AVS Forum banner

8861 - 8873 of 8873 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, what does the latest firmware offer. I've just recently took the jump to 4k to realise that the Onkyo can't pass through hdmi signal and nor does it support playback cos it's spec is HDMI 1.3a. My firmware has never been updated since I purchased the receiver ten years ago, the main firmware is 1.08.

And thanks in advance for any help as currently it looks like I'll need to by a new receiver which is such a shame given how good the 905 is.

Cheers David.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dave, can’t answer your question about the firmware. I’m still on the original. Can’t find a laptop with a serial port, and there is NO way I would try one of those USB to serial port adapters as they can be flaky and I don’t want to brick my 905 !

I upgraded to a LG 65” OLED recently and was ready to just go buy a new receiver. But before I spent more money figured I would give the Onkyo a spin using the optical output of the TV first.

I’ve hooked up all my 4k devices directly to the HDMI inputs on the TV and use the optical out from the TV to the Onkyo. It works great and the 5.1 setup sounds just fine. Sure I don’t have new sound formats, but so far have not missed them as 5.1 is fine.

Ya no HDMI ARC but I don’t really need it and from reading on the web sounds like ARC can be a pain in the butt anyway.

Just thought I’d share my experience, and yes when I see a killer reason to upgrade, and the high end receivers are on sale I’ll likely upgrade the receiver. But until then I’m enjoying a fantastic system and don’t feel I’m missing out on anything!

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving ( if your Canadian lol )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a TX-NR 905 that works great with the exception of the tuner. The tuner tunes into known stations without any issues, but it never makes a sound. It stays on analog and the sds light never lights up nor does the fm stereo light. We also own a TX-SR702 which has no stereo light even when tuned to a stereo station so I am not sure what to think about that.

I have tried different antennas and both the soft and hard reset which made no change.

The radio board is no longer available through Onkyo.

I can send it to the repair center but they can't get parts so I don't see how they could fix it. Plus I will have to spend $180 minimum.

I really want this fixed as there really aren't many hd radio capable recievers out there.
When I call independant repair shops they say they can't help.

I have checked and there is voltage to the places that feed the radio board.

It is really sad that a $2000 unit can fail and have no parts available even if it is 11 years old. Yeah I know it is all meant to be disposable, but it really shouldn't be. $200 per year over 10 years is a lot of money in my opinion. One could buy a $400 unit every other year.a

On the plus side it looks to me like the analog section of this reciever should continue to function for years as it is direct through the multich input to the speaker outputs. So I can always use it for an amp if I am not mistaken.

The board is part # 1b170518-1 and Onkyo says they do not have them any longer.

I have the service manual downloaded to my phone but it has no troubleshooting info. Only block diagrams, schematics and parts lists.

I would really appreciate any help to try and diagnose and fix this reciever. I can do basic multimeter operations and soldering if needed, but I do not know how to diagnose it. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Maybe I'm risking jinxing things by saying it, but I may have one of the very few NR905s still in full working order with no repairs done. I purchased it ~2013 for ~$300 in like-new condition, used it in my own theater until ~Spring 2018, put it on the shelf (since I couldn't find a local buyer even for $200) until this past winter, and now it's kicking again in my brother's newly renovated theater. When I replaced it with a Marantz SR6011 (part of a larger 4K/Atmos overhaul) I considered keeping it around purely as an amp, but ended up deciding against it. I'm glad it's still being enjoyed by my brother and his family, and if any of the higher-level electronics crap out, I'll definitely get it back from him and consider using it as amp-only via the MultiChannel inputs. .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Alea, I'm having the no video problem on HDMI as well. Did you get repair from Onkyo and if so how much was the repair? I'm surprised they still have Reon processor replacement.
Hi! I tried to buy a new Board by writing to technical support on the Japanese technical support site, where I was redirected to the local one, the price for the new Board was set at ~$ 350, and my attempts to buy the Board ended. The repairs were made by our own efforts and the advice of one engineer. I bought the processor on taobao ~ $ 50, my time is free:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm still holding on to this receiver that I bought way back in 2007. No problems, except for lack of HDMI ARC. Is there any workaround to this? Was hoping I could plug TV's ARC HDMI out into one of the receivers HDMI inputs and get sound but no go. Looks like I'm stuck w/optical out from TV to receiver. Is this same limitation for everyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Onkyo TX-NR905 Last firmwares updates

Hello Dear Friends,
First I would like to thanks everyone wish helped me to upgrade my Beloved old Onkyo TX-NR905.
Last revison Updates for the Onkyo TX-NR905 are:
TX-NR905
Main 1.09 / 08414A
DSPS8051: 12116A
DSPS8052: 07518A
DSPS8053: 07820B
HDMI 1.02 / 08528A
VD: 3.62 / 07717A
NET: 1.01 / 070731z

All this updates are collected on this Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uj866vwiz2l221/Onkyo TX-NR905 Support 190118.rar?dl=0

I read somewhere that that was also a network update but I didn't found it.

The result of the update :
Better quality picture Hdmi out - Vivid colors and more quicker to display from any source
No DTS-MA Boom
Better quality of the video conversion from analog - Vivid colors
All the advantages of Firmware 1.09 too

Have a nice Day and enjoy this great receiver

Loren
Halllo Loren,
unfortunately I also missed the time when the updates were released. Here in Germany I only updated to V 1.01 at that time. Now I have with my Samsung SmartTV GQ75Q8DN a problem probably with the DTS-MA Boom with Dolby Digital and DTS formats, mainly with satellite reception . I read that first an update to V1.05 should be done before V1.09 can be installed. Is this actually the case? Also, does anyone know if due American firmware is compatible with the European?
Thanks for your help in advance and Best Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm still holding on to this receiver that I bought way back in 2007. No problems, except for lack of HDMI ARC. Is there any workaround to this? Was hoping I could plug TV's ARC HDMI out into one of the receivers HDMI inputs and get sound but no go. Looks like I'm stuck w/optical out from TV to receiver. Is this same limitation for everyone?
Hi Stephen,
I just bought HDfury vertex2 as new centre of HDMI netwok. It converts ARC/eARC from SmartTV to a HDM-Audio-Out, wich you connect to one of the HDMI-Inputs of the 905.
Kind regards
Udo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Dear Friend,
The updates works for both American and European version.
Mine is working wonderful !!! Love this receiver :love:
Best regards,
Loren

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Dear Friend,
The updates works for both American and European version.
Mine is working wonderful !!! Love this receiver :love:
Best regards,
Loren
Hello Loren,

I'm glad to hear that and I wish (us) many more years of fun with the 905.

Oh dear, I just noticed that all versions are included in your link. Great, thank you very much. Now I have to deal with the update process.

Best regards
Udo

8861 - 8873 of 8873 Posts