AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 12560 Posts

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·

Quote:
well the second unit does the same thing. if i put my sony bd player back on the rack usng the same cables/inputs and all is well. my hd dvd player also is fine. i am not sure what the issue is, but there is one fore sure.
Quote:
Something there is out of sync...It has to be settings. or HDMI cable related.

I had to replace the HDMI cable is used initially. Since I have been switching players in and out of my rack for the past few weeks, there was a HDMI cable already in place that I had been using for other players. It is an older "generic" cable routed through a Monoprice passive switch, but I thought it was a decent cable and no other player had any issues. The Panny would not hold sync. I happened to have a Monster HDMI not being used so I tried that and it worked fine. I'm not saying to use a Monster brand, but I would try replacing the cable with something better than what you have. If there is a switch involved, try bypassing that.

·
Registered
839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson /forum/post/12183796

Built it like the Sony BDP-S1.

There have been a number of comments along this line.

Having paid to recycle 670+ pounds of once upon a time state-of-the-art electronics earlier this year, much of it built like a brick (a 6 lb. original IBM PC keyboard, for instance), I have it say it: I used to think like this, too. Now I think If it's built well enough to last six or eight years or maybe ten, then it's built well enough. Anything else is just wasted and will wind up in the dump/recycler just as well and just as soon and cost more at the front end.

·
Banned
769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W /forum/post/12184816

There have been a number of comments along this line.

Having paid to recycle 670+ pounds of once upon a time state-of-the-art electronics earlier this year, much of it built like a brick (a 6 lb. original IBM PC keyboard, for instance), I have it say it: I used to think like this, too. Now I think If it's built well enough to last six or eight years or maybe ten, then it's built well enough. Anything else is just wasted and will wind up in the dump/recycler just as well and just as soon and cost more at the front end.

Well said...I feel this way about cars too. A BMW or Mercedes with 250,000 miles is just as worthless as a Ford Focus with 250,000 miles... over engineered junk at that point...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
but isn't there just something about an av cable that is as thick as your wrist?

Plus, I love looking up at my shiny black 210lb pj hanging directly above my head.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The BD30 suddenly showed up as available at a local CC store last night, so I used the 10% coupon and went to pick it up. This is my first high def player. Very happy with it so far, both for BD and SD (compared with my Denon 1930) hooked up to my Mitsubishi 46" 1080p LCD which supports 24p. Next week I''m planning to get the Denon 3808 to replace my 3805, then hopefully I'll be set for a while...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W /forum/post/12184816

Anything else is just wasted and will wind up in the dump/recycler just as well and just as soon and cost more at the front end.

I recycle, I drive a Prius. So the environment is important to me.

When it comes to amps, source components,processors and speakers, the heavier the better.

Personally, I do think that if a speaker is heavier it is mechanically held to the ground better. I would also believe that a heavier Blu Ray player (BDP-S1), would have better shielding against EM and less vibration.

JMHO.......

·
Registered
336 Posts
darn, I missed out on the CC coupon. Didn't realize it expired yesterday :-(

Wonder if CC will take a bestbuy rewardzone coupon 12% off.

Been waiting for this player to arrive as I was narrowing my choice between this and the Samsung Bp1400.

·
Banned
769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis /forum/post/12185764

darn, I missed out on the CC coupon. Didn't realize it expired yesterday :-(

Been waiting for this player to arrive as I was narrowing my choice between this and the Samsung Bp1400.

Just go ahead and buy one...They will price match a cheaper price within 30 days...I garantee it will be available for 479.99 (or less) at other dealers within that time...They will have to refund you the difference...

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
The HDMAN is right. With Black Friday coming it is a shoe-in to be on sale before 30 days is up! Go get one!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've been wanting to go purple for so long, this player looks closer to me getting there.

I need a new receiver anyway (I like what I'm reading about the Onkyo 805 and 875 lately) but I am kind of bummed out that this player doesn't internally decode the newer audio formats.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
If you do not need the upconcversion then get the Onkyo 805. This Panny and that receiver will be one heck of a combo!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/12186069

If you do not need the upconcversion then get the Onkyo 805. This Panny and that receiver will be one heck of a combo!

Thanx for the recommendation, Joe!

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I care. I really like movies (on HD DVD) in Dolby TrueHD. Then I use my Onkyo receiver to put it in Ultra2 cinema mode. That is the sweet spot!
Conversely for Blu ray, I really like DTS-HD... Of course who doesn't!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Your right. I'm going to run out and buy one today or tomorrow. The thought of going near the smithhaven mall today gives me chills. So much traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
The Panasonic BD30 made me Blu!
I picked mine up yesterday at CC with the 10% off coupon. I also found a local authorized Pioneer dealer (home theater installer) with a Pioneer VSX-94TXH in stock and got that for $1250. A buddy came over last night and we spent a few hours integrating the new gear into my TV stand (Salamander Designs Synergy Triple 20). Since the 94TXH has 4 HDMI inputs, I decided to keep my Oppo 970 in the rack (mainly for playing back non-anamorphic SD DVDs). Then the BD30 got one HDMI input, the Toshiba XA2 got the third, and my Mac Mini home theater PC got the fourth. It is nice to have all of them switchable from the Pioneer! (The outgoing Pio 72TXV only had 2 HDMI inputs.)

TV atop the Salamander is a JVC 70" LCOS 1080p. But it's the older model with only 1080i inputs. So, all media is being upconverted to 1080p in the JVC.

After a quick Auto MCACC audio set up on the 94TXH (which has a couple of additional MCACC tests vs. the 72TXV), the first (and so far, only) disc into the BD30 was Ratatouille. Loading time was fine but, overall, there is a bit more waiting time with these Java-based discs vs. HD DVD (this is my first Blu-ray player) as it accesses menus and such. Nothing to get my shorts in a wad about but definitely slower than I am used to. Then the Disney title hit with the fireworks. Fantastic subwoofer action!! Made everyone in the room jump!!!!

But the real joy was the incredibly gorgeous picture!!! The colors are fantastic!! And the soundtrack was equally awesome (set it for uncompressed PCM)! To say I was impressed is an understatement!! We watched the entire movie and enjoyed it even more than we did when we watched it on standard def (rental) on Tuesday!

I'll be spinning up Cars later today (got the two together with the $10 off deal). Plus, I'm visiting Fry's to take advantage of the Disney/Buena Vista BOGO sale (got four or five titles I'm interested in).

But, to be quite frank, after the 5 free movies, there are less than 10 currently released Blu movies that I'm interested in owning. Sure, there's more stuff coming down the road (Celine Dion's Vegas concert being one). But, the reality for me is, I was being honest with myself when I went with HD DVD first. Just more titles on that side that interest me (many of which were available for BOTH, but I already got them on HD DVD).

So, I spent $1800 to watch a dozen movies in high def! Ouch!

Mark

P.S. Now I can't wait for Toshiba to release the bitstream advanced audio firmware update for the XA2!

·
Registered
14,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis /forum/post/12185764

CC will not match the 12% coupon at least the one I went to. I have the 1400 and will be taking it back for the BD30. Not that the 1400 has given me any problems as of yet, I feel the Panasonic will be the better player for me.

Bill

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
I also took advantage of the CC deal last night. Called a local CC and they had just got 2 in off the truck. Had them hold 1 till I got off work and went in and purchased it online right in the store to take advantage of the 10% off. Great deal.
I have not hooked up yet, but will report when I do. I have been using a PS3 till this point, but wanted bitstream audio for my Onkyo 885.

My question is this...Does this Panny qualify for the 5 free BR's by mail? I did not get any rebate info from CC (forgot to ask about this when I was there). If this does apply, where do I get the rebate form to choose movies, details on how to do this deal, and do I send in a copy of my email receipt that I got?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I ordered this Panny from BB yesterday. I went to the store and used my 12% off reward zone coupon. They said it should be in the store on 11/15 for me to pick up so that seemed reasonable. Can't wait! I'm so confident that I'll love it that I already have my PS3 ready to sell on eBay starting tonight.

201 - 220 of 12560 Posts