AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 2811 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primopup /forum/post/14825027

Davey..

I wanted to know if the 906 can be hooked up wireless through the front USB port?

I don't think you can use the USB port for wireless networking. However, you can purchase a wireless to ethernet bridge and plug it into the ethernet port on the 906. This will give you wireless networking. An example of such a bridge is http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4757740536B02 or http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=9743339789B11 .

Ira

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nope you can't... I called Onkyo. Are you using of these for your unit now? If yes how are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg /forum/post/14827960

I don't think you can use the USB port for wireless networking. However, you can purchase a wireless to ethernet bridge and plug it into the ethernet port on the 906. This will give you wireless networking. An example of such a bridge is http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4757740536B02 or http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=9743339789B11 .

Ira

·
Registered
338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primopup /forum/post/14828079

Nope you can't... I called Onkyo. Are you using of these for your unit now? If yes how are they?

My 906 gets delivered tomorrow, so I have not yet tried to network it. ;-)

However, I am currently using the Linksys WGA600N with 2 computers in my home network. Units like this tend to work very well. You need to connect them directly to a computer initially to set up the various network parameters. However, once configured, they are true set and forget. After configuration, you plug the unit into an ethernet port on your favorite device and the device thinks it has a direct ethernet connection to your network.

Ira

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hookster57 - I run a tx-nr906 applied to a definitive technolgy speaker system. Their towers and center R/L speakers all have subs in them - so the bass is greater than any competitor at that price point.

David

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 /forum/post/14827558

Can anyone suggest a decent yet reasonable 7.1 speaker set? My old Integra DTR 6 was pushing two front JBL 55 LX (which still sound good after all these years), two rear Polk M2s, a Polk 120w sub and a mismatched Mirage center. Are any of these worth "saving"?

Also would it be worth it to try and use the Integra in the setup somehow? It really has been a great amp, even at 85w....

Thanx

If they still sound good to YOU, y change ? ? ?

I still run 18 year old JBL's L7's (front), L1 (back) and a NHT (center) and they still sound fantastic !! Don't need a sub, center is a mismatch as L Series didn't have a center available.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14734206

I watched Terminator 2 @ +10 volume and it was TOTALLY AWESOME .... make your heart restart ....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just from looking at the "Features" for both units on their respective web sites, the Integra DTR-9.9 has 15 band manual speaker EQ vs. 7 band for the Onkyo TX-NR906, and the Integra has a 3 year warranty vs. 2 for the Onkyo.

Since Audyssey MultEQ XT seems to work for most folks (you can choose it OR manual EQ, not both), and most receiver problems show up in much less than a year, it's hard for me to see why one would pay more for the Integra.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 /forum/post/14796373

Has anyone read the bold face statement on page 34 of the manual? It says that "THX recommends that video signals pass through the system without up-conversion."

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having a upcoverting AV receiver?

Hmmm.... I wonder why?

·
Registered
338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg /forum/post/14827960

Ira

I'm following up on my earlier message.

I received my 906 and have used a wireless network bridge to connect it to my home network. As I expected, it works perfectly. I have listened to net radio, streamed audio from my home server and gone to the receiver's web page from my computer. All operations work just fine.

Ira

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The 906 I ordered from Amazon.com will be here Monday,
but this is really more about new, new Amazon price protection policy than the 906. I am posting here because it may help someone and 906 buyers deserve to know.

Here is the current policy (although neither of us could find it in the help pages). Within six days of purchase, if the price drops more than $20, Amazon will refund the full amount of the price difference.

Here is how I found out. I ordered from Amazon rather than a much cheaper no warranty seller on Ebay or a $20 cheaper vendor like 1Call (good experience with them in the past) because Amazon seemed to have the better return policy. I knew that they did not price match other sellers.

I decided to take a trial of Amazon Prime to get the $4.00 overnight shipping. But it wasn't free; they charged me $79.

I called and a pleasant fellow in India, and after two long periods on hold he said that he would cancel the the prime membership, refund the $79 and give me a refund for the charge for two day shipping.

I accepted the offer.

Then I saw that the price had dropped, so I called the next day and the CSR (in West Virginia) told me that I had an unprocessed shipping refund that he would do it immediately, but that Amazon no longer offered price protection. We had a pleasant discussion, he put me on hold, and then came back to say that there was another new policy and that I would get a refund.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Gents, I am currently a 905, 875 and 806 owner and am seriously upgrading to a 906 for my study. Is it true you can manipulate the video settings by input (ie change NR settings for CBL/SAT but leave them off for DVD)? I have read conflicting reports on whether the ISF calibration menu is accessible - can you even manipulate? (apologies if this was answered pages ago!). Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/14847453

Gents, I am currently a 905, 875 and 806 owner and am seriously upgrading to a 906 for my study. Is it true you can manipulate the video settings by input (ie change NR settings for CBL/SAT but leave them off for DVD)? I have read conflicting reports on whether the ISF calibration menu is accessible - can you even manipulate? (apologies if this was answered pages ago!). Thanks!

Yes, you can manipulate the video processing based on input. The ISF calibration menu is accessible. Check the manual at onkyo.com. It gives some terse instructions for how to adjust the various settings.

Ira

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I bought a 905 from Frys and am still within the 30 day return window and torn whether I hold or upgrade to a 906 for roughly $350 more. I am very curious if the average user (like myself with Sony KDL-46W3000 1080p lcd) will be able to even notice the advanced video processing with isf callibration in the 906 (and 876). While the per input settings are attractive, I do not know how much of a real world impact they will have. I welcome any input from folks a bit more knowledgable or experienced with the 906/876.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/14851454

I bought a 905 from Frys and am still within the 30 day return window and torn whether I hold or upgrade to a 906 for roughly $350 more. I am very curious if the average user (like myself with Sony KDL-46W3000 1080p lcd) will be able to even notice the advanced video processing with isf callibration in the 906 (and 876). While the per input settings are attractive, I do not know how much of a real world impact they will have. I welcome any input from folks a bit more knowledgable or experienced with the 906/876.

While the ethernet stuff does not interest me, one huge deciding factor on 905 vs 906 (for me) is the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume control. These are a must for me. Check and see if these features are something you would want. They are worth the extra in my book.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I own both the 905 and a Denon AVR-3808CI. I just upgraded my Denon so that it now has Dynamic Eq and Dynamic Volume. I guess it depends where you use your receiver as to whether these features are worthwhile. I use my Onkyo in my dedicated theater room, so I can usually run the receiver at near-reference volume...so Dynamic Volume and Dynamic Eq aren't really necessary. On the other hand, my Denon is in a smaller HT room right next to my bedroom, and Dynamic Eq and Dynamic Volume were HUGE step-up features that were definitely worth the $100 upgrade fee that Denon charged. For $350? Eh, I'm not so sure.

As an aside, Onkyo could learn a lesson or two from Denon about how to handle firmware and feature updates. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would've gotten another Denon for my main theater room, particularly since I don't use the Onkyo's HQV processing anyway.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/14851454

The main advantage of the isf adjustments in the 876 and 906 is as follows. If you have multiple sources and each source has different picture characteristics (i.e., one source provides a picture that needs a high brightness setting on your TV to avoid crushing blacks, while another source needs a much lower brightness setting), then the isf feature is quite useful. Most TVs (including your Sony I believe) only allow you to set the brightness, contract, color and tint to a single set of levels for each input. You can switch from cinema to custom and add another set of memorized levels, but this may affect the picture in other ways.

Thus, the problem is you are sending all your video signals to the TV over a single HDMI wire from the receiver. If you set your TV to optimal settings for one source, the picture (usung the same input on the TV) will not be optimal for the other source.

With the 876/906 isf controls, you can set yout TV optimally for one source and then adjust the image parameters on the receiver so that the second source will match the first and give you the optimal picture.

As to whether the average user would notice, this depends substantially on how well you have optimized your picture settings and whether you have multiple devices that require widely different settings for an optimal image.

Ira

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflay /forum/post/14756163

Hi!

Can anyone confirm the problem I am showing:

Setup:

Samsung 52F96 connected to Onkyo 906 via HDMI (1080p).

Cablebox connected to Onkyo 906 via YUV-cable (576i).

After watching TV for about 10 minutes, the picture does a couple of twitches (barely visible, but still visible) for about 1-2 Minutes - then the problem is gone...

It can be reproduced on my unit - and does not seem to be heat-related.

Best regards

Frank.

A quick update to my situation above:

I received an exchange unit from amazon and the problem seems to be gone.

But - I hate to say this - it reappears after about 4 hours of viewing. Then it stays until you power the unit down.

I only recognised it with component input - perhaps because this needs the most calculating-power? Heat related?

Anyways: The twitches seem to be a weak spot of the Onkyo 906 - even if my original problem (twitches after 10 minutes) seems to be gone...

Best regards

Frank.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I notice twitching in the bottom of my screen, the pixels bend back and forth horizontally with some flicker for a few seconds and then go away. I always though it was just some signal hickups from my cable box though, and it only lasts a few seconds and goes away.

421 - 440 of 2811 Posts