AVS Forum banner

13701 - 13720 of 17662 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo63 /forum/post/13497474

Ok, I am sure this is answered on here before, but I could not find it.

How should I setup my Blu-Ray (PS3) output for the 1150hd?

Should I have it output 720P or 1080P?

Thanks!

I use 1080p24, ycbr for blu-ray, rgb limited for games, and superwhite on. Reference settings on the tv.

The wii is what I'm having a lot of trouble setting up. It seems like changing the colorspace from 2 to 1 for the wii makes it look "correct". Would using the User mode "day time" settings with picture/brightness set to a more conservative 29/0 and colorspace set to 1 instead of 2 give a fairly accurate picture on the Wii? It looks very similar to how it did on my HD sony crt in Pro mode with the warm color temperature doing so. A little more saturated, but my sony crt was a little undersaturated to try and tame red push. It's hard to tell if something is oversaturated when it's a video game (mario galaxy and ssbb).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick question: Is it possible to teach the 1150's remote to turn your receiver volume up and down? Looking at the manual it looks like it isn't, and they reserve that function for pioneer brand receivers. Hope that isn't the case.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
On my 6070, now 15 months old, i have been watching 2-3 hour NON- 16:9 aspect movies as well as 1-2 hour long 4:3 shows (sometimes I don't like the stretch mode) from day 1, as often as once/twice a week. I did not use any break-in cd...AND I DO NOT NOTICE ANY IR

My settings have been: Standard, color around -12, contrast 29, brightness -3.

On my 5080,now 3 months old, same story and similar settings, NO IR. (orbiter is on)

I think the PIO's and plasma's in general are much better in IR resistance than most people fear. I had the same question 15 month back a couple forum members responded saying not to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsalkire /forum/post/13496397

Hello,

I've logged 140 hours (99% full screen) on my new 5080 Do you think I'm now I/R safe if I watch a 3 hour 2.35 aspect ratio (black horizontal bars) DVD? If not, would I be safe to watch half the DVD, return to full screen for a few hours and then watch the other half of the DVD? Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 /forum/post/13493418

Thanks. I am trying to hear it. Everyone is asleep now so I can focus. Na, nothing. But maybe it didnt come yet. I am still excited and love this set. WOW is all that I can say. Mine was made in March 2008, so maybe they fixed the buzzing. What are your thoughts on that? People were saying that the buzzing is from a power supply. I dont believe that, but could be wrong.

As I posted earlier, the only time I can hear a buzz on my 6010 is when my ear is at most 2-3 inches from the screen. I believe this may be caused by interaction between 2 electro-magnetic fields, the Pio's and mine, but I have no scientifically confirmed data. I don't believe all the Kuro panels have and/or will develop a buzz. I have had mine since last Sept. (born on date Aug 07) and have never experienced buzzing save for the exception noted above.

I commented on this earlier, but, got no responses. I have my Pio plugged in to an Isobar HTB1 DISOCTR, from Tripplite. Don't know enough to have an opinion about whether or not that makes a difference. Just felt like I could expect to get better life out of the panel by feeding it a steady energy source.

PS: Still like to know more about orbiters too.

Atri

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks! Any reason for the 24p setting instead of the 30p output? Seems like 30p would give me a better picture unless the movie was set for 24.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 /forum/post/13495215

Awesome, thanks for the update. I actually have decided to not use the break-in DVD and to watch regular TV with D-nice reference settings, which look sweet. I also set my contrast to 33, per D-nice. This TV looks so good, I can't believe. I have decided to stay home to watch this bad boy!!

See, that's how it starts. Next thing you'll start making excuses like "I have a headache" and such so that you can stay home from a scheduled shopping trip or dinner with friends. Then you'll find yourself watching Sunrise International re-runs at 3:00am.

From one junkie to a future junkie, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svelte Penguin /forum/post/13499133

Quick question: Is it possible to teach the 1150's remote to turn your receiver volume up and down? Looking at the manual it looks like it isn't, and they reserve that function for pioneer brand receivers. Hope that isn't the case.

If your receiver supports HDMI-CEC, you can have the TV control the volume on your receiver. This works great with my Onkyo 805.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/13500370

What do you guys clean your screens with?

A cotton microfiber towel.....works great. It's dry, and picks up dust without scratching. You still need to rub softly but it works very well. You can get them at auto stores-I bought mine at Target.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just wanted to share my experience with professional level calibration for my Pioneer Kuro 150FD plasma. To begin with, this plasma, out of the box, is fairly close to perfection versus any other brand that I've been acquainted with so to expect much in the way of tweaked improvement through calibration was ify at best. My calibrator, Gregg Loewen explained that after optimizing the color, gray scale, gamma levels and white levels the depth of picture and perceived improvement in picture quality black levels would be very noticeable whether watching Blu-Ray or DIRECTV. The improvement is exceptional. The explanations, patience and results of this calibration effort was most assuredly money well spent. If anyone is interested along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States from Main to Florida for a truly immersive calibrative effort,I would ask you to run not walk to get Gregg Loewen of AV Lion to set you up with top tier service. You will not be disappointed in the least. His information is as follows:

Gregg Loewen

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc

THX Lead Video Systems Instructor

ISF Video Instructor

Datacolor Product Trainer

240 Knowlton Corner Rd

Farmington ME 04938

Office 207 778 5417

Mobile 201 232 3380

P.S. - let me know what you think after you all try Gregg. I was most impressed.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2000lange /forum/post/13501773

I just wanted to share my experience with professional level calibration for my Pioneer Kuro 150FD plasma.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel owner's list.

You can read about Gregg's other calibrations, and about other talented calibrators, by using the two links at the bottom of my post.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Quote:

My calibrator, Gregg Loewen explained that after optimizing the color, gray scale, gamma levels and white levels the depth of picture and perceived improvement in picture quality black levels would be very noticeable whether watching Blu-Ray or DIRECTV.

What colorspace are you set to, when viewing either source?

·
Registered
711 Posts
For what seems like no reason whatsoever, my 5080 has quit receiving signals from my remote. I have tested the remote (and replaced the batteries) and it is sending out some sort of IR signal but the TV isn't recognizing it. I have tried resetting the remote and the TV (by unplugging it for several minutes and letting it do a hard reset) but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPioneer /forum/post/13497584

Is this really recommended, if so why and for how long? I haven't seen this in D-Nice's settings...

Yes, Pioneer recommends this to reduce the risk of image retention. There should be a flyer included with your set entitled "To make sure your plasma display picture looks great", subtitled "Cautions regarding image retention". It is printed in three languages, one page per language. It recommends, along with using Energy Save Mode 1, that you set the Orbiter to "On" and turn on the gray side masks with their Brightness Sync set to "Auto" so that they vary in brightness with the picture.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfanatic /forum/post/13503339

For what seems like no reason whatsoever, my 5080 has quit receiving signals from my remote. I have tested the remote (and replaced the batteries) and it is sending out some sort of IR signal but the TV isn't recognizing it. I have tried resetting the remote and the TV (by unplugging it for several minutes and letting it do a hard reset) but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At this point I would call Pioneer.

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:

I just wanted to share my experience with professional level calibration for my Pioneer Kuro 150FD plasma. To begin with, this plasma, out of the box, is fairly close to perfection versus any other brand that I've been acquainted with so to expect much in the way of tweaked improvement through calibration was ify at best. My calibrator, Gregg Loewen explained that after optimizing the color, gray scale, gamma levels and white levels the depth of picture and perceived improvement in picture quality black levels would be very noticeable whether watching Blu-Ray or DIRECTV. The improvement is exceptional. The explanations, patience and results of this calibration effort was most assuredly money well spent. If anyone is interested along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States from Main to Florida for a truly immersive calibrative effort,I would ask you to run not walk to get Gregg Loewen of AV Lion to set you up with top tier service. You will not be disappointed in the least. His information is as follows:

Gregg Loewen

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc

THX Lead Video Systems Instructor

ISF Video Instructor

Datacolor Product Trainer

240 Knowlton Corner Rd

Farmington ME 04938

Office 207 778 5417

Mobile 201 232 3380

P.S. - let me know what you think after you all try Gregg. I was most impressed.

Which Color Space did Gregg calibrate to, CS1 or CS2? Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo63 /forum/post/13499958

Thanks! Any reason for the 24p setting instead of the 30p output? Seems like 30p would give me a better picture unless the movie was set for 24.

All, or almost all movies on Blu-ray are recorded at 1080/24p on the discs. If you set your player to output such material at 24p, and keep your plasma's PureCinema Film Mode selection set to "Advance" your set will display such material at 72p (each frame repeated 3 times) whenever it receives a 24p input.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/13500370

What do you guys clean your screens with?
Only use the included cloth. The screen has a special coating which is easily damaged. Never use any solvents, not even the screen cleaner from Monster.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Does the pro-110 have a better video processer than the 1150? It seems like everytime I look at both these sets side by side at tweeter the 110's pq is slightly better than the 1150.

I just want to make sure my head isnt just telling my eyes that becuase the 110 is a 1080p set. Coundnt get a clear answer for the sales guy to what I thought was a simple question so I figured I ask people who truly know if the 110 does have a better video processer.

Ultimatley Im just trying to justify the xtra $1800 I would be spending if I wnet with the 1080p set.

13701 - 13720 of 17662 Posts