AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 8871 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel /forum/post/0

Thanks, Dave.

I did a bit more research in parallel. According to the manual (p. 52) there is a button labeled "HDMI OUT" hidden behind the 'door', which from what I understand allows to toggle between main, sub, and no HDMI output. (No word about whether this functionality is also available through the remote.)

Could I ask you to check/verify when get a chance?

Thanks much!

____

Axel

Yes, the button is there and it works as you describe. Using the remote, I think you need to go into the menu.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/0

That is one negative for me at least. I would want the simultaneous HDMI outs. I guess I better not get rid of my crystalio II then. I really like sending the same signal to both the theater and the bar. Especially when it is a big game, UFC, or a good movie. If the denon can do it then why not the 905?

I don't think I would get the Denon for that reason alone. Monoprice sells a 1X2 powered HDMI splitter for $96, and a 1x4 splitter for $112.50.

You can get the 905 with Reon processing, four concurrent HDMI outputs with a monoprice switch, and still save $300-$400 over the 4308ci.

Monoprice only has info for the 1X2. In all fairness, it's HDMI 1.2a, so it is not quite as good as two 1.3 outputs.

By the way, did you get your optical to coax SPDIF converters yet?

-Dave

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Dave,

Thanks. I think I am pretty much set with my proposed new set up:

Receiver Onkyo 905

TV: Pioneer 6010 (or 150hd if I can find it cheap enough)

Speakers: Sierra's L/C/R. 170's RL/RR

PS3 - for Blue Ray.

Now all I have to do is wait until after the wedding.....then I can spend some money (if I can find it!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner /forum/post/0

The Sierra's sound fantastic with the 905.

Earlier this year, I had and 8-year old Sony STB-830 (which I have been very happy with) and some ancient JBL speakers and a crappy subwoofer. I upgraded to five Ascend CMt-340's and a HSU VTF-2 MK 3 subwoofer, and was thrilled with the improvement. About a week later Ascend introduced the Sierras. Since I was in the 30-day retrun period, I exchanged the 340's for the Sierra. The difference between the 340's and the Sierra's was not huge, but noticeable. I guess I would say that everything I liked about the 340's the Sierra's do a little bit better.

With the 905, the Sierras sound even better. You just notice little details in the sound that you didn't notice before.

I ran Audyssey tonight. I only did three samples because some of the speakers are not in their final position.

Audyssey did a fantantistic job setting the sound levels. However, I still prefer the equalizer turned off compared to the Audyssey setting. Sound was just a bit muddier. Some people complain that Onkyos sound bright, but I don't find that to be the case with the Sierras.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Given the Reon's performance on SD content and given Steve Tack's positive impressions with Mosquito and Random NR, is there any way to set a "SD" setting on the Onkyo when watching SD content and then an everything else setting (with NR=off)?

I would not want to have to switch Mosquito and Random NR everytime I watch SD. Maybe, I can train my Harmony....

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanvader /forum/post/0

Its the DTC3416 I. It is an HDMI box.

This is the same box I have. I know how to reach the settings menu, but have not seen any options for stretching or pillarboxing. Where in the menu are you finding these options?

Kent

·
Registered
526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 /forum/post/0

is there any way to set a "SD" setting on the Onkyo when watching SD content and then an everything else setting (with NR=off)?

That's a good question. The bad news is that the NR features appear to be global settings. Would have been better if they could be set up for each input, or at least implemented like on the Toshiba XA2 where you can have three presets.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just wanted to post that I got both the network music and the internet radio features to work. Turned out it was an important detail that I missed (it actually *is* described in black and white in the manual).

This was not intuitive to me, but after you hit the NET/USB button in the Input Selector section of the remote, you then have to hit another button also labeled NET/USB in the Remote Mode section. Don't ask me why the context of where you are on the on-screen menu isn't enough for it to know that the Enter button means "select." Whatever.

Network Media Client

OK, so it does work. I can play music off of my PC via Media Player 11. I found the implementation to be weak though.

1. I prefer to browse by artist, but the only option is to simply scroll through a list with the up/down keys. I've got over 700 entries there - not fun!

2. Once you select an album, the tracks are in *alphabetical* order. WTF? Who wants to listen to tracks like that? The PS3 works like that, and I just don't get it. Have the engineers who design these things ever even listened to an album?

3. In NET/USB remote mode, the transport buttons are active, but you can't even pause a tune. You can only hit Stop, and then start a track from the beginning. You also can't fast forward through a track. Pretty weak.

4. The on screen display is pretty no-frills, though it's a reasonably clean/simple look. You get the track title, artist, and album, time elapsed, time remaining, and a progress bar, etc. You would NOT want to use this screen on a display that can burn an image in though!

So for playing individual albums, the network music ability is pretty useless to me. However, you can select All Songs and hit the Random button and it'll quickly start a full shuffle of everything, just like hitting Shuffle on an iPod. I have like 13,000 tracks and it didn't pause at all. I *could* see using that, as a lot of times it's nice to just play some random music.

There actually is sort of a workaround for the track order thing, which I discovered when playing around with my PS3. In my case, the software I use to rip CD's creates a playlist of each album in the correct order. Media Player automatically imported all of those, so I can play albums from the Playlists option. The problem? With 1100 albums, that's a tough list to scroll through!

I haven't experienced any stutters or other glitches during playback, so once you finally do get to the music, it does work very well.

Internet radio

I had put an internet radio station URL in via the web browser interface the day I got the 905 and now I was able to get it to work. Again, the trick was simply to be in the NET/USB remote mode.

The station I selected had what appeared to be five different choices. Only the first two played, but the sound quality was shockingly good. Both of them were 192k stations. I'm going to be spending some time looking up more stations - this could be a seriously cool feature after all. The only thing is that I didn't see title/artist info; not sure if that's dependent on the station or if the 905 just doesn't do that.

Oh, and just for grins I plugged an iPod into the USB port. The 905 recognized it and I was able to drill down and play a random MP3. It's not really usable as-is with an iPod though, since it just gives you a raw file view of the thing. If you've ever browsed through your iPod in File Explorer, you know what I mean.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Steve for these infos!

About your point 2, titles in alphabetical order: This might be an issue with the WMP11, not the device itself. You said you have the same problem with your PS3. Well, I have a TwonkyVision Setup running (instead of WMP) and it shows the titles on my PS3 as it should! Maybe you should try that (don't have 905 yet, so I can't test it on that...)!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber /forum/post/0

Does the 905 perform inverse telecine on a converted 24p signal in order to get it to its original frequency?

i think the 905 only does passthrough with 1080/24p signals so your display can handle as needed.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I just got my optical to coax converters yesterday and plan to mess with them today. As far as HDMI switchers go from monoprice, I would not bet the farm on them. HDMI is so skitzaphrenic (I am sure I mis spelled it) the less switchers involved the better. I have tried quite a few different HDMI switchers and they are all hit or miss at best. The last HDMI splitter I got from monoprice (2 weeks ago) works sometimes but adds sparklies when it does anyway. So I do not trust their cheaper workarounds with my expensive equipment. If I am going to spend the cash I have on my theater I will not cheap out when it comes to sending the signal to my rooms. No way!
Which is why I will hold onto my crystalio II like it is life support!

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:

I just got my optical to coax converters yesterday and plan to mess with them today. As far as HDMI switchers go from monoprice, I would not bet the farm on them. HDMI is so skitzaphrenic (I am sure I mis spelled it) the less switchers involved the better. I have tried quite a few different HDMI switchers and they are all hit or miss at best. The last HDMI splitter I got from monoprice (2 weeks ago) works sometimes but adds sparklies when it does anyway. So I do not trust their cheaper workarounds with my expensive equipment. If I am going to spend the cash I have on my theater I will not cheap out when it comes to sending the signal to my rooms. No way!

I am interested in how it goes with the converters. Even though my tv is new it does not have coax, only rca and optical outputs. So I need to consider getting one of these converters. It is a shame I did not check the back of my tv when I was placing my order with monoprice.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:

Joerod-- you should look at Octava's products:

1x2 splitter:

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20dist...02%20port.html

1.3a HDMI 5x1 switch:

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%205port.htm

I've used them in the past and find them excellent.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 /forum/post/0

This is the same box I have. I know how to reach the settings menu, but have not seen any options for stretching or pillarboxing. Where in the menu are you finding these options?

Kent

This is the box that I have There is:

TV type (I have set to 16:9),

HDMI output (I have set to 1080i),

4:3 override (I have set to 480i).

no option that I see to set for pillarboxing or stretch.

btw, for anyone who has this box, are these the right settings to have the box sending out native only and not doing any processing.

One more question. On standard DVD's that are full screen and not widescreen, would I still have the stretch problem with the 905?? I see a lot of talk about SDTV, but not about DVDs. I have a lot of DVD's (and VHS tapes) that are full screen (4:3) and I would want to play them as such (not stretched). If the 905 would stretch them, that would negate the value of the Reon for me, and I would switch to the Yammy 3800.

Can anyone give me feedback on this? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I may try one of those Octava splitters. I don't need any for myself though. The crystalio II had 4 HDMI ins and 2 outs. The 805 has 3 ins and 1 out. Is it possible to have to many HDMI inputs?
I just like knowing which work and which don't so I know if I should recommend them...

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Quote:

I will let you know shortly...

Does this mean you finally have tracking info????

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I mean I will let him know how the optical to coax converters work. I have them now and plan to use them today with my 805. No sign of a 905 for me as of yet. I am giving up and do not expect one for a couple weeks. The 805 will tide me over!

And it may have to for a loooong time if I experience any HDMI issues with the 905!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Good question. I know that the Realta (SO's flagship chip) does, but I am not sure about the Reon. My guess would be that it is capable, but whether or not it is implemented, I really have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber /forum/post/0

Does the 905 perform inverse telecine on a converted 24p signal in order to get it to its original frequency?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner /forum/post/0

Only one output at a time, and you need to enter the setup menu to change it. I don't know whether or not there is a discrete code, but it is not on the remote.

-Dave

So you have to enter the setup menu to change which HDMI ouput is active ??!!

I was exicted about this receiver because of the dual outputs in hopes it would be easier to switch between watching the regular TV and the PJ. Plus I could get rid of my Octava 4X2 HDMI switch (great switch BTW).

It now looks like I'll have to add a bunch of extra commands to my Harmony remote to handle switching.

How is this portion of the setup menu handled? Do you cycle between the two options or is there a type of discrete signal for each output?

My fear is that the remote would not be able to select a specific output and or the receiver cycles between the last selected output and the next one resulting in an unknown starting state when setting up the macro.

I doubt there is a discrete for selecting the output, but could someone who has already received one verify how the selection is made in the setup menu?

I downloaded the manual and it just shows the menu page and did not describe how it cycles between the options.

Thanks in advance

BTW - I preordered my from VE on July 31 and yesterday (8-16) was told I just missed by 3-4 units getting one from the batch being shipped today. I was told they were getting 1-2 batches (QTY unknown) per week.

861 - 880 of 8871 Posts