AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figured would start the thread as I decided to stop by CC on the way home just in case..maybe to pick up a loaner 604. They had the display sign out for the 605 with no box nearby. Asked a lady which seemed sorta confused about what to do in her job, and she looked it up and told me the computer kept trying to sell me the 604, but eventually she figured it out, and sure enough they had 1 in stock! Sorry not more info at the moment, but will be playing with it now, will be back later. Hope the unit from JR comes in soon, I suppose CC will want their receiver back sometime

·
Registered
202 Posts
Delusive, do you have cable programming? If so, I'd love to know if you see any difference in your standard definition programming.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, well getting more in depth with the receiver, there is a thread stating how the receiver won't run pcm through 7.1..perhaps I have something set incorrectly? I'm currently running the Matrix Movie with TrueHD enabled running PCM and Dolby Pro Logic IIx..and sound through all 7..any ideas?

·
Registered
326 Posts
xt14, perhaps if you could look at solving the upscaling question once and for all? Take a look at Andrew's thread and you'll see that he's found the hidden menu and these are the options:

Resolution: auto or 720p

VFmt

Sharpness

Saturation

Hue

Contrast

Brightness

Instructions on how to access the menu, are also in that thread. It just a matter of holding down the AUX button and concurrently pushing Power.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt14 /forum/post/0

okay, well getting more in depth with the receiver, there is a thread stating how the receiver won't run pcm through 7.1..perhaps I have something set incorrectly? I'm currently running the Matrix Movie with TrueHD enabled running PCM and Dolby Pro Logic IIx..and sound through all 7..any ideas?

The unit will do PCM 7.1, but only if the source is 7.1. I'm pretty sure that Matrix TrueHD is only 5.1. What does the front display its doing at this time? I guess you'd have to verify its doing TrueHD and not just Dolby, as well as verify its not just doing PLIIx for all of the speakers. If this unit does do PCM + PLIIX I might have to kiss you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well currently it's showing pcm on the front as well as DolbyIIx. When i switch to see what's being output it shows PCM fs: 48kHz. I do have to go to work now though until about midnight or so EST, i will evaulate the 720p after I get back from work. I assume this is wanted for the issue of upconverting SD material. Anyway, will be more detailed about everything later. I've had little time to do anything with it because I didn't even cut my new speaker wire until after I brought it home today..didn't plan ahead because I wasn't planning on seeing this for another week at least.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
So far, it appears that the hidden menu does nothing, save pique our interest. I've tried changing contrast, etc. with no discernible changes on the screen. I will reassign my cable box to AUX and see if that channel only is affected since my Tosh XA2 outputs at 1080P and the AVR shouldn't affect it. It didn't.

Perhaps the rumors are true re: XA2 and bitstream. I have a DTS MA 7.1 HD disk and all I'm getting over HDMI is 5.1. Initially the display showed DTS or Neo6, but now after some tinkering I'm on a track and ES 5.1 is showing up, and the source is DTS 5.1. Still no Master Audio on the AVR display. It is not showing PCM over the HDMI, but DTS 5.1. Multi-Analog works fine, but haven't played with it much yet.

Even though I just set my cable box to 480I for non HD stations, the Mits DLP display says It's getting 480i. It should be saying 480P. I dunno. Back to work.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Too many threads going maybe we can combine this??

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles /forum/post/0

Too many threads going maybe we can combine this??

I vote for that option as well. Gotta check in lots of 605 threads now. Gotta get my 605 fix every few minutes!

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt14 /forum/post/0

Well I figured would start the thread as I decided to stop by CC on the way home just in case..maybe to pick up a loaner 604. They had the display sign out for the 605 with no box nearby. Asked a lady which seemed sorta confused about what to do in her job, and she looked it up and told me the computer kept trying to sell me the 604, but eventually she figured it out, and sure enough they had 1 in stock! Sorry not more info at the moment, but will be playing with it now, will be back later. Hope the unit from JR comes in soon, I suppose CC will want their receiver back sometime

This is a huge beast. The JVC I am replacing less than half tall.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't want to read all the threads, but i'll just read what i have found myself so far. Selecting 720p in that menu gave me 720p on my standard def sources. I am playing nintendo wii in 720p right now. Only problem is the aspect ratio is stuck at 4x3 because of the ridiculous way the widescreen support is setup in that system, so if only I could find a way to change it to fill the screen, then I'd be in business.

·
Registered
115 Posts
xt14, you can change the mode so it will display in 16x9, its in the other tread, i can't think of it off the top of my head but there is a way to fix it

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ordered mine from 1call should have it by Tuesday.

It will be the center of my hometheater which includes (great price if you call they will add the summer07 code)

Panasonic 720p Ptae900u projector

Toshiba hd a2 HD DVD player

Nintendo WII

Now for the ceiling speakers for the rear channel.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Is there another SR605 thread because this one doesn't seem to be getting much action? Is there another official thread?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan /forum/post/0

Is there another SR605 thread because this one doesn't seem to be getting much action? Is there another official thread?

Its a couple of rows below this thread "Onkyo 605 new owner" Also keep an eye on the "anticipation" thread.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles /forum/post/0

Its a couple of rows below this thread "Onkyo 605 new owner" Also keep an eye on the "anticipation" thread.

Thanks mrgribbles. I always pick the thread that says "Official" on it but it didn't work this time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts