek into darkness in and look for the audio menu on the Blu Ray player and it probably has multiple audio tracks and one of them is probably truehd

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

It would say "DD" for Dolby Digital in if you were getting Dolby Digital input. As the input is the Atmos track which is 7.1 that is being down-converted to 5.1. "Dolby Surround" is an up-mixer that will send sound to all your speakers, based on any number of source channels.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thanks, hopefully that is the case.

So it sounds like it's just taking the source Atmos and downverting since yes, i am only running a true 5.1 set up, and not an Atmos one.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Thanks, hopefully that is the case.

So it sounds like it's just taking the source Atmos and downverting since yes, i am only running a true 5.1 set up, and not an Atmos one.
I promise that you are getting the lossless track. The player decides whether to send DD 5.1 or TrueHD/Atmos. If your receiver says it's getting Atmos, then it is the TrueHD/Atmos. You can try changing output mode to say "TrueHD" by pressing the Movie button on the remote if you want an "less processed" output of the track, but I don't think it will sound any different as they are both Dolby modes.

Denon receivers just report receiving TrueHD when you don't have Atmos speakers attached, but Onkyo reports the input as Atmos.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I promise that you are getting the lossless track. The player decides whether to send DD 5.1 or TrueHD/Atmos. If your receiver says it's getting Atmos, then it is the TrueHD/Atmos. You can try changing output mode to say "TrueHD" by pressing the Movie button on the remote if you want an "less processed" output of the track, but I don't think it will sound any different as they are both Dolby modes.

Denon receivers just report receiving TrueHD when you don't have Atmos speakers attached, but Onkyo reports the input as Atmos.
I always toggle movie button to match input with output for surround, especially lossless ones like true HD and DTS master HD and I think the difference is big compared with preset surround mixes.
Only exception is Stereo sound that I usually upmix to Stereo surround for music or TV logic for TV to get dialog more center channel.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i used HMDI 4 on the Sony - when the on screen display worked. It's connected to the OUT MAIN ARC on Onkyo. So when connected to the ARC input on Sony there's no on screen display (screen just goes black when i select settings) - but when the cable is moved to HDMI 4 the on screen display works.
anyone have any ideas as to why i can't see the on screen display for my AVR with this set up?

·
Registered
113 Posts
anyone have any ideas as to why i can't see the on screen display for my AVR with this set up?
You can't view the osd when the receiver is on the TV input source. Connect another device to the avr, switch to that input on the avr, and then try the menu. When the receiver is in TV mode it only receives audio, doesn't send any passthru video and therefore cant show the osd

·
Registered
613 Posts
i used HMDI 4 on the Sony - when the on screen display worked. It's connected to the OUT MAIN ARC on Onkyo. So when connected to the ARC input on Sony there's no on screen display (screen goes black) - but when the cable is moved to HDMI 4 the on screen display works. i appreciate you taking a stab at this!
You can't view the osd when the receiver is on the TV input source. Connect another device to the avr, switch to that input on the avr, and then try the menu. When the receiver is in TV mode it only receives audio, doesn't send any passthru video and therefore cant show the osd

thanks for the info! appreciate it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I was updating the firmware and ran across a PDF about switching the receiver from standard to enhanced mode, which enables additional video signal formats.

What I'm having a hard time with is figuring out what devices output what signal formats.

I'm under the impression that rgb is moreso for computer resolution and colors, and ycbcr is moreso for Blu Ray source colors, etc.

I guess what I need to know is, by setting the receiver to enhanced will I screw up any of the resolutions or anything? I have an LG oled b8 which is 4k hdr 60 hz. I primarily use a fire stick 4k, PS4, and some internal apps on the TV that aren't supported on the fire stick. I have premium HDMI cables connecting everything. Can someone explain these formats a little better for me?

EDIT: after doing some reading it seems it doesn't matter until HDMI 2.1 is a thing. I can enable enhanced just so every format is available, but 2160p 60 hz 4:4:4 hdr isn't possible anyways due to bandwidth limitations.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Damn, so I have my C9 that I got for Black Friday and I love it, but since I’m running my Xbox x through my receiver I can’t get auto latency or VRR. Looks like I have to run the console directly to the tv and use optical cables for sound which sucks. Is there any other solution?

1061 - 1080 of 1194 Posts