AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 8617 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by new plasma guy /forum/post/18274026

thanks . sounds great . did you lower the settings for the first hundred hours or are you ? like contrast and brightness ect ? thanks

Just been using THX mode when I've watched movies and the settings recommended by D-Nice for the break in slides. I've watched minimal SD content so far.

·
Registered
546 Posts
" In other words, whilst inky its blacks still cannot match those seen and measured on the legendary 9G Pioneer Kuros."

Wow this sucks.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/18274601

" In other words, whilst inky its blacks still cannot match those seen and measured on the legendary 9G Pioneer Kuros."

Wow this sucks.

D-Nice says that Panasonic's 2011 sets will exceed Kuro black level performance, if the road map holds up

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have read many times that the G20/G25 does not have any cooling fans around the back. How does this thing keep cool? Question for the owners: Does your set feel too hot? I have an enclosed space where I would mount this panel should I decide to get one.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra92 /forum/post/18273716

Dang... 21 replies after mine and no response, LOL.

No worries, just a quick bump here (since questions can get buried!) to see if anyone knows what the thickness of the G20/G25 is (the actual panel part) --- is it thicker like the G10, or thinner like the G15?

Or is the G25 thin like G15 and G20 thick like G10? I couldn't find physical specs for these units to determine one way or the other, but have to figure one of the people here who bought a G20/G25 and have it in hand, can either measure it or likely have the user manual with the spec sheet in it...

The G20 and G25 are all 3.5" thick with flat rear covers. They did away with the stepped rear cover that the G15 had.

BTW, i posted links to the G20 and G25 Operating Manuals on the first page of this thread and they contain all the specs and dimensions.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laron /forum/post/18274773

I have read many times that the G20/G25 does not have any cooling fans around the back. How does this thing keep cool? Question for the owners: Does your set feel too hot? I have an enclosed space where I would mount this panel should I decide to get one.

Mine's been on all day. The back of the TV is cool -- I don't feel any warm spots. The screen is slightly warm.

·
Registered
546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18274647

D-Nice says that Panasonic's 2011 sets will exceed Kuro black level performance, if the road map holds up

I really hope so because i'm waiting for it, got my little 42S1 until i get a 50" 2011 set.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laron /forum/post/18274773

i have read many times that the g20/g25 does not have any cooling fans around the back. How does this thing keep cool? Question for the owners: Does your set feel too hot? I have an enclosed space where i would mount this panel should i decide to get one.

Heat is a function of power consumed (used)

The 2010 panasonic plasma sets are more energy efficient so they should also run cooler !

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD52 /forum/post/18275172

Mine's been on all day. The back of the TV is cool -- I don't feel any warm spots. The screen is slightly warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman1666 /forum/post/18275637

The 2010 panasonic plasma sets are more energy efficient so they should also run cooler !

Thanks guys. One more question: Is there an option to permanently turn off the TV's built-in speakers? For instance, I want to connect a soundbar to the TV's audio out and program the TV's remote to control the soundbar's volume. I don't want the volume control adjusting both the TV's volume and the soundbar's volume simultaneously.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just received my 42G25. It's excellent right out of the box but I'm wondering if anyone has any custom calibration settings they recommend. Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
got my 50g25 earlier today. i love it so far right out of the box. im not very good with colors as i am color deficient
but i can say it looks great to me.

moved my 27" 1080i panny crt into the bedroom which also has a great picture it was just too small to get much enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta /forum/post/18272940

What kind of CRT are you using in this most recent post though, a TV or old PC monitor. Rather than cloning output across the CRT and G20 simultaneously, it would probably be better to compare the Macbook to the CRT--though if S-video is the best connection they have available, it probably won't make a difference.

It's a Sony Trinitron 30HS420. I can test the input with the laptop against the CRT over HDMI. I had to use S-Video to connect the CRT and plasma at the same time as those are the outputs the laptop has. I'll try and do a last round of tests with the laptop/CRt and laptop/plasma with the highest shutter I can manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD52 /forum/post/18275172

Ditto. The vents at the top are barely warm. Lower down the back the metal feels cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laron /forum/post/18275730

Thanks guys. One more question: Is there an option to permanently turn off the TV's built-in speakers?

Yup, you can disable them completely.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaildog /forum/post/18275991

got my 50g25 earlier today. i love it so far right out of the box. im not very good with colors as i am color deficient
but i can say it looks great to me.

moved my 27" 1080i panny crt into the bedroom which also has a great picture it was just too small to get much enjoyment out of it.

there is another thread for these models that D-nice started "officail 2010 Panasonic sttings". It will have some setting you can go by as a reference. every TV is different so it won't make the picture perfect, but it will make it a lot better than what you probably have now, based off of what you just said..

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laron /forum/post/18275730

Is there an option to permanently turn off the TV's built-in speakers? For instance, I want to connect a soundbar to the TV's audio out and program the TV's remote to control the soundbar's volume. I don't want the volume control adjusting both the TV's volume and the soundbar's volume simultaneously.

Yes you can turn the TV's internal speakers off in the audio menu.

However, the TV's Optical Audio Output is fixed/line-level; the TV's remote doesn't control the volume level of this output so when you say you want to "program the TV's remote to control the soundbar's volume" i hope you mean you have an aftermarket programmable remote and won't be using the Panasonic remote. If you use a sound bar with a Panasonic, you have to use the sound bar's remote to control the volume. And FWIW, the G20/G25 don't have an Analog Audio Output - it just has Optical.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvas /forum/post/18277155

there is another thread for these models that D-nice started "officail 2010 Panasonic sttings". It will have some setting you can go by as a reference. every TV is different so it won't make the picture perfect, but it will make it a lot better than what you probably have now, based off of what you just said..

Thanks, I saw the thread a few days ago and I have been waiting for the g25 settings. Not sure if I'll make any adjustments though.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaildog /forum/post/18277322

Thanks, I saw the thread a few days ago and I have been waiting for the g25 settings. Not sure if I'll make any adjustments though.

I have never seen any new TV look good with the factory default/out-of-the-box settings. You need to adjust them to your particular liking in your particular environment with your particular sources.

THX mode is intended for viewing cinema (like DVD or Blu-Ray movies) and in a darkened room at that. THX doesn't look good with HD TV programming (too dark, and it's not designed for broadcast TV anyway). I use Custom mode for HD TV.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18277372

I have never seen any new TV look good with the factory default/out-of-the-box settings. You need to adjust them to your particular liking in your particular environment with your particular sources.

THX mode is intended for viewing cinema (like DVD or Blu-Ray movies) and in a darkened room at that. THX doesn't look good with HD TV programming (too dark, and it's not designed for broadcast TV anyway). I use Custom mode for HD TV.

maybe im confused on what settings he will post i'm pretty new to all this. will he post settings for contrast/tint/sharpness etc? or from some other "calibration menu?"

ive never been fond of colors ever since elementary school when classmates were confused as to why the sky was purple and the grass was brown in my coloring book.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman1666 /forum/post/18275637

technically, heat rejected from a device is more a function of energy wasted, not energy consumed.

your 75 watt incandescent light bulb consumes roughly half the energy of your tv, but it rejects much more energy (hot hot hot!!) because it is less efficient at producing usable light than your tv is at producing beautiful images.

figured i could chime in on something that i am an expert on.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha /forum/post/18261522

Wow.. great idea, I didn't think about that before and I kept following the inventory at Best Buy waiting to purchase this TV. I just ordered 2 coupons from two different sellers so I could get them faster.

Thanks for the tip

Yep... it worked. Ordered my G20 last night for $1499 and they accepted the 10% off coupon. I got it for $1350 plus tax. It will be arriving on Saturday.

201 - 220 of 8617 Posts