AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I got mine last week.


After the network was connected, I did was the firmware update.


I am only using 5.1 now (am getting the rear surrounds soon).


I have one HDMI output going to my family room LCD and the other is not being used. It will eventually go to my bedroom TV once I get the HDMI cable in place.


I have not had any network issues that have been reported in other Onkyo threads.


I used NR1007 codes for my URC MX-950 remote and only had to learn a couple of commands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
At present, my Onkyo 608 powers a 7.1 surround sound system (using wides and surrounds) quite nicely. I'm satisfied with the sound quality. My speakers are the Jamo S 413 HCS 5's.


I'm thinking of getting the 1008, taking two of my dad's extra Jamo S 413 satellite speakers and ending up with wides + heights. I'll also take his extra powered subwoofer (which is exactly identical to my own) and run 9.2 instead of 9.1. These Jamo speakers have a sensitivity of 86db and are rated 6 ohms.


Will the 1008 do this for me without requiring an external amplifier? I usually listen at rather moderate volumes, by the way, and with Audyssey Dynamic Volume set to Medium at all times, which would help to prevent excessive volume (electrical current) peaks.


Thanks for any help you can provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
The Onkyo 1008 is on sale right now at Newegg for $879. That's $120 off their normal price . . . naturally, I just bought it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
from what i read, seems that the 1008 is a downgrade from the 1007...is this true and for the ones that have the 1008, how do you like it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
I don't see how the 1008 could be a downgrade. Would someone please post pics of the GUI from your 1008? Many not just one or two. So we could get an idea how it is. Please
thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
It is a downgrade in some areas but for what I was after, which was heights + wides at the same time, it is in fact an upgrade. The 1007 simply can't do that but the 1008 can. The slightly less sensitive room correction tech and reduction in maximum power don't matter much to me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 /forum/post/19198075


It is a downgrade in some areas but for what I was after, which was heights + wides at the same time, it is in fact an upgrade. The 1007 simply can't do that but the 1008 can. The slightly less sensitive room correction tech and reduction in maximum power don't matter much to me.

Heights plus wides at the same time? How is this possible if the 1008 is 9.2 and not 11.2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec /forum/post/19197922


from what i read, seems that the 1008 is a downgrade from the 1007...is this true and for the ones that have the 1008, how do you like it?

From 1007 to 1008

THX Ultra2Plus to Select2Plus

51.8 LBS to 41 LBS

11.6A to 8.8A Power Consumption
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
In order to use wides and heights simultaneously, one must give up surround backs and just live with surround left & right. I'm fine with this . .. most important to me is front and surround sound stage. Having heard wides and heights separately, I'm positively thrilled that I'll finally marry them together at once tomorrow night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
If it turns out my TX-NR1008 isn't powerful enough to power my 9.2 surround sound system (small room, moderate to low average volumes, with Dynamic Volume always set to Medium), would it be better to return the receiver and upgrade to the 3008, or should I just buy a two-channel amplifier and amplify the Left and Right speakers, thus reducing the load to something more like 7.2? Obviously I'd have to recalibrate so that the receiver knew not to send as much volume(=amperage?) to the Left and Right speakers.


I doubt I'll run into these eventualities but it doesn't hurt to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 /forum/post/19200286

If it turns out my TX-NR1008 isn't powerful enough to power my 9.2 surround sound system (small room, moderate to low average volumes, with Dynamic Volume always set to Medium), would it be better to return the receiver and upgrade to the 3008, or should I just buy a two-channel amplifier and amplify the Left and Right speakers, thus reducing the load to something more like 7.2? Obviously I'd have to recalibrate so that the receiver knew not to send as much volume(=amperage?) to the Left and Right speakers.


I doubt I'll run into these eventualities but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hmm, how important is DVD upscaling to you? Stepping up to the 3008 gets you more power and the better Reon video chip. If you are not as critical about the video, I would go the external amp route. There are plenty of high quality used stereo and multichannel amps that can be had for around $300-$500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I was about to pull the trigger for the NR1008 and a friend of mine told me that I should go with the Integra 50.2 instead. Appreciate any thoughts. 50.2 is 7.2 rather than 9.2 but seems to have more power under the hood.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Under the hood Onkyo and Integra are the same basic units with a slightly different feature list and design. It really doesn't matter what you are going to buy.

They even (usually) share the same firmware, but are sold through different outlets / sales channels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hey chs4000,

Were you able to run both hieghts and wides at the same time with the 1008? I have read so many different answers on it I cant get it figured out. Thanks for the reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
Yes I'm running both heights & wides at the same time and it's magnificent.


DVD upscaling quality is very important to me -- this a function best handled by the BD/DVD player IMO, not the receiver, both from what I have read and from what I have experienced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 /forum/post/19210541


Yes I'm running both heights & wides at the same time and it's magnificent.

Do you have to select both Dolby IIz as well as DSX? Thanks.
 
1 - 20 of 286 Posts
Top